PDA

View Full Version : DIY 240SX Shifter Springs

bmaddock
06-11-2014, 08:43 PM
I haven't seen an explicit thread on just this modification but here's some organized info on this install.

So have you heard of these silly HKS Shifter Return springs that supposedly cost $50+? Well for $0.30 at your local hardware store you can achieve this for a fraction of the cost. The theory behind these springs is to make your loosey goosey 240SX shifter feel more precise. This mod in addition to a new plastic shifter bushing can greatly improve shift feel.

Tools needed:
27MM wrench
OR
Adjustable wrench

Parts needed:
2 compression springs

1.The compression springs can be found at your local hardware store. I tried Lowes/Home Depot with not much luck but you could start there. The dimension of the spring you are trying to match is ~1.1" in length and 0.4" in outer diameter. You don't have to be exact but get close. As far as spring rate goes, buy a few different ones so you can experiment. I ended up with ones that I just barely couldn't compress completely with my fingers.
http://i.imgur.com/NpCLlRm.jpg?1

2. Next, jack your car up and get under there. For the tutorial I did this on a spare transmission I had lying around but trust me, you can do this without removing any part besides the spring caps. The spring caps are the large bolt found in the top center of the image below.
http://i.imgur.com/HONwoop.jpg?2

3. Remove the caps and pictured below will come out. Transmission fluid will not pour out of the holes.
http://i.imgur.com/uIvjePp.jpg?2

It's as easy as that. Install your new shifter spring, tighten them down and enjoy!

brndck
06-11-2014, 08:54 PM
Word. Excellent write up. +rep for you.

Chaluska
06-11-2014, 09:59 PM
i did this exact same mod.. didn't really have a change in feel of the shifter IMO. i added way too stiff of a spring, and actually didn't like the way it felt. with the OEM springs and a solid brass shifter bushing its the best combo... by far

Kallixtos
06-15-2014, 03:52 PM
Been thinking about doing this also, should go well with a C's shifter

eek
06-15-2014, 04:35 PM
OEM springs, cusco brass bushing, and a tomei shifter makes me smile.

1on1
06-16-2014, 03:53 PM
I've always thought about using RC springs, which were recommended, but it seems I'll be taking a trip to Marshal's Hardware to grab this. Thanks for the info!

bmaddock
06-16-2014, 04:54 PM
I've always thought about using RC springs, which were recommended, but it seems I'll be taking a trip to Marshal's Hardware to grab this. Thanks for the info!

I tried using RC springs but had trouble finding high enough spring rates. Hardware store worked well for me, good luck

Kaifd3s
06-17-2014, 08:33 AM
Oem springs, B&M Shifter, Circuit Sports collar. Can't beat the feel of it. Especially with new Redline fluid.

Personally I think tranny fluid has a great significance to how the shifter feels.

ATLspeed
06-17-2014, 08:50 AM
I went with stiffer springs when I did mine,I like my shifters notchy.

ni5mo240
06-17-2014, 08:51 AM
think im gonna try this tonight