PDA

View Full Version : Z32 TT turbine housing swap?

QuickShift
05-12-2015, 10:14 AM
I'm swapping engines on a 95 twin turbo with a manual trans, and the motor I bought turns out to be from an automatic... The turbos on this engine use the .54 turbo exhaust housings, while the manual uses the .63

My question is: Will the .54 housings line up with the stock exhaust that is meant for the 'manual' turbos? I know the flanges are the same, but I don't know if the spacing is different..

I would just use the .63's but one is damaged. Just hoping someone knows before I go through the work to find out lol....

QuickShift
05-28-2015, 10:36 AM
Just for the archives:

The automatic (.54) turbine housings have nearly the same dimensions as the manual (.63) for mounting, but the wastegates are different. I tried installing the automatic wastegate actuators and still couldn't get it to fit properly. Not sure whats going on, I tried clocking the turbo and still couldn't get it right.

Where the actuator rod meets the wastegate, the .54 is slanted while the .63 is nearly 90*.

RalliartRsX
05-28-2015, 10:50 AM
The problem is the physicl dimension. If a wheel that is made to fit in the .63 housing, it will have a difficult timing squeezing into something physically smaller.

I am not versed in Z, but that would be my first issue I would think of.

QuickShift
05-28-2015, 11:00 AM
The turbine/fan is the same on both turbos. I bolted both housings on before I mounted the wastegates and realized they were stuck open with no pressure at the actuator.

RalliartRsX
05-28-2015, 11:43 AM
Then you should be fine (apart from wastegate mounting and full stroke operation)