PDA

View Full Version : problem with volts need help!

whitecrab
09-18-2009, 07:02 PM
ok first ill state the problem. as i drive the volts slowly drop. i have a tt that shows my volts. when i start the car the volts r 12.5 which is a lil low but ok. as i drive it slowly starts to drop .1 volts every like 5 minutes. im thinking its my fan. i have an autozone 16 inch fan and it blows like crazy. i had it wired str8 to a switch that i put in the car.the power for the fan came from thee horn and ground to the switch. now, with that set up the car ran fine volts were good until i turned the fan on. as soon as i turned the fan on the volts drop idle drops and my clock went out but it still ran, rough but still ran. also everytime i would come to a light the idle would drop low sometimes even turn the car off and it wouldnt start up again for a while. this would only happen if the fan was on, as soon as i turn them off everything back to normal. so i was thinking the fan was just drawing to many volts or amps.

after that i took the switch out and wired it to the acc. relay. now the fan is always on. at first i thought i fixed the problem because when i went to start the car the clock worked fine and volts went to 12.5, before it would be at like 12.0. but as i drive the car the volts still start to drop. i changed out the alternator and got a new battery. like i said before the volts drop so low that as i come to a light the car shuts off. after letting it sit for a few it would go back up. it turns back on after like 5 or 6 trys and me giving it gas.

im thinking its the fan but im not sure. anyinfo would help. another thing is, not sure is it matters but when i was removing the fan from the horn fuse i noticed that it was blown so i repaced it and the horn was stuck on. i got a nrg hub, quick release and nardi wheel so maybe the horn could be drawing the volts? im a lil lost. by the way its an sr not ka.