PDA

View Full Version : sr20 only runs on 3 cylinders, injector #1 not firing

Firestorm
06-26-2012, 04:50 PM
hi guys,

i was just starting up my rebuilt SR but it was only running on 3 cylinders.

at first i had an ignition problem that caused #1 and #2 not to fire but i fixed that, but the #1 injector won't spray. i removed the spark plug and found the cylinder/piston bone dry.

i already checked the wiring, injector gets 12v and the wire from the injector to the ecu has continuity. i also swapped injectors but it still won't spray on #1.

i checked the wiring diagrams again and noticed that there are only 3 injector grounds going from the ecu to the chassis...does anyone know how the 4th (or maybe 1st) injector is grounded? i think my problem is that there is no connection from the ecu to ground (ecu worked fine till i pulled the motor).

are there any circuit diagrams floating around for an sr20 ecu?

if anyone has any suggestions or solutions, please let me know!

ka4life87
06-26-2012, 05:16 PM
Have u tried a noid light to see if ur getting injector pulse?

Firestorm
06-26-2012, 05:30 PM
no, but if i'd get a pulse i wouldn't have a problem, because i tried a working injector on the #1 injector plug.

so my problem seems to be a lack of a pulse from the ECU. i'm gonna check my ecu tomorrow, hopefully it's not fried.

ultimateirving
06-26-2012, 06:39 PM
If u have amultimeter, u can also try to see if the first injector is shorted, Run Continuity tests on both injector plug leads. If its shorting out/ cracked or broken wire. This would be a good way to tell.

Vs fried ecu which would really be bad

ShadowMan
06-26-2012, 07:21 PM
Sometimes when I know Im going to be leaving my car in a parking lot for a bit I'll pull the ignitor chip and unplug the ecu. When I plug them back in it only runs on 3 cylinders sometimes, so I unplug them and replug them back in making sure they are fully seated, and then it works just fine. Start with the simple stuff first, especially if its free.

Firestorm
06-27-2012, 12:10 PM
okay, so i checked the wiring again, every wire to and from the ecu has continuity, i checked the plugs, checked my grounds, swapped injectors and...

...nothing. no matter what i do, the injector on the #1 plug won't fire. the other injectors work fine, and the engine runs considerably well for the fact that it's on 3 cyls.

i opened up the ecu to see if there are any indicators that it may be shot but visually it looks fine. (it's a #62 with a mines daughterboard). maybe it's time to get a replacement, but SRs aren't exactly common where i live. at least redtop ones.

Firestorm
07-01-2012, 08:20 AM
okay, so just a quick follow-up: i checked the wiring again and noticed a bent connector in the big blue plug. so i fixed that and grounded the ecu (the housing itself) and now it works. i don't know which measure actually did the trick but i'm just glad that the engine runs now :)

codyace
07-01-2012, 10:29 AM
Good news!

But to add to this thread, just because an injector has continuity between itself and the ECU does not eliminate there still being a fried driver inside the ECU