PDA

View Full Version : redtop in s14 starting problems

fenderguitarist
09-21-2011, 12:39 PM
I built a forged sr, crower rods, cp pistons, all the good stuff. I tried starting it and can't get it to fire.
I set the cas with the frsport guide, fuel lines are properly hooked up, its getting spark, it has injector pulse. I'm really lost on what to do, I put about 5-6k into this motor and I'm on the verge of giving up and parting it out.
It's in a s14, I used wiringspecialties main and lower harness for the swap, I'm on a nistune type 3 ecu, everything is good in that department. This motor ran fine before I pulled it.

This is how its setup, TDC (second mark from the left)
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg114/hoffmanbikes777/IMG_1929.jpg

CAS is lined up.
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg114/hoffmanbikes777/IMG_1928.jpg

and a video of me trying to start it, http://s246.photobucket.com/albums/gg114/hoffmanbikes777/?action=view&current=IMG_1931.mp4

fenderguitarist
09-21-2011, 06:37 PM
I just compression tested it, I got like 30psi on cyl 1 and like 0 on the rest. What can be causing this? I just rebuilt it and used crower springs and retainers and lapped my stock valves back in. Can the cams be screwed up some how?

niscur29
09-21-2011, 06:44 PM
I fell your pain man...Mine at least was drivable for a little while...trust me its even worse when it worked and all of a sudden doesnt...

fliprayzin240sx
09-21-2011, 06:54 PM
Could be, double check your mechanical timing. It could be off and the valves are staying open so you don't have any compression. Drop a cap full of oil in each cylinder just to see if the compression comes up.

fenderguitarist
09-21-2011, 07:08 PM
one thing that is bothering me is the way the shims and guides went on, I could have screwed up the order and maybe one valve is sticking open due to it. Can any one help me on that? On the intake side I have it as the guide first (front of the engine) then the shim, exhaust is vise versa.

jacobs13
09-21-2011, 09:29 PM
check your cam timing and make sure the crank and cams are all lined up with the marks on the chain and also try a leak down test

fenderguitarist
09-22-2011, 12:12 AM
I set it TDC, counted the links from dot to dot and got 10, which means mechanical timing is good. If anyone has any info on the guides and shims I'd greatly appreciate it.

fliprayzin240sx
09-22-2011, 03:35 AM
Did you count the timing chain pins? Should be 20 from mark to mark. If its off by one tooth, could be whats causing the valves to stay open.

Can't remember which shims goes to which, I always just look at the rocker arm. The shim guide (slotted one) will only sit on one side of the rocker arm.

fenderguitarist
09-22-2011, 12:40 PM
mechanical timing was on, checked a friends det today and discovered that i have my guides on backwards on both sides. I'm pulling the intake cam out now and found 2 broken guides, can't wait to see the exhaust side. Does anyone know if the DE has the same guides?

fenderguitarist
09-22-2011, 09:11 PM
got some new guides from a DE, car started right up no problem. If anyone searches for this similar problem in the future, the guides on the exhaust side go first then the shim, and the intake side the shim goes first then the guide goes second (looking from the front of the engine). I couldn't find that info anywhere.

fliprayzin240sx
09-22-2011, 09:57 PM
Good shit...did you recheck the compression just for the hell of it after changing the shims?

fenderguitarist
09-23-2011, 12:37 AM
I'm gonna do that first thing tomorrow.