PDA

View Full Version : Building my dream 240.. care to help? LS3 power, Kouki, more..

BoostyMcZface
04-10-2016, 04:26 AM
Sooo, I'm currently deployed and making a shopping list. just wondering what you guys think and if I'm forgetting anything important. Basis of build: little bit o road course, little bit o drag / airstrip attack.. and some Gumball style events in between, all while being fairly comfortable to drive. No stance, No stretched tires, not slammed, etc. Maybe some car shows, so it will be all one color and as clean as possible(within reason). I had a 95 no sunroof SE as my first car in highschool, which I wrecked. This is my second one. I also own a Z with more than a bit of blood, sweat and hard work into it. I do pretty much all my own work, and if I haven't done it, i'll try and learn how. Anyway.

The list! :loco:

-Fueled performance racing complete LSX swap kit + fuel kit
-L33 5.3
-T7575 Turbonetics turbo
-T56 Magnum
-Q45 rear diff
-Full cage
-Red 370z Akebonos front and rear+SS lines(370 hub / ebrake assy maybe instead of Z32)
-Custom header back x pipe exhaust w/ cutouts and cats w/ stock looking muffler
-Black OZ Racing Challenge HLT 18x9+20 18x10+25 wheels (for now, we'll see about others later)
-Gray paint, either Porsche Black Gray or something gunmetal metallic
-15 Gal Fuel Cell
-MCA Suspension X-R Series
-SPL bushings and arms

To be figured out
-Clutch package
-Hood / aero. something vented but clean. maybe small spoiler for drag.
-Body kit stuff. want something subtle, not sure what.
-Seats! I like OMP, Brides, Sparco (Evo and Pro2000) and Recaro. not sure which fit me best yet, 5'11 170. we'll see. also not sure on sliders.
-Audio: typical touch screen, decent mids and tweeters, probably 1 12" woofer

I think that's about it.

XMcEvilson
04-10-2016, 09:33 AM
I'll believe it when I see it scrub

JM216S14
04-10-2016, 10:20 AM
ughhhhhhhhhhhh

zeitgeist
04-10-2016, 10:25 AM
Dont blow all of your deployment money on a car. All that stuff is going to add up far more than what you think and I almost guarentee you'll go into debt(If you are around the rank I assume)

If you would have caught me earlier I would have sold you mine before I left Lewis. Now its across the country

KAT-PWR
04-10-2016, 11:07 AM
Another pipe dream thread....

Tight.

deolio
04-10-2016, 11:40 AM
cool

story

bro

turboshoebox
04-10-2016, 12:12 PM
how is someones dream car going the boring way of dropping a ls1 in a car and not something cool like a tomei rb28 or maxworx sr22vet?

BoostyMcZface
04-10-2016, 12:41 PM
There's a few reasons I don't want another boosted car at the moment. I already have 3. I know there's 'cooler' motor setups and different ways of doing it. I saw big dream builds on the 370z forum all the time that no one ever actually went through with. So I get it. I'm here for advice and insight, not to just say a bunch of shit and disappear in a few months.

BoostyMcZface
04-10-2016, 12:48 PM
Dont blow all of your deployment money on a car. All that stuff is going to add up far more than what you think and I almost guarentee you'll go into debt(If you are around the rank I assume)

If you would have caught me earlier I would have sold you mine before I left Lewis. Now its across the country

Appreciate the advice man. Rather than doing a corvette or something I chose another Nissan. Wanted another since I had my first. If I do it right I can keep it for a long time. I'm a single sergeant. All I do in my spare time is cars and it's what I'd like to do on the outside if I don't stick with jets. Just one of those things.. and doing it all myself saves me a ton of cash on top of it all

BOROSUN
04-10-2016, 01:42 PM
I have the same build expect w/ erod. all I can recommend is fortune auto and PBmax everything except sway bars, I use sikky and ISR (rear).

the rest is whatever your taste.

tuzzio
04-10-2016, 06:44 PM
The car scene was cooler when people built cars with parts they thought were rad, not what the internet told them to buy.

derass
04-10-2016, 07:54 PM
But even that has now gone down the gutter. The DIW thread is full of evidence.

rawgarage
04-11-2016, 12:37 AM
cool

story

bro

This thread better live up to this!

BoostyMcZface
04-11-2016, 03:37 AM
If you build stuff you want to drive and will enjoy, it's money well spent. I have too many friends who have built cars to tailor to what will win at shows and stuff and they end up hating their car. I was the first known person to boost a 370z in Washington state a few years ago and I did it in my garage and kept it a sleeper and semi secret for a couple years. I didn't win any shows but I love that car and have a blast driving it. You can see the build on the 370z forum under snowsurfdirtx, it's red and has white TE37s on it now with a Tomei, so it's not really a sleeper anymore, but I'd rather not race it and beat the hell out of it so I'm doing the 240. And I'm doing this build for me, cause I want to. Just here for a bit of advice and knowledge. There's so many slammed, stretched tire builds to sift through to find what parts work well for what I want it to do that I made this account and asked for opinions. I know there's a lot of good information and cool people here so I joined. There's always more to learn lol.. but I appreciate the advice.

I have been scoping out the fortune coils, the pb max stuff looks great too. The car has all ebay (I think) suspension on it at the moment from the previous owner so I want to replace it all and get shit I can trust. Looking up reviews is hard too because the country I'm in filters results so it can be hard to find stuff. Like I know kwv3s and full spl suspension would work great but there's a lot of brands I haven't heard of that seem to make great stuff but aren't as astronomically priced as the main stream parts

Skilz10179
04-11-2016, 03:54 AM
Keep it oem kouki, no aftermarket aero. Also, get a S15 diff.

XMcEvilson
04-11-2016, 03:58 AM
when I read 150 shot of nitrous, it makes me think of ricer kids at the highscool lunch table. if you're really going to put it together that's cool man. but don't forget to pick up 2 of the big ones from Harry's

JM216S14
04-11-2016, 04:18 AM
doublepost

JM216S14
04-11-2016, 04:19 AM
when I read 150 shot of nitrous, it makes me think of ricer kids at the highscool lunch table. if you're really going to put it together that's cool man. but don't forget to pick up 2 of the big ones from Harry's

https://media.giphy.com/media/K4OAHuXASluU0/giphy.gif

silviaks2nr
04-11-2016, 10:45 AM
buy an old muscle car and do a pro touring theme with it. It will be a much better driving car/investment.

Jorgs_7
04-11-2016, 10:57 AM
I guess there would be a few things I see here:

You're going to be DEEP into this. Full paint, body, drivetrain, EMS, suspension, interior, etc. Id guess 25k$ at LEAST.

All godspeed suspension is complete (ebay) shit.

Add another 1000$ for wiring
Add another 2000$ for all the bull shit.

But sounds awesome, if you can swing it financially. What's your budget?

LockOn!
04-11-2016, 11:59 AM
Dream 240

LSX

touch screen

12" woofer

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/1e/fd/ec/1efdecbb6d31fc11df0a49a6e30f29c2.jpg

driftsucky
04-11-2016, 12:24 PM
DO THIS
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5771/21504752911_51976ab283_o.jpg
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5783/21496187105_f9a00bd522_o.jpg
But paint it greenish. Done.
or

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6033/6342482208_f83aa775f1_b.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7193/6819889142_a428166f46_b.jpg
or do this..but paint it reddish. done

I like LS's in cars that aren't corvettes.

OBEEWON
04-11-2016, 12:36 PM
How you gonna car show with no stance? Dafuq?

benarovi
04-11-2016, 12:41 PM
bro im gonna help you out on this one.
first before even getting the car, buy the biggest widest lowest offset wheels possible. girls love cambergang bro do it.
then just get a stock ass car and add a shit load of camber to tuck da wheels camber it bro -12 at least. thats all you need to do. then just get a bunch of pictures parked at a car meet with your vape and become insta famous. dont even drive it. just get it towed to the car meet.

turbo2nr
04-11-2016, 12:46 PM
^^^ this.

this guy figured out the car scene in 2016.

OBEEWON
04-11-2016, 01:30 PM
Or just get a Mustang and run people over.

Your IG will be poppin'

Cnoevo22
04-11-2016, 01:53 PM
Sounds good but it expensive and some of the parts are getting harder to find. I'm doing something similar, with the rear end and finding a pre 94 q45 is tough. Good luck though.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

derass
04-11-2016, 02:02 PM
Fuck it, Winters Quick-change while we're at it.

BoostyMcZface
04-11-2016, 02:18 PM
I thought about oldschool. I used to help out on a vara and hsr west porsche team and there was some badass stuff that ran with us. I'll save that build for later.
I already own the car, found one just like my first own I had in highschool and swooped it up.

Jorge, yeah it's going to be a big build. You're right on with how much my spread sheet came out to. 20-25k is what I came up with depending on deals. Ordering my spl stuff tomorrow, super cool dudes to chat with. Debating coils still. Looking at Feal, we'll see what they email me back with. I still need to do some research, two way would be nice but it's not a deal breaker. I was definitely joking about godspeed. Though a buddy of mine runs their monomax with swifts on his r32 track car and likes em. Rear diff I may have a hook up on a Tomei setup. I know nice stuff is getting hard to find, so much gets ruined every year

The red 240 looks great, the green too but a little low and stretched for my liking. Nice motor choice ;)

No thanks on negative offsets and huge camber. Lol it saddens me seeing stuff you can't use to its full potential.

Mustang... I'd rock a termi..or a late 60s fastback.. but cars and coffee bystanders lives matter ;)

zeitgeist
04-12-2016, 05:55 AM
How long have you been in WA? Im surprised i never saw you around

I would definately recommend kw coils. I had a megan/swift combo that were better than fortune auto. No experience with feal.
The koni/gc setup can be a hit or miss. When i got them used off someone, they felt great but ride height was all jacked up, with the car monster trucking in the front. To try and compensate, the previous owner lowered them using the spring adjustment, which eventually resulted in blown struts. Its a big gamble with the amount of money spent

BoostyMcZface
04-12-2016, 07:56 AM
I moved there from Alaska in 2012, I go to all the shows and stuff, like Nissan fest, drift con, forum fest, etc etc. I was a Top 8 show car at Drift Con if you went to that. I'm usually cruising with PNW_INC, Modified Elite, the Focus ST group or Legacy Ohana dudes.

A lot of the 370z guys run KW stuff and like it. I think I'll just go with Fortune or Feal and see how well everything works. It's not going to be the end all track car with this setup anyway, and if I want more later I can go for it or try a sponsorship program out.

Z pics in case you've seen me running around. What do you drive?

http://i.imgur.com/w26BuWO.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/SlLRrsA.jpg

JM216S14
04-12-2016, 08:39 AM
Zilvia is the new grindr

BoostyMcZface
04-12-2016, 09:57 AM
why do you think I joined? duh

OZ wheels, 18x9+20 18x10+25 ordered as well as SPL tie rod ends, rucas, traction rods, tension arms, rear toe arms, solid diff and subframe bushings also on the way. Thanks Mike if you're reading.

mr.nismo.
04-13-2016, 04:53 AM
Def do the s15 diff. I loveeeeeee mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BoostyMcZface
04-13-2016, 06:06 AM
Niceee. To do the S15 diff, I think I'd just need diff, 6 bolt output shafts, and use whatever ring and pinion I want.. the lower the better.. what ratio did you use?

zeitgeist
04-13-2016, 08:35 AM
I met the legacy Ohana guys at a show. Real nice people. Ive been forever trying to find a 4wd GS400/Aristo variant that one guy had since I talked to him. Ive yet to even see one on the internet

I drove a gunmetal LSX swapped S14. I bought it off a guy up there and changed up a bunch and was driving it from mid 2013-late 2015. Do not like FA and used it as a DD. Stance actually has a setup designed specifically for LSX swapped 240s. Never used it, just throwing it out there. Whatever you get though I recommend the rear z32 uprights and spherical bushings. Those and the polyurethane bushings are probably my favorite suspension parts

Shameless FS plug of my car
http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=625462

Ive also got the hlsd as well w/ 3.69 gears. Awesome for the LSX. Excellent compromise between accelaeration, MPG, and daily driveability. Ive never driven with an LSD to give a comparison though

driftsucky
04-13-2016, 09:27 AM

Ive also got the hlsd as well w/ 3.69 gears. Awesome for the LSX. Excellent compromise between accelaeration, MPG, and daily driveability. Ive never driven with an LSD to give a comparison though

Not for nothing, but I'd buy your car. I'm not gonna, but if I were looking for an LS swapped 240, I'd buy your car. I want your car. I love LSx'd cars...unless they came with it. Cuz then it's a GM and I don't like GM's interiors. But, man, your car.

BoostyMcZface
04-13-2016, 09:42 AM
I met the legacy Ohana guys at a show. Real nice people. Ive been forever trying to find a 4wd GS400/Aristo variant that one guy had since I talked to him. Ive yet to even see one on the internet

I drove a gunmetal LSX swapped S14. I bought it off a guy up there and changed up a bunch and was driving it from mid 2013-late 2015. Do not like FA and used it as a DD. Stance actually has a setup designed specifically for LSX swapped 240s. Never used it, just throwing it out there. Whatever you get though I recommend the rear z32 uprights and spherical bushings. Those and the polyurethane bushings are probably my favorite suspension parts

yeah the Legacy dudes are pretty cool. I'm bummed I'm missing car show season this year :(

Clean Zenki though man, bet you'll be sad to see her go. What offset are those wheels? Looks like a bit of a pull too? That color is one of my favorites. That'll be a great buy for someone.

I'm considering the uprights, though I hear they can have coil bind issues due to angle. Also SPL mentioned they make monoball bushings, I'm not sure what the car has in it since most the crap underneath is aftermarket so I held off. And for the hlsd with 3.69s it sounded like a nice setup, glad you liked it. I don't want to be starting out in second gear all day, or wagging the ass end like I'm in a twerk video every time I step on the gas. Lol I'll give Stance a call and see what they say. Can never hurt to hear more information

zeitgeist
04-13-2016, 10:04 AM
Offset is somewhere in the -20s; so not your style haha. Yeah first owner did a pretty good job with the pull on the front and rear

Im actually using the SPL monoball bushings for the uprights. No binding at all. When I bought the car, they were using the stock bushings. Now that looked scary

BoostyMcZface
04-13-2016, 10:51 AM
Hahaha yeah. I'd hate to order them and some crazy reason the car has them already. A couple buddies hinted at going over and throwing my suspension shit on before I get home as a deployment welcome home gift. Which I wouldn't mind. Lol I'll keep that in mind though, cause if they're stock I'm definitely picking a set up. I think a good coilover will help alleviate a little of the nvh the solid stuff will bring anyway

mr.nismo.
04-13-2016, 01:55 PM
Niceee. To do the S15 diff, I think I'd just need diff, 6 bolt output shafts, and use whatever ring and pinion I want.. the lower the better.. what ratio did you use?

Stock 4.08. I just swapped my ring gear to the s15 diff. And yeah you pretty much hit it on the head with what you need.

BoostyMcZface
04-14-2016, 06:37 AM
did you do the whole S15 pumpkin and then just change the ring and pinion? I found a whole pumpkin for sale for 500 bucks.. debating picking that up. Fortune Auto hit me back, you guys think 9k/6k is a bit of a spread, even for an LS swap?

My wheels came in incredibly quick.. now to talk my roommate into throwing them on to check fitment.

Also ordered a Personal Neo Grinta wheel today. Gonna hold off on the hub to see if I want standard or short. But yeah.

zeitgeist
04-18-2016, 09:00 PM
Ive got the 8/6. Spring feels good, just do your best to make sure the struts get valved the aay you want

And got for the short hub unless you like the steering wheel sitting near your chest

mr.nismo.
04-19-2016, 01:15 AM
did you do the whole S15 pumpkin and then just change the ring and pinion? I found a whole pumpkin for sale for 500 bucks.. debating picking that up. Fortune Auto hit me back, you guys think 9k/6k is a bit of a spread, even for an LS swap?

My wheels came in incredibly quick.. now to talk my roommate into throwing them on to check fitment.

Also ordered a Personal Neo Grinta wheel today. Gonna hold off on the hub to see if I want standard or short. But yeah.

http://zilvia.net/f/attachment.php?attachmentid=92391&d=1460637187

No, just the diff itself and output shafts. I had an open diff on my s13 so all I had to do is take the open diff out, swap the ring gear to the helical and throw it back in, super simple. 500 is a good price for the whole pumpkin, shipped?

BoostyMcZface
04-19-2016, 04:27 AM
I missed out on the whole diff deal. I don't think it included shipping though.. I'll see what comes across ebay and stuff in the next few weeks and see what I can find and hope I get lucky lol

How do you like the 8/6? What do you use your car for? I'm actually going with MCA Suspension and probably will pick up their X Series. So that'll be interesting. I just want semi comfy stuff that will perform well when needed.

I asked my roommate to throw two wheels on and take a pic so I could see fitment, but he forgot to take the 20mm spacer off forgot to take a pic of the rear. Derp. Pics though, I think they'll look pretty good. Thoughts? One day I'll replace them with LMGT4s.

Ordering carpet from Auto Trim Truck Supply, a Rapfix quick release and short hub, the MCA coilovers and a few other things this week.. The Personal should be in tomorrow with all my SPL stuff. Also need to figure out what seat rails to pick up.. I know I'm forgetting stuff I need too. I need to find a stock Kouki hood and hood latch assy, the carbon one on there fits terrible and a previous owner removed the hood latch assy :(

http://zilvia.net/f/attachment.php?attachmentid=92446&d=1461057440
http://zilvia.net/f/attachment.php?attachmentid=92445&d=1461057426

s14hunter
04-20-2016, 08:52 AM
I'm just now finishing up my LS/T56 swap with the Fueled Racing kit. The swap kit is super high quality and the guys at Fueled are outstanding to deal with as well. I have a 12gal fuel cell in the trunk too, so if you have any questions feel free to PM me :rawk:
Current status, getting ready for test fire:

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s124/NAbrams/20160417_164541.jpg

Fuel cell mounted:
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s124/NAbrams/20160308_201018.jpg

s14hunter
04-20-2016, 09:05 AM
I'm just now finishing up my LS/T56 swap with the Fueled Racing kit. The swap kit is super high quality and the guys at Fueled are outstanding to deal with as well. I have a 12gal fuel cell in the trunk too, so if you have any questions feel free to PM me :rawk:
Current status, getting ready for test fire:

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s124/NAbrams/20160417_164541.jpg

BoostyMcZface
05-28-2016, 06:31 AM
Just saw your post man lol how's it coming? I assume it's been fired and is running?

I switched my setup a bit. Doing a L33, 5.3l v8 with a single T7575. More power, cheaper, and I can change boost for each situation.

Bought some stuff.... and I'll be doing a full review on the MCA coilovers since there isn't much information on here, especially regarding the new X-R series.
http://zilvia.net/f/attachment.php?attachmentid=92548&d=1461528067
http://zilvia.net/f/attachment.php?attachmentid=92549&d=1461528112
http://zilvia.net/f/attachment.php?attachmentid=92550&d=1461528162
http://zilvia.net/f/attachment.php?attachmentid=92551&d=1461528190
http://zilvia.net/f/attachment.php?attachmentid=92552&d=1461528239
http://zilvia.net/f/attachment.php?attachmentid=92553&d=1461528282
http://zilvia.net/f/attachment.php?attachmentid=92555&d=1461528375
http://zilvia.net/f/attachment.php?attachmentid=93296&d=1464437550
http://zilvia.net/f/attachment.php?attachmentid=93297&d=1464437579
http://zilvia.net/f/attachment.php?attachmentid=93298&d=1464437602
http://zilvia.net/f/attachment.php?attachmentid=93299&d=1464437630

BoostyMcZface
05-28-2016, 06:32 AM
ugh sorry about big pictures, I'll get those adjusted once I'm off work.

KAT-PWR
05-28-2016, 07:34 AM
Please make a thread in the builds section.

BoostyMcZface
05-29-2016, 10:30 AM
i will, it's not a build thread.. i'm just trying to get all my parts together and get some advice on stuff. I'm deployed so I can't wrench on the car for a few more months, so I'm learning and buying and seeing what people think / what they recommend. I figured I'd post some of the stuff I've already bought, so the ones doubting it may be more helpful. Plus, the MCA coils, if they work well, could add another option for quality suspension that there aren't really any reviews on for this forum. but I will make one once I start building it for sure. should be fun to document.