PDA

View Full Version : question about godspeed cage

tf_90s13
06-30-2009, 11:59 AM
has anyone tried the bolt in cage? for the s13. do they pass inspection on the track i know the site said it does, but who belives them.

s13boy89
06-30-2009, 12:39 PM
well buy it and find out lol

tf_90s13
06-30-2009, 03:24 PM
thats why im asking befor i get one

twistex
07-09-2009, 12:32 PM
I have been reading about this cage because a local track requires a cage now for drifting. The hooks of the cage seem super poor in quality. The mounting plates to the chassis are like beyond thin! The joints are all bassically bolted together in a way thats looks like it can flex and move.. I would much wrather have a slip fit with bolts or a fully welded in cage. There are also no side impact bars neer door, or crossbars on main hoop. Not to mention there is not even a harness bar. FAIL!!

Hillkill
07-11-2009, 05:43 PM
Depends on which track you go to... Ask the track first before you buy!

Lozer
08-01-2009, 12:12 AM
I contemplated that cage up until i saw it once you see how chinsy this shit is youll go buy some 1.75" tubing and bend your own.

150$ in tubing p.s. use DOM .02 i think and some practice with a good welder and bang u got a cage.

I wouldent trust my life to some crappy welds and bolts. stick with the solid tubeing and welds.

karl wasabi
08-01-2009, 03:13 AM
I've seen the Godspeed cage installed in an S13 and I have to say that I was impressed. It is a Cuso/Safety 21 replica. The A-pillar bars sit very close to the roof and therefore give you lots of head clearance.

From what I saw, I don't see why it wouldn't pass any local track event. You can always weld on door bars if your track requires door bars as well. I think the cages go for like $400, so you get what you pay for.

I would buy one. haha.

Ichi-Go
08-03-2009, 02:09 AM
I dont think cusco or safety 21 are any safer. They look better than "real" cages in my opinion and have more clearance next to your head than most "real" cages.

Also how is somebody supposed to just knock out a cage themselves. Some practice with a good welder means they would have access to a good welder which probably means they can weld already. Plus you cant bend these tubes with your arms or by standing on it propped against a bench you would need a legit bender.

To answer the question....

No its not "legal" for most racing. Yes you will probably be able to do most events with it. SCCA autox, local drift events, and hpde (depending). Probably wont pass tech at Nopi, Formula D, or nascar.

Ben G
08-03-2009, 12:22 PM
It is a Cuso/Safety 21 replica

the replica part is what i dont trust i dont know about you guys i would spend the money and get a real cage its your life your talking about on this one

BustedS13
08-03-2009, 12:25 PM
I dont think cusco or safety 21 are any safer. They look better than "real" cages in my opinion and have more clearance next to your head than most "real" cages.

style points are all that matters
in 240 world

Lozer
08-03-2009, 01:37 PM
seriously tho its safety first or safety last. if not first then it will be the last thing you think about before SPLAT. anything that can bend when a car is rolling (you never know when your going to snap something) WILL bend when a car is rolling so when i look at those niffty bolt together connectors i think WOW thats gonna suck when it bends or pops off.

Nothing beats style like a closed casket. LOL

seriously tho theres 3 things you dont skimp or go half asses on BRAKES, STEERING AND SAFETY.

I wonder why the tech inspector wouldent let me use my bicycle helmut?????

karl wasabi
08-03-2009, 01:44 PM
the replica part is what i dont trust i dont know about you guys i would spend the money and get a real cage its your life your talking about on this one

Well what kind of events are you planning on doing? If you are doing local drift events and just want to tandem, but don't have a cage, then Godspeed will do just fine.

If you are looking for a cage to save your life then why are you even considering Godspeed? The only reason why I would get a Godspeed cage is because AMERICA has a tight asshole about "no cage, no tandem" and a Godspeed cage will pass at all the local events that I go to. That's my 2 cents...

Brian
08-03-2009, 01:46 PM
seriously tho its safety first or safety last. if not first then it will be the last thing you think about before SPLAT. anything that can bend when a car is rolling (you never know when your going to snap something) WILL bend when a car is rolling so when i look at those niffty bolt together connectors i think WOW thats gonna suck when it bends or pops off.

seriously tho theres 3 things you dont skimp or go half asses on BRAKES, STEERING AND SAFETY.

IF

If is the key word.

WHEN is not the key word.

BustedS13
08-03-2009, 01:48 PM

who said anything about helmets or tracks brah
gonna get my full roll cage with a pillar bars, gonna paint it dayglo pink so everybody can see. no padding, padding just covers the style.
so maybe my head explodes when i get in a crash on the street, whatever
you american eagle boot cut jeans types wouldn't understand

karl wasabi
08-03-2009, 01:52 PM
IF

If is the key word.

WHEN is not the key word.

Keywords are very important...

who said anything about helmets or tracks brah
gonna get my full roll cage with a pillar bars, gonna paint it dayglo pink so everybody can see. no padding, padding just covers the style.
so maybe my head explodes when i get in a crash on the street, whatever
you american eagle boot cut jeans types wouldn't understand

:l101: :l101: :rawk: :rawk:

Ichi-Go
08-03-2009, 07:01 PM
I think any cage is better than none. These cages look rad and fit pretty well (no dash cutting). Get it if you want to do local events.

Shadowhunter
08-04-2009, 03:40 PM
There is a reason roll cages are welded together and not bolted together. It's called roll cage for a reason,it's supposed to stay together in a roll over, when you roll over the weak points are all over that 'cage' the weight and velocity at which the car is rolling over will snap the tubing and probably hurt you more than if you were in a car without a 'cage'. If you want a trailer queen show car then by all means go with one of these cages, but if you plan on racing or streeting this car I mean cmon it should be common sense that this kind of garbage will not work well in any type of accident situation.

Flicktitty
08-04-2009, 03:44 PM
these cages are what like $400+ New? Why not look for a used Cusco/Safey 21 cage that has been PROVEN to work for 500-800? were talking safety here.

Brian
08-04-2009, 05:05 PM
There is a reason roll cages are welded together and not bolted together. It's called roll cage for a reason,it's supposed to stay together in a roll over, when you roll over the weak points are all over that 'cage' the weight and velocity at which the car is rolling over will snap the tubing and probably hurt you more than if you were in a car without a 'cage'. If you want a trailer queen show car then by all means go with one of these cages, but if you plan on racing or streeting this car I mean cmon it should be common sense that this kind of garbage will not work well in any type of accident situation.

Let me know when you want to stick your foot in your mouth.

Do you want me to bring up the multiple threads with bolt in cage crashes?
I've been there and seen it FIRST HAND. I speak from experience. You speak from nonsense.

Knock it off with the bullshit. YOU contribute to the problem of misinformation.

BustedS13
08-04-2009, 06:19 PM

I've been there and seen it FIRST HAND. I speak from experience. You speak from nonsense.

Knock it off with the bullshit. YOU contribute to the problem of misinformation.

post the pics

HYPNOTIK
08-04-2009, 11:22 PM
This thread is funny. People all talk shit about people who buy a "cheap" cage because it's a safety issue yet 90% of the 180's and 240's I've seen have a 4 point harness bolted to the floor behind the driver seat and not to a harness bar. LOL.

Brian
08-05-2009, 10:26 AM
It boils down to this.

Almost everybody here is from USA.

USA breeds fear.

So, all these people talk about theoretical problems that might happen in your 240sx.

Harnesses will crush your spine.
bolt in cages will collapse and kill you.
etc.

Sure, it could be true, however, I'm PRETTY SURE it hasn't happened to anybody here.
There have been MULTIPLE photos and stories of bolt in cage equipped cars that flipped. Did the people inside get hurt or die? No.

It's just crybaby "WHAT IF" scenarios that people THINK they have authority to speak on.

Guess what. Nobody should go outside anymore. The sky might fall.

Lozer
08-17-2009, 06:26 PM
All im saying is if your going to do it do if friggin right. Now tell me if i drop the equivent of 1 ton on you in a cage would you rather have a nice solid weld or a a bolt and 2 eyelets?

southerncross
08-17-2009, 06:40 PM
ive had an autopower weld-in in 3 cars. i wouldnt do it any other way. to me (and i dont speak for anyone else), id just rather not have a bolt in cage. im a lot more confident in a fully welded structure with 6 points on the floor and door bars than in a car with a bolted in bar system. its just about comfort level for me. . . i feel like i can be more aggressive if i feel safer in what im driving.

ive had one bolt in cage (only a 4 point), and it only stayed that way for about 3 weeks, and then i had it welded in/braced and made into a 6 point.

its your life man. . . dont screw around. you only have to buy the thing one time. if having a welded in cage is a big deal then buy a bolt in if thats what your comfortable with, but dont buy the cheapest because its the most affordable. ask people in the sport what they run and why. God forbid, if you ever have to depend on it to save your life you wont be disappointed you bought a good one.

on that note, i'll end by saying ive seen 10 or more extremely violent crashes that ended with drivers walking away because they chose to get good safety equipment.

Shadowhunter
08-17-2009, 09:08 PM

I'd love to put my foot in my mouth. Here goes, name one legitimate racing organization that will allow a car to race with one of these awesome bolt in racing cages...Can't think of any? That's cause there are none. It's pretty obvious that the weak link in a bolt in cage is the joint to where it is bolted in, are there people who have had a bolt in cage and survived a crash and it saved their lives? Probably. But there's a reason that shit is ghetto, I speak from experience about the quality of godspeed's products(seen these cages and other stuff from them first hand) That shit is horrible with tack welds and rust under the paint.. now if your stupid ass wants to trust your life to a cage like that...be my guest. But until then...How about you knock off the bullshit and stop talking all high and mighty. I think you sir are the one who needs to check his information. [/end flame]

recklessrob
11-05-2010, 05:45 PM
I'd love to put my foot in my mouth. Here goes, name one legitimate racing organization that will allow a car to race with one of these awesome bolt in racing cages...Can't think of any? That's cause there are none. It's pretty obvious that the weak link in a bolt in cage is the joint to where it is bolted in, are there people who have had a bolt in cage and survived a crash and it saved their lives? Probably. But there's a reason that shit is ghetto, I speak from experience about the quality of godspeed's products(seen these cages and other stuff from them first hand) That shit is horrible with tack welds and rust under the paint.. now if your stupid ass wants to trust your life to a cage like that...be my guest. But until then...How about you knock off the bullshit and stop talking all high and mighty. I think you sir are the one who needs to check his information. [/end flame]

^do you go to the track? do you actually drift? do you actually grip? if you are crashing hard enough to actually need a cage for a rollover/total-loss type/single-shot/high-speed/high-impact accident then please get more track time and get a legitimate cage.
brian is right about these cages saving lives and holding their own through nearly every situation involving skilled drivers(and sometimes unskilled). if you think a stock 240sx cant handle a rollover you are mistaken. it is a car made just like any other car. these cages and ones similar to it are just an extra precaution against the roof entirely collapsing. i WILL buy one of these cages because i know when i crash i will have a helmet on, i will be in a bucket seat(strong enough to take an impact), harnesses(mounted correctly to a welded-in harness bar), and i will have door bars welded in(in order to pass tandem drifting tech). <-- this cage does not scare me what so ever because i am not scared of crashing because i know i am skilled enough to make the impact/damage minimal. if you need a cage to keep you from getting scared of crashing then please stop thinking about getting this cage and get some track time..

autopower cages are great... but the headroom sucks balls for anyone averaging 6 feet tall. <--- main reason for me buying the cage.

(wow..... i brought this thing back from the dead.....)

Bushido
11-07-2010, 07:55 PM
when was the last time you saw someone drifting on a track die from a rollover because their rollcage collapsed.

come on dudes. rollcages in drifting are more about chassis stiffening than safety.

USA is so hung up on this safety nonsense.

being safe isn't cool.

Dustxking
11-09-2010, 10:06 PM
^ I actually just saw a 350z roll over at my local track 2 months ago because his rear tire caught some dirt and when he kept drifting and got back on track the car flipped him.

And the owner of the car had fully built suspension and steering knuckles. luckily the day before the event he got a rear hoop installed before finishing the cage and it saved his life.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b316/virtual_bob/191cf9e5.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b316/virtual_bob/3f390c44.jpg

ArticSilver
11-17-2010, 07:58 AM
ouch, that sucks!