PDA

View Full Version : Help: Z32 Idle Issue

Trickygreek
11-04-2012, 11:39 AM
Hey guys, So I was driving home yesturday night from cleaning my car because I was supposed to be getting a photo shoot of it today but plans changed due to after me cleaning my car and driving home I boosted a bit and got an unnecessary amount of wheel spin (My boost must have spiked from my EBC) and my rpm must have redlines a bit passed 7000rpm and I heard a big POP from the exhaust so after the pop from the exhaust my rpms would drop to 200-500rpm then back to 1000ish (idle rpm) and it would keep 'teeder todering' up and down. Good thing I as close to home and got the car back safely. I had no light what so ever to look into detail last night so I checked for leaks and there was nothing and looked around the engine bay and heard no signs of knocking, I then ran codes and got a code 55. I am not 100% sure where to start as this issue could be a thousand different things, so I thought I would throw up a post and see If anyone else has had the same issue as I have and can help me narrow things down. Thanks!

- Before this all happened I have been having a common on my car exhaust pop when cruising bellow 50km/h. When this idle issue came up I noticed I had an old style PTU that was recalled way back when in the Z32's and R32's and immediately thought this was my problem. I ended up ordering a new style PTU from cZp. Once it finally came in I installed it and took the car out for a drive but about half a block away the cars idle acted up again. I am thinking its maybe my engine temp sensor is dirty as hell, MAF's need a good cleaning, throttle bodies need a cleaning or AIVC needs maintance/cleaning.... I want to start with the AIVC as I had a similar idle happen on my integra (Winter beater) and think it would be a good place to start on on my car. Any thoughts towards how I can troubleshoot this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

cotbu
11-04-2012, 11:36 PM
check timing!

mnmax
11-06-2012, 02:25 PM
If it's not your timing, I would suspect that you may have an injector going or you have vacuum leak somewhere.

Trickygreek
11-10-2012, 11:36 AM
Yep figured it out.... So I was removing my front bumper because I am storing the car for the winter underground and didn't want to scuff my new bumper up so as I remove my front bumper I find out that I have an intercooler pipe that came out of its coupler lol....I guess when i boosted hard a pipe came loose and out of its coupler which caused an insane boost leak and messing with my idle. Although I have my TPS adjusted, timing checked, new spark plugs, and a new style PTU so my car is now running better than ever..