PDA

View Full Version : America's Tire Co. & Tires

21Nemesis
12-13-2011, 07:23 PM
Back in September I purchased a pair of Nitto NT05 (235/40/18) for my S13 and had them installed in the rear. The tires were great. I was a little worried that they wouldn't be the best tire in the rain, but a few weeks after install, it rained and they did just fine. Well, fast forward to December, and let's just say the the tires are pretty much worn to the wear bars! The outer edges still have a lot of tread on them, but the center of the tire is pretty much gone (NO, it's not a problem of OVER-INFLATION which is what usually causes this type of wear, because they filled them to 32psi and I check my tire pressure monthly).

Well, for those of you that live in So. Cal., you know that it rained yesterday, which I was paying that I would not fishtail on the freeway. Luckily, I didn't. I am planning on going in next week to see if I could get a refund or replacements since the tires wore out SO QUICKLY. I figured they would last me at least a year, considering the Federal 595 lasted me that long and I paid only 1/2 the price!

I was wondering if any of you have dealt with America's Tire Co. with such a matter? If so, what was your experience and do you have any suggestions/advice.

Thanks in advance!

CrimsonRockett
12-13-2011, 07:27 PM
First and foremost, do you even have a proper alignment? If your tires are wearing out faster on the insides than the outsides, your alignment is more than likely off.

Lukasss
12-13-2011, 07:36 PM
Too many burnout turns.

21Nemesis
12-13-2011, 07:42 PM
Fairly certain. The strange thing is that the CENTER of each tire is what is wearing out abnormaly. The outer edges (both inside and out) are perfectly fine, normal wear.

21Nemesis
12-13-2011, 07:51 PM
Too many burnout turns.

Ha! I would not be complaining. This is under normal driving conditions.

zooopreme
12-13-2011, 07:54 PM
Post pictures of said abnormal wear.

tricky_ab
12-13-2011, 07:56 PM
Yeah I'd like too see pictures as well. I'm curious too see this myself...

G5SR20240
12-13-2011, 08:00 PM
It really doesn't have anything to do with America's tire, unless you purchased a road hazard warranty with your tires the issue solely resides with the manufacturer nitto. They have no obligation to refund you or by you new ones. They were not the ones that made the tire. The best thing you can do is walk in there with a good attitude and talk to the manager at your store and see if they can pull some strings with the manufacture. The odds are not good since it is nitto but you can try.

21Nemesis
12-13-2011, 08:00 PM
Will take one tomorrow since it's dark outside.

21Nemesis
12-13-2011, 08:05 PM
It really doesn't have anything to do with America's tire, unless you purchased a road hazard warranty with your tires the issue solely resides with the manufacturer nitto. They have no obligation to refund you or by you new ones. They were not the ones that made the tire. The best thing you can do is walk in there with a good attitude and talk to the manager at your store and see if they can pull some strings with the manufacture. The odds are not good since it is nitto but you can try.

That's the plan.

hOngsterr
12-13-2011, 08:40 PM
I dont really thing a tire retailer is going to refund/warranty you tires, just cause they wore down quickly, sounds like you had a poor alignment.

gunmetalr32
12-13-2011, 10:36 PM
i work for America's tire co. and in that situation i could only say.. if you were looking for a tire that you only cared about life over performance . you should of got a tire with a mileage warranty.

we also need a few more details
-did you get an alinement ( was anything off) toe?
-do you have coilovers
-how low are you
-do you have a lsd (2way, 1.5 way, welded,ect)
-do you have rucas

this all ties together

chiboy002
12-13-2011, 10:39 PM
poor alignment will shoe wear pattern on the tires though. Usually its caused by improper toe, and the tires are more often than not flatspotting instead of having equal wear all around.

It can always, however unlikely, be manufacturer defect. See what nitto says

Mitsubayati
12-13-2011, 10:55 PM
lol. You are going to go back to a company that sold you the tires and aired them up to the proper pressure to complain that a tire, which they themselves don't make, didn't last as long as you expected? Man, I wish you pulled that at the tire shop I work at, you'd be laughed out the door.

In all seriousness, Just because you purchase a tire that costs two times as much as another does not mean you get two times the wear. Anything without a milage warranty is fair game when it comes to wear. You need to talk to the manufacturer of the tire. Don't even try blaming America's Tire for that. If they underinflated or poorly installed them, that would be another story.

Seeing as how these are performance tires, the treadwear rating must be low. It makes sense to me that they wouldn't last long under normal driving conditions. Please measure the tread on the outer edge as well as the center and tell us.

blitzsti22
12-13-2011, 11:22 PM
if you need hook ups in tires lmk

PNgo12
12-13-2011, 11:40 PM
When you over inflate the tire doesn't it wear out in the middle and not on the edges? Did you over inflate them the whole time you had them?

!Zar!
12-14-2011, 12:57 AM
we also need a few more details
-did you get an alinement ( was anything off) toe?
-do you have coilovers
-how low are you
-do you have a lsd (2way, 1.5 way, welded,ect)
-do you have rucas

Sounds like 21Nemesis needs an alignment. That is most likely why his tires are worn out

idahotuner
12-14-2011, 01:01 AM
usually twice the price means twice the wear because of stickier rubber

J40sx
12-14-2011, 01:14 AM
Alignment is key, i burned through brand new tires in 4 months with no alignment after getting new suspension parts running 4.5ish camber in the rear.

ILoveJDM
12-14-2011, 02:01 AM
you're 31 years old and you think America's Tire is responsible for this?

how have you gotten through life

gunmetalr32
12-14-2011, 04:49 AM
Sounds like 21Nemesis needs an alignment. That is most likely why his tires are worn out

That's what it sounds like. General maintenance negligence

fliprayzin240sx
12-14-2011, 07:27 AM
Between the alignment and running NT05s, no shit your tires are done. NT05s arent exactly a long lasting tire to due to the softness of the compound. IIRC, they are rated 200. Then throw in the fact that they are designed with shallow thread depths...they're not gonna last. I run mine for about 6 months and these are on somewhat aligned rears.

driftsilvias13
12-14-2011, 09:17 AM
Why the hell are you comparing tire life of a NT05 with a Federal 595?

gunmetalr32
12-14-2011, 09:21 AM

I don't know why he's comparing 2 different tires.

G5SR20240
12-14-2011, 10:21 AM
I think the op already decided he's just gonna see what they say, I don't think it's that big of an issue anymore lol

hOngsterr
12-14-2011, 01:04 PM
I don't know why he's comparing 2 different tires.

he doesnt know about threadwear i guess lol

ILoveMyRHS13
12-14-2011, 01:19 PM
Yeah, you fucked yourself over on this one. Not to mention, the softer the compound, the quicker they will wear out.

whiterps13
12-14-2011, 03:51 PM
For all the people that say "Why would you take it back to America's Tire? Its not their fault."

If he bought the tires there, why wouldnt he take them back and expect some sort of service? A retail store is put in place to link a consumer to a manufacturer, both ways. Not only should they sell a tire to the consumer, but they should be the link the consumer to the manufacturer when something is not right.

Obviously, at the end of the day this might be manufacture error and it might not. Proving that on a wear item is very difficult. But to sit there and say that America tire is in no way involved in this is silly in my opinion. It never hurts to go in there and be really nice, the worse you can hear is no. You would be suprised the shit I have had replaced and repaired by just being a nice guy.

towlie
12-14-2011, 04:31 PM
i work at americas tire. you need an alignment. also nitto tires are sticky (ie SOFT) tires that arent designed with treadwear in mind.

gunmetalr32
12-16-2011, 09:32 PM
For all the people that say "Why would you take it back to America's Tire? Its not their fault."

If he bought the tires there, why wouldnt he take them back and expect some sort of service? A retail store is put in place to link a consumer to a manufacturer, both ways. Not only should they sell a tire to the consumer, but they should be the link the consumer to the manufacturer when something is not right.

Obviously, at the end of the day this might be manufacture error and it might not. Proving that on a wear item is very difficult. But to sit there and say that America tire is in no way involved in this is silly in my opinion. It never hurts to go in there and be really nice, the worse you can hear is no. You would be suprised the shit I have had replaced and repaired by just being a nice guy.
1st off .. we at America's tire co. don't carry nitto nt05 in stock.. so that customer would have special order those.. if you specail order something that usually means that the customer knows about that tire and has done his research and really wants that tire and doesn't want what we have in stock..

i work at americas tire. you need an alignment. also nitto tires are sticky (ie SOFT) tires that arent designed with treadwear in mind.
exactly .. whats up ATC BROTHER

codyace
12-16-2011, 09:48 PM
Sure the middle wears out...they only have 6/32 or 8/32 when new...do you still have tread in the middle? Then they aren't wore out yet(with the NT05 at least).

Don't buy the hip tire if you're not understanding of what comes with it.

!Zar!
12-16-2011, 10:27 PM
Racing slicks 4 lyfe

spooled240
12-16-2011, 10:29 PM
i kinda skimmed this thread but you should check the treadwear rating, it's a number usually in the 100-300's...the higher the number usually the longer they last but the harder the compound. This number varies from different manufacturers but get something with a high treadwear rating and they should last longer.

brndck
12-16-2011, 10:45 PM
who the fuck buys nt-05 for a daily???
i hate the phrase "the customer is always right" because 95% of the time the customer is a retard.

op: sounds like you bought something you didn't fully understand, and now are butthurt because it didn't live up to your unreasonable expectations. do some more research next time. if you want tires that last a long time, stick with a PASSENGER ALL SEASON tire, not a fucking high performance summer tire.

codyace
12-16-2011, 10:48 PM
who the fuck buys nt-05 for a daily???
i hate the phrase "the customer is always right" because 95% of the time the customer is a retard.

op: sounds like you bought something you didn't fully understand, and now are butthurt because it didn't live up to your unreasonable expectations. do some more research next time. if you want tires that last a long time, stick with a PASSENGER ALL SEASON tire, not a fucking high performance summer tire.

I daily my NT05 ;)

....but live 2 miles from work haha

24boosted
12-16-2011, 11:00 PM
NT05s have a treadwear rating of 200 which should still last at least 10k if just daily driven and not tracked. I have Advan A13s on my Evo and those last about 10k. I also have NT555R DR on my Z that's lasted about 4k miles with 60% left.

Common to have center wear with over inflation. You possibly inflated on a very cold day, warm up the tires and over inflation occurs (especially with our crazy weather lately). Simple rule of thumb for every +/-10 degrees F = +/- 1 psi.

Let's look at the variables previously suggested: over inflation (most likely), air pressure gauge issue, alignment issue, driver abuse, track, burn out, ambient temp in which you inflated the tires, all of the above.

Blame the tire place, I don't get it.

canasion35
12-16-2011, 11:04 PM
sooooo...pics of said wear?

jesse_s13
12-16-2011, 11:40 PM
Pics of car/tires,mods list?

codyace
12-17-2011, 07:32 AM
Let's look at the variables previously suggested: over inflation (most likely), air pressure gauge issue, alignment issue, driver abuse, track, burn out, ambient temp in which you inflated the tires, all of the above.

With everything considered, you guys do know that Treadware ratings are not standardized ratings, and are merely suggestions right?

Atop of that, have any of you tire experts ran an NT05? I have. The middles simple wear out first/quicker...it's by design. I can assure you my car is aligned perfectly, the tire pressures are undoubtedly lower (cold) than most, and it still wears them...thankfully so, as they really rip once you get them down to the street wear bars.

24boosted
12-17-2011, 10:23 AM
With everything considered, you guys do know that Treadware ratings are not standardized ratings, and are merely suggestions right?

Agreed, however tires from the same manufacturer shouldn't vary too much if they are using the same standard for their own tires. Manufacturer to other manufacturer there is no standard to compare one to another. My Nitto NT555R Drag Radials have a 100 tread wear, much lower than NT05s and yet they are lasting longer. Same manufacturer.

fckillerbee
12-17-2011, 10:40 AM
The problem is the user. These people think they can put anything on the vehicle, and then think they can complain and get their way.

First off, the OP needs to do some research. Tires are made for one thing...what you use them to do.

Who the fuck buys an offroad tire and puts it on their econoline van...NO ONE. because it wears out...and it's not designed for HWY use.

Same thing for race tires. NT-05's are not daily driver tires. They are soley made for track. The simple fact that you want to complain about mileage makes you a retard.

And to compare a federal 595ss to the Nitto means you clearly can't tell grip levels. And should not ever buy a R-compound tire until you can drive your car hard enough.

this thread is stupid.

fckillerbee
12-17-2011, 10:43 AM
On a positive note. This show is amazing!

http://monsterburg.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/beavis_and_butthead_mtv.jpg

towlie
12-18-2011, 05:59 PM
1st off .. we at America's tire co. don't carry nitto nt05 in stock.. so that customer would have special order those.. if you specail order something that usually means that the customer knows about that tire and has done his research and really wants that tire and doesn't want what we have in stock..

exactly .. whats up ATC BROTHER

Word!

The problem is the user. These people think they can put anything on the vehicle, and then think they can complain and get their way.

First off, the OP needs to do some research. Tires are made for one thing...what you use them to do.

Who the fuck buys an offroad tire and puts it on their econoline van...NO ONE. because it wears out...and it's not designed for HWY use.

Same thing for race tires. NT-05's are not daily driver tires. They are soley made for track. The simple fact that you want to complain about mileage makes you a retard.

And to compare a federal 595ss to the Nitto means you clearly can't tell grip levels. And should not ever buy a R-compound tire until you can drive your car hard enough.

this thread is stupid.

WORD:picardfp:

anthonyr sil8ty
12-18-2011, 06:25 PM
you purchased nt05's for longevity..... DUMB!