PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on very different KA coil-on-plug set-up

Pirate_Freder
04-30-2010, 10:58 PM
I had a great idea several minutes ago for a KA24DE coil-on-plug set-up, but as I sat here thinking about it I now have my doubts(especially having never worked with coil packs).

So I am thinking that you could lower the output of the distributor and run wires from each port on it to the corresponding coil packs as switch wires. This would simply tell the coils to release the power. That is an internal function right? Or do they rely on separate relays?

My concern though, is as to whether or not the coils need a signal to charge at a particular time or if they can just have constant power and charge as soon as they drain. Also would the ignitor chip freak/ecu freak being that the chip is doing absolutely nothing(at least in my thinking thus far)?

Let me know what you think. Would rock if this would work so I could go coil-on-plug without having to buy a standalone etc.

EDIT: I just found a pick of S14 SR coils and I see only three wires to each so they should be: Constant Power, Ground, and Switched.....right?

GSXRJJordan
05-01-2010, 12:14 AM
Coil on plug is awesome. There's a reason it's replaced distributors in just about every new OEM application, and most performance ones. Reliable, big sparks with no wear.

I'd use LS1 coilpacks (find a set of 8 for about $100) or LS-series truck coilpacks (most desirable ones have the heat sink on them). They use a positive, ground, low reference (should technically be grounded with the ECU) and a low-trigger (goes to ground to charge the coil for a few milliseconds, aka dwell time, then goes back high to fire).

Using the distributor wouldn't work. I don't know whether the stock ECU can fire coils, I would guess not (although SR's can)... I'm thinking standalone would be the way to go here.

Pirate_Freder
05-01-2010, 12:56 AM
I will most likely go standalone eventually but I was planning on using a Nistune at least for the time being.

I did see the coils with 4-5 wires like that and I figured they would never work but what about the SR ones or others with 3 wires? are they not just: constant positive, ground, and switch?

GSXRJJordan
05-01-2010, 02:01 PM
I will most likely go standalone eventually but I was planning on using a Nistune at least for the time being.

I did see the coils with 4-5 wires like that and I figured they would never work but what about the SR ones or others with 3 wires? are they not just: constant positive, ground, and switch?

Nistune may or may not support coil on plug. Check it out though!

SR wiring would be just like the LSx coils, constant 12V, ground, and a low trigger. If you use S14 SR coils, you'd have to use a SR/Q45/RB/VQ igniter chip as well.

Ali 556
05-01-2010, 02:53 PM
kingblend did it on his KA-t and on his 2JZ-GE (N/A 2JZ) check ka-t.org andyou will find it...you need AEM EMS tho

Pirate_Freder
05-01-2010, 05:57 PM
Hmm, yeah, I know you can do it with an ems and supposedly with an sr ecu. I guess I can't get them early lol. Definitely checking for nistunr support rathing than spending $1000 + on an ems. I really wish FR Sport would hurry up and release their Power FC KA conversion.