PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the .gov shutdown?

AFSil80
10-14-2013, 06:06 AM
Well, we've entered the third week of the shutdown, with the 17th coming up quickly, and if a decision isn't made, our country defaults on the debt held by others.

As expected, China is rumbling around and saying that we had better not default, and multiple governments around the world (especially Europe) are foretelling another recession if we default.
Beijing Urges U.S. to Avoid Default - WSJ.com (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304441404579121353213485532.html)

We have political heads that obviously want us to raise the debt ceiling and borrow more money (in other words, put a bandaid on a severed limb/keep on kicking the can down the same street), and we have politicians who talk like they would be okay with it crashing (which could turn the dollar into the Deutsche Mark from post-WWI, aka worthless) , and then finally we have statesmen that truly believe that through proper budget and fiscal discussion, that we can actually use our current funding to solve the crisis.
Obama renews calls on Congress to end shutdown, raise debt limit - Washington Post (http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2013-10-08/politics/42812347_1_government-shutdown-debt-limit-house-republicans)
Debt limit breach no big deal, some GOP lawmakers say (http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2013/10/07/debt-limit-denial/2937087/)
Rand Paul: Obama is trying to ?scare people? on debt ceiling ? CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs (http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2013/10/13/rand-paul-obama-is-trying-to-scare-people-on-debt-ceiling/)

That being said, what is anyone's thoughts on the matter? I personally think we should follow Iceland's path from 2008-current, but I think we missed that chance when we bailed out Wall Street instead.
Iceland rises from the ashes of banking collapse | Business | The Guardian (http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/oct/06/iceland-financial-recovery-banking-collapse)

J3123MY
10-14-2013, 08:32 AM
Fuck our lazy ass government. It is time for us as a people to show that we will not tolerate the kind of bull shit they feed us.

0danxQ
10-14-2013, 08:53 AM
Personally, I think it's best we don't work ourselves up on things we can't personally control because it will be over soon seeing as what happened during the Clinton administration. However learning about whats going on and understanding where its going to effect us is important. For example food, considering FDA might as well be completely shut down but USDA is not. We must be careful with what we eat at this time. Gotta look out for numero uno.

AFSil80
10-14-2013, 09:04 AM
Thing is, when you look at government agencies like the FDA and USDA, can you REALLY take their word on what's safe when they are heavily lobbied and influenced by companies like Monsanto and Dow Chemical who make money off of chemically and genetically modified foods/products?

0danxQ
10-14-2013, 11:26 AM
this is true, however they test shipments of food that are coming in for disease such as seafood as of right now seafood is especially not to be trusted.

SimpleS14
10-14-2013, 08:00 PM
I really hope the U.S. does not default on the debts it owes to China. If it does, there's going to be some serious implications around the world.

J3123MY
10-14-2013, 10:01 PM
Lol. GG America. Thanks government.

AFSil80
10-15-2013, 06:40 AM
I really hope the U.S. does not default on the debts it owes to China. If it does, there's going to be some serious implications around the world.

I agree to an extent, it would likely make life miserable...but we really cannot keep going the direction this President wants us to go. Continuing to print money/quantitive easing is not the solution.

Real fiscal and entitlement reform HAS to happen. We have to stop spending more than we are taking in.

I honestly don't know what is worse.

imotion s14
10-15-2013, 11:53 AM
we've already defaulted, we're just doing it the worst way via the printing press.

Unless anyone seriously thinks we can ever pay back our debts (both on and off the book debt obligations).

I got an S16 quad turbo 2 liter stroker JDM motor to sell you.

stevenrapids
10-16-2013, 09:33 AM
At this point there really isn't much hope. The government really isnt doing anything. They are shoving this obamacare act down our throat, and any attempt to revise/refuse this propostion is either rejected by the senate or veto'd by the president. At the rate we are going, the government is going to keep raising taxes to the point they totally wipe out the middle class.

zerodameaon
10-16-2013, 11:43 AM
If you look at the middle class compared to the 60s its already gone and has been for 20 years. The middle class should not be below the poverty line but in reality a lot of people are.

FRpilot
10-16-2013, 12:49 PM
As my boss says, Obama isn't going to budge on ObamaCare. It's his baby and his chance to go down in history with something named after him. Maybe if it was called Affordable Health Act or something like that he wouldn't mind.

AFSil80
10-16-2013, 07:42 PM
As my boss says, Obama isn't going to budge on ObamaCare. It's his baby and his chance to go down in history with something named after him. Maybe if it was called Affordable Health Act or something like that he wouldn't mind.

Yeah, conservatives that refer to it as Obamacare are just making him smile even bigger. Talk about a backfire, huh?

!Zar!
10-17-2013, 12:41 AM
The government is open again. Yay.

imotion s14
10-17-2013, 10:07 PM
The government is open again. Yay.

and so is the printing press. :2f2f: