PDA

View Full Version : question about FRP fenders

niSm095
10-06-2009, 09:11 PM
For those with FRP fenders, silvia, stock and otherwise...How tough/durable are they? I assume it's not necessary to reinforce the bolt holes along the door and with the bumper and all? I'm going to be picking up some of these soon and haven't dealt with these particular body panels in FRP before.

Also - I'm picking them up from Chaser aero, the sponser on here, if that helps..

karl wasabi
10-06-2009, 09:17 PM
Are you going to be hitting stuff a lot? If so, no they aren't very durable. If you never hit anything they'll last forever.

g6civcx
10-06-2009, 10:07 PM
How tough/durable are they?

In my experience, I prefer FRP because they are stronger than metal. When you hit metal, metal dents. When you hit FRP, FRP flexes and bounces back, and usually with no damage.

If you hit hard enough to break FRP, you can most likely repatch.

For these reasons, I run FRP fenders.

I assume it's not necessary to reinforce the bolt holes along the door and with the bumper and all?

You don't need anything more than a washer.

I'm picking them up from Chaser aero, the sponser on here, if that helps..

I assume you're dealing with Russ. I also buy from them.

niSm095
10-07-2009, 04:14 AM
I don't PLAN on hitting anything...

I hadn't contacted anyone from Chaser directly, is there a zilvia discount or something?

jhageman
10-07-2009, 05:48 AM
i just got rid of my version select fenders and id say for the last 3 years they have held up. i had a few cracks along outer edges which hug tire, but that was from when i had non dampening old JIC's...when i installed the Fortune's i set the dampening @ hardest and never bottomed out up front and still rode smooth. if you buy fenders go ahead and reinforce them on the inside with some fiberglass mat or horsehair stuff. :)

niSm095
10-08-2009, 04:26 AM
I thought about doing that as well. Good idea

g6civcx
10-08-2009, 06:09 AM
I don't PLAN on hitting anything...

No one ever plans on hitting anything. I'm just letting you know my experience.

I hadn't contacted anyone from Chaser directly, is there a zilvia discount or something?

Contact Russ/ChaserAero on here. He'll hook you up.

REALLY FASTback
10-08-2009, 06:13 AM
i have 20mm widebody frp front fenders on my car, and ive been to 2 drift events..going off track, hitting a few cones..tires rubbing, and it was yet to break on me..the only thing i hate, is the support it has. it makes my driver side bumper jiggle like crazy. i need to make a bracket or something to reinforce it. i can only imagine what it looks like on the freeway. but other than that, my fenders have taken a beating, and no signs of damage yet :) oh and FRP is HELLA durable

g6civcx
10-08-2009, 06:43 AM
the only thing i hate, is the support it has. it makes my driver side bumper jiggle like crazy. i need to make a bracket or something to reinforce it

You need to fabricate a reinforcement bracket to the body, especially in the front of the fenders where they meet the bumper.