PDA

View Full Version : getaway with illegal skyline

ebgt2003
05-20-2003, 04:29 PM
whats up... im wondering how hard it would be to get away with driving a skyline on the street that's not registered...do u think most cops would notice that they dont make that car here...just another one of my wierd thought's...

eddie

240silvia
05-20-2003, 04:33 PM
All depends on where you live. I think that places like Cali, and anf Flordia you might have a problem. But here in Wilmington, I don't think it would matter. Also depends on rater or not you act like a jacka** behind the wheel.

KiDyNomiTe
05-20-2003, 04:36 PM
depends on a lot of things.

Depends where you live, who the cops are, if they know anything about cars, if they notice your on the wrong side of the street...

The chances of you getting away with it are slim, also due to the fact that you will not keep it stock, and cops don't really like modded cars.

Your best bet is talk to people who have skylines (legal or not), see if they get pulled over for driving it.

Either way I wouldnt do it, just bend over and take it like a man (err a woman, or a man in jail :eek: ):p

Dousan_PG
05-20-2003, 04:39 PM
nah i dont agree
maybe having a skyline in a place like wilmington will attract MORE suspension due to its "i dont know what it is" mentality from an officer.

works both ways.
either way its illegal and prepare to suffer the consequences!

rash
05-20-2003, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by dousan36
"i dont know what it is" mentality from an officer.

Yeah thats right ,cuz its not comman to see a car with right drive.

RanciD
05-20-2003, 04:52 PM
I wouldn't think in a place outside of California or somewhere similar the car itself would attract too much attention because of all stupid looking Civics and stuff, but the fact that it's right hand drive would probably scream out "illegal" to the cops.. especially cause your plates, emissions stickers, etc. will be non-existant or illegal. If you have to have a Skyline in the US then br prepared to dish out absolutely ridiculous amounts of money to Motorex for one.

One thing you could LEGALLY do, which would also make you really popular is to buy an Accord and do a JDM tyte Skyline conversion on it like that one that was on Ebay or whatever. That thing was mad tight yo. :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, make sure not to granny shift and keep double clutching like you should be.

Fireball240SX
05-20-2003, 05:20 PM
Well not the most legal thing to do but change the vins from a 240SX onto the Skyline and register it as a 240SX. I know when Skylines do come over they end up getting registered at 240SX's anyway from what i've heard. but if i had the cash thats what i'd do :D

Tubed4evr
05-20-2003, 06:17 PM
Felony perhaps?

Ryan

RanciD
05-20-2003, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by Tubed4evr
Felony perhaps?

Ryan

The way you say that makes it sound like it would just be one felony...

:D

ebgt2003
05-20-2003, 07:11 PM
i forgot to add that i would like to do a left hand conversion...i can drive it the way it is...but i feel more comfortable with left hand drive... oh add i was laughing my *** of today...i saw an old mail truck with right hand drive...it looks like it came from australia or something...but i'm not sure..

AREITU
05-20-2003, 07:15 PM
I think you can register the car as a kit car since it has no VIN number. You'd be limited as to how many miles you could drive in a year.

Motorex recently lost their exclusivity of skyline importation. As far as I know, customs will do the conversion for you...

Dousan_PG
05-20-2003, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by ebgt2003
i forgot to add that i would like to do a left hand conversion...i can drive it the way it is

haha
one big work

DREAMER

240fluke
05-20-2003, 08:15 PM
Motorex....to my knowledge.....is the only company importing LEGAL Skylines into the United States. Other companies out there are importing, but these are not fully legal or legitimate to drive on the streets as a regular car with the emissions equipment and registration and whatever else.

So are you saying that there is someone else now LEGALIZING Skyines for use in the United States or just that there are others importing Skylines into the United States?

Tim '95 SE (totalled)

SimpleS14
05-20-2003, 08:19 PM
I remember someone did a LHD converion on a R33. The person used an Altima dashboard. I just wish I can find the picture.

AREITU
05-20-2003, 09:05 PM
A recent Modified magazine did a very very clean LHD conversion on his R33. The dash was cut in into pieces, reassembled and reupholstered. They even got the window wipers to go the right way.

boro240
05-20-2003, 09:16 PM
just wait till you crash into someone and police (and insurance) find out youre driving an illegal car.

KiDyNomiTe
05-20-2003, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by ebgt2003
i forgot to add that i would like to do a left hand conversion...i can drive it the way it is...but i feel more comfortable with left hand drive... oh add i was laughing my *** of today...i saw an old mail truck with right hand drive...it looks like it came from australia or something...but i'm not sure..

last time i checked all mail trucks are rhd

If you haven't noticed how most new houses have mailboxes on the street, with a rhd car, the mail man doesn't have to get out of the car to put the mail in.

UPS trucks are RHD I think to.

But there a re a few RHD cars out here, some Rolls Royces are, and some other old school cars are.

If your not willing to pay what motorex charges, I wouldn't bother getting one. I would want to get a R32 and run it on track only, thats easier to do than legalizing for streets.

Cuz the only reason you want a skyline is to show off (power, looks, the name etc.) So eventually your gonna crash it, or do something that will get the cops to pull you over, and then you'll be screwed.

Just build a trailor queen if you must have a skyline.

andrave
05-20-2003, 11:33 PM
I read an interview with a guy in cali who owned the R-33 featured in FF (one) and he said he gets pulled over everytime he drives somewhere, some cops know the car and want to ask him questions, apparently a lot see that its RHD and pull over to grill him about its legality.

where I live in WV people think my car is a mazda or a probe (or a corvette) but I'm still not even sure I would try for the non street legal car... you can't insure it, you can't register it, :-\ and its an expensive car that every car guy knows, everyone who has watched fast and furious knows, and anyone who has played gran turismo knows. thats a lot of people, and thats a lot of attention.

thx247
05-21-2003, 02:19 AM
motorex is still the ONLY company who can legally import skylines for use on city streets. Anyone can in theory import their own skyline legally for up to a year (if they are not citizens of the US apparently)

Otherwise, you can register it as a kit car or something like that, you can only drive it for 2000 miles each year.

And afaik, you could import your skyline and drive it solely on tracks, then you would just have to register it as an off road vehicle. I don't think it really matters what kinda car it is then.

Legal trouble if you get caught with a car thats not legal like...an imported skyline? Impound, possibly destroying the car. A big fine 2k+

aa87
05-21-2003, 05:49 AM
LHD conversion on R33, in United Arab Emirates.

http://toprpm.com/wallpapers/5-800.jpg

http://images.cardomain.com/member_img_a/255000-255999/255664_10_full.jpg

I think they screwed up the interrior with the yellow accents.

Fastback180
05-21-2003, 06:28 AM
Originally posted by dousan36
due to its "i dont know what it is" mentality from an officer.

"Uhhhhh? How can that be?"

KiDyNomiTe
05-21-2003, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by thx247

And afaik, you could import your skyline and drive it solely on tracks, then you would just have to register it as an off road vehicle. I don't think it really matters what kinda car it is then.

Legal trouble if you get caught with a car thats not legal like...an imported skyline? Impound, possibly destroying the car. A big fine 2k+

Ya J's garage is one of the best bets if you want to bring something as a race car, they send you the car fully prepped so it can be registered as a race car. They take out carpeting a/c and other things and then send them to you in a box/crate whatever it is. It is your duty to do what you want with it, you can put the stuff back in and drive it illegaly on the streets, or keep the stuff out and keep racing.

For the price of a skyline thru motorex you could do a lot, like get an m3 csl :D, oh that car looks so nice :D

AREITU
05-21-2003, 10:41 AM
DId you notice the R32 dash on that TopRPM car?

The wipers go the wrong way?

No quite the cleanest conversion I've seen...

NZO
05-21-2003, 11:57 AM
Fireball240SX: Skylines are registered as skylines

ebgt2003: All mailtrucks are RHD as far as I know, where did you see a LHD one?

AREITU and thx247: Kit cars have no mileage restrictions unless imposed by your insurer. Show cars on the otherhand do have mileage restrictions. Not like anyone checks it anyway...