PDA

View Full Version : I know, Rota is knock offs but.......

weshole
11-23-2008, 11:56 PM
I know by searching the forums to know that Rota wheels are not held in too high a regard but, I have a limited budget right now (till the kids graduate) and I have got to get some new wheels. So the ones I have chosen are the P45R's. What I need to know is what offsets to run. The 9's are available in a +25 offset and the 9.5's are available in +30 and +12 offsets.

A little info on my car. Its a 92 coupe with Tein HA's on there. Stock control arms both front and rear. Just some adj toe bars up front.
I have the stock 4 lug pattern on my car now and will run this way for the next couple of years and will be running 17's till I can really afford to switch everything.

All I am asking is what I can feasibly get away with running on my lil toy. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Here's the info on them. P-45R - ROTA Wheels (http://www.rotawheels.com/wheels.asp?wheelid=31)

s13 @ fullboost
11-24-2008, 12:03 AM
Not going to lie but they do not look to bad Just make sure you don't keep the gay center cap I would say go with the 9.5 +12

jspec240
11-24-2008, 12:04 AM
Well said^^ I hate them with the center cap also. but yea they can look good.

supportTHEezln
11-24-2008, 12:05 AM
How do you want them to look on the car?

Flush, conservative, etc.

Etc.

That will determine what offset to run.
Although, I third the +12.

weshole
11-24-2008, 12:11 AM
I want as wide as I dare without having to totally roll and pull the fenders/quarters. I guess I can roll them but dont want to have to use spacers to get my stance. Here's how mine sit now and I want a lil more "stance".
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a392/weshole/100_1533.jpg

s13 @ fullboost
11-24-2008, 12:11 AM
you Might want to roll your rear fenders also If you want good fitment

s13 @ fullboost
11-24-2008, 12:12 AM
haha oh shit beat me to it by like a second lol

weshole
11-24-2008, 12:14 AM
Haha. Here's a pic from the front. I can easily roll the fenders I just realized I got a friend with a roller.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a392/weshole/SL380484.jpg

96Turbo
11-24-2008, 12:14 AM
minnesota in the house!

You could run the 17x9 +25 if you used a 10mm spacer. And the 9.5 + 12 should fit pretty nicely as well. you could stagger using these 2 sizes.

shit, you've got me tempted to get these things. I've always loved the Uras NS-01 and Nismo LMGT wheels. These gotta be the next best thing

EDIT: two tone and minnesota?? I've got a two tone too!

But holy hell, you havea clean silvia front with OEM Aero bumper?!?!?!?!?! Wanna trade for my pignose + cash???:keke::keke::keke:

s13 @ fullboost
11-24-2008, 12:16 AM
wow sits kinda high for tein coils

allntrlundrgrnd
11-24-2008, 12:23 AM
here you go

http://zilvia.net/f/wheels-tires/225775-rota-p45r-18-9-5-15-4x114-3-rare.html

Shift-240
11-24-2008, 12:24 AM
don't run staggered wheels if you don't have to.

you'll have to roll with a very very slight pull to run 9.5 w/+12 depending on what size tire you run.

my hotwheels are 9 w/ a 0 and they sit flush with rolled and slightly pulled. they

should fit just about the same

weshole
11-24-2008, 12:31 AM
minnesota in the house!

You could run the 17x9 +25 if you used a 10mm spacer. And the 9.5 + 12 should fit pretty nicely as well. you could stagger using these 2 sizes.

shit, you've got me tempted to get these things. I've always loved the Uras NS-01 and Nismo LMGT wheels. These gotta be the next best thing

EDIT: two tone and minnesota?? I've got a two tone too!

But holy hell, you havea clean silvia front with OEM Aero bumper?!?!?!?!?! Wanna trade for my pignose + cash???:keke::keke::keke:

I think I'll keep my front as it sits lol. But I'm sure theres more Silvia Aero bumpers out there.

wow sits kinda high for tein coils

Ya, that's how I got it. I will adjust it down when I get some wheels this spring when she comes out of storage.

So, if I run the 9.5" +12's all around, I will at most be having to roll fenders slightly?

ellisonrox
11-24-2008, 12:55 AM
http://zilvia.net/f/chat/129865-wheel-fitment-whore-thread.html

Fries
11-24-2008, 01:09 AM
So, if I run the 9.5" +12's all around, I will at most be having to roll fenders slightly?

Roll the fenders [No need to pull them though] and run a stretched tire in order to properly fit.

Wheel whore fitment thread will help you see what needs to be done.

Camo
11-24-2008, 01:34 AM
go with 9.5 +12

Sileighty_85
11-24-2008, 06:09 AM
I hate you Fries LOL

Your Avatar is hideous, I saw that thread on her.

Just when I got that Image out of my head.

Sorry for not on topic lol

4sfed180
11-24-2008, 07:32 AM
i had those wheels for a while on my SC. i had 18x9.5+30. they looked okay but they were heavy as fuck. with the 255/35 tire they were hernia inducing when i was putting them on. lol. as far as for a budget wheel they will fit well and get the job done.

just dont get rota torque. the spokes on those things break all the time like its going out of style.

s13 @ fullboost
11-24-2008, 08:45 AM
I will say stretching Tires is unsafe yeah it looks good and your fitment is better but honestly its not worth it. you should just roll and pull and be safe.

Slidin240Wayz
11-24-2008, 09:00 AM
You will need to pull a little.

Prepare for it.

bejota180sx
11-24-2008, 09:09 AM
there's a member here who posted the +12 size (Staggered 17F/18R) in the fitment thread... just as long as you NEVER put a nismo/bee*R sticker on them...

jrocslider
11-24-2008, 09:09 AM
9.5+12 would be ideal.

and its all hype... you will not need a pull. you will need a nice roll. there is a difference.

it all depends on how you are willing to fit the wheels as in how much camber you are willing to run etc

ixfxi
11-24-2008, 09:57 AM
i dont get it....

why was time and money with rota when you can just temporarily put some OE wheels which can be attained for the same price.

ide rather put that money into a 5-lug conversion which can be had for fairly cheap if you search around, then install some R32 or even R33 GTR wheels.

ill take a factory wheel any day over a POS rota. its not a matter of looks, its a matter of safety.

that, plus they're cheap TE37 knockoffs. (which should be reason enough)

bblack_91240
11-24-2008, 10:14 AM
ide rather put that money into a 5-lug conversion which can be had for fairly cheap if you search around, then install some R32 or even R33 GTR wheels.

ill take a factory wheel any day over a POS rota. its not a matter of looks, its a matter of safety.

Go 5 lug and buy 350z wheels. You can probably do it all for the same as buying these knock offs. I mean you've got Tein coils, why would you buy Rotas?! They do remind me of the LMGTs though.. I wish I didn't get rid of mine.

xs240
11-24-2008, 10:44 AM
The problem with all themrotas, no matter how good they look they're shit hiding inside. Like shit cake with chocolate strawberry icing on the top... that is all... you'll still hurt once you taste it.

Meh.. save and buy the good stuff...

slider2828
11-24-2008, 11:04 AM
Would buy them.... they look awesome and who cares, Norcali roads sucks... One gets dented and cracked I ain't going stress about it, but you get some CRKai's or Works and you get a crack.... its some change to get a new one....

Addicted2Kouki
11-24-2008, 01:08 PM
I dont think I have ever seen CR Kais crack..
bend the lip maybe but not crack.

weshole
11-24-2008, 01:18 PM
Ok I will explain this once. I have 2 kids that will be graduating in the next 2 years. One this year, the other, the next. I want to make their graduations as good as possible. As a result, I have a limited budget to deal with right now but am willing to spend a little money on some wheels and tires to spruce this looks up a little. When it's all said and done, I WILL be doing a 5 lug conversion and spending some coin on good wheels. Just not right now. I could give 2 shits about having the best of the best right now. I'm not going drifting or doing any super dooper stunts with this car so I'm not concerned with the upmost in strength. Yes, my car has Teins on it among a bevy of other higher end parts. That's how I got it and am glad it's there but, I CANNOT spend the 2500+ for the uber sweet mad tyte jdm shit now. Kids come first but I do have a lil bit to play with so this is how I am going about it. I will easily be able to sell them once I get the other stuff so I wont be WASTING my money. I'm done defending my choices and just wanted some honest answers from the people that are in the know......... YOU GUYS!!!! Thanks for all the answers for my actual question.

On further note, I'm not going to do alot for major width of tires either. 275's in the rear MAX and 235's in the front MAX. Prob not going that big either. Probably 245's rear and 225's front. This is to keep the cmber settings to a reasonable level for now.

AznDrftr.
11-24-2008, 01:43 PM
thinkin about going lower, that'll make your stance lookin nice as well.

you want deep dish, or just flush?

what kind of "stance" particuarly are you looking 4?

240lookis
11-24-2008, 01:49 PM
9.5 +12 for sure. if you have coils go with the more aggressive fitment.

weshole
11-24-2008, 01:51 PM
I want it flush with the wheel opening or as close as possible without haveing to do more than roll the fenders/quarters. With the wheel I have chosen, there really isnt a lip so to speak so..... But obviously, the more the better.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a392/weshole/p45r_1.jpg

weshole
11-24-2008, 01:53 PM
And yes, I will lose the center caps. And I WILL NOT put Nismo decals on them.

JRas
11-24-2008, 02:04 PM
Do it right the first time

If you don't have the money now wait, until you do

No excuse to go rotas, specially when you already know the reasons we don't suggest them...

weshole
11-24-2008, 02:24 PM
Ya everyone says they will break. I call Bullshit. I have been selling wheels for over 10 years now. Anywhere from weak ass cheap ass shit (cheaper than rota) to American Racing, Centerline, Enkei, XXR/Sportmax, etc., etc. And even mounted quite a few Rota wheels up for customers that supplied them as well. Not ONE of them has broke from everyday driving or even some spirited driving. EVER!!!! Nearly all wheels will fail if abused and or mistreated and if I or someone else breaks a wheelas a result, so be it. If it was not safe to put on the roads as so many of you would have everyone belive.... there wouldnt be a D.O.T. number on them and in no way would they be able to be sold in the U.S. Im saying this one last time, I'm not changing my mind. I just want to know what offsets I can get away with on this particular vehicle. That is all. So If you dont agree with my choices. Fine. Just refrain from posting on this thread any further. It's responses like that that led me to post the topic titile that I did. I knew some people could stop themselves from posting their opinions on what OTHER wheel I should be using instead of Rotas. So again I ask politely... Please, just reply with answers to the question or options pertaining to the wheel in question. Thank you.

silviaguy240
11-24-2008, 02:41 PM
9+25 with a 7mm slipon up front and 9.5 +12 in the rear.

weshole
11-24-2008, 02:43 PM
9+25 with a 7mm slipon up front and 9.5 +12 in the rear.

That's which way I am leaning. Using a 5-7mm spacer up front.

TRU_DAH-V
11-24-2008, 03:06 PM
I dont think I have ever seen CR Kais crack..
bend the lip maybe but not crack.

Now you see it hahaha but he hit a concrete barrier going like 35.(it still holds air though)

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b4/kraz_e4u/04-13-08044.jpg

nismo 240sx
11-24-2008, 04:21 PM
even though there rotas they are sick looking...i would get 18x9.5 offset 12...i think that straight!...and like they said lose the center caps..ill be picking some up pretty soon as well..and like you said children do come first!...good luck

sirfallsalot243
11-24-2008, 05:52 PM
I was originally a Honda guy... so Ive run my fair share of rotas.. For the price, they cant be beat. They can take a decent beating, and if you fuck one up... so what? Buy another one. Not like real wheels where you dent one and declare bankruptcy. I never understood people who buy real wheels for street cars.

Althogh $850 is fucking rediculous for a set of Rota's. Theyre nice rotas... but theyre still fucking rotas.

weshole
11-24-2008, 07:00 PM
Noone has to explain to me the difference in wheels quality. I understand the quality of Rota may not be on par with Volk, SSR, or Work. But there is an industry standard which ALL wheel manufacturers have to abide and test by and if they dont meet the requirments, they dont make it to the shelf. Plain and simple.

Oh and btw, if anyone thinks that Volk/Rays wheels are all made in house by them... They're smokin crack. A lot of those wheels are made by Bridgestone Japan both past and present wheels from them. Same with Prodrive. In fact, there's al l whole lotta voodoo going on behind the scenes of who actually makes the wheels that everyone holds soooo dear. I've been on one side of this for a few years and have actually learned of a few wheel companies that are all made by the same exact manufacturer. I'll post what I KNOW when I can prove it. But thats for another thread entirely.

brett-hancock
11-24-2008, 07:02 PM
Yeh I'd MOS. DEF. go with the 18x9.5 +12s those look hella good for budget wheels!!! Thinkin bout doin the same thing myself till I can afford some EQUIPS or EUROLINES next spring!!!

brett-hancock
11-24-2008, 07:11 PM
Oh an to get the "STANCE" you're lookin for you'll def. need to do as everyone else says!!! SLAM that bia an give er' bout -3 cam. front an rear with a nice roll an a slight pull!!! SHOULD BE PRETTY SWEET BRO!!! Nice car BTW!!!

MetricHotrods.com
11-24-2008, 07:17 PM
the particular model youre looking at weighs 30lbs per wheel.

so, the performace will be less than oem. at that point it becomes only cosmetic, and i personally frown on cosmetic mods that take away from performance.

as far as the rota issue, the only thing i concern myself with is size, and construction. is it forged? cast? and if its cast is it still reasonably light? these arent.

bitchin wheel but, they just weigh a ton.

they are a lmgt4 (somethin like that) knock off, but the wheels in question can be had on yahoo auctions for less than 2k. something to think about. the real deals.

weshole
11-24-2008, 07:28 PM
the particular model youre looking at weighs 30lbs per wheel.

so, the performace will be less than oem. at that point it becomes only cosmetic, and i personally frown on cosmetic mods that take away from performance.

as far as the rota issue, the only thing i concern myself with is size, and construction. is it forged? cast? and if its cast is it still reasonably light? these arent.

bitchin wheel but, they just weigh a ton.

they are a lmgt4 (somethin like that) knock off, but the wheels in question can be had on yahoo auctions for less than 2k. something to think about. the real deals.

At this point it IS mostly cosmetic I'm after. I have about 1200 to spend on wheels and tires all together. That's all my budget will allow. I know they will be heavier than the oe and my existing wheels but that doesnt matter to me as of right now. And like I said before, these are only temporary. I'm not affraid of upgrading again in the future. And, I know I'll end up spending more later as well. But, I will still be able to sell these whan all is said and done too for a lil sumpin anyway so no biggie.

OptionZero
11-24-2008, 07:40 PM
i want good wheel fitment without touching the fenders!

i also want to have sex and not sweat

weshole
11-24-2008, 08:01 PM

I also want to have sex and not have to pay for it

fixd!!!!!!!!

speed_racerx
11-24-2008, 08:03 PM

i also want to have sex and not sweat

ever tried having sex in a walk in freezer?

fueled by hate
11-24-2008, 08:30 PM
If you're going to do a 5 lug conversion I would just hold off for now. Money is tight for everyone right now and there's no sense paying for those wheels and then reselling them later only to lose a little money.

ROIDMONKEY
11-24-2008, 08:35 PM
9.5+12 is a nice offset but u will need to roll ur fenders if u want to run a decent size tire. please dont stretch . if u dont want to roll go with the +25 offset (u still have to roll but only a bit). r u running 300 brakes? if yes u might need spacers . u might

usajdm
11-25-2008, 01:45 AM
Ok I will explain this once. I have 2 kids that will be graduating in the next 2 years. One this year, the other, the next. I want to make their graduations as good as possible. As a result, I have a limited budget to deal with right now but am willing to spend a little money on some wheels and tires to spruce this looks up a little. When it's all said and done, I WILL be doing a 5 lug conversion and spending some coin on good wheels. Just not right now. I could give 2 shits about having the best of the best right now. I'm not going drifting or doing any super dooper stunts with this car so I'm not concerned with the upmost in strength. Yes, my car has Teins on it among a bevy of other higher end parts. That's how I got it and am glad it's there but, I CANNOT spend the 2500+ for the uber sweet mad tyte jdm shit now. Kids come first but I do have a lil bit to play with so this is how I am going about it. I will easily be able to sell them once I get the other stuff so I wont be WASTING my money. I'm done defending my choices and just wanted some honest answers from the people that are in the know......... YOU GUYS!!!! Thanks for all the answers for my actual question.

On further note, I'm not going to do alot for major width of tires either. 275's in the rear MAX and 235's in the front MAX. Prob not going that big either. Probably 245's rear and 225's front. This is to keep the cmber settings to a reasonable level for now.

You dont need to explain yourself homie.......
Keep in mind that the "bullshit" replies are coming from kids that are still livin at home and got mommy and daddy kickin down for their "baller" rims.

Stay focused on the good people offering the informative responses.
And thankyou to the young ones that may still live at home, but at least act like a man instead of a boy......

kid270r
11-25-2008, 03:04 AM
damn, people cant get a break in this bitch. do what you gotta do bro! people talk crap about shitty wheels, who got baller wheels, when they dont got enough in there motor cause it all went to shoes..lol.."and they wonder why there car isnt fast??" people talk and make shit about buying budget wheels when they think they"re ballers rolling used sets. i bet there are fair share of other people in other forums clowing fools cause thery're buying second hand abused wheels.. once again the world makes sense.. i give props to those who have the time to save for a nice set of used or new wheels and dont have a stick up there ass putting down others in tighter situations. pride is one thing but cockyness is shit! i worked for a dealer parts department and ive seen all kinds of wheels sent to a Bridgestone test track across our border for testing and durability. tenzo, rotas, and several makes have been tested with great results.. i myself was discontent about these types of wheels till i l what they were doing..

like usajdm said " You dont need to explain yourself homie.......
Keep in mind that the "bullshit" replies are coming from kids that are still livin at home and got mommy and daddy kickin down for their "baller" rims."

kids come first!

origin_s135
11-25-2008, 03:43 AM
i don't get it, weshole simply asked for "WHICH SIZE/OFFSET" to get. anyway, i'm not even gonna go there. well i found this pic of a stock body240sx[hatchback though] with the p45r's all around. hope this helps.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y259/flipdrifter240sx/build/IMAGE_00093.jpg
" i did test fit some tires on them. I was able to fit some 210/30/18's but were still rubbing on the fenders, so your going to have to get your fenders rolled to roll these wheels if your putting them on a 240."

210 on 9.5" wide rims though?

wgJoY
11-25-2008, 04:10 AM
If you would be second guessing getting P45R's.. just wait a bit and see if you can get a better deal on something else. There's always people selling things on here, new deals everyday. Check it out,
http://zilvia.net/f/wheels-tires/
and I'm serious too. You'll be happier knowing that you're not cheap-assing your ride and worse yet, yourself. Give it a month or two, I can promise that you'll find a sweet ass deal on some rims in that section.

but if your not second guessing P45R's at this point, disregard this post.

nzmoman
11-25-2008, 07:54 AM
rota>sportmaxx... people just hate on them because they were initially an ebay wheel. i have seen some pretty nice Rota setups.

Phlip
11-25-2008, 07:55 AM
Look, I am getting sick of deleting posts from this thread.
His mind is made with how he will spend his money.
If you have a problem with that, then fine, but spare us the bullshit, I don't like having to close threads.

weshole
11-25-2008, 09:25 AM
If you have a problem with that, then fine, but spare us the bullshit, I don't like having to close threads.

Thank you Philip... For all that you do. I do greatly appreciate all the informative responses I have got from the true contributors. :l101: I have a good idea of how I'm going to move forward from here. But, if you have some info to add, please post it up. I will be watching this thread until the day I purchase.

SexPanda
11-25-2008, 09:47 AM
You have a nice DD and want it to look a little nicer. Your not drifting, no donuts in the walmart parking lot, no SCCA.

I dont see a problem with getting rotas. Yeah, they're cheap knockoffs, but you said after your kids graduate, your getting the good stuff. So I see no problem.

9.5+12 is prolly a good choice, it'll look nice. You'll prolly have to roll the fenders a little, like they said, but it'll look good. I mean, honestly, your a 36 year old man with 2 kids in highschool. I SERIOUSLY doubt you'd do anything to jeopardize your safty, that of your kids, or anyone else. ROTAs would be fine for now, just to make it look a little nicer.

slider2828
11-25-2008, 09:53 AM
That is exactly what I said early on in the post.... If he cracks one on shitty roads or what not, buy another who cares.... Things happen to RIMs and sometimes you can't avoid them.... I think those rims are a good alternative to the look he has and if I was tracking a lot or autoxing, I think those look sick....

But really you wouldn't consider FN01R's? Super light and durable and probably almost 1/2 the cost of those rims you want and 1/2 the weight? It doesn't look bad either and you can get them 17x9 +20. With a little tire stretch for looks, it will fit perfect even with any braking upgrades and comes in a lot of colors.... I too wish it had a concave look, but for now, its really good value... Just a thought..

ixfxi
11-25-2008, 09:59 AM

so hes not buying a camry like i suggested? :(

think about it, your kids will thank you for NOT BUYING ROTA. Philippines Domestic Market, y0.

i wouldnt wanna get picked up from school and hear my friends makin fun of my dad and his fake wheels. it was bad enough my dad put an AMG badge on his non-amg mercedes.

oh well, gotta learn to handle the chit-chat, its all fun.. dont take it personally.

Dutchmalmiss
11-25-2008, 10:10 AM
Have you tried looking at the rota grids? 18's might look a little unproportioned on a stock aero car. At 16x8 it can still look good and you might not have to worry about fender altering. Just my .02 if you were considering other alternatives.

kid270r
11-25-2008, 10:47 AM
the grids are nice too.. i was even concidering those.. kids are so caught up with other crap there not going to wonder about what brand wheels he's using.. if his shit is boosted, theyere going to be more interested on whats inside.. i rocked 962's and i never heard heard one bad comment for the three years i had them... just one person who was all stuck on work wheels.. boo hoo.. im personaly getting the same wheels as youre looking into. it's all on how you make them look. where do you plan on buying your wheels from?

weshole
11-25-2008, 11:05 AM
I've looked at all the possibilites out there and the P4R's are what I like the best. Agreed, the people I know are way more concerned with the BOOST factor than the wheel brand itself. In fact, Rotas are not looked down upon in this area either.

s13 @ fullboost
11-25-2008, 11:07 AM
I would take Rota over sportmax/ssr anyday even though I am not a huge fan of ether good luck man do what you want now that you have the offsets

kid270r
11-25-2008, 11:43 AM
^^^ i feel the exact same way.. i didnt think these rotas were there at the time so i had to settle with the 962's.. but now im getting the rotas.. once i have my powerband where i want it and looking like i want, then ill start looking for some volk's or somthing. so these will do greatly for now..

Addicted2Kouki
11-25-2008, 01:04 PM
Now you see it hahaha but he hit a concrete barrier going like 35.(it still holds air though)

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b4/kraz_e4u/04-13-08044.jpg

read the post before mine...
it said from a pothole.

JDM_inspired
11-25-2008, 01:40 PM
what can i say, rota makes nice reps, thats all it is, "nice". im pretty sure your minds set, but if your patient, you could find a clean set of CST d-spec's on the boards. just my .02

weshole
11-25-2008, 05:14 PM
where do you plan on buying your wheels from?

Not sure yet. Looking into becoming a rep for them at my work.

what can i say, rota makes nice reps, thats all it is, "nice". im pretty sure your minds set, but if your patient, you could find a clean set of CST d-spec's on the boards. just my .02

If they are available when I do buy, then I'll jump on a set.

weshole
11-27-2008, 05:47 PM
I just happened to stumble upon this today. Watch closely at the 2:55 mark and tell me what brand of wheels he's running?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVu2hpqaLNo

THE PROPHET
11-27-2008, 07:16 PM
We are on the same page brotha, i have a coupe/4-lug/ etc. just like you and im planning on buying the same wheels (cuz my bugdet is tighter than asian pu$$y). Im most likley going with the 17x9.5 +12 and pulling my fenders. I don't see what the big deal is, there are really nice looking wheels for a cheap price. They are good part-time wheels, when i have more money in the future i too will go baller. For now the P45r's are my best friend.