PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade rear diff cover question

s13_ricky
06-07-2012, 09:18 AM
Guys, I recently bought a rear diff cover for an LSD, I then realized it came with nothing. I'm sure I can find some bolts from some hardware store but I was wondering what do I do about the breather tube? Is there anyway I can make my own? I've searched but was unable to find anything regarding this. Thanks.

This is what I picked up from FRSports

http://i1.frsimg.com/images/detailed_images/Nissan_38351-40F05_04.jpg

thefro526
06-07-2012, 09:41 AM
Guys, I recently bought a rear diff cover for an LSD, I then realized it came with nothing. I'm sure I can find some bolts from some hardware store but I was wondering what do I do about the breather tube? Is there anyway I can make my own? I've searched but was unable to find anything regarding this. Thanks.

If you wanted to, you could drive your own studs into the cover and mount it as if it were OEM. Though, I feel like bolting it into place might make install/removal easier.

As far as the breather tube goes, can you remove the tube from your OEM diff and install it in the new cover? If not, the breather is just an atmospheric vent, I'm fairly sure that you can run with just a hole - though I'd suggest putting mesh or something over it to keep dirt/rocks/etc out.

az_240
06-08-2012, 01:12 AM
I'd figure out what cover that's from and just try to buy a used one with all the studs/breather tube already on the thing. I've tried messing with those studs before and they are a bitch to get them to stay in the diff cover if ever removed. I tried removing the breather tube from my s14 cover a while back and ended up destroying it.

Also that diff cover should have a splash shield type thing for the ring gear on the inside... might not be good if that's missing as well.

Luvs2slide
06-08-2012, 08:21 AM
I feel like bolting it into place might make install/removal easier.

I beg to differ...

Using bolts would more likely cause the inside of the holes to strip on the cover if you don't have the diff aligned perfectly. Having the studs in the cover help to guide the diff into place, not to mention hold the diff up (when not bolted) so it doesnt fall on you.

ManoNegra
06-08-2012, 11:19 AM
stud threads have a different fit than bolts
if you use bolts instead, they make vibrate loose over time.

biggie
06-08-2012, 01:31 PM
Would recommend going in a hardware store with it and finding whatever you need.

bladetech8
06-08-2012, 06:04 PM
EVERYTHING you need (Studs and Breather) can be obtained brand new from NISSAN for under $20.. I know this because I bought new studs and breather for my JDM VLSD Diff Cover (Item pictured from FRSport).. ;)

You cannot remove the old breather without mangling it up a little around the lip..