PDA

View Full Version : Cams, what degree to run

PAnut240
04-28-2003, 11:02 PM
Hey everyone,
Ok here is my question, I don't remember how to pick what kind of lift cams to chose for my SR. I've seen the different Degrees of cams, IE. 267, and 272. ect, but I've also seen these with different lift values, IE 10.5, 11.5 If someone could tell me what the heck these things mean a little clearer for me I would appreciate it greatly. I just dont remember which does which. Anyway, thanks in advance.
Jim

RBS14
04-29-2003, 04:34 PM
degree (272 etc.) = duration, how long the valve is open.

the 10.5 number is the lift, how far the cam pushes the valve down.

As for SR20 and all other turbo motors, you don't want too big of a lift or duration because it will delay spool up. I personally wouldn't go over a 264 degree duration and a 10.5mm lift for an SR20. Porting and polishing your head will help out way more. the two in conjunction make a Huge difference! Don't be fooled by words used like "mild" as refered to cams. unless you are always at 7 grand, you don't want a huge cam because you will lose a ton of torque. Even tho people say with some cams you don't need upgraded valve springs, they are a really good idea, basically a safety precaution. Oh yeah, get Rocker arm stoppers too, they'll undoubtedly save your valvetrain and therefore entire motor some day.

-Scott
(Juan Garamonde)

PAnut240
04-30-2003, 12:51 AM
Thanks RB, that helps alot. I am already geting a port/polish, alog with new valves, springs, and stoppers, lol in fact I'm ordering that stuff tomorrow. But thanks again.
Jim

RBS14
04-30-2003, 08:51 AM
No problem, glad i could be of assistance......haha

-Juan Garamonde

Foxcolt
04-30-2003, 09:24 AM
FYI: SR heads come with a 3 angle valve job from the factory. Gains have been minimal from porting and polishing.

RBS14
04-30-2003, 05:49 PM
Gains may be minimal but p&p will definately help, lookin at and feeling the ports on a SR head before and after is incredible. Its amazing how much casting marks and the casting process hurts air flow.

Steeles
05-01-2003, 09:09 AM
see I cant decide weather to go with 256 intake and 264 exhaust or to go up a notch to 264 in and 272 ex. Im thinking the bigger setup will maximize the flow from the Greddy intake mani... but the stock ex mani wont keep up. mmm research more is needed. decision to be made

(sorry I suddenly felt yoda inspired)