PDA

View Full Version : Z31 will not run

Nevyn04
09-04-2013, 04:44 PM
Just got an 87 300zx turbo less than a month ago. was running great. About two weeks ago it started stuttering a bit at around 4000 rpm. but power came back at about 5000 rpm. Then, just over a week ago, halfway through my hour commute to work, it began stuttering really bad. It continued until it died. I could start it and it would idle rough until again, it died. Then it ran fine. For a minute. Had to have it towed back to my house. Rented a fuel pressure gauge and it is running about 40psi. for the few seconds it runs that is. Plugs and wires are new. Distributor cap is new. TPS seems to be getting the right voltage. Car runs exactly the same whether the MAF is plugged in or not. I am stumped. And extremely irritated. Anyone know what this can be? It is my only mode of transportation, i need it fixed asap.

Thanks.

DeleriousZ
09-04-2013, 10:14 PM
Do this:

XenonZcar.com Z31 ECU Diagnostics (http://xenonzcar.com/z31/ECUcodes.html)

and see what you get.

Sounds like it might be the crank angle sensor maybe?

Nevyn04
09-06-2013, 04:56 PM
ran diagnostic.

Codes

12: Air flow sensor
34:Detonation Sensor
51: Not shown in xenons code list

Replaced Air flow sensor. Still does not run. I'm lucky if it starts...
Any other ideas? Would detonation sensor cause this?

Nevyn04
09-07-2013, 01:18 PM
Was about to replace distributor based on advice from a mechanic friend. I noticed the bolt that allows you to adjust the distributor was slightly loose and you could see where the distributor used to be. So i readjusted it and the car started and idled perfectly. But would die as soon as it was under load. So replaced the rotor. Perfect. Car ran and drove good as new.

Took it around the block and it died. Would not restart. removed the cap and realized the new rotor was slightly bigger than the old one and was gouging into the caps contacts. So bought a new cap to match the rotor, both of which are apparently for my car according to autozone, and the vehicle will not start.

I feel like i'm looking in the right area now but not sure where to go from here.
Help?

DeleriousZ
09-09-2013, 08:38 AM
Try swapping the distributor for a known good one. The crank angle sensor is housed within the dist and can cause serious headaches if it's gone or going bad.

Nevyn04
09-12-2013, 06:15 AM
Alright. Replaced the rotor because the old one looked a bit worn. car ran great after that except the rotor was a little longer than the original and hit the contacts. Installed a new cap. Then all of a sudden no longer got spark. Replaced ignition coil. Still no spark. So came to the same conclusion, it had to be the crank sensor. Replaced the distributor and now runs great.

Only issue i have now is a stutter at about 4k rpm. This only occurs at WOT. Any suggestions?

bleakdragonmage
09-19-2013, 09:01 AM
How bad of a stutter?? Does it clear up after 4k. Does it happen while free revving or under load.

My guess is that its the plug wires.