PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about moving to Portland.

ZenkiKid
11-17-2014, 07:57 AM
Lets face it. California taxes up the ass and at this point with the rise of cost of living you pretty much need to clear 6 figures to live comfortably here.

Without disclosing anything too personal; I have a bachelors degree and I work a white collar job for the local government and I cant even afford to move out of my parents house. (Thats how high rent has gotten) How sad is that? I cant do this because of how much income tax bites me in the ass every paycheck. I mean i could pull it off but I would be literally scraping by each month. Im not about to pick up a second job just to stay afloat.

Gotta work to live not live to work.

I just came back from a 4 day trip up there and I LOVE the area and the friendliness of the people.

The thing I loved the most is that its pro-small business and very blue collar.

Any advice on those who live in Portland can share? What areas to look into? Hows the job market?

Wykydtron
11-17-2014, 03:01 PM
I'm not from the area but if you end up near Portland... PARC is effing amazing... and if you want to do some drag or road racing PIR is an awesome track...

angel mkiv
11-17-2014, 05:00 PM
Ever consider Seattle instead?
http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=569533
Some good reasons in this thread why..

ZenkiKid
11-18-2014, 10:25 AM
I think I would prefer Portland because I hear that Seattle is pretty fast paced.

Is the "seattle freeze" true? I also heard that it applies to everywhere in the PNW.

I mean whenever I travel I do my best to not stick out like a sore thumb. I also am very polite and respectful.

Wykydtron
11-18-2014, 12:42 PM
I think I would prefer Portland because I hear that Seattle is pretty fast paced.

Is the "seattle freeze" true? I also heard that it applies to everywhere in the PNW.

I mean whenever I travel I do my best to not stick out like a sore thumb. I also am very polite and respectful.

Seattle and Portlands climates are similar, however Portland is warmer during the winters. It doesn't snow in the Seattle Metropolitan area that often because the cloud coverage usually brings warmer temperatures. Seattle is more known for the drizzle, on and off rain. In other areas of Western Washington we can go from snow, rain, lightning, to sunny blue skies in a matter of hours.

Personally I don't know Portland to well, the geology is a little different and it's further south.

angel mkiv
11-18-2014, 02:24 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by "Seattle freeze". Can you explain??

w0nderbr3ad
11-18-2014, 03:42 PM
Lets face it. California taxes up the ass and at this point with the rise of cost of living you pretty much need to clear 6 figures to live comfortably here.

You too man? I've seriously considered moving somewhere in the NWP just because the cost of living is more affordable. I can't do that until I've established some experience in my field. As soon as that time comes, I'm out of here. The downsides are always the cost of shipping for getting 240sx parts instead of picking them up.

ZenkiKid
11-18-2014, 05:15 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by "Seattle freeze". Can you explain??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle_Freeze

e1_griego
11-18-2014, 05:32 PM
Lots of government jobs in Salem which is 45min south of PDX (if you're looking to stay in gov't). Car culture is pretty fail in the NW. Lots of the cars from the "doing it wrong" thread are from the NW and it's a pretty accurate representation. The NW car community generally is broke as hell.

Salem is cheap to live and close to everything (1hr from: PDX, mountains, coast) but it's a mostly quiet town with only 150k residents.

Job market in Ore. isn't great. Weather isn't as bad as everyone says though I think Seattle gets more grey/rain than Oregon, I'd have to look it up to confirm.

Wykydtron
11-18-2014, 05:47 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle_Freeze

Interesting, I've never heard the term before. I asked a colleague about this (he actually lives in North Seattle in the Fremont Area) and he would agree with the article. People are polite but dry, on the go, not as open as some cities. But in his (and Seattles defense) he did point out that if you're "into Seattle sports, it brings the people together." I would definitely agree, Sounders, Seahawks, and Mariner fans can get riled up.

angel mkiv
11-18-2014, 06:56 PM
Lots of government jobs in Salem which is 45min south of PDX (if you're looking to stay in gov't). Car culture is pretty fail in the NW. Lots of the cars from the "doing it wrong" thread are from the NW and it's a pretty accurate representation. The NW car community generally is broke as hell.

Salem is cheap to live and close to everything (1hr from: PDX, mountains, coast) but it's a mostly quiet town with only 150k residents.

Job market in Ore. isn't great. Weather isn't as bad as everyone says though I think Seattle gets more grey/rain than Oregon, I'd have to look it up to confirm.

I agree to this in the term of most s-chassis cars around are pretty shitty..only a select few nice 240's in the area.but hey maybe it's because it rains drift lube a lot and all are ruined??

ZenkiKid
11-19-2014, 09:43 AM
Sounds like I could be a pioneer (hah) around those parts if I bring my s13 up there with me. just kidding. Hah.

Man, the fact that I could get a redone single story home with a 2 car garage for around < $1k a month mortgage sounds very very tempting.

pancakes
11-19-2014, 01:40 PM
That seattle freeze is a bunch of crap. Super outdated and that article discusses nordic immigrants lol and ive been in the area for 24 years and have never heard of it if that tells you anything. Portland will be a degree or two warmer than seattle, but nothing significant. Both portland and seattle have good sized suburbs, so that shouldnt be a factor. Honestly I think it comes down to what type of work youre in. But to put it into perspective, a person I know moved from Olympia to San Diego and only made it a month before they realized theyd never make it. btw olympia is just about the middle of portland and seattle but is a little smaller yet still has gov jobs. just avoid tacoma

ZenkiKid
11-19-2014, 04:20 PM
That seattle freeze is a bunch of crap. Super outdated and that article discusses nordic immigrants lol and ive been in the area for 24 years and have never heard of it if that tells you anything. Portland will be a degree or two warmer than seattle, but nothing significant. Both portland and seattle have good sized suburbs, so that shouldnt be a factor. Honestly I think it comes down to what type of work youre in. But to put it into perspective, a person I know moved from Olympia to San Diego and only made it a month before they realized theyd never make it. btw olympia is just about the middle of portland and seattle but is a little smaller yet still has gov jobs. just avoid tacoma

Yup. San Diego is expensive. Good thing your pal realized fairly quickly that they werent going to make it instead of totally fucking themselves over by staying on the sinking ship.

But yeah the job I have I would be living pretty comfortably up there while down here I would struggle to pay rent hah. The sunshine tax as what its nicknamed isnt all its cracked up to be to be honest.

A friend of mine (who works the same type and level job as I do) lived in Seattle for a few years and had a corporate job with Starbucks. He said he moved into a pretty nice condo and was paying less than $800 with utilities. The only reason why he moved back to San Diego is because he was sick of the weather and he was getting homesick and wanted to move back down here. He did tell me that if he did stay up there he wouldve been a homeowner by now guaranteed.

Wykydtron
11-19-2014, 04:31 PM
Yup. San Diego is expensive. Good thing your pal realized fairly quickly that they werent going to make it instead of totally fucking themselves over by staying on the sinking ship.

But yeah the job I have I would be living pretty comfortably up there while down here I would struggle to pay rent hah. The sunshine tax as what its nicknamed isnt all its cracked up to be to be honest.

A friend of mine (who works the same type and level job as I do) lived in Seattle for a few years and had a corporate job with Starbucks. He said he moved into a pretty nice condo and was paying less than $800 with utilities. The only reason why he moved back to San Diego is because he was sick of the weather and he was getting homesick and wanted to move back down here. He did tell me that if he did stay up there he would've been a homeowner by now guaranteed.

I know it's a long shot but if you're anywhere in the northwest I'd say try snowboarding or skiing as a Winter pass time... You don't have to go for broke or become some hardcore snow bum... It can be relaxing to sit up high and enjoy the blue skies while down below there's drizzle and rain. I lived in Bellingham WA for 8 years, I figured out real quick that a good way to get out during the winter is just to head to the mountain and enjoy the snow. You'll also notice there is a ton of Subaru nuts up here (I see this as a positive, the smart Subie guys are fun to get along with. I actually bought a WRX as a daily alternative to my s13. Jetta TDI for long commutes or long range parts getter!)

It's a complete opposite perspective from California sun and it might not be your cup of tea but you'll never know until you try it. It certainly helped me stay in shape and kept me physically active during the Winters. I actually got more into going to the gym during the weeks because I wanted to stay in shape and work my core. My train of thought was like "oh it's raining all week, MORE SNOW on the slopes!"

As spring rolls around, the blue bird days are amazing... Relaxing in the sun drinking beer or harder cider to numb the body at the end of the day... Or just getting into hiking early spring, it will last through summer! I know a lot of Navy guys that get stationed in Everett... They're from the midwest or east coast... They don't know what to do until they start looking for the positive Winter activities.

BlueKpS13
11-19-2014, 09:14 PM
If you can deal with rain, retarded bicyclists, and income tax, then you should be good. Portland is awesome. Tons to do, fairly inexpensive, and its still close to Seattle. I agree with Greigo though...car scene is trash up here.

e1_griego
11-19-2014, 11:23 PM
Living in Seattle proper for any sort of reasonable price seems far-fetched. My buddies who live there pay more for rent than I pay for my mortgage (with property tax, etc. all rolled into the payment).

Even pdx is sort of spendy, but that's because my frame of reference is a lot different since I live in a cheap place.

ZenkiKid
11-20-2014, 05:35 PM
You'll also notice there is a ton of Subaru nuts up here (I see this as a positive, the smart Subie guys are fun to get along with. I actually bought a WRX as a daily alternative to my s13. Jetta TDI for long commutes or long range parts getter!)

Dude when I was up there last week in PDX I saw legacy/outback wagons EVERYWHERE.

Income tax in OR is still cheaper than what I pay here in San Diego.

ZenkiKid
11-21-2014, 11:01 AM
Is it true that DEQ is all sniffer?

Ive heard that SRs sniff much cleaner than KAs

wussmonster
11-21-2014, 11:25 AM
Deq for my hatch is all Sniffer. Just throw a cat on and if you're shit is running clean you'll pass. I've had my SR tested the last two times with zero issues like this

Sent from my XT603 using Tapatalk 2

ZenkiKid
11-21-2014, 02:28 PM
Sweet.

Definitely learning towards Portland if I do make the move up o the NW.

I also love how people of the PNW LOVE their sports teams, From College all the way up to the pros.

I saw Damian Lillards face everywhere I went when I was up there last week.

ZenkiKid
05-31-2015, 08:50 PM
Im going to be heading back up to Portland later on this year with hopes of deciding whether or not I should move up there or not.

Cloud_Strife
08-01-2015, 03:51 PM
lol, I'm surprised nobody who lives in Portland chimed in.

Portland is alright. Basically you either live "west" or "east" of the river. The west side is where Portland state is and where all the upperechelon white-colar people live and or work.

Intel is also based on the west area, so many of the surrounding towns have wealthy people living in them and subsequently it has a very "clean" feel to it. I live in Beaverton, which is where the majority of people live. It's clean, has a ton of cops, and the public transportation is pretty great. Up here they value nature like the Japanese, so lots of green everywhere--trees, bushes whatever you can fit.

However, it is very expensive out here. Because so many people are moving to the PNW due to increases in hot weather and cost of living (especially cali), the prices have shot up 200% for real estate. In the 80's or 90's things were affordable, but right now in my area you cannot find a "starter" home for less than 200k (150-160 if it's in need of a lot of handiwork). Also, because so many people cannot afford homes, the requirements for apply for a loan are strict I've heard, and good credit is highly important.

Portland suffers from high cost of living, especially real estate because unlike other cities UGL (urban growth limits) are very strict. What this means is that when populations increase in the city, land runs out. Usually, the city will buy rural land or have land set aside for building when that happens. Portland does not follow this so blatantly. I believe it's a tactic for real estate to keep prices high, by stating it's for environmental reasons.

If you have a degree, it won't really mean much. So many people come out here with the mindset of "I'll find a job" (including myself), and get thrown into the pool of an already insane number of unemployment. Portland (and Seattle as well) is having a very hard time keeping up with employment in respect to new residents. Many people with degrees find themselves working just barely over minimum wage.

Now there are ways around this: If you have worked in government before, or are interested in asian studeis/business or engineer studies/background (specifically technology), you should be fine.

I'm not saying if you move here you can't find a job and you'll be begging on the street, just that a lot of people seem to have misguided information about job placement here.

Oh, and on the "east" side-- the further east you go, the more ghetto it is. Living around the world, I'd say Portland's worst is much safer than any other city, but there are still gang, violence, and drug issues. There is a big "gentrification" going on in the eastern districts though, as an attempt by the city to keep pushing poor people further and further away.

The people are cool, yeah. Being from Florida where everyone hates their life and you're on drugs or want to sell something if you talk to strangers; it was a real delight coming here. Yes, I would say people are more generally friendly.

However, it can be quite hard to make friends. I notice here in the PNW, people make 1 or 2 super close friends and stick to em. It's not like the east coast where I have a friend for every different car and we all get together frequently. It's just an odd switch for me. When you do find someone you can get along with, it is a lot better though. It's easier to find people who are into anime, JDM weebu stuff and still have a life. Hell, there are job offers on CL for Hentai illustrators haha. Just a very different open vibe about who you are and what you like-- people don't care if what they like isn't mainstream and I think that's cool.

It can be hard sometimes to find people who want to "do stuff" though. Sure, there are hikes and all kinds of other stuff to do, but it can be really hard to set things up without someone flaking or changing their mind. Not really sure what that's about..

Driving/car enthusiast wise it's ok. The roads are amazing, and in my area there are tons of well-maintained mountain/hill climb roads and treasures you can find everywhere. I've lived here for a year and have never been pulled over--the longest I've gone anywhere! The only problem is there aren't a lot of tuner shops, or trustworthy shops in my opinion. It can be hard to find car enthusiasts, and when you do find them it's overwhelmingly Subaru, volksvagon, and other cars that aren't your typical lineup. The guys and gals are cool though, and seem a mite more intelligent from my experience then most scenes I've been around.

Leading up to that, Portland is nice, it's clean, and even in some of the worst parts it is pretty safe overall. Honestly though, it's boring. 8/10 times when people want to go "do something", they take a trip north to Seattle or elsewhere. Me myself, I've taken 6 trips up to Seattle/Bellingham within the last 2 months. People don't come to Portland for fun, they go to Seattle.

If you are a big bar guy, Portland is probably your thing. But you have to sort of "establish" yourself as a regular to be treated fair sometimes. You won't be kicked out the door for not knowing everyone's name, but it's definitely a different treatment.

Personally, for me I don't like downtown Portland. I'm a big House, Drum and Bass, old school Jungle and Trance guy, and the music scene here sucks. Big time. It's a lot like Hawaii, crap dubstep and weird mixes with DJs that think they're some kind of DJ god.

Also the weather. It really is not that as bad as people say. In terms of rain, we've actually had a lot of dry months, and it didn't rain much. When it gets cold, it's not unbearable and it rarely snows (depends on where you are). Portland is actually pretty middle of the road, except for the increasingly warm summers. Right now it's 102. I never thought the PNW would get like that, but it does, and it sucks. The apartments and most housing do not have central A/C so it can be pretty brutal. Overall though, it's some of the best driving weather year-round you can get, and still have seasons.

Also, forgot to add a note about apartments. They are insanely costly. I actually had an easier time finding affordable apartments in Hawaii (that were quite cheap with respect to cost of living). As I said before, I live in an area that's a little more pricey, but I currently rent out my apartment for 875, and that is a steal. My landlord makes no money off of me, and I'm quite certain she loses money when HOA fees are due. The apartment real estate market is massive and evil here. You won't be able to afford housing, so you are forced into apartments which get more and more costly every year. I believe Griego stated this, but ironically people who purchase homes have 50% less, or even more of a mortgage payment than someone who pays rent in an Apt. My teacher, who I'm good friends with, lives in Hillsboro (which is a little more country) and pays like 500 for her mortgage on a 3/2 with land. Most people around here can pay 900-1200 a month for an apt so it's pretty crazy. *Also, side note: If you do go to school out here the faculty is awesome. I'm friends with many of my teachers and the mutual respect is great; I don't feel like I'm a subordinate like in the service.

On a positive note, I don't know if it's because so many people are forced to live in apts, but the power of the renter is quite good. If you have a landlord that is screwing you over or lying to you, Portland does not mess around and you have many avenues to go about it. This is a pretty big difference from past states where it's a "shit happens" mentality.

For the area I think there are just random little cool things that make me like the place. There is a japanese only book store up the road, I like how the gas is not self-service (LIKE MAD INITIAL D TAKUMI DAY JOB YO), and the fact that there are so many nice pleasurable drives and random little secret spots you can find.

Honestly though, for me I'm thinking of moving on. Seattle is a little too intense and dirty for me. And it has a lot more rough patches. I need to PM whoever was talking about Bellingham because that place is the shit.

It all depends on what you want. You can overcome any of the problems I've listed by just using your head. 2 bedroom apts are around the same price as 1 beds, and many people just get a buddy or a roommate to fill the second spot; just as an example.

I moved here from Hawaii and OR really took care of me. There are tons of programs to help you find jobs, look for work, and get money to help you adjust. I think as a state it really takes care of people, and it's one of the few cities/ states where quality seems more important than quantity (kinda the feeling you get when in Japan) and it shows.

I really didn't look to see how old this was, but give it a shot. It's clean, nice, and safe. The job market isn't amazing, but I think Portland is a good place to start, and, if you're like me, you'll just keep moving north until you're Canadian :).

You only live once, give it a shot.

P.S> Griego lives south of Portland in Salem, but he is your man. You can berate him with questions and he'll give ya open arms :) Also, a lot of people live in the Salem and south portland areas such as Wilsonville, where housing is MUCH more affordable, and you can still drive towards portland where most jobs are with little traffic. Also, I'm going to type in all caps here: DO NOT MOVE TO VANCOUVER. You will regret it. It is a town just a couple miles north of the city where cheap housing and a close commute make it ideal. However, you have to cross ONE bridge with tens of thousands of other commuters every morning/late afternoon and the traffic is horrible and fraught with accidents. Do your reasearch; City-data is a great site that has many threads about preparing to move to Portland.

Cloud_Strife
08-01-2015, 04:07 PM
Deq for my hatch is all Sniffer. Just throw a cat on and if you're shit is running clean you'll pass. I've had my SR tested the last two times with zero issues like this

Sent from my XT603 using Tapatalk 2

^This. DEQ is a joke. I was worried whenever I would get cars tested, cars that I thought would be impounded, they were so ZOMGJDMODRIFTO, and the testers didn't even bat an eye. Honestly, if you couldn't even throw a cat on, there are many ways to go around it. Legally, the car has to be made before 1975 to be exempt. It is 20 bucks for the test and from my past experience, 190 to register and title a vehicle (mine have all been out of state).

Cloud_Strife
08-01-2015, 04:12 PM
I agree to this in the term of most s-chassis cars around are pretty shitty..only a select few nice 240's in the area.but hey maybe it's because it rains drift lube a lot and all are ruined??

Damn I need to shut up. Anyway, just wanted to add on to this. It sucks trying to find a decent car up here, espeically an s chassis. They are always fucked, bondo, wrecks, rust, 4 different colors, and tons of issues. IF you do find a clean one, it has so much money and mods into it, it's more than likely out of your price range and no fun.

I've bought 4 cars since I've been here. In every case I took a plane or ride up to Seattle or down to Cali to get it. I've yet to find something decent in the area that isn't completely F*****. In this case, it's good to network, and find people who want to sell BEFORE they post on CL.

Just my two cents :)

ZenkiKid
09-13-2015, 10:31 PM
lol, I'm surprised nobody who lives in Portland chimed in.

Portland is alright. Basically you either live "west" or "east" of the river. The west side is where Portland state is and where all the upperechelon white-colar people live and or work.

Intel is also based on the west area, so many of the surrounding towns have wealthy people living in them and subsequently it has a very "clean" feel to it. I live in Beaverton, which is where the majority of people live. It's clean, has a ton of cops, and the public transportation is pretty great. Up here they value nature like the Japanese, so lots of green everywhere--trees, bushes whatever you can fit.

However, it is very expensive out here. Because so many people are moving to the PNW due to increases in hot weather and cost of living (especially cali), the prices have shot up 200% for real estate. In the 80's or 90's things were affordable, but right now in my area you cannot find a "starter" home for less than 200k (150-160 if it's in need of a lot of handiwork). Also, because so many people cannot afford homes, the requirements for apply for a loan are strict I've heard, and good credit is highly important.

Portland suffers from high cost of living, especially real estate because unlike other cities UGL (urban growth limits) are very strict. What this means is that when populations increase in the city, land runs out. Usually, the city will buy rural land or have land set aside for building when that happens. Portland does not follow this so blatantly. I believe it's a tactic for real estate to keep prices high, by stating it's for environmental reasons.

If you have a degree, it won't really mean much. So many people come out here with the mindset of "I'll find a job" (including myself), and get thrown into the pool of an already insane number of unemployment. Portland (and Seattle as well) is having a very hard time keeping up with employment in respect to new residents. Many people with degrees find themselves working just barely over minimum wage.

Now there are ways around this: If you have worked in government before, or are interested in asian studeis/business or engineer studies/background (specifically technology), you should be fine.

I'm not saying if you move here you can't find a job and you'll be begging on the street, just that a lot of people seem to have misguided information about job placement here.

Oh, and on the "east" side-- the further east you go, the more ghetto it is. Living around the world, I'd say Portland's worst is much safer than any other city, but there are still gang, violence, and drug issues. There is a big "gentrification" going on in the eastern districts though, as an attempt by the city to keep pushing poor people further and further away.

The people are cool, yeah. Being from Florida where everyone hates their life and you're on drugs or want to sell something if you talk to strangers; it was a real delight coming here. Yes, I would say people are more generally friendly.

However, it can be quite hard to make friends. I notice here in the PNW, people make 1 or 2 super close friends and stick to em. It's not like the east coast where I have a friend for every different car and we all get together frequently. It's just an odd switch for me. When you do find someone you can get along with, it is a lot better though. It's easier to find people who are into anime, JDM weebu stuff and still have a life. Hell, there are job offers on CL for Hentai illustrators haha. Just a very different open vibe about who you are and what you like-- people don't care if what they like isn't mainstream and I think that's cool.

It can be hard sometimes to find people who want to "do stuff" though. Sure, there are hikes and all kinds of other stuff to do, but it can be really hard to set things up without someone flaking or changing their mind. Not really sure what that's about..

Driving/car enthusiast wise it's ok. The roads are amazing, and in my area there are tons of well-maintained mountain/hill climb roads and treasures you can find everywhere. I've lived here for a year and have never been pulled over--the longest I've gone anywhere! The only problem is there aren't a lot of tuner shops, or trustworthy shops in my opinion. It can be hard to find car enthusiasts, and when you do find them it's overwhelmingly Subaru, volksvagon, and other cars that aren't your typical lineup. The guys and gals are cool though, and seem a mite more intelligent from my experience then most scenes I've been around.

Leading up to that, Portland is nice, it's clean, and even in some of the worst parts it is pretty safe overall. Honestly though, it's boring. 8/10 times when people want to go "do something", they take a trip north to Seattle or elsewhere. Me myself, I've taken 6 trips up to Seattle/Bellingham within the last 2 months. People don't come to Portland for fun, they go to Seattle.

If you are a big bar guy, Portland is probably your thing. But you have to sort of "establish" yourself as a regular to be treated fair sometimes. You won't be kicked out the door for not knowing everyone's name, but it's definitely a different treatment.

Personally, for me I don't like downtown Portland. I'm a big House, Drum and Bass, old school Jungle and Trance guy, and the music scene here sucks. Big time. It's a lot like Hawaii, crap dubstep and weird mixes with DJs that think they're some kind of DJ god.

Also the weather. It really is not that as bad as people say. In terms of rain, we've actually had a lot of dry months, and it didn't rain much. When it gets cold, it's not unbearable and it rarely snows (depends on where you are). Portland is actually pretty middle of the road, except for the increasingly warm summers. Right now it's 102. I never thought the PNW would get like that, but it does, and it sucks. The apartments and most housing do not have central A/C so it can be pretty brutal. Overall though, it's some of the best driving weather year-round you can get, and still have seasons.

Also, forgot to add a note about apartments. They are insanely costly. I actually had an easier time finding affordable apartments in Hawaii (that were quite cheap with respect to cost of living). As I said before, I live in an area that's a little more pricey, but I currently rent out my apartment for 875, and that is a steal. My landlord makes no money off of me, and I'm quite certain she loses money when HOA fees are due. The apartment real estate market is massive and evil here. You won't be able to afford housing, so you are forced into apartments which get more and more costly every year. I believe Griego stated this, but ironically people who purchase homes have 50% less, or even more of a mortgage payment than someone who pays rent in an Apt. My teacher, who I'm good friends with, lives in Hillsboro (which is a little more country) and pays like 500 for her mortgage on a 3/2 with land. Most people around here can pay 900-1200 a month for an apt so it's pretty crazy. *Also, side note: If you do go to school out here the faculty is awesome. I'm friends with many of my teachers and the mutual respect is great; I don't feel like I'm a subordinate like in the service.

On a positive note, I don't know if it's because so many people are forced to live in apts, but the power of the renter is quite good. If you have a landlord that is screwing you over or lying to you, Portland does not mess around and you have many avenues to go about it. This is a pretty big difference from past states where it's a "shit happens" mentality.

For the area I think there are just random little cool things that make me like the place. There is a japanese only book store up the road, I like how the gas is not self-service (LIKE MAD INITIAL D TAKUMI DAY JOB YO), and the fact that there are so many nice pleasurable drives and random little secret spots you can find.

Honestly though, for me I'm thinking of moving on. Seattle is a little too intense and dirty for me. And it has a lot more rough patches. I need to PM whoever was talking about Bellingham because that place is the shit.

It all depends on what you want. You can overcome any of the problems I've listed by just using your head. 2 bedroom apts are around the same price as 1 beds, and many people just get a buddy or a roommate to fill the second spot; just as an example.

I moved here from Hawaii and OR really took care of me. There are tons of programs to help you find jobs, look for work, and get money to help you adjust. I think as a state it really takes care of people, and it's one of the few cities/ states where quality seems more important than quantity (kinda the feeling you get when in Japan) and it shows.

I really didn't look to see how old this was, but give it a shot. It's clean, nice, and safe. The job market isn't amazing, but I think Portland is a good place to start, and, if you're like me, you'll just keep moving north until you're Canadian :).

You only live once, give it a shot.

P.S> Griego lives south of Portland in Salem, but he is your man. You can berate him with questions and he'll give ya open arms :) Also, a lot of people live in the Salem and south portland areas such as Wilsonville, where housing is MUCH more affordable, and you can still drive towards portland where most jobs are with little traffic. Also, I'm going to type in all caps here: DO NOT MOVE TO VANCOUVER. You will regret it. It is a town just a couple miles north of the city where cheap housing and a close commute make it ideal. However, you have to cross ONE bridge with tens of thousands of other commuters every morning/late afternoon and the traffic is horrible and fraught with accidents. Do your reasearch; City-data is a great site that has many threads about preparing to move to Portland.

I actually do work for my county government. Wow, thanks for giving me so much personal insight, my next trip is in November and I was thinking about trying to meet a local and get their personal input on living there but I think you have said more than enough for me to sit and think if this is really for me or not. Thanks man!

ZenkiKid
12-01-2015, 12:49 PM
So I went back up from 11/16 - 11/21.

LOVED IT AGAIN.

Seriously, The people were very friendly but sensed almost instantly that me and my fiancee were not locals (probably because we're filipino and dont look thai/vietnamese like other asians up there). One store we walked into the female worker there (who too was asian) immediately asked where we were from.

Traffic does not seem THAT bad except the routes leading to beaverton. Even then its nothing that im not used to seeing already. The whole thing about not pumping my own gas still trips me out. There are more older 90's vehicles up there too assuming because of more relaxed smog requirements.

gonna go up again for a 3rd time around the spring/summertime to make a real decision if this place is for me or not, but so far ive had 2 trips and loved them both times.

Hopefully my resume and history of working in a law enforcement/government setting will be worth something up there.

FaLKoN240
12-01-2015, 02:03 PM
Sounds like a good move. I recently visited Colorado and liked it there as well.

I'm like on the fence of getting the fuck out of California.

hasemi
12-01-2015, 03:05 PM
Move to Arizona. Cheap, one of the best car scenes, close to cali, and 8 months great weather. 4 months of hell during the summer but you can escape with an hour drive up north to the mountains. I would take hot summers over cold winter any day! You can rent a 3,000 sq ft home with a 3 car garage in a gated community in a good part of town for $1,600. In the bay area rent would be $6k plus. Almost moved to SF for a job offer. Glad I stuck with AZ.

ZenkiKid
12-02-2015, 01:28 PM
Yeah I am seriously considering it now. Since Ive been there 2x in the cold I wanna see how its like when its "warm" to make a solid decision.

I found out that my job title pays at least $2 more hourly up there. My Fiancee just needs to file transfer paperwork since she works for a major hospital that has locations everywhere.

I estimated the value to relocate from socal to the PNW and it would cost roughly $5k including shipping cars. Hopefully I over guessed that amount.

SoundEfx
12-03-2015, 01:00 AM
I moved from Baltimore MD to WA and I never looked back. I never understood why people did cross country trips until I did that one. It was both nerve racking and exciting at the same time.

You'll find all types of people every where, but the people here are more friendly than every where I've been.

2muchboost
12-03-2015, 11:05 AM
If you are considering Portland make the move now. I know people gnat moved 7-10 years ago and were paying $6-750/month for two bedrooms. Depending on the area these places are up double or more per month. Don't hesitate on the move if you are serious.

FRpilot
12-03-2015, 12:49 PM
I'm like on the fence of getting the fuck out of California.

Seems like I'm hearing this from most of us Northern Californian millennials. It's been on my mind for the last few years as well...

I know that even if I do buy a house someday (not that I can afford it), it will not be in the SF Bay Area..

Mitsubayati
12-03-2015, 03:01 PM
Seems like I'm hearing this from most of us Northern Californian millennials. It's been on my mind for the last few years as well...

I know that even if I do buy a house someday (not that I can afford it), it will not be in the SF Bay Area..

I've thought about moving up North as well, but I picture it would be like living in Sacramento. Everything is cheaper, but not much to do.

The bay has a lot to offer and really never get's boring plus it's pretty centrally located. If you are fortunate enough to purchase a house now, you will be set for quite some time. Prices will drop again eventually.

Cloud_Strife
12-06-2015, 11:39 AM
Yeah I am seriously considering it now. Since Ive been there 2x in the cold I wanna see how its like when its "warm" to make a solid decision.

I found out that my job title pays at least $2 more hourly up there. My Fiancee just needs to file transfer paperwork since she works for a major hospital that has locations everywhere.

I estimated the value to relocate from socal to the PNW and it would cost roughly $5k including shipping cars. Hopefully I over guessed that amount.

It's funny you just updated the thread. I wish more Portland people would reply, but maybe they're too cool :)

I've been back in Florida for a few months and hate it. Really trying to consider my options and plans. I had it so good out there. I moved because I was having issues with school and couldn't make many friends my age.

A lot of people seem to be considering it as well from the replies. It all comes down to what YOU want. I've been to most states in the U.S. including Hawaii and I'm pretty certain at this point where I want to be. It seems like alota dudes are just stuck in Cali and wanting a way out. Just see some similarities as my eyes didn't really open up until I joined the millitary and got to see what else the world offers. I'd recommend some of you dudes just go for it and don't look back. We're all gonna be old as sh** having our grand-kids throw away our initial D posters because it's inconceivable that Chinese origin, poorly drawn 90's anime with italian eurobeat poor english techno could be considered cool.

To the OP, it's good if your fiance moves out with you. When two incomes can pay for housing up there it is ABSOLUTELY doable, especially for a 1bed. For single people it just sucks to rent.

I would say take a summer out there, because like I said it can get pretty hot. But again, it's a different type of hot. Humid hot summers in the south are ten times worse with the wet humidity. You can usually plan on 23 showers a day.

Also, I never realized how many decent roads there are in northern and all over OR. Also, southern WA has some really crazy routes as well. You should look up NHA (Northwestern Hillclimb Association), they are a group that goes over the PNW with stages normally closed to the public. Some of the roads look DEE-CENT.

I saw some people that were thinking of WA as well. WA has a lot more to offer and do, but the Seattle area does not have many fun roads. You have to travel quite a bit to get to any decent ones, and the best are on the east side of the state. There's one called chunak or chinak some sh** like that-scenic drive. Also, the road leading up to the ski resort on Mt. Baker has some crazy twists but no safety barriers and the elements make it dangerous.

Someone had said the scene isn't much out there, but It actually isn't bad, you just have to put in work and network old school. Also, I was wrong about the condition of cars. You can find a lot of clean unfu**** cars out there if you are patient. I guess when I was looking the market was just crap. Cars over here in the southeast are always hacked up dori boxes beat to sh**. 3-4k will get you a maybe DDable car with mechanical and int/ext issues, where as you can find clean, nicely working cars for the same pricepoint.

All in all though, I wouldn't try to get in the mindset that moving to a new location will solve all your personal probelms--something I've had to look at myself. But if you like it there, go for it; YOLO as the kids say.

*Also, I think there are weekly import meets in downtown every Sunday night if it's still going on. Gets pretty big turnouts.

Cloud_Strife
12-06-2015, 02:25 PM
Edit: Useless post because Crow T. Robot.

ZenkiKid
12-07-2015, 09:40 PM
All in all though, I wouldn't try to get in the mindset that moving to a new location will solve all your personal probelms

Im gonna be honest, i am facing a pretty rough end to my year and (personally not professionally) and its influencing my urge to move.

I talked to a co worker who is from oregon and in short she told me...

1. Yes pay is better but income tax is higher so its really the same shit as what I face here in Cali.
2. Property tax is higher. Houses may be cheaper but if you factor in property tax it evens itself out.

honestly where I'm from (San Diego) isnt all THAT expensive considering its a major California city, then again thats probably why more people are migrating here...

Ill go again in the Spring and hopefully by then things look up for me and if not, maybe its time to move up North...

if I do make the move Ill probably buy a subaru wagon down here and bring it up with me since you said most used cars up there are shit boxes.

if I dont leave the state now when I am still young I will for sure do it when I retire. I hear that CA isnt too kind to those who are on a fixed income.

w0nderbr3ad
12-07-2015, 10:39 PM
Which is why I plan on living in the Couve area and commuting to Portland for work. Yeeeee

Cloud_Strife
12-07-2015, 10:46 PM
Im gonna be honest, i am facing a pretty rough end to my year and (personally not professionally) and its influencing my urge to move.

I talked to a co worker who is from oregon and in short she told me...

1. Yes pay is better but income tax is higher so its really the same shit as what I face here in Cali.
2. Property tax is higher. Houses may be cheaper but if you factor in property tax it evens itself out.

honestly where I'm from (San Diego) isnt all THAT expensive considering its a major California city, then again thats probably why more people are migrating here...

Ill go again in the Spring and hopefully by then things look up for me and if not, maybe its time to move up North...

if I do make the move Ill probably buy a subaru wagon down here and bring it up with me since you said most used cars up there are shit boxes.

if I dont leave the state now when I am still young I will for sure do it when I retire. I hear that CA isnt too kind to those who are on a fixed income.

Yeah that was my goof about the sh** cars. I've been looking recently and have found great deals. It's just market fluctuation.

Honestly I wouldn't buy a house now. I'd wait until you settle down or you make enough friends where you can have roomies who don't mind talking about car sh**.

I look at the cost of living like this: I like places where I get what I pay for. 800$ here in hernando county gets you nothing unless you want to live in the ghetto part of my city dealing with tons of drugs and crime. Want an S-chassis? good luck because it will get broken into everynight.

Take that same 800 and go find a studio/1bd (if you're lucky). Now what's important to me are things like parks, nice roads, good drivers, and a place to practice my driving (legally of course). It has a city that isn't too intense, yet has enough to keep you busy for the most part. If not, Seattle is not that far away and you can bus up there on the bolt bus for like 15$. I get none of that here in my flat state, with parks built on sinkholes and roads that are tolled up the a**. Also, there's no public transportation and that pisses me off. I like being able to catch the bus when I cut my brake line because I'm wetodit. Driving here is insane; I see car WRECKS everyday because elderly or out of state drivers cannot fathom the poorly constructed road and traffic flow.

And people say FL is cheap. It's cheap for certain reasons, and this attracts certain people. We don't pay much here, sure, but we have some of the worst public schools, crap government support, and nothing to do but drink and get into trouble.

Me personally, I think Portland is worth it; even with the high rent. It's a place where the positives outweigh the negatives.

But again, it's a city and cities all have problems. People all have issues. There's no magical Utopia. Cept maybe B.C.

Just make a pros and cons list. The last time I made mine I moved out there tho lol.

Can you Portland natives chime in here? I'm just this loud-mouth transplant who spent a year there. Really would like the guy to hear from a local.

ZenkiKid
12-10-2015, 11:43 AM
Heard that you guys are getting hammered right now with the worst rain that the areas seen in a long time. Hope you all are safe up there..

ZenkiKid
03-01-2016, 05:32 PM
Im still undecided on the move to be honest.

my $$$ would approximately go 12% further overall (Groceries,utilities,housing,transportation, and healtcare according to CNN finance)

Gonna go again in May to see how its like when its warmer.

Cloud_Strife
03-01-2016, 07:04 PM
Damn you sure think things through haha.

SoundEfx
03-01-2016, 07:51 PM
How would CNN determine how far you live from work, what car you drive (mpg) and your salary?

The true way to do it is to look at the salaries here and then see where you're living and how you think you'll commute.

CNN doesn't know shyt about how people actually live.

Corbic
03-01-2016, 08:04 PM
TZt-pOc3moc

Corbic
03-01-2016, 08:21 PM
In all seriousness does the PNW have dog bread laws?

Agamemnon
03-01-2016, 09:21 PM
http://www.dogsbite.org/legislating-dangerous-dogs-washington.php
http://www.dogsbite.org/legislating-dangerous-dogs-oregon.php

Corbic
03-01-2016, 09:29 PM
http://www.dogsbite.org/legislating-dangerous-dogs-washington.php
http://www.dogsbite.org/legislating-dangerous-dogs-oregon.php

Wow, how disappointing Washington. I wonder how people would feel about using the FBI Crime Stastics to make Race based zoning laws.

ZenkiKid
03-02-2016, 09:57 AM
Damn you sure think things through haha.

Hey man this is a huge decision considering that being very family oriented is big in my culture. Hah.

ZenkiKid
03-02-2016, 09:58 AM
How would CNN determine how far you live from work, what car you drive (mpg) and your salary?

The true way to do it is to look at the salaries here and then see where you're living and how you think you'll commute.

CNN doesn't know shyt about how people actually live.

it was a financial calculator. I plugged in how much I make now and it basically determines whats cheaper in that state and what costs more. Thast how I came up with my figure.

SoundEfx
03-02-2016, 10:57 AM
I know. Don't get me wrong, what you're doing is 100% understandable.
But what you make now does not mean that you'll make the same amount in WA. You could make more or even less and that is why CNN can't tell you if the move is good or not.

You have to look at the job market in your profession and see how much they pay here. From that number you can then determine where you want to live. For example, living in Redmond, Bellevue area is far more expensive than living in Renton or Lynnwood.

Cloud_Strife
03-02-2016, 11:02 AM
Sound is right, there are jobs like tech industry where working for Intel or Nike can mean big bucks. I've known people with BSEs and some without even 4-year degrees that are making big money at Intel.

Every place is different. This (http://www.city-data.com/forum/) is a great website with information from locals and geeky travelers who are in the know. I suggest reading and asking questions there.

Agamemnon
03-02-2016, 11:13 AM
Wow, how disappointing Washington. I wonder how people would feel about using the FBI Crime Stastics to make Race based zoning laws.
Unless you're thinking about moving to eastern or south eastern Washington, i wouldn't worry too much about it. Many people on the western side of the state protest against hard when it comes to BSLs.

ZenkiKid
03-03-2016, 09:07 AM
If California ends up effectively banning future AR15 purchases I am 90% sure ill make the move. I am a huge 2nd amendment guy and this would essentially make my decision for me. There are proposed bills out that would make AR15s even with bullet buttons illegal and current owners would have to register their firearms.

Corbic
03-03-2016, 09:44 AM
. I am a huge 2nd amendment guy

And you live in California. Does not compute. You are already dealing with more bullshit than any "true" gun enthusiast could tolerate.

Corbic
03-03-2016, 09:47 AM
Sound is right, there are jobs like tech industry where working for Intel or Nike can mean big bucks. I've known people with BSEs and some without even 4-year degrees that are making big money at Intel.

Every place is different. This (http://www.city-data.com/forum/) is a great website with information from locals and geeky travelers who are in the know. I suggest reading and asking questions there.

What about Supply Management Careers?

I keep reading mixed things about the job market. 3rd highest unemployment in the country and story's about dreamy Californians moving up and unable to find work... Even with degrees. But then it sounds like the work they want is running a food truck or giving museum tours or some shit.

SoundEfx
03-03-2016, 10:59 AM
The job market in WA is 'ok' from what I'm seeing, but it depends on which job sector you're in.

Who ever is moving, no matter the State, should have a job BEFORE they move. Some companies do help relocate.

ZenkiKid
03-14-2016, 05:01 AM
Gonna book my May trip sometime this month. Also been paying attention to job openings.

Me staying or going will really depend on if I get promoted to a senior position on my first try. I am already on the second to last step in hourly pay for my title so if I dont get this in one try (position only opens up once every 6 months) Id pretty much be hitting a ceiling and would be wasting my youth and experience.

Looked it up and my Oregon native co worker was right. Property tax is double what we pay here in California. I guess $$$ will be about the same but itll go further up there at least.

SoundEfx
03-18-2016, 08:12 AM
Have you seen any positions you're interested in?

w0nderbr3ad
03-18-2016, 08:37 AM
The California transplant hate is strong in Portland. Everytime I read a thread on reddit about housing shortage, it's usually filled with anti-CA comments.

SoundEfx
03-20-2016, 09:52 AM
From what I have heard and read about CA, I would only be able to visit there because I def. can't afford to live there and all of my cars would be 'CA illegal'. lol.

ZenkiKid
03-22-2016, 10:55 AM
The California transplant hate is strong in Portland. Everytime I read a thread on reddit about housing shortage, it's usually filled with anti-CA comments.

Yup. I caught that vibe when i checked out some spots in Portland.

Some would flat out ask where were from. Their smile would turn into a straight face once I say California.

ZenkiKid
08-10-2016, 03:48 PM
I applied to two Multnomah county jobs and one of them contacted me faster than I expected for an exam. I guess I was exactly what they were looking for. Too bad I couldnt do it because it was less than a weeks notice. No way I could drop everything and fly up there for at least 48 hours.

SoundEfx
08-11-2016, 08:43 AM
Damn.

Did they reschedule?

ZenkiKid
08-11-2016, 11:28 PM
Couldnt man. They literally responded and gave me a week and a half notice to send my ass up there for the next step. No way. Too soon.

SoundEfx
08-12-2016, 11:21 AM
Damn. Well hopefully another opportunity comes along.

ZenkiKid
08-13-2016, 06:03 AM
Me too. I need at least a 3 week notice to arrange everything.

SoundEfx
08-13-2016, 08:33 AM
Well who knows, maybe a job might pop up that makes it worth it if they give you short notice.
Like maybe paying $135K or something.

ZenkiKid
02-14-2019, 03:38 PM
Been a while since I posted here.

But the goal this year is to ultimately line up a situation that will allow me to move to Vancouver. Ive had quite a few interviews so far so I am confident somethings going to happen this year.

jumpman2334
02-15-2019, 10:10 AM
awesome. glad to hear. this is something i will be doing within the next couple of years. it is certainly something that is not obtainable overnight or in a few weeks.

Corbic
02-15-2019, 02:32 PM
awesome. glad to hear. this is something i will be doing within the next couple of years. it is certainly something that is not obtainable overnight or in a few weeks.Yeah, gotta move out of your parents place first, right?

ZenkiKid
02-18-2019, 07:11 PM
awesome. glad to hear. this is something i will be doing within the next couple of years. it is certainly something that is not obtainable overnight or in a few weeks.

Whats stopping you from getting this plan in motion now?

Its taken me a few years because I am trying to get a job in place before I make the move, and I feel like this year is the closest ive been to finally making it happen.

I am confident that either one of two things is going to happen this year:

1. I land a salary gig that will pay me enough to justify staying here in California
2. I get a good enough job offer thatll initiate my move up north.

My current job sucks and I'm pretty sure I'm a victim of workplace discrimination. I have been passed up for a promotion at least 3x with no real reason other than nepotism. I was as much as a company person as could be and then some and they just didnt give a shit. Took it for granted. Now I just do the bare minimum. I know I probably have a case and could take it up with the union but honestly I just want out.

johnnie330
03-27-2019, 04:51 AM
Definitely better for basic living down here compared to California, you can get a decent apartment for 800-1000$ and many decent jobs you can get down here depending on your connections or work experience, Boeing pays pretty well 20+ an hr starting out. What kind of work do you want to get into

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZenkiKid
05-09-2019, 04:52 PM
Definitely better for basic living down here compared to California, you can get a decent apartment for 800-1000$ and many decent jobs you can get down here depending on your connections or work experience, Boeing pays pretty well 20+ an hr starting out. What kind of work do you want to get into

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I work in law enforcement (administrative) and honestly at the very least want a union gig. Ive had a few interviews but so far no leads from that.

2_Liter_Turbo
05-09-2019, 06:21 PM
Just a little advice from a 21 year CA native who lived in Oregon for 10+ years and now lives in Arizona.

If you are trying to escape high cost of living, high taxes, and retarded laws, while marginally better, Oregon and Washington aren't far behind California. They are basically CA "Me-Too" states. Eventually doing everything CA does. I couldn't stand living in the PNW, and if you like sunshine at all, you really won't like it there. It's overcast about 80% of the time.

I could talk about it for hours, but I've been in your shoes, and if you are looking for relief from over-regulation and high taxes, I'd look elsewhere. Good luck.

kanyedian
05-09-2019, 07:10 PM
Just a little advice from a 21 year CA native who lived in Oregon for 10+ years and now lives in Arizona.

If you are trying to escape high cost of living, high taxes, and retarded laws, while marginally better, Oregon and Washington aren't far behind California. They are basically CA "Me-Too" states. Eventually doing everything CA does. I couldn't stand living in the PNW, and if you like sunshine at all, you really won't like it there. It's overcast about 80% of the time.

I could talk about it for hours, but I've been in your shoes, and if you are looking for relief from over-regulation and high taxes, I'd look elsewhere. Good luck.

That sounds interesting and makes some sense. I dig it in FL but would be nice to get out and the adventure of starting a new life would be cool.

I've been thinking some about Texas and maybe Austin lately but I would want to visit first. And I don't really need that much city life, but would like to move into a house where I can keep my toys. Colorado might also be interesting but Idk.. winter is ew.

FRpilot
05-09-2019, 09:12 PM
But the goal this year is to ultimately line up a situation that will allow me to move to Vancouver.

Just curious, why Vancouver? I've watched videos and documentaries about how young people struggle to make rent and daily cost of living expenses and might never be able to afford to buy a house in Vancouver or Toronto. I'm in the SF Bay Area and don't live in San Francisco (one of the most expensive cities in the Bay Area), but I feel like those two cities in Canada are going to be even more expensive than San Francisco. To me, moving to Canada would be a lateral move, if not worse, and you would be dealing with all the same issues as California.

The Seattle area seems to have caught up with California (SF Bay Area and SoCal at least) and I expect housing costs to be similar. In fact, around 5 years ago, a local friend was considering moving to Seattle and buying an "affordable" place for about 500k or so but didn't pull the trigger. Recently I asked him about his plan to move to Seattle and he said he lost his opportunity to move out there because similar properties to what he was looking at have almost doubled in price so he might as well stay put.

ZenkiKid
05-09-2019, 10:01 PM
Just curious, why Vancouver? I've watched videos and documentaries about how young people struggle to make rent and daily cost of living expenses and might never be able to afford to buy a house in Vancouver or Toronto. I'm in the SF Bay Area and don't live in San Francisco (one of the most expensive cities in the Bay Area), but I feel like those two cities in Canada are going to be even more expensive than San Francisco. To me, moving to Canada would be a lateral move, if not worse, and you would be dealing with all the same issues as California.

The Seattle area seems to have caught up with California (SF Bay Area and SoCal at least) and I expect housing costs to be similar. In fact, around 5 years ago, a local friend was considering moving to Seattle and buying an "affordable" place for about 500k or so but didn't pull the trigger. Recently I asked him about his plan to move to Seattle and he said he lost his opportunity to move out there because similar properties to what he was looking at have almost doubled in price so he might as well stay put.

Vancouver Washington.

ZenkiKid
05-09-2019, 10:02 PM

I mostly want to move because i like the area and i visit yearly. Besides that yes the high cost of living.