PDA

View Full Version : College education is the largest scam in U.S. history

az_240
05-15-2011, 05:19 PM
YouTube - College Conspiracy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpZtX32sKVE)
College conspiracy^
It's not what it used to be....
Kinda long but well worth it!

240o'clock
05-15-2011, 06:32 PM
College is for tards

Just own a strip club youll be wielthy and have the bitches

icedsole
05-15-2011, 06:57 PM
interesting......

lol'd when home boi said it cost him 2k a year

ronmcdon
05-15-2011, 07:03 PM
Got about 25 mins into it (over an hour long).
Some things I agree, other I do not.

The message I get so far is that 'student loans' and gov't policy is a scam.
Gov't is artificially driving up the cost of college (much like the real estate market), but making loans accessible to everyone, regardless of credit.
This causes artificial demand that drives up cost of college.

In the end, college debts are higher.
some loans may or not be paid, which further devalues the worth of the dollar.

I don't see this as making college, overall, a scam.
but it does make a compelling case of government involvement in student loans.
Some professions ultimately will require some level of formal education or training.
(you can't be a Medical Doctor through browsing the internet)
Some schools are cheaper than others.
(not everyone needs to go to USC w/ 60k +/year, or whatever those thieves charge today.
I went to UCSD and paid maybe 7k annual for my undergraduate degree)
Some degrees are more practical than others
(engineering vs. say sociology).

Education has NEVER been the only path to financial prosperity,
although it remains the most conventional path to do so even outside of the US.

A lot of other things are just a matter of inflation.
The old folks in the US, who say 'the old times were harder' have HIGHLY questionable credibility unless they went through the great depression.

IMO, if the gov't had to spend $$$ in a constructive way for the sake of education,
they should fund public colleges in sense where the cost of college remains as affordable as possible, where ppl wouldn't even have to take out huge loans.
Maybe keep city/state college tuition low, and not lay off teachers there.
By driving loans artificially low, you wonder who is the true beneficiary?

IMO, the real scam and failure is American public elementary & high schools, but that's another can of worms entirely.
I'm convinced 'no child left behind' was a good policy.
There has to be some level of quality control as far as HS graduation goes.
Schools can't just graduate anyone, so that they can get their funding.
It's not perfect, but it's a step in the right direction IMO.

theicecreamdan
05-15-2011, 07:16 PM
I'm working on undergrad at UCSD, and I'm MAKING money

lflkajfj12123
05-15-2011, 07:31 PM
just finished watching

EXCELLENT video

agree 100% with everything and its the same shit i've been thinking about over and over in my head while attending college

Catch240
05-15-2011, 07:34 PM
wow..good watch
didnt know that the health care bill also meant government student loan funding.

kenS14
05-15-2011, 07:37 PM
agreed there shouldn't be nomore student loans
cant wait to finish up...eehhh
get a good job not in socal(emission reasons)
make money then waste it on a dream daily drive/track car
...the life...

icedsole
05-15-2011, 07:37 PM
agree 100% with everything and its the same shit i've been thinking about over and over in my head while attending college

hahah my dude

MikeisNissan
05-15-2011, 11:15 PM
i think universities are scams. Like you get into debt, then graduate to get a job to pay your debt. I think community college is cool tho.

theicecreamdan
05-15-2011, 11:33 PM
I watched most of it... lol

buy gold and silver, it will keep you alive.

lawrenceyang
05-16-2011, 01:28 PM
that guy with crooked eyes is so fucking annoying

enkei2k
05-16-2011, 01:29 PM
VpZtX32sKVE

embeded for you

icedsole
05-16-2011, 02:45 PM
i watched this twice

lawrenceyang
05-16-2011, 08:32 PM
i am now legitimately worried about my life

driftsilvias13
05-16-2011, 08:36 PM
Anyone who thinks graduating college is the only way to a successful future is a fool.

spooled240
05-16-2011, 09:15 PM
it's not the only way but it's a good thing to do if you don't know wtf you want to do after HS.

my advice is go to a community college and knock out that general ed, I paid about 270 a semester plus 300 for books, I was living at home and it all 90 units transferred to 60 quarter units at a CSU SAME SHIT

ronmcdon
05-16-2011, 10:51 PM
Thats sort of what I was saying.
City colleges ( and other public colleges ) are the best deal out there.
I can't speak for other states, but in CA if you apply yourself in HS or even city college,
Its not difficult to transfer into a decent reasonable cost college, like UCLA.

Why would anyone want to go to USC for 60k vs UCLA for say 10k for the same bachelors degree is beyond me.

Thug Life
05-17-2011, 01:12 PM
Shit is inevitably going to hit the fan.

theicecreamdan
05-17-2011, 07:34 PM
Anyone who thinks graduating college is the only way to a successful future is a fool.

Just as foolish as anybody who says a college degree is worthless.

Dentist lady should have taken a few more math classes and a reality check.

DS562
05-17-2011, 11:14 PM
i only go to college because i cant find a job and cant pursue my career choice until im 21.
but this was my last semester because i cant afford to return due to rising costs. its bullshit really. and i cant find a job because i dont have a degree and/or im not bilingual. its a viscious cycle.

Fractur3
05-17-2011, 11:27 PM
I'm going into my 3rd year at college and I haven't learned a god damn thing. The majority of jobs you get with a degree need training anyway to learn to do the job so what is the point?

codyace
05-18-2011, 08:29 PM
College on Credit is what has ruined it IMO. Much like everythign in life, if you can't afford it, you're not trying hard enough for it.

murda-c
05-18-2011, 08:32 PM
College on Credit is what has ruined it IMO. Much like everythign in life, if you can't afford it, you're not trying hard enough for it.

Iunno, i feel like the credit is necessary. nobody is going to go to med school and work enough hours to pay for it at the same time. and if you wanted to save up for it you'd end up being 40 years old before you even started.

codyace
05-18-2011, 08:54 PM
Iunno, i feel like the credit is necessary. nobody is going to go to med school and work enough hours to pay for it at the same time. and if you wanted to save up for it you'd end up being 40 years old before you even started.

I guess the 'Bruery' ha clouted my thought, but you are right. IMO certain desirable things are deserved of credit, but my comment was directed at these bums taking bullshit credits towards nonsensical majors...and then bitching that college was wack when they have a degree in Lawncare and can't get that CIA job kinda deal.

ManoNegra
05-18-2011, 10:00 PM
I'm going into my 3rd year at college and I haven't learned a god damn thing. The majority of jobs you get with a degree need training anyway to learn to do the job so what is the point?

point is without that degree you're not going to even get through the door
and be given the training.

I guess the 'Bruery' ha clouted my thought, but you are right. IMO certain desirable things are deserved of credit, but my comment was directed at these bums taking bullshit credits towards nonsensical majors...and then bitching that college was wack when they have a degree in Lawncare and can't get that CIA job kinda deal.

exactly,
college is great (it was for me in many respects)
but have a good idea of what you want to become career wise
I didn't so I chose the most challenging thing I could
and now I have a Physics degree that I've never put to use
not to say my education was pointless
organization, task management, work ethic and the confidence
in knowing that I can do anything I put my mind to is a direct
result of my education

I love my job but it's demanding and carries a great deal of
responsibility and stress
I didn't go to school to learn it
I was brought into a 'sink or swim' situation by a friend
(whom I met at a 240 meet btw)
couldn't have done it without my education background

and on the other hand:
my boss/friend who runs the company I work at is a HS drop out
one of a few people I've met in my life that is literally too smart for school

codyace
05-18-2011, 10:27 PM
exactly,
college is great (it was for me in many respects)
but have a good idea of what you want to become career wise
I didn't so I chose the most challenging thing I could
and now I have a Physics degree that I've never put to use
not to say my education was pointless
organization, task management, work ethic and the confidence
in knowing that I can do anything I put my mind to is a direct
result of my education

And that (to me) is the main point of college. Certainly there things to learn and rehearse, but it's the critical thinking, the problem solving, and the ability to gather multiple sources to form an opinion that are most important from college. Half of the complainers up have a hard time working google...no wonder why they didn't 'get much' from college..

Walperstyle
05-21-2011, 02:50 AM
Watch this:

Ken Robinson says schools kill creativity | Video on TED.com (http://www.ted.com/talks/ken_robinson_says_schools_kill_creativity.html)

I know so many post secondary students that spent years in University that come out un-able to apply the knowledge they have. NEVER go into school expecting a job to be waiting for you. Take classes that get you places, or give you the ability to corner a market somewhere. And always expect to move. Never stay planted too long.

TheWolf
05-22-2011, 02:45 PM
At my local university, the school dragged it's feet building the engineering building for students by 6 years. That didn't stop them from taking engineering students like me and then getting them 3 years into a program and really trying to force them into another field. At the end, you could see that it was a worthless piece of paper. Mechanical engineering students graduating without ever building anything. Even with this new building which is half the size of the next building I"ll talk about, mechanical students have what amounts to a single garage bay to build their senior design project. Not sure what they can build though because cutting tools are not allowed. No mills, no lathes, no welders, no plasma cutters, no torches not even a circular saw. They were lucky and got approved last year for a jigsaw and a sawzall. So combine that with a drill and a walmart tool kit. They're pretty much set to build almost nothing unless it's done at their house or off campus.

They magically found the money to build a complex twin tower "student union" building that includes a bar, a pool hall, a room with nothing but xbox's and ps3's with games, a full arcade, movie theater and executive level office space for Student Government, LBGT affiars, etc etc. A full bank, a starbucks, 10 restaurants, a two story book store that has more apparel than your local old navy, etc. To compliment this new "upgrade", they felt the need to build new dorms. Since college students don't need "affordable" housing, they built 3 person 2000 sqft luxury apartments er I mean dorm rooms. The whole complex is ringed with a lazy river and has it's own waterslide. For those of us who don't live on campus, we're now paying $175 a semester for a premium parking pass which means we can park within 4 miles of campus and not take the shuttle and we're being taught by adjuncts getting paid $1600 a semester to teach the class. The one time I had a real tenured professor, he was a complete goon. Spent most of his adult life studying crustaceans in hawaii. Moves to florida because he needs to "get on our manatee problem". In the end, no one knew what he wanted us to know and he had to curve the class grades 15 FINAL points. If I was an idiot and borrowed all the money to live on campus, buy books at the ridiculous book store, and borrowed money for classes, I'd be pissed. Nothing serious is going on and the only thing that has increased while I was there is the tuition, the price of books, and the number of parking tickets they wrote.

theicecreamdan
05-22-2011, 06:12 PM
Why would you sign up for a shitty engineering program?

allntrlundrgrnd
05-22-2011, 07:04 PM
it's not the only way but it's a good thing to do if you don't know wtf you want to do after HS.

my advice is go to a community college and knock out that general ed, I paid about 270 a semester plus 300 for books, I was living at home and it all 90 units transferred to 60 quarter units at a CSU SAME SHIT

I totally agree with you about attending community college before applying to college/universities but it's not very reasonable to say go to college right after hs when you have no idea what you want to do with your life. I've attended both and regret not finishing an associates program at CC.

Another option I don't think has been mentioned is joining the military. Google post 911 g.i. bill. Its worth ALOT. I also regret not joining before I went to school and wasted time and money.

ronmcdon
05-22-2011, 07:37 PM
I would not lose any sleep over it.
A.A. degree is pretty much worthless in terms of practical value.
I've never seen any job ad that asks for it.

lol, even my B.A. in psychology from uc san diego is worthless and that's why im doing a master's program now.

dat411kid
05-22-2011, 07:43 PM
its not what it used to be i agree.

allntrlundrgrnd
05-22-2011, 08:24 PM
I would not lose any sleep over it.
A.A. degree is pretty much worthless in terms of practical value.
I've never seen any job ad that asks for it.

lol, even my B.A. in psychology from uc san diego is worthless and that's why im doing a master's program now.

It will save you a ton of money going to CC first and transferring. I wasn't suggesting only getting an associates.

future
05-22-2011, 08:30 PM
A lot of valid points, but I can say its the biggest waqy to take your money. And one place thoes does it well. UTI. I'm dropping out because its so much of a joke and all they want is your money, not to help you

97nismo
05-22-2011, 08:41 PM
After its said and done................... I will have 200k+ in education alone

*sigh*

zeitgeist
05-23-2011, 08:20 AM
The first couple years of college seemed worthless. Just a rehash of high school

When I finally started getting into classes that applied to my major, then I started getting my moneys worth.

My primary concern with our education is that everything is just a corporation now and it seems like there isnt emphasis in actual learning, but just getting the grade.

Alot of the material has to be watered down just so those whom dont put hard work in can pass. A bachelors seemed a little to easy

theicecreamdan
05-26-2011, 03:59 PM
My primary concern with our education is that everything is just a corporation now and it seems like there isnt emphasis in actual learning, but just getting the grade.

Anybody walking out of a college with just the grade deserves what they paid for. Its up to the student to take anything more away from the program.

I think a big problem is the pressure kids feel to get into a college right after high school. Without any experience leading them to something they actually care about learning.

iwishiwas-all*
05-26-2011, 05:47 PM
just finished watching

EXCELLENT video

max finish ur degree get into to oil industry and make bank like me.

lflkajfj12123
05-26-2011, 05:48 PM
don't want nsx

iwishiwas-all*
05-26-2011, 05:51 PM
moreover, I went to college, for engineering, came out, got a job in the auto industry and I am learning everything I ever wanted to know about my favorite thing- cars.

College is just a tool, you have to be a competent fuck if you want to get a job after college. Ask the unemployed classmates who had better GPA's then me.

If you think doing UTI or whatever a car company is gonna hire you and you are gonna make crazy money you are touching yourself.

Fine, I got college loans, about 38k when I graduated. I went to a private school, I am paying it off and I live like a king on my salary.

You have to pay for it but it is worth it- If you are trying to do something in life.

JVD
06-10-2011, 09:20 AM
I think a big problem is the pressure kids feel to get into a college right after high school. Without any experience leading them to something they actually care about learning.
Couldn't agree more.

Post secondary education has turned into something kids "must" do. I felt so much pressure from my parents/teachers/peers to enroll somewhere straight out of high school. I couldn't find a program I was super interested in so I took some time off. Worked a few jobs. I don't think I was mature enough to be in school. It would have been a waste of time/money because I would have been going just to appease everyone else.

I later attended college for a year. I learned a bit but didn't really feel it's what I wanted to do. Got a job offer from family before my second year.

I'm currently doing that and absolutely love my job. At some point I might be interested in going back to school. Not to get a piece of paper or a grade... but to learn something I'm interested in.

Mikey213
06-10-2011, 10:26 PM
I started out as a dishwasher now I got my own... :P

codyace
06-10-2011, 10:31 PM
to me experience is earned, not gained

theicecreamdan
06-11-2011, 03:20 PM
what does that even mean?

ronmcdon
06-11-2011, 03:38 PM
think he meant to say respect is earned, not gained.
can't make any sense out of it otherwise.

Mikey213
06-11-2011, 03:40 PM
Ahahah homegirl of mine just grad UCLA today. We're gonna fucken party hard, then next month she's gonna pick me up in her brand new M3 with JPL liscense plate holders. So I guess it goes... If you know why you're doing, YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING.

Nick_04K
06-11-2011, 04:18 PM
^ You sound like an idiot? Yes, true.

What exactly did "homegirl" attend UCLA for? And what is this awesome job that her awesome new degree got her..which enabled her to have an awesome new M3 "with JPL license (Yes, that is how you correctly spell it you fucking retard) plate holders."

ronmcdon
06-11-2011, 05:28 PM
'JPL license plate holders' is what's important. They're a true status symbol.

codyace
06-11-2011, 05:50 PM
what does that even mean?

think he meant to say respect is earned, not gained.
can't make any sense out of it otherwise.

I mean, you don't have experience until you actually do something. You build something, you've got experience. You can't 'gain' experience by reading.

So with that said, I believe way to many people credit their college as 'experience' when the reality is they have nothing to show for their ability other than debt and book reciepts.

I'm not saying college is a waste(hell I have a degree), I just believe that way to many are under the assumption that it automatically makes them the subject matter expert on something.

ronmcdon
06-11-2011, 06:10 PM
I would probably just differentiate between academic and work experience.
Many formal education degrees do require some level of work experience before you graduate.
Experience is just experience, the way I see it.
Not really sure it's fair to say academic experience isn't earned.
I don't think it's any easier per say, or really even comparable.

The M.A. degree in psychology I'm working for requires a minimal 300 hrs.
Being licensed as an MFT in CA requires 3,000.

ESmorz
06-11-2011, 07:24 PM

You have your own dish?

240sx Project
06-11-2011, 08:10 PM
College is for tards

Just own a strip club youll be wielthy and have the bitches
It's spelled "wealthy". It is evident that you did NOT take a serious approach to school. Maybe you were looking at the "dumb bitches" hoping to employ them in your future "strip club"! haha!

SK91
06-11-2011, 11:27 PM

i want my own dish too, got any tips for me?

yokotas13
06-12-2011, 01:09 AM
I hated school. Wasn't a challenge. Never went to college at all. But I'm still making a very comfortable living off what the USAF taught me with jet engines

There are many ways to skin a cat, as long as the skin gets off, don't care how you do it!

Matej
06-12-2011, 02:50 AM
Everyone who has not figured out for themselves everything stated in that video before even entering college should not be in college anyway.
That being said, I personally will still go to college rather than not go to college.

I also find it humorous how in any thread pertaining to higher education so many people feel the need to validate their choice to not go to college and let it be known to everyone that they do not want a degree. Especially when they give as an example some individual who happened to 'make it,' in which case good luck becoming that 0.01%, because chances are if you are not already, you never will be.

Obviously, college is not for everyone. However, please do not interfere with another individual's choice to pursue higher education/not pursue higher education. That decision is entirely unto oneself.

College works great and exactly as intended for the top 10% of students who actually give it their all and excel, and have employers fighting over them before even graduating. The remaining 90% are just there to pay for the top 10%'s ride, and they are too naive to realize it. :)

Mikey213
06-12-2011, 10:01 AM
^ You sound like an idiot? Yes, true.

What exactly did "homegirl" attend UCLA for? And what is this awesome job that her awesome new degree got her..which enabled her to have an awesome new M3 "with JPL license (Yes, that is how you correctly spell it you fucking retard) plate holders."

Ahhahaha I didn't know you could hear my drunken keystrokes through the internet. You wanna be grammar nazi, goat eating, dunce cap for a jimmy hat player. She has a topographical engineering position at JPL. I didn't go to a university and I used to live in-between Echo and Mc Arthur park (LA) but I make enough to have property in the Philippines so far.

Mikey213
06-12-2011, 10:07 AM
You have your own dish?

No, I have my own built in Samsung in black. Something I always wanted! ;P

College works great and exactly as intended for the top 10% of students who actually give it their all and excel, and have employers fighting over them before even graduating. The remaining 90% are just there to pay for the top 10%'s ride, and they are too naive to realize it.
Yup, that's pretty much it.

SK91
06-12-2011, 02:01 PM
mikey is mad

ESmorz
06-12-2011, 04:24 PM
No, I have my own built in Samsung in black. Something I always wanted! ;P

Built into your dishes?

Wicked.

Mikey213
06-12-2011, 06:21 PM
mikey is mad

Thanks cutie pie :P~

Btw anyone know about the schizo Professor at Princeton?

ZenkiKid
06-13-2011, 01:37 PM
I can somehwat agree with a College education being a scam.

I admit leading up to graduating I was a fool.. thinking that yeah the degree was still worth its weight in gold in the job market but now that I am about a month into being a post grad I havent found jack shit.

I graduated in may with a degree in criminal justice. I have about 3 years of experience in the field. 2 years in the courts in a student intern position ( Youd be surprised at the workload that us student workers have. )We share the same responsibilities/duties as any regular worker here except we get paid at a fraction of the price and get 0 benefits. No paid holidays either. I spent a year as an intern with the Department of Child Support services and I can honestly say I didnt learn or do shit. CA is so fucked up with their fund allocations its ridiculous. When I was with DCSS I was getting paid double what I get now and I hardly did anything to earn it.

So yeah.. with a degree AND field experience I still cant find a job. You would think that criminal justice jobs would be so plentiful since people tend to resort to do crazy things when theyre broke. But nope... I have only applied for one position so far because alot of the positions open right now have stupid qualifications that I am sure hardly anyone has.

If I could go back I woulda did the ROTC program that my CSU had. At least when I graduated I wouldve had an officer rank to fall back on and not have to worry about finding a job like how I am struggling to do right now.

lawrenceyang
06-13-2011, 02:06 PM
I can somehwat agree with a College education being a scam.

I admit leading up to graduating I was a fool.. thinking that yeah the degree was still worth its weight in gold in the job market but now that I am about a month into being a post grad I havent found jack shit.

I graduated in may with a degree in criminal justice. I have about 3 years of experience in the field. 2 years in the courts in a student intern position ( Youd be surprised at the workload that us student workers have. )We share the same responsibilities/duties as any regular worker here except we get paid at a fraction of the price and get 0 benefits. No paid holidays either. I spent a year as an intern with the Department of Child Support services and I can honestly say I didnt learn or do shit. CA is so fucked up with their fund allocations its ridiculous. When I was with DCSS I was getting paid double what I get now and I hardly did anything to earn it.

So yeah.. with a degree AND field experience I still cant find a job. You would think that criminal justice jobs would be so plentiful since people tend to resort to do crazy things when theyre broke. But nope... I have only applied for one position so far because alot of the positions open right now have stupid qualifications that I am sure hardly anyone has.

If I could go back I woulda did the ROTC program that my CSU had. At least when I graduated I wouldve had an officer rank to fall back on and not have to worry about finding a job like how I am struggling to do right now.

honestly considering the rotc path that you thought about right now

ZenkiKid
06-13-2011, 04:58 PM
if you are gonna do the program with a university decide soon because its like another 30 units (CSU) added to your requirement to graduate. I thought about it too late when I only had like 10 units to go.

cdlong
06-14-2011, 03:39 PM
You can still do it after graduation, just find an officer recruiter for your service of choice and apply for OTS/OCS.

If all you're doing is applying to jobs here and there, you're doing it wrong. Finding a job is a full time job, at least 25 hours a week. And it's all about networking. Try volunteering in a similar area (maybe a community watch or something) or try finding networking groups on meetup.com.

Fred Allen Burge
06-17-2011, 09:20 AM
College is a problem in America. It's often just used as an excuse to put off the real world for a few more years and party even harder than ever.

But my biggest problem with college is they didn't teach me how to MAKE money because most of them (professors) don't even know how themselves, I mean think about it, they have a J.O.B. (Just Over Broke), they teach what they're good at - how to get a J.O.B. of your own.

I learned what I really needed to know on my own after a few years of bouncing around from job to job and finally stumbling on THE KEY.

Fred

WISH ONE
06-17-2011, 11:09 AM
Having a college degree is like having a high school diploma nowadays.
IMO its not so much what you learn in college but the discipline and the Idea that you can complete something long term, that's what employers look at.
Most college degrees are based around subjects that you will never use in your life.
College is what you make it.
The way i see it there is 3 ways to make it
1. be an entrepreneur, business owner, inventor etc
2. Invest
3. work for a company and climb the ladder

I so glad someone started this type of thread.
I have had so many questions and doubts about going back to school, this may be of great help.

lflkajfj12123
06-21-2011, 05:29 PM
did some reading up on NIA and the INFLATION.US website (the people who made the video)

turns out its a HUGE scam and the owners of the company are noted and convicted for pump and dump scams in the past

they make video to grab lots of attention and cue you to sign up for their newsletter

the newsletter then sends you stock recommendations to which they partake in and jack the price up when you buy them and then sell them leaving you with nothing

the college conspiracy video gets your attention on inflation and to the fact that only gold and silver will save you... THEN they only recommend you gold and silver penny stocks to buy

don't get my wrong i still think college is mostly a joke but viewer beware of these scammers jonathan lebed and george4title

WISH ONE
06-21-2011, 05:32 PM
there was a whole section in the OC register about how college is a waste.

KOME
06-22-2011, 04:14 PM
I'm attending my local CC at the moment. FAFSA is paying for it. Honestly i don't know what i would have done if FAFSA wasn't paying for it, to be honest i think i would have gone straight to the military like I'm still planning on doing after college. But i wanted some sort of education before i did that.

Anyways, it took me about a year after high school before i realized what i wanted to do and COULD do, as apposed to what i REALLY want to do but CAN'T afford. FUCK YOU UOA!!!! AND FUCK YOU TOO UTI!!! Turning wrenches isn't worth 30k.

KOME
06-22-2011, 04:15 PM
My post is so unrelated to what everyone is talking about. lol

FRpilot
06-22-2011, 05:11 PM
did some reading up on NIA and the INFLATION.US website (the people who made the video)

turns out its a HUGE scam and the owners of the company are noted and convicted for pump and dump scams in the past

they make video to grab lots of attention and cue you to sign up for their newsletter

the newsletter then sends you stock recommendations to which they partake in and jack the price up when you buy them and then sell them leaving you with nothing

the college conspiracy video gets your attention on inflation and to the fact that only gold and silver will save you... THEN they only recommend you gold and silver penny stocks to buy

don't get my wrong i still think college is mostly a joke but viewer beware of these scammers jonathan lebed and george4title

yea i never heard of NIA but their videos look well done and somewhat professional. after your post, they appear even more like a cultlike than i had originally thought.

WISH ONE
06-22-2011, 05:45 PM
I'm attending my local CC at the moment. FAFSA is paying for it. Honestly i don't know what i would have done if FAFSA wasn't paying for it, to be honest i think i would have gone straight to the military like I'm still planning on doing after college. But i wanted some sort of education before i did that.

Anyways, it took me about a year after high school before i realized what i wanted to do and COULD do, as apposed to what i REALLY want to do but CAN'T afford. FUCK YOU UOA!!!! AND FUCK YOU TOO UTI!!! Turning wrenches isn't worth 30k.

UTI is the biggest scam, and waste of money.

06-22-2011, 05:53 PM
College is not for everyone! Plain and simple. Some people have what it takes to endure 4 years of studying to earn a piece of paper that says that you are knowledgeable in a particular field of study. Others choose not to go this route and decide to seek financial gain through other outlets. Whatever path is chosen, the goal is always the same which is to achieve financial security. However, I personally believe a degree from a reputable school will certainly put you ahead in the race to a more desirable choose of career.

KOME
06-22-2011, 05:54 PM
UTI is the biggest scam, and waste of money.

Yeah, dropped right out of it when i realized I'd be 30 k in depth for ten years. Bastards still have my $150 registration fee though! I kept the multimeter though might come in handy -_-

06-22-2011, 06:05 PM
There are a lot of schools out there now that will offer you such degrees as a M.B.A or a PHD online! I think that these schools are the largest scams in regarding college. They persuade many people to enroll and will pretty much accept anyone without looking into education background and history. After graduation, you are just another unemployed person with a PHD from a joke school that many businesses will fail to recognize. The sad thing is these schools move onto the next person and they don't have a problem taking your money and putting you in debt.

SochBAT
06-22-2011, 09:09 PM
I'm attending my local CC at the moment. FAFSA is paying for it. Honestly i don't know what i would have done if FAFSA wasn't paying for it. to be honest, i think i would have gone straight to the military like I'm still planning on doing after college. But i wanted some sort of education before i did that.

Anyways, it took me about a year after high school before i realized what i wanted to do and COULD do, as opposed to what i REALLY want to do but CAN'T afford. FUCK YOU UOA!!!! AND FUCK YOU TOO UTI!!! Turning wrenches isn't worth 30k.

Yeah, dropped right out of it when i realized I'd be 30k in debt for ten years. Bastards still have my $150 registration fee though! I kept the multimeter though might come in handy -_-

Yeah, college isn't for everyone. I'm in classes where people can't differentiate between the [your, you're] and do nothing but write run-on sentences without any punctuation ever.

It really grinds my gears when I see this. One, I write with more clarity and precision than more than half these fucks, but they still score higher than me on papers. Two, I am, often, commended for my writing by other professors in the same field about my writing. Three, my most irritating observation, HOW THE FUCK did these morons that still can not "spell good" get into these classes? The retard in the back who writes at a 9th grade level gets a solid A, where I somehow tank and get a shitty B? I hate how these professors grade on growth as opposed to comprehension levels.

If the fucker can't spell or use correct sentence structure, he/she should NOT be in critical writing. FUCK.

KOME
06-22-2011, 10:46 PM
dis nigga mad

06-22-2011, 10:55 PM
Guess this discussion raised a few pulses..lol

24boosted
06-22-2011, 11:18 PM
My college education paid for my house and four cars in Socal, granted it's not for everyone, but it does better your chances. It's not a guaranty that you will be successful in life but it is a service available.

It's what you make of it. Most asian cultures are extremely dedicated to education despite the financial outcome, higher education ftw.

Speed Junky
06-23-2011, 12:26 AM
My college education paid for my house and four cars in Socal, granted it's not for everyone, but it does better your chances. It's not a guaranty that you will be successful in life but it is a service available.

It's what you make of it. Most asian cultures are extremely dedicated to education despite the financial outcome, higher education ftw.

:squint:

Yeah, dropped right out of it when i realized I'd be 30 k in depth for ten years. Bastards still have my $150 registration fee though! I kept the multimeter though might come in handy -_-

So where would someone go to get a degree in the automotive field?

az_240
06-23-2011, 03:20 AM

So where would someone go to get a degree in the automotive field?

^My local community college (Gateway in Phoenix) has an AWESOME automotive program. Everything you need to know to get your ASE certs.

I took the brakes, transmissions/differentials, and suspension courses which at the time totaled out to about $1100 including books. Learned a lot and would gladly do something like that again.

Some community colleges have better programs than others so it's good to do your research before enrolling.

Speed Junky
06-23-2011, 10:11 AM
^My local community college (Gateway in Phoenix) has an AWESOME automotive program. Everything you need to know to get your ASE certs.

I took the brakes, transmissions/differentials, and suspension courses which at the time totaled out to about $1100 including books. Learned a lot and would gladly do something like that again.

Some community colleges have better programs than others so it's good to do your research before enrolling.

That does sound awesome, even collision/autobody work? That's what i'd like to get into.

vas570sx
06-23-2011, 10:43 AM
Go to a tech school. Learn one trade and learn it well. Get out of school. Make money.

I went to school for 1 year after high school. I'm 23 years old and make 40k a year sitting in the a/c chattin with you fucks.. I plan to double that income in the next 3-4 years.

Mikey McFly
06-23-2011, 11:08 AM
What the hell man???
What's with this fool discouraging higher learning? That's like telling everyone its okay to be ignorant. Shooot, three pages of people mostly bitching about debts, currently wasting their time in classes, and walking around aimlessly with a diploma up their rears... Unbelieveable.

Come one now. -_-

Are you guys just looking for other people in the same situation as you so you all can have a pity party? Fcuk that noise! Here, I'll break it down for you:

1. Pay off whatever school loan you have as you're attending school. You know you're allowed to do that right? So whenever you do graduate, you're not paying this outstanding amount for the next x-amount of years.

2. Apply for any and every grant or scholarship you can find. Getting a higher education can get expensive. First there are tuition and book fees, then you need supplies, clothes on your back, food, and then you need some sort of transportation. That's just the minimum. Then you need money so you can go party, money for your 42" big screen so you can do your homework from your comfy couch, and money so you can finish building that sick track car you only see in magazines. And how can you do all of that and still be in school? You apply for any and every grant/scholarship you can find. ITS FREE MONEY. YOU DON'T NEED TO PAY IT BACK. Even if you don't meet the qualifications of a certain scholarship, who cares? Apply anyways! You might be accepted to receive said scholarship/grant because you were the only one to apply. The people/organizations giving away these "prizes" WANT you to take it because, in return, they get to use you as a tax write-off. You get FREE MONEY and they get put into a lower tax bracket and pay less taxes. EVERYONE WINS!

3. READ EVERYTHING and always ask questions. You know how to read, right? So why stop reading after you get that high school diploma? Wait, what? You thought that all those small texts in contracts and disclaimers were for decoration? NO! They're not for that at all. There is important information in ALL of that. Even information that is meant to benefit you. In some instances, I've found that I would be able to make late payments on loans without any repercussions or raise in interest and all I would need to do is call the bank to make that happen. I haven't had to do that because I have my scholarships and grants pay my bills, but I found that out by actually taking the time to sit down and read through the contract.
Always remember to ask questions. Need a new laptop? Write a letter to ASUS explaining that you're a student studying for said major and your current situation doesn't allow for a more advanced computer. See if they would "sponsor" you and hook you up with a new laptop. I've seen it happen and big companies are more than happy to hook you up. 1. It's a tax write off for them and 2. Now they get to use you as a walking billboard because you're going to brag about how ASUS sent you a free laptop. I would brag about it.

You just need to be proactive.

Go after things and ask for things that you want. All you need to do is ask. Period.

And if you're that lazy, to where you don't want to do any of this, then join the military!
It's the only organization where you can get a constant pay check for doing absolutely nothing.

Think about it.

WISH ONE
06-23-2011, 11:10 AM
A degree in the automotive field is usually a mechanical engineering degree.
If you want wrench on cars. Go to a junior college and enroll in some courses, part time at a shop or intern.
If you want to learn a trade learn it from the person who does it best(in your opinion).

stevenwhite1989
06-23-2011, 11:21 AM
Its all about research!
I wish I had done more research before I went into college, but I waited way to late to apply my self in high school, so I didn't really have much of a choice anyways.

I totally agree with saving money by doing your general studies at a CC, its by far the smartest way to do things.

I have two Associate's Degree's,
1. Instrumentation and Control Automation
2. Electrical Engineering Technology

I had 5 job offers when I graduated, and a lot of fellow class mates where in the same boat that I was in. I make more than my friends that came out of school with B.S. degrees, and I will always make more than them.

Also, pick a job that you know you stand a good chance of getting. I chose my path, because I knew that there will always be some sort of EE job.

Military is an excellent alternative to college, the military could be the best job security in the country right now.

Speed Junky
06-23-2011, 12:28 PM
Military is an excellent alternative to college, the military could be the best job security in the country right now.

Funny you say that, my platoon Sergeant tell us that a lot.

kenS14
06-23-2011, 12:33 PM
Funny you say that, my platoon Sergeant tell us that a lot.

unless ur a pos with a bad pft/cft and on pcp then they want u out...
just my .02

SochBAT
06-23-2011, 01:39 PM
I really wish being a grammar Nazi was a viable option.

I think MikeyMcFly has a nice solid post - college is what you make of it. Its the clay, you're the sculptor.

Speed Junky
06-23-2011, 01:42 PM
unless ur a pos with a bad pft/cft and on pcp then they want u out...
just my .02

No not at all, you're thinking too negative man. He say's that a lot during his briefings when soldiers are gettin lazy or something f*cks up, so he's like, "If you don't like it get out, but you gotta understand the job you have now is the most secured job in the country, you won't find anything out there."

cdlong
06-23-2011, 02:33 PM
1. Pay off whatever school loan you have as you're attending school. You know you're allowed to do that right? So whenever you do graduate, you're not paying this outstanding amount for the next x-amount of years.

Not always the best plan. School loans are usually interest free while you're full time. If you have the cash, it's better to invest it somewhere else, mutual fund, CD, even just a savings account. Better to get 1-2% on your money (and have something for a rainy day) then to pay it down since paying off a no interest loan gets you nothing. It's actually a negative when you consider inflation. Once you graduate, you can make a larger payment than what you would have paid in total otherwise and consolidate the loan to a fairly low rate.

I haven't looked at interest rates in a while but often times, it's still better to drag the payments out after graduation also. You can make more interest on the cash than the loan is costing you and school loan interest is tax deductible.

steve shadows
06-23-2011, 02:43 PM
College is a problem in America. It's often just used as an excuse to put off the real world for a few more years and party even harder than ever.

:picardfp:

But my biggest problem with college is they didn't teach me how to MAKE money because most of them (professors) don't even know how themselves, I mean think about it, they have a J.O.B. (Just Over Broke), they teach what they're good at - how to get a J.O.B. of your own.

I learned what I really needed to know on my own after a few years of bouncing around from job to job and finally stumbling on THE KEY.

Fred

. Exactly .

steve shadows
06-23-2011, 02:47 PM
The biggest thing I can impart on people is the following, and I have made some mistakes myself:

KNOW YOUR TERRITORY - i.e. where and what you are looking to do.

Then don't let anything stop you. You can self-educate yourself in many ways now and use that couple of years after HS as a launching point to start your own thing, get technical training and sharpen your interpersonal and sales skills (even if you're an engineer or a tech) and learn how to really sell yourself. Get a thick skin fast and go for it.

I think if I skipped my degree I'd be where I am now when I was 20-21 but with most of my family in Higher ED it was impossible for me to get out of it. Some European families are stricter than Asian ones fyi lol

PS Sometimes life experience leads you to exactly where you needed to be and money alone should not be the goal. If you're really good at what you do and how you effect the world around you the money or success however you value it will come. Just don't let anyone get in the way of what you love. Even family.

EDacIouSX
06-23-2011, 02:50 PM
If anyone studied multiple regression here they would know the answer to this problem.

education strongly correlates with wealth/$/success, although it is not the only correlation.

steve shadows
06-23-2011, 02:54 PM
If anyone studied multiple regression here they would know the answer to this problem.

education strongly correlates with wealth/$/success, although it is not the only correlation.

True but if you really TRY to kick ass in a magnet program or solid HS then you can build up your tool box and postive habbits enough so that the rest can be self taught or mastered through practice.

lflkajfj12123
06-23-2011, 05:27 PM

Fred

so you're a locksmith?

duffman1278
06-23-2011, 06:45 PM
Not all college degree's are useless as was mentioned engineering vs sociology. I'm personally in engineering myself and near my under grad and I loved it for the most part. Sure my school wasn't equipped with the latest and greatest technology like the expensive private schools but I did learn a lot from my courses and professors, as well as my peers and friends whom I met through my classes.

Many of them just graduated and are landing really good jobs at big companies with fairly well paying salaries. And in the past I've had jobs that pay me fairly well just because of what I was going to school for.

However I've known business majors and they tell me its very rare for them to get paid internships.

It all comes down to imo the easiness of the degree. The easier it is, usually the more people that graduate from it each year and flood the job market but yet there are so limited jobs out there for them all.

Overall though I loved what I learned and I am more than happy with my decision to go to college and and if willing, I will be trying to go to graduate school.

24boosted
06-23-2011, 11:01 PM
guaranty

Is it spelled wrong?

Speed Junky
06-24-2011, 09:34 AM
guaranty

Is it spelled wrong?

Guarantee (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/guarantee)

Yes, just found your post ironic.

SochBAT
06-24-2011, 03:50 PM
I laugh at posts with spelling and grammar errors.

Not surprisingly, there are a lot of laughs to be had in this thread.

24boosted
06-24-2011, 11:52 PM
Guaranty | Define Guaranty at Dictionary.com (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/guaranty)

Guarantee (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/guarantee)

Yes, just found your post ironic.

Really?

s13 4rey
06-25-2011, 12:55 AM
thats life!!! Iam in a 4year nursing program 8 month in, ps: it cost me 100k for it 20k down & 1k per month payment plan set up!!! THIS SHIT BETTER PAY!!!!

lflkajfj12123
06-25-2011, 12:55 AM
Rearry?

Guarantee is correct, guaranty is specifically a noun and only used in legal writing.

24boosted
06-25-2011, 09:35 AM

Rearry?

Guarantee is correct, guaranty is specifically a noun and only used in legal writing.

So it can't be used in the noun form?

lflkajfj12123
06-25-2011, 10:13 AM
Rearry?             

Otto347
06-25-2011, 11:42 AM
Lol I went to school for 4 months and got paid $888 to do so. Granted I got a loan from my parents for about 6 grand to live for those 4 months but im out of school and making around 60 to 80k and ive been doing it for 3 weeks.

I have always though college was stupid. Other than going to learn something to better yourself.

24boosted
06-25-2011, 01:30 PM
Anyways, back on topic, sort of. To assume a college education will secure a great future or a great job is foolish. A college degree does not mean you will shine above all others. Are there other pathways beside college? Definitely.

Does college reduce your chances of misspelling 'really,' teach you when to capitalize 'sergeant' or the spelling of 'guaranty.' Sometimes.

I don't have a degree in English, journalism or linguistics. English wasn't my first language, but my degree did open up many doors and opportunities. Is 100% perfect grammar required for engineering, chemistry, biology or for graduating college? That depends on the degree. Assuming a college education in any field will provide you with perfect grammar in English is remedial thinking.

Did I love my college experience? Hells yeah. I'd do it again just for the experience.

Do I turn on my computer and log onto zilvia.net assuming that people even myself will make grammatical or spelling mistakes? Yes. Should I be a grammar nazi and show no humility to the various demographics on this forum? No, that would be childish.

Is it certain that you will be successful after college as the video had implied in the beginning? That depends on you. Working at McDonald's is an option that the lady in the video had suggested.

Otto347
06-25-2011, 03:11 PM
Did I love my college experience? Hells yeah. I'd do it again just for the experience.

I can imagine this would only work if you lived on campus or in an apt complex that had a lot of your schools students in it? Kind of like the experience of living with the people you go to school with?

lflkajfj12123
06-25-2011, 03:34 PM
anyways, back on topic, sort of. To assume a college education will secure a great future or a great job is foolish. A college degree does not mean you will shine above all others. Are there other pathways beside college? Definitely.

Does college reduce your chances of misspelling 'really,' teach you when to capitalize 'sergeant' or the spelling of 'guaranty.' sometimes.

I don't have a degree in english, journalism or linguistics. English wasn't my first language, but my degree did open up many doors and opportunities. Is 100% perfect grammar required for engineering, chemistry, biology or for graduating college? That depends on the degree. Assuming a college education in any field will provide you with perfect grammar in english is remedial thinking.

Did i love my college experience? Hells yeah. I'd do it again just for the experience.

Do i turn on my computer and log onto zilvia.net assuming that people even myself will make grammatical or spelling mistakes? Yes. Should i be a grammar nazi and show no humility to the various demographics on this forum? No, that would be childish.

Is it certain that you will be successful after college as the video had implied in the beginning? That depends on you. Working at mcdonald's is an option that the lady in the video had suggested.

soon2bs13
06-25-2011, 04:49 PM
subscribed so i can watch it later.

BoostSlideWayz
06-25-2011, 06:09 PM
yeah i agree with this video..... its too expensive for certain people to go to private or legit colleges.. all i can go to is a comunity college and i dont take full classes.. i only take auto technology.. its affordable at about 60 to 90 bucks a class depending on what you wanna learn... and its just fun.. ill admit i do feel like i am going no where because this last year n a half i have not been able to find a job to keep my daily driver going and its almost like im stuck.. really the only way i would be able to get going again i would need another jump start from my family so i can afford to make my car reliable and find a job.

where i live there arent any places that are hiring and if you want to get hired you have to travel at least 40 to 60 miles.. this video kinda gives me hope for my future.

SimpleS14
06-26-2011, 11:06 AM
lol @ grammar corrections

This video is very interesting and does raise some questions/concerns on the overall state of this nation. I always wonder what would happen if the student loan securitization became a bust (followed by credit card and auto loan securitization).

I'm glad I worked during my time in college and paid for most of my tuition out of pocket (11k in loans).

I was always under the impression that the cost of college was on the raise to shun students from applying and reduce class sizes, but now I see that's far from the case.

I doubt I will go back for my Masters, I'm going to cert. route and take specialized courses. Depending on what fields you're in, having a cert. can lead to an increase opportunity to land the job you want. However, I still believe it's all about who you know, not what you know.

zeitgeist
06-26-2011, 10:34 PM
If there is any class we should be forced to take, its should be how to manage one's finances. Ive never met so many grown college students/graduates whom dont know how to write a check or put any money away for savings.

Walperstyle
06-27-2011, 01:07 AM
^agreed

Kids should read these:

http://www.theinvestorportal.com/wp-content/uploads/rich-dad-poor-dad.jpg
http://www.tradebit.com/usr/lacorona12/pub/9002/Robert-Kiyosaki---Rich-Dad-s-Guide-To-Financial-Freedom---Cashflow-Quadrant.jpg
http://businesstm.com/automaticmillionaire/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/AM-Book-Cover.jpg

If you live in Canada... This is also very good
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51bIsvkU2DL._SL500_.jpg

SimpleS14
06-27-2011, 08:57 AM
+1For Automatic Millionaire

I have that book and I wish I read it during my HS days.

dudermagee
06-27-2011, 09:08 AM
lol @ grammar corrections

This video is very interesting and does raise some questions/concerns on the overall state of this nation. I always wonder what would happen if the student loan securitization became a bust (followed by credit card and auto loan securitization).

I'm glad I worked during my time in college and paid for most of my tuition out of pocket (11k in loans).

I was always under the impression that the cost of college was on the raise to shun students from applying and reduce class sizes, but now I see that's far from the case.

I doubt I will go back for my Masters, I'm going to cert. route and take specialized courses. Depending on what fields you're in, having a cert. can lead to an increase opportunity to land the job you want. However, I still believe it's all about who you know, not what you know.

My wife did the same thing and only had to take out 15k for a 4 year school (would have cost her about 60k). I paid off my loan from my tech school in about 2 years by making 4 times the minimum payment. I never take out car loans and if I do I make 2-3 times the payment. Starting next month I'll be paying an extra $400 a month towards my mortgage, when I pay off my car I'll be paying $700.

On top of that I'm going to get my BA in IT with a minor in management, then I'm going to get my Executive MBA through UCONN's 1.5 year accelerated course. And pay for all of that out of pocket.

Silverbullet
06-27-2011, 10:26 AM
However, I still believe it's all about who you know, not what you know.

I look at college degrees as another form of networking. Many people would not have their jobs today if it wasn't for certain company to school relationships. Large companies do recruiting at popular colleges all around the country, and that is how they get their staff.

GabeS14
06-27-2011, 10:39 AM
I would place college degrees in the same category of scams as I would place cable tv packages. You get you you need out of it but 85% of what your paying for goes to the garbage and you don't ever use so it's a big waist of money. Nothing better then specialized courses or 2 year programs that teach you only what you need to know for that specific career

theicecreamdan
06-27-2011, 11:46 AM
If you only want to do one specific career for the rest of your life.

GabeS14
06-27-2011, 12:06 PM

Not really courses range From 6months To 2 or 3 years. If for some reason you decided you wanted to change directions you could just take another course.
My buddy reently graduated as a respiratory technician who makes $30 + p/h starting pay. After one year he decided he wanted to switch directions he is now doing a different. 1 year Course now when he graduates he will get paid even more since he is qualified for more than one job. In the med field

ronmcdon
06-27-2011, 12:44 PM
I would place college degrees in the same category of scams as I would place cable tv packages. You get you you need out of it but 85% of what your paying for goes to the garbage and you don't ever use so it's a big waist of money. Nothing better then specialized courses or 2 year programs that teach you only what you need to know for that specific career

While I would disagree with 85% mark, I do think a lot of the general ed courses & absurd cost of textbooks are def a 'rip-off'. In the end, maybe 2 and half years of the four years you spend are really dedicated towards something relevant to your bachelors. The same could probably be said for much of the time we spend in high school, esp the senior year.

Getting a master's degree is generally a whole lot more focused however. Working on my master's right now, there is hardly enough bullshit courses, other than a 'cultural diversity' class (lost count on how many times Ive had to take that.) I feel like my time and money is getting what seems to be a more worthwhile ed. Still, I probably couldn't get there without my bachelors.

The ed system isn't a scam, but it there is a lot of inefficiency and profiteering. There's a lot of room for improvement.

theicecreamdan
06-27-2011, 06:11 PM
textbooks are a rip off, stay away from campus bookstores. I've actually made money one quarter selling books I got from amazon to the school bookstore.

ronmcdon
06-27-2011, 08:41 PM
Yeah def check Amazon. Helps too that they have an app for most smartphones.
Be sure to plan ahead though, as a lot of the independent vendors Amazon works with may be inconsistent with shipping.

What I used to do back in the day was to take advantage of the bookstore's 2 day return policy, and just photocopy the pages required for the more expensive textbooks. It was tedious but I saved at least a few hundred if not more over the years

duffman1278
06-28-2011, 09:48 AM
Screw amazon, I just PDF as many books as I can. I didn't even buy a single book for an entire year of college once.

ZenkiKid
06-28-2011, 01:41 PM
half.com and look for sellers who are in the same state as you. Thats what i did. Killed two birds with one stone on all of my deals there, found one that was cheap and had super fast shipping.

Silverbullet
07-01-2011, 11:46 AM

Thats a load of crap. People get stuck in one specific field because they dont take the initiative to make changes. Its best to change positions every so often.

Getting a master's degree is generally a whole lot more focused however. Working on my master's right now, there is hardly enough bullshit courses, .

I find grad classes more of a joke than undergrad classes. The majority of my class mates are working professionals who have kids and families and such. Typically my professors are in the same boat, therefore not a whole lot of effort is put out on either end IMO.

bb4_96
07-01-2011, 12:11 PM
^ speaks the truth. In engineering I have already been in 3 different fields. If you're unmotivated enough to be stuck in a specific career your whole life you should at least join the military, at least you're well compensated while you sit on your ass and wait to be told what to do with your life.

Doesn't matter whether you get a degree or not if you're a turd you're a turd. Always waiting to be told what to do, never striving to beat the curve. And feeling entitled to all the benefits all the while. That is the real problem with this country.

bb4_96
07-01-2011, 12:46 PM

I see what you did there

ronmcdon
07-03-2011, 10:54 AM
Thats a load of crap. People get stuck in one specific field because they dont take the initiative to make changes. Its best to change positions every so often.

I find grad classes more of a joke than undergrad classes. The majority of my class mates are working professionals who have kids and families and such. Typically my professors are in the same boat, therefore not a whole lot of effort is put out on either end IMO.

I can't say the same in my case. The amount of work I put in is about the same, if not more. same amount of reading. I have no tests, but have to write more papers.

I felt the teachers in my undergrad 4-year college really didn't have to do much. a lot of the class sizes were always in lecture halls with a few hundred students, with very little if any chance of interaction. in graduate school, it's all smaller class sizes with 20 or less.

quality of teachers (or even students) is a mixed bag, no different than from undergrad level. As for the students, a lot of the working professionals just go part time, usually night classes. I find that they're usually more serious about school than the kids who go to school full time. This is why I usually opted for night classes. It's no different than the undergrad level.

Of course, I can't speak for your experience. maybe you had a better undergrad experience than I.

Mr. Camshaft
07-08-2011, 10:35 AM
I'll be finishing up a masters in materials science this winter. I can't speak for mechanical, but my courses weren't any harder than what I found in my undergrad. In fact I think it was easier. The professors don't put any effort into teaching well with the exception of Lubarda.

College, both undergrad and grad, are only as good as you make it. Success hinges entirely upon YOU. I didn't do as well in my undergrad years and had difficulty landing interviews. I made the effort to.go through grad school and be a part of Formula SAE which has helped tremendously with my job prospects.

airhead
07-08-2011, 10:57 AM
Watch this:

Ken Robinson says schools kill creativity | Video on TED.com (http://www.ted.com/talks/ken_robinson_says_schools_kill_creativity.html)

I know so many post secondary students that spent years in University that come out un-able to apply the knowledge they have. NEVER go into school expecting a job to be waiting for you. Take classes that get you places, or give you the ability to corner a market somewhere. And always expect to move. Never stay planted too long.

This is very true. A lot of students expect a job right after graduating.
It takes hard work and lots of dedication to find a good job.
Never expect anything to be easy or to be handed to you.
Work hard and move foward thats how I look at it.
Stay in school no matter how busy or finnacial problems you may have.
Dont use excuses! Theres always more than one way. hah:l101:

WISH ONE
07-08-2011, 11:10 AM
My experience with college so far is this:
College is for people who need to be told, who aren’t self starters, and in most cases college is a day care.
Almost everything you need to know can be self taught if you have enough drive and motivation..
College is not for everyone, and like many have said, it’s really up to you what you make of it.

To me the huge question is; Is it worth the investment?
I took classes last semester, finished with a good mark and was extremely disappointed when it was all over.
Having left the class with no new information or knowledge to take with me made me feel like I had wasted lots of TIME and definitely MONEY.
By money I don’t just mean the class and books but also time spent, fuel, commuting, missing out on extra time at work, etc.
Most of the information I could have found with a little research online or even in a book.
Sure, not all courses are like this, but a majority are.

ronmcdon
07-08-2011, 11:25 AM
There are professions out there that require formal training.
I wouldn't want to go to a doctor who was 'self-taught', but to each and their own.

ZenkiKid
07-08-2011, 11:26 AM
Update:

So I have posted a couple times in this thread and a little over a month after graduating here has what happened to me:

-On the verge of possibly being laid off from my current job. San Diego County thinks that it would be a bright idea if they cut even more money on top of what they already cut, yet they still expect us to churn out the same amount of revenue. I may be out of a job by the end of next month if things indeed do turn out for the worst.

-Applied to 10+ entry level positions. 2 out of those 10 positions I should have in the bag at the very least because of connections I have. The other 8 I am still very confident in because of the amount of field experience I already have on top of my degree.

So all thats left for me is to play the waiting game.

WISH ONE
07-08-2011, 11:42 AM
There are professions out there that require formal training.
I wouldn't want to go to a doctor who was 'self-taught', but to each and their own.

I completely understand this, but not everyone is going to school to be doctors.
Same idea goes for many other professions, the more technical types.
I'm in that boat right now, If I had degree in ME I could be an engineer at my company. This is the exact reason I am contemplating going back to school, but then again is it worth the time invested, and chances are ill probably land the engineering job in a few years if work for it.
Bottom line is I don't want to work for someone forever, the degree or the current career I chose is just a vessel to realize my future plans.

bb4_96
07-22-2011, 05:13 AM
^It depends on what type of engineering you are doing. I work at a company where we are all designated design engineers. Most people I work with don't even have 4 year degrees. But it was also a long road to get here for them. Most of them spent 10+ years in the shop sweating over an NC machine and on top of that had to make time for overtime and night school for a two year degree. I'd say they earned this position. I on the otherhand went to school, graduated, and walked right in the door. The thing is this, if the doors closed tomorrow I would have another job of equal pay in a week, my coworkers...

Thats all well and good but it depends on the level of engineering involved as to whether or not a hard working self taught person could pull it off. There are many calculations that I honestly wouldn't expect hard working anyone to know or be able to learn without a formal education. Or if you were going to go through all the trouble to learn it why the fuck not shell out a couple dollars to invest in your intellect. If you can do a mechanical engineers job without formal training it probably isn't mechanical engineering. I wonder what it is people think that engineering students do all day.

I know alot of people who worked really hard and went a long way in life. I admire it. But it wasn't for me. I don't like to travel for work, Don't want to be reliant on my body, don't want to be reliant on tenure, don't want to be reliant on networking. My uncle was ranting and raving about how he made so much of himself the other day without college. The fact of the matter is if his dad's firm went tits up he'd be out on the street.

College isn't required but if your going to get a degree that makes sense it's good insurance.

duffman1278
07-22-2011, 06:39 PM
^It depends on what type of engineering you are doing. I work at a company where we are all designated design engineers. Most people I work with don't even have 4 year degrees. But it was also a long road to get here for them. Most of them spent 10+ years in the shop sweating over an NC machine and on top of that had to make time for overtime and night school for a two year degree. I'd say they earned this position. I on the otherhand went to school, graduated, and walked right in the door. The thing is this, if the doors closed tomorrow I would have another job of equal pay in a week, my coworkers...

Thats all well and good but it depends on the level of engineering involved as to whether or not a hard working self taught person could pull it off. There are many calculations that I honestly wouldn't expect hard working anyone to know or be able to learn without a formal education. Or if you were going to go through all the trouble to learn it why the fuck not shell out a couple dollars to invest in your intellect. If you can do a mechanical engineers job without formal training it probably isn't mechanical engineering. I wonder what it is people think that engineering students do all day.

I know alot of people who worked really hard and went a long way in life. I admire it. But it wasn't for me. I don't like to travel for work, Don't want to be reliant on my body, don't want to be reliant on tenure, don't want to be reliant on networking. My uncle was ranting and raving about how he made so much of himself the other day without college. The fact of the matter is if his dad's firm went tits up he'd be out on the street.

College isn't required but if your going to get a degree that makes sense it's good insurance.

Couldn't have said it better myself. There's a vast amount of information that engineering students learn and which is usually just the fundamentals yet there are things most shop workers wouldn't be able to learn on their own from working extra hard at the shop.

The degree is what you need to do the REAL engineering work. Time studies and management isn't really technical engineering, plenty of people can do that. Hell, from what I've seen and done stuff dealing with overall production and plant production line studies can be done by interns with a little bit of training. But real calculations, studies, analysis, reports, etc can't just be taught to anyone.