PDA

View Full Version : I'm thinking about moving to Japan... help

BradGriffith1
03-11-2011, 12:37 AM
So I want to experience Japan from a Tokyo residents perspective, get a better insight on the culture and lifestyle for a year. I want to take some Japanese launguage classes while I'm there for the year, learn as much as I can. What I want to know is how hard it would be for me there while I speak english primarily for the beginning? And how common it is to find english speaking Japanese there. That and any other insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

-Brad

SocalCirca
03-11-2011, 01:58 AM
tsunamis happen there

A31CEFIRO
03-11-2011, 02:08 AM
You have to have some sort of working visa or student visa. They are not easy to get. You cant just move here because you feel like it. Just a heads up. Good luck.

yokotas13
03-11-2011, 02:40 AM
lol at this thread

BradGriffith1
03-11-2011, 03:49 AM
You have to have some sort of working visa or student visa. They are not easy to get. You cant just move here because you feel like it. Just a heads up. Good luck.

I'm studying abroad, already done... I have all that figured out and I'm almost ready. It's just a simple question on the density of english speaking Japanese that I wanted an answer on from english speaking americans that have already done what I plan on doing.

MisawaJason
03-11-2011, 04:40 AM
you can always hit up roppongi and have the islanders who try to drag you to their bars talk to you. They speak plenty of english haha

chinabean
03-11-2011, 04:43 AM
^it's pretty hard to learn Japanese as well as reading/writing and it takes longer than a year to learn unless you're gifted or something lol, I plan on moving there eventually after I finish my degree but after I complete some JLPT's as well to help me get hired, It'll depend on where you're staying as to how many people would be able to communicate fluently with you in Japanese like Tokyo instead of other smaller city/towns. If that helped.

buri_chan
03-11-2011, 06:01 AM
I live here and I am not military. You can PM me if you have any specific questions.

Don't come tonight though it sucks right now :/

SocalCirca
03-11-2011, 06:04 AM
How you holding up man?

buri_chan
03-11-2011, 06:08 AM
I can't complain, nothing to serious compared to other areas. Just had the scariest day of my life thats all lol

SocalCirca
03-11-2011, 06:09 AM
Glad your good man. I`m trying to contact my friends family in Hawaii man. They expect something over there.

buri_chan
03-11-2011, 06:11 AM
Yea I pray its nothing too big, good luck man

TerrySilysacks
03-12-2011, 12:15 AM
my harts gos out too your people.

Toi
03-13-2011, 06:41 AM
The US news reporting on the Tokyo area needs to be kicked in the NUTS......That is all.....We are still getting aftershocks, Sendai airport is sunk and I won't even comment on the rest......

Tokyo got some scratches and the news is reporting on delays UH HELLOOOOOO

dino6192
03-15-2011, 04:11 PM
I'm studying abroad, already done... I have all that figured out and I'm almost ready. It's just a simple question on the density of english speaking Japanese that I wanted an answer on from english speaking americans that have already done what I plan on doing.
just like any other major city in the world, you will be able to find plenty of people that speak english.
If your on a student visa they have alot of rules as far as work goes. so bring alot of money with you.
this place isnt cheap.

K_style
03-16-2011, 02:55 PM
lol at this thread

So I did...

Why don't you visit there first before you even "think" about moving there...

There is Native English speaker recruiters all over for 1 year or longer contractor..
that might be good way to go.

You might not ended up in Tokyo but hell... why not?

LOUD240
03-16-2011, 08:50 PM
tsunamis happen there
Yes . yes they do.............

snappy
03-17-2011, 12:09 AM
If you do decide to go, can I visit?

Feast Japan
03-17-2011, 03:10 AM
Given Japan recovers from all this recent trouble, there could very well be a large demand for ESL teachers. Many have left this week leaving the schools stranded. And with so much fear in the media many will not want to come back.

My best advice for you is to take some type of TESOL certificate, have your BA and you will be set for finding a job. Though I would steer clear away of the large corporate schools (NOVA, GABA, Shanes's etc.). They tend to be the worse to work for as many say. Try and get into either a smaller privately run school or jump on the ALT train if such still exists.

I currently run my own company (auto parts / car export), but also volunteer at a large Korean ESL school in Takadanobaba, Tokyo on weekends. I do it because its a lot of fun and opens one up. Being choked up in my office all week drives me nuts.

Best of luck to you! PM if you have any questions.

ChaserAero
03-17-2011, 08:52 AM
The VISA isn't an issue as you mentioned you've done abroad. I did the same, but in Australia. I say go for it, but to be honest I would wait a little while. It's a huge jump, but the best way to learn a language and culture is to be thrown into it.

My cousin did it to learn Spanish and Chinese. She's fluent now.

LuckyRPS13
03-17-2011, 02:00 PM
this is something my wife would love for us as a family to do. but she would want to go to Osaka or Okinawa, not sure which. that is where her parents MADE her lol. They rotated back before she was born, so she always has wanted to go. me i am in for the car parts. me and fedex/ups will be good friends if i went.

Craig Jr
03-19-2011, 05:09 PM
i wouldnt do this any time in the near future!

s14j
03-23-2011, 04:23 PM
i would also say you visit.
then think about moving.
just my 2 cents.

buri_chan
03-23-2011, 04:58 PM
I moved here without ever visiting before, I knew I wanted to back in high school and waited all the way until I finished college. I moved to Japan just a few months later and have been here going on my 3rd year now. Honestly most schools don't want you speaking any English while you are teaching so don't worry if that is the route you choose to go. I spoke little to no Japanese when I first moved here. There are plenty of Japanese who can speak English, but not everyone, that's for sure. Speaking just basic Japanese would help you out a ton. It may be best to visit, but visiting a country and living in one are completely different, believe me. Just saying though, just because you haven't been there before don't let it discourage you. A year or so really isn't a long time, most people who really don't like it still don't have a problem staying the full year.

pos_14
04-11-2011, 06:41 AM
i been here 2 1/2 years and love it. people are polite, food is awesome, girls are beautiful and the cars are cheap. i owned a sti (gc8), jzx100 chaser tourer v, and a silvia that i currently own. by far my favorite was the chaser but drifting that big bitch wasnt easy and ate a tree. but all in all i have a cool story about how i wrecked a my dream car in japan drifting like a tard.