PDA

View Full Version : Lowering srpings V.S. Coilovers

Big_Balls_JC_S13
01-26-2010, 12:35 PM
I was wondering what is a good set of springs to pick up. I am currently reading up on Tanabe DF210 springs and Tanabe GF210 springs. I only look this up because I am not racing and I don't have a motor swap, but I will in the future go towards coilovers. As for now I just need some input or is it good just to go straight for coilovers. If so then I am in a battle with either Tien's or Tanabe's. Well let me get your guys input on the subject.

-It isn't so bad to spend less then a $1000 LOL!:bowdown:

Xbroke_kidX
01-26-2010, 12:37 PM
You dont need to "race" your car or have a motor swap to have coilovers. Coilovers can ride just as nice as springs and shocks, given you buy the right coilovers.

Say no to shitty brands.

ILoveMyRHS13
01-26-2010, 12:38 PM
Everyone here is going to tell you to go to straight to coilovers. There's no point in spending $200ish lowering springs then blowing your stock suspension then spending another $800+ on coilovers.

Big_Balls_JC_S13
01-26-2010, 12:39 PM
thanks for the input...

jdm2191
01-26-2010, 04:19 PM
i rolled on springs for long time (a set of espelirs & a set of teins) & i was happy with them no Complaints the ride was perfect!

but i got to a point were i wanted to be lower & handle better so i wanted to upgrade to coilovers but it's all on you...

Big_Balls_JC_S13
01-26-2010, 05:54 PM
Thanks jdm2191 that's is the kind of input I was looking for thanks appreciate it...

I LUV MY S13
01-26-2010, 06:03 PM
springs are nice for daily use, i had tein spring on kyb struts...then i went tein coilovers, very comfortable and low, its just rough on potholes and other shit on the road which you should avoid anyways

Future240
01-26-2010, 06:30 PM
Springs will just lower your car, and make the ride more comfortable if your springs are worn out already.

Depending on what type you get coil-overs can do the same, but add the benefit of going lower and providing the stiffness needed when taking corners, hard driving etc.

As stated before after you get springs you will more than likely want coils one day so I would just save up and get some coils. Check out the threads in chat about coils to see which ones seem to be more to what you want.

JayDee M Rolly
01-26-2010, 06:32 PM
if you can find springs for REALLY REALLY cheap (i picked my espelirs up for 30) then go for it, otherwise if you're gonna buy em new might as well save up for coils.

ZX88
01-26-2010, 06:36 PM
coilovers or springs....

did you log onto the wrong forum.

there is a very clear answer to this.

chituntang
01-26-2010, 06:50 PM
Just went form RSR springs with KYB AGX on my S14 to Function and Form Coilovers.

The question you need to ask yourself is - how low will the vehicle be? I was happy with just lowering springs on my S14 until I get some 18's. It looked pretty bad. And the other things is that you will end up spending extra amount of money on coilovers to do it right, as you need to get adjustable arms, or RUCA to begin with.

So, if you have big plans now, go all out with arms and coilover. If not, still go with coilover cause your plan will grow bigger and bigger and you will have big, wide wheels that need the useage of coilover and aftermarket arms. If you are going for a 100% stock look, then go with just lowering springs.

s14_driver
01-26-2010, 07:15 PM
i had eibach springs with monroe struts and they rode good and had pretty good handleing
but now i got tein coils and i love the that their stiffer, the turning is better, and lower

pignose4life
01-26-2010, 07:22 PM
if the area you live in or commute to everyday has extremely shitty roads get shocks and struts, but if you dont deal with crazy roads to much I'd say just do it right the first time and get a decent set of coils. I recently just transferred over from kybs and tein springs to silkroad coilovers and wow i dont know why i didnt buy some before haha. i can literally lower my car to the point where my frame is touching lol but thats just retarted. Also the handling on the s14 is on point and theres zero body roll. So just buy some coilovers /end of thread.

Big_Balls_JC_S13
01-27-2010, 03:53 AM
MAN!!! Oh it's clear what should be picked and all, but I just want to hear peoples input on the subject...you know like experiences and such from people who have tried Coilovers and Springs. Thank you all you are helping out greatly with me and my decision.

ayuaddict
01-27-2010, 05:02 AM
Coilovers will ride better than springs on stock or aftermarket struts.
Coilovers will last longer than springs on stock or aftermarket struts.
Coilovers will perform better than springs on stock or aftermarket struts.
Coilovers are only slightly more expensive than springs on decent aftermarket struts.

With the availability of affordable coilovers, there is really no reason to get springs or a strut spring combo, the cost to benefit ratio is just so much better with buying coilovers, especially after considering the price difference.

The only reason i would ever run aftermarket springs on stock or aftermarket struts would be if i got them for free and was stuck on a remote island with nothing to do.

Max_PSi
01-27-2010, 07:21 AM
My S14 has coils, the vert I picked up a few months back has spring and shock combo.

I guess I can't complain because I get the best of both worlds.

The vert drives as smooth as glass with decent handling characteristics. Still need sways to really take care of the body roll, but I like the ride. It has Eibach Pro-kit and KYB AGX's on it.

The S14 has Tein coils and is much more stiff obviously, with better road feel and a more confident ride in the twisties. I have the coils on a stiff setting also.

I take it from your info that your new to S-chassis cars, and would suggest like most ppl have here already, to go with coils if you really want to bring out the handling of the car. You can do as much research as you want on different springs/shock combo's. I still think the cost isn't worth what you get in return, vs. just going with coils.

kalypso123
01-27-2010, 09:02 AM
koni yellows and GC sleeves are cool also... i guess

ro240sx
01-27-2010, 09:56 AM
i want coilovers but at the moment i ride on tokiko blues with tein springs...they are comfortable but i would say go for coilovers

domo dorigato
01-27-2010, 10:10 AM
right now i'm on springs, i got them hella cheap. but i want coilovers. if you have the money... just go straight to coilovers. sooner or later you'll want to go lower. lol my ride ain't low enough for me.

ericcastro
01-27-2010, 10:14 AM
I loved my Spring shock combo.
I had it for almost 3 years, and daily, drifted and griped on em.
Sold em for $150ish or $200.
Had bought them for $300.

i had the KYB adjustable shocks/struts.
and RSR hard Springs.
I bought the set up used off a guy named Jon.
He works in a shop, and Autocrosses and drifts.
Hes been doing it for a LONG time, so the combo was well put together and really ran well.

I have GodSpeed coil overs now and I love em.
I wasnt gonna $1000 on a set of coil overs, and have nothing else suspention done.
So I went with a cheaper brand, and got coils, front and rear sway bars, ruca and some other stuff for $1000 :)
works for me, others will hate.
But I track my car alot more then most preachers on here, just sayin.......

ZenkiKid
01-27-2010, 10:44 AM
and if you dont take your coils beyond their limits then they will probly last you as long as you own the car.

Mr. Goodkat
01-28-2010, 09:22 AM
I think you should spend the money and get coilovers, you'll be more happy with them. Just make sure you buy the right ones depending on how comfortable you like to ride. I'm riding on Tein Flex's. Although they cost me a grip, I have no regrets.

Hyrulianlink15
01-28-2010, 09:33 AM
i would say just save up the money suck it up and go buy some decent coils, thats what im doing atm..im looking at the PBM coils they are only 1k and everything you need...also i heard they ride really nice to perfect for the daily drifter

Taniguchi_Is_#1
01-28-2010, 09:37 AM
DD on coilovers sucks. period. i liked my GF210+GR2 setup way back in the day. if you don't care about how many oil pans you can dent or how fucked up you can make your TC rod mounts, springs and shocks are fine. if you want to get coilovers in the future, sell them for a few hundred dollars and then buy coils. easy.

koukie180
01-28-2010, 11:05 AM
I have brand new Espelir springs for sale if you are interested. They are not just lowering springs. They can be used as a race setup with koni sport yellows. Second stiffest spring rate on the market.

http://zilvia.net/f/sale-items/300498-espelir-racing-lowering-springs-95-98-s14-240sx.html

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/8923/espelir.jpg

koukie180
01-28-2010, 11:13 AM
For what it's worth, DECIDE on what you want to do with the car in the future.

For drifting only and no daily driving, I would recommend coil overs. Stiff and direct response.

If you want to drive on the streets with coil over, use big profile tires on 15's (ex. 205/60R15). Much less stiffer and still feel nimble.

If you want all around performance and comfort for daily driving, autoX, time attack, and some drifting. Then springs with Koni shock absorbers are the way to go.

On my S13 race car, I use apexi coilovers for drifting only. If I must use it on the streets, I put on 205/60R15

On my Kouki S14, I only use it for daily driving and autox, so it has RSR Race Springs w/ Koni Sport Yellows.

k3fallout
01-28-2010, 03:10 PM
How do you like the Koni/RSR combo? I've been thinking about these or coils lately.

CNDC
01-29-2010, 10:00 AM
the koni/rsr combo is very good. However, if your looking to go low its not for you.

The koni's are so smooth you seriously never feel bumps or cracks on the road. RSR Springs are kinda soft though put still steering is very responsive and the car is pretty predictable. I'd say if you want a stiffer ride go with Ground Controls instead of RSR's.

k3fallout
01-29-2010, 01:33 PM
Thanks for your response. I'm not trying to get super slammed. I just want to tuck tire a little or close the wheel gap as much as possible. I'm sure both you and I know how bad the roads in the bay area can be, so I'm constantly having second thoughts about suspension. This may be up my alley.

landins13
01-29-2010, 01:53 PM
i rode on springs for a while with a good set of kyb adjustable dampeners but the ride always seemed bouncier than i wanted when id go down bumpy roads. i just got a set of powered by max coils, i havent driven on them yet on account of snow but ive heard great things

koukie180
01-29-2010, 01:54 PM
I've been to the bay area and those roads are like the bumpy roads in Santa Ana. I will say that coilovers will not be your friend on the streets. The Tein FLEX would be an exception. Their front spring rates are either 7K or 6K depending on S13 or S14.

Koni/RSR combo is indeed a great combo. Never have to worry about passengers being uncomfortable or head bouncing. The ride is smooth and responsive.

koukie180
01-29-2010, 01:56 PM
Keep in mind that the RSR springs are the stiffest and among the lowest drop you can get for performance springs.

Estimated Front Drop - 35mm(1.4in)
Estimated Rear Drop - 25mm(1.0in)
Front Spring Rate - 5.00kg(279lbs)
Rear Spring Rate - 4.20kg(235lbs)

k3fallout
01-29-2010, 02:14 PM
Thanks for the advice koukie. I figured if I wanted to go as stiff as Ground Control, then I'd might as well just go for coils(though the same could be said for any spring/shock combo for that matter). The only potential road "friendly" coilovers I've read about so far are the Stance LX/GR+ Pro, Tein Flex, Dmax, and Cusco. The people who bought them for the most part said that they road nicely or like stock on the softest settings, but it may be untrue with the roads around here.

wiggafly808
01-29-2010, 05:37 PM
I would say save for coilovers..
I had tein drop springs with kyb gr-2s because i found them fairly cheap ($200), but upgraded to coilovers soon after.

Wait for a good deal on coils.
I found tein ha's for $350ish, so i bought those, and the ride quality was about the same.

Somebody offered me more than i paid for them, so i sold them, got some tein hr's for around $350 as well.

If you want cheap stiff coils, id go for megans. I know everyone here bashes them, but ive had them on my car and a bunch of my friends have them with no complaints, so based on my experience id go for it.

If you want a better ride quality, spend more and get some higher up brands

Gordo714
02-01-2010, 09:48 PM
i got a good one..
started out stock supension
went to eibach springs
blew out the stock shocks
got some kyb shocks and fresh eibachs from a trade...
ride was smooth but the ride height sucked
so i cut my springs like an idiot that lasted a couple of months
now im on blown shocks and cut springs = no supension = fail

moral of the story i should have saved up from the begging to get some coil overs ...

advise..save up its worth it..dont cut springs for a lower ride :)

whiterps13
02-01-2010, 10:25 PM
I dont know if its been mentioned, because I didnt bother reading more than 10 posts down.
But, coilovers are also much easier to install than springs and shocks. Since they come preassembled, theres no need to use a spring compressor during installation.
A small detail, but yet another reason to choose coilovers.

JAYTRON
02-02-2010, 12:09 AM
OP: I see that you reside basically where I do. I use to live in Sac and still go to visit but now live in San Jose and I daily with coilovers ~50 miles a day.

Once you memorize streets and how to drive a lowered car you'll eventually get the hang of it.

The ONLY regret I have is that I have lower back problems...lol

No bueno

Enna
02-02-2010, 12:27 AM
I had Tein S.Tech springs and KYB-GR2 shocks on my S14. Came with the car, so no complaints there. It was better than stock for sure, but I wanted and needed coils so much more.

I have Tein Super Drift's now, its just so much better. They have great dampening adjustability and range for height. I had to pick up adjustable arms with it however. If you don't want to go cheap then I say get the tein coils. You wont regret it but make sure you do some research and see which ones are best for you.

jay pee
02-09-2010, 09:32 AM
If your on a budget n r just daily driving go ahead n put springs but if u got bigger plans the go coilivers... Can't go wrong there are plenty coilovers for good prices.

Ceepo
02-09-2010, 11:06 AM
Is it even a comparison, coilsover are going to do way better then strut spring combo, but it depends on your budget, coilovers will make your ride a little more harsh but you get used to it after a while...

jay pee
02-09-2010, 11:47 AM
just get sum megan streets coilovers like 800 bucks new n u can find so used like 4-5 hundred bucks n they get the job done for a good price

brunswick240
02-09-2010, 12:43 PM
even if you dont want your ride "slammed" (which i dont know why you wouldnt...) you can still have a nice drop on coilovers with out modifications to the body (pull/roll/wire tuck). coilovers are going to be the next best thing to an engine swap, plus youre automatically cooler if you say you have coilovers than springs. let the honduh and mustang boys get springs we rock coilovers :D

Caveit
02-09-2010, 05:26 PM
My car came with lowering springs when I bought it and it still rides pretty nice and handles well. I'd still like to get coilovers so I can go lower, maximum performance, and so I can adjust them. It's a pretty obvious choice. I'd say stick it out for another few weeks and get coilovers instead, you'll be a lot more satisfied.

JDMS13Louie
03-15-2010, 10:16 PM
I'm gonna pick up a set of Tein S. Tech springs next week anyone have experience with these? My car is all stock except for the kakimoto exhaust and Exedy stage 1 clutch. oh btw it's a S13. I was a Honda guy and my friend convinced me to make the switch and I'm already loving my car. Any other info on where I could start would be great as well.

codyace
03-15-2010, 10:19 PM
A quality spring/strut combo will handle better, and ride nicer than a cheap coilover -- but it won't go 'very' low.

If you're looking for a nice cheap coilover, I suggest the Megan Racing Street series. Just remember to back off the preload, and you'll be good to go. I used the MR Streets for a year, and had 4 track days on them, without any major complaints. Great bargain coilover.

codyace
03-15-2010, 10:24 PM
A quality spring/strut combo will handle better, and ride nicer than a cheap coilover -- but it won't go 'very' low.

If you're looking for a nice cheap coilover, I suggest the Megan Racing Street series. Just remember to back off the preload, and you'll be good to go. I used the MR Streets for a year, and had 4 track days on them, without any major complaints. Great bargain coilover.

CNDC
03-15-2010, 11:14 PM
^Agreed. Ive found that the valving in the damper or the shock is everything.