PDA

View Full Version : Harmonically balancing Sr for new Redline

RBS14
03-19-2003, 09:26 AM
Yes....... I searched, couldn't find exactly what i wanted....

I finally got my SR a week ago. I'm tearing it down right now, getting it ready for new internals and Valvetrain. I was wondering what RPM should I have it balanced to? I'm thinking 9000. The beautiful thing is that a full ferrea valvetrain (dual spring) will still work at that high of an rpm. What have you guys done? here is what i'm thinking for internals, tell me if you think there are better things I could use.

CP pistons (custom)
Eagle Rods
Clevlite Bearings
ARP Hardwear everywhere
Full Ferrea valvetrain with HKS cams
Apex .8mm head gasket

I'll worry about all of the stuff that bolts on later.

Thanks in advance

-Scott

uiuc240
03-19-2003, 09:58 AM
redline is only important if you have the gearing and power curve to match.

if you are planning to run 30 psi and a T78 turbo and drag with this biyatch, then go for the 9000 rpm redline.

if you just want 15 psi with a T3/T04 or something, then you can just leave it at 7500-8000.

In either case, the 5 speed tranny is NOT a close ratio model, so having a peaky powerband might suck. But, having a higher redline *could* help that by allowing you to stay in a gear longer.

So, basically what I'm saying is that 9000 might be good, but it might just be overkill.

Eric

RBS14
03-19-2003, 10:13 AM
That makes sense. I'm not going for the T88 so, you are probably right, I might just want to keep it a 7500. All I have to do is put a longer final drive gear in my diff though to make the gears long enough. Has anyone heard about the Power Enterprise turbo kits?

Thanks
Scott