PDA

View Full Version : Need help deciding which bike i should get for the summer

rb25_s13*CHUKI
06-21-2008, 01:17 PM
I've been look at bikes for the summer time and the extremely high gas prices.I've done lots of research on gixxers,r1's,cbrr and nija's... All seem like great bikes... with the gixxer being the lightest outa the 4 and seemingly the fastest... Just wanted to know what any zilvian's might think or have experienced with any of these bikes... Oh and this is gonna be my first bike:bigok:

SR2Zero
06-21-2008, 04:25 PM
Wow, there was a thread just like this a couple days ago (if not yesterday). As far as a first bike, are you really looking for a 1000cc like the R1 or something similar? That's a whole lot of bike for an unexperienced rider, and ultimately will probably lead to a horrible experience. If you search for the thread, it has some info about classes and stuff. They supply 250's and 600's to ride I believe. If anything for a first bike (if you must go big/fast/whatever) go with a 600. Just my opinion

rb25_s13*CHUKI
06-21-2008, 04:48 PM
Oh haha i just put r1 cause it looks sweet... I was looking into getting a 600 yea.. There was a thread hmm ill search for it..Im not gonna be getting bikes left and right so i figure go big or go home i guess so i wouldn't rule out a 1000 .. I have no intention of doing any kind of racing at all,well atleast not for a while.. Thanks for ur input

g6civcx
06-21-2008, 05:31 PM
go big or go home

Get a 2008 Ninja 250R. It looks just like any supersport.

Thank me 2 years later when you know what's going on.

Vision Garage
06-21-2008, 05:42 PM
I got a 07 Gixxer and I love it. 08 got ugly IMO

Jung918
06-21-2008, 06:02 PM
Oh haha i just put r1 cause it looks sweet... I was looking into getting a 600 yea.. There was a thread hmm ill search for it..Im not gonna be getting bikes left and right so i figure go big or go home i guess so i wouldn't rule out a 1000 .. I have no intention of doing any kind of racing at all,well atleast not for a while.. Thanks for ur input

If your philosophy is go big or go home you may want to reconsider getting a bike.

Just dont get a CBR. I don't want my insurance rates to go up.

xblack240x
06-21-2008, 06:19 PM
You definitely have a lot to learn about riding. Trust me go with a 250 or Sv650 or something. Looks and whatnot should not be your deciding factor for you first bike. Get comfortable with street riding then go big or go home. I just started riding this year and trust me as careful as you think you are riding is a whole new experience. Best of luck to you, and if you still are going to choose from the list above I would have to put my money on the R1 for a liter bike, for a 600 Ive only been on a gixxer and a r6 and like the gixxer more. I love the way the new CBR 600 looks though. Have fun and ride safe.

g6civcx
06-21-2008, 06:46 PM
You definitely have a lot to learn about riding. Trust me go with a 250 or Sv650 or something. Looks and whatnot should not be your deciding factor for you first bike. Get comfortable with street riding then go big or go home. I just started riding this year and trust me as careful as you think you are riding is a whole new experience. Best of luck to you, and if you still are going to choose from the list above I would have to put my money on the R1 for a liter bike, for a 600 Ive only been on a gixxer and a r6 and like the gixxer more. I love the way the new CBR 600 looks though. Have fun and ride safe.

Bikes are not like cars. Anybody can drive a car 0-70% of the car's potential and be fine, and the slower you go the easier it is.

Bikes are the reverse. It's actually easier to ride a supersport 50-70% of the bike's potential than it is to try and go slower. Slow = unstable.

Bike crashes happen when you try to ride 0-20% and 80-100+% :naughty:

DOOK
06-21-2008, 06:49 PM
do yourself a favor and don't get a bike... with your philosophy, you'll just become a statistic.

rb25_s13*CHUKI
06-21-2008, 07:35 PM
I've been around bikes along time. Dad had a bike,uncle's,cousin's.. That's where go big or go home came from..I'm not a completely new rider it's just gonna the first bike that i own(Should have mentioned that earlier)
Cousin recently got a gixxer 750 first bike for him.. Now he want's a 1000.. I've thought about it im gonna go with a 600 or a 750 but 750 would mean suzuki.. I'm getting a bike regardless just which one? I really like the gixxer 600's and the honda's look mean.. Only problems i've hear about the gixxers is that they leak oil when they get miles on them.

S14DB
06-21-2008, 08:14 PM
http://www.funis.com/images/beach%20cruiser%20bike.jpg

JabuRB
06-21-2008, 08:39 PM
http://www.arrow.it/img_news/Speed_triple_poster.jpg The only Bike I like . Three cylinder rocket !

rb25_s13*CHUKI
06-21-2008, 08:39 PM

:naughtyd::naughtyd::naughtyd::naughtyd::naughtyd: :naughtyd: That bike iss Sweeeeeeeeeeeeet!! Aight i've decided im getting that bike right there.. You guys will see rolling to the meet on that thing

aNskY
06-21-2008, 09:25 PM
get a liter bike.
do 200mph everywhere.
end up road pizza like all the other squids.

or be smart and get a 600 (at most) to start on. there is no point having power if you have no idea how to harness it. i GUARANTEE you wont be riding to 100% the potential of even a Ninja 250 in a year's time.

look into an older CBR600, they are cheap and very forgiving, perfect beginner's bike.

oh and it's not a matter of IF you'll lay it down, only when. everyone goes down.

*i have been riding bikes since i was 10, starting on an xr80 and the biggest bike ive ever owned was a 600 and i still do not ride to 100% of its capabilities, yet i somehow manage to RAPE every (ok MOST) liter bike in the canyons. take it for what it's worth.

edit: ABSOLUTELY MOST DEFINATELY TAKE THE MSF COURSE!! best investment a new rider can make besides proper gear.

g6civcx
06-21-2008, 10:07 PM
I take it back. Hayabusa or bust.

aNskY
06-21-2008, 10:40 PM
I take it back. Hayabusa or bust.

Some people just need to learn the hard way :duh:

DreamN
06-21-2008, 10:49 PM
Get the new 250R as mentioned by someone else. It's a great looking bike and perfect for a first timer. I'm actually considering it once I get some shit cleared up. It's pretty much the 240SX of the bike world. It has just enough power to put a smile on your face, looks great stock, and handles well from the factory. :D

ms!3
06-21-2008, 11:19 PM
harley or buell out of your range?

Ineedparts
06-21-2008, 11:39 PM
zx10 hands down ftw

rb25_s13*CHUKI
06-22-2008, 02:24 AM
harley or buell out of your range?

Haha yes they are buell's are insane!! no body parts what so ever and 1000cc's!! Oh and if i get a 250 my dad will diss own me he probly won't even let it happen. Ill be leaving and he'll like kick my ass and call me a homosexual for getting a 250.. Looks like most are saying 600 so im leaning more towards that..

soreballz
06-22-2008, 02:41 AM
New bike: Ninja 250R.
Used bike: Honda CBR F4i.

g6civcx
06-22-2008, 07:01 AM
handles well from the factory

Not the 07- 250R. The front suspension is too soft and needs stiffer fork springs and/or oil.

The rear suspension could use an upgrade as well.

The front brake (the only one that matters) is terrible.

It's a training bike. You have to crawl before you can walk. Trying to run before you can crawl = fail.

Buy one for cheap. Learn to ride. Crash it a few times. Laugh about it. Then sell for more than you paid for it.

Oh and if i get a 250 my dad will diss own me he probly won't even let it happen. Ill be leaving and he'll like kick my ass and call me a homosexual for getting a 250

I would have a serious discussion with your dad. If he wants to be supportive and teach you then that's a different story, but if he wants to make fun of you for learning then I would disassociate yourself from him for a while.

And just because you've been around bikes doesn't mean you know how to ride. People who have been riding for 25 years don't know how to ride because no one ever taught them.

Good luck with life.

DrG_RPS13
06-22-2008, 11:11 AM
I got a 07 Gixxer and I love it. 08 got ugly IMO

Nothing changed between 07 and 08 aside from the colour schemes..

I'm currently on a 06 Gixxer 1000. It's my 3rd bike and it needs a lot of respect let me tell you. Not a bike I'd recommend for a 1st timer at all!! You get a litre bike and there is a 90% chance you won't be around after 3 months.

From your list of bikes the gixxer is the most streetable and is also the fastest overall. fact. But, although it's a great bike it's not for you - not yet.

Have you looked at the Hyosung GT650R? If you are looking at a big bike and you think you'll upgrade eventually then this is a good option. It's not as expensive as the main stream bikes, yet it's a very nice ride and a nice bike overall.

Else get a 600 in any of the brands you suggested. The gixxers are all new in 08. Greaat bikes and really look the part.

Get some rider training.

rightcoastimports
06-22-2008, 03:20 PM
Nothing changed between 07 and 08 aside from the colour schemes..

I'm currently on a 06 Gixxer 1000. It's my 3rd bike and it needs a lot of respect let me tell you. Not a bike I'd recommend for a 1st timer at all!! You get a litre bike and there is a 90% chance you won't be around after 3 months.

From your list of bikes the gixxer is the most streetable and is also the fastest overall. fact. But, although it's a great bike it's not for you - not yet.

Have you looked at the Hyosung GT650R? If you are looking at a big bike and you think you'll upgrade eventually then this is a good option. It's not as expensive as the main stream bikes, yet it's a very nice ride and a nice bike overall.

Else get a 600 in any of the brands you suggested. The gixxers are all new in 08. Greaat bikes and really look the part.

Get some rider training.

ACTUALLY, the 08 gixxer is different. It may look similar but it not the same bike. The headlight is different, tail, exhaust, and many other small things. Also the engine has been slightly modified.

I bought used gsxr 600 for my first bike.. I currently have an 07 750 which i love. For a first bike I would get a 600 and learn to master it before getting cocky and buying something bigger.

And always gear up.. even if its hot out. I have lost friends on bikes from improper safety.

ms!3
06-22-2008, 06:52 PM
Haha yes they are buell's are insane!! no body parts what so ever and 1000cc's!!

Haha ya, buells are nice bikes. Harley is fucking bad ass tho. VRSC and FXCW are sexy as hell. 20k though!

aNskY
06-22-2008, 10:13 PM
^ dont know how i ever missed you. if you user name means what i think it does.... well... GTFO and DIAF.

rb25_s13*CHUKI
06-22-2008, 11:22 PM
Not the 07- 250R. The front suspension is too soft and needs stiffer fork springs and/or oil.

The rear suspension could use an upgrade as well.

The front brake (the only one that matters) is terrible.

It's a training bike. You have to crawl before you can walk. Trying to run before you can crawl = fail.

Buy one for cheap. Learn to ride. Crash it a few times. Laugh about it. Then sell for more than you paid for it.

I would have a serious discussion with your dad. If he wants to be supportive and teach you then that's a different story, but if he wants to make fun of you for learning then I would disassociate yourself from him for a while.

And just because you've been around bikes doesn't mean you know how to ride. People who have been riding for 25 years don't know how to ride because no one ever taught them.

Good luck with life.

He's gonna teach me everything he knows.. it's not rocket science to ride a bike. My cousin learned on his 750(first bike) in 1 week.. I went with my dad to check out bikes and he was trying to convince me to get a kawasaki but i think im gonna go with a gixxer 600... I do see what u guys are saying though i came off strong with the 1000's haha.. Ty for trying to help me not make a stupid decision and not kill my self:kiss:

rightcoastimports
06-22-2008, 11:28 PM
someone i knew from high school decided they wanted a bike.. and bought a 1000. that day he crashed into a pole and died.. had only ridden a couple times before.

start slow!

240esux
06-23-2008, 03:35 AM
if i had a choice id get a yamaha. the r6 raven is the hottest bike out rite now in the states. just be careful bro.
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/slideeight6/535671gotrka9ej3.jpg

g6civcx
06-23-2008, 10:40 AM
it's not rocket science to ride a bike

It's not rocket science, but live and learn.

Good luck and just be sensible.

When a newb hits a pothole on the 250 and slips the throttle to full blast, they will get a scare but be okay. Compare this to the brave/stupid who hop on a ZX-10 or ZX-14 as their first-ever motorcycle and accidentally blip the throttle only to end up picking themselves off the asphalt wondering a) where their bike went and b) where they can go change their pants.

I'm actually thinking about picking up an '08 Ninja 250R in lime green. I think with rearsets, clip ons, suspension/brake upgrades, it will be a very fun bike :D

Tenchuu
06-23-2008, 10:58 AM
yeah i got a 250R because everyone says you should learn on one. luckily i was able to sell mine a month later at no loss. driving those on two lane highways is dangerous because the can't pass over 55. also my knees ached because the are made for someone around the 5' mark, and i am 6'-3" so now i am looking at buying a 01 F4i. if you are taller i say get a 600. plus the liter bikes drink more fuel than the 600s and you said that you were doing this to dodge gas prices.

also i would go used. just in case you don't like it or crash it you have a used one so you don't feel that bad about it, and you don't have to worry about breaking it in.

g6civcx
06-23-2008, 11:44 AM
the can't pass over 55

My stock 250R passed an Evo holding 105. What are you talking about?

if you are taller i say get a 600

There is no way to build one riding position for everyone. You have to customize the bke to your preference, assuming you know what you want.

Jung918
06-23-2008, 12:33 PM

There is no way to build one riding position for everyone. You have to customize the bke to your preference, assuming you know what you want.

Evo driver sucks or you weight next to nothing

g6civcx
06-23-2008, 01:10 PM
My stock 250R passed an Evo holding 105

Evo driver sucks

Holding = standing still. The 250R was supposedly max at 105 according to people. I would say it could hold 105 no problem. Now getting above 110+ would be a challenge without gearing change.

you weight next to nothing

Weight = weigh.

Same test with 250 lbs. rider. Same results.

Private industrial park where my friend works BTW. Not public roads.

sunnys14
06-23-2008, 01:13 PM
the gixxer is no where near the lightest bike in the 600cc or 1000cc category.

g6civcx
06-23-2008, 01:16 PM
the gixxer is no where near the lightest bike in the 600cc or 1000cc category.

Which one has the lightest dry weight?

Ninja and Evo in question BTW.
http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/4338/ninjalf0.jpg
http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/4372/frontlj9.jpg

sunnys14
06-23-2008, 01:50 PM
...........?!??!

Tenchuu
06-23-2008, 03:34 PM

I am 6'2, 220 and the 2000 250R i had (bone stock but ran strong) maxed out at 95 MPH, and it needed a long time to go from 65,75 to that 95. from what i have read on 250 forums that most top out at 100MPH but that is with a small light rider and that was good for a guy my size. although i have heard from a guy who had on that was older than mine, stage 2 jets, muzzy exhaust, pods, and everthing weight shaved off the bike for track use that he could that that bike got him (200 ish) up to around 100 decently.

and for the pegs to work for me i would have had to move them back about 6" and drop them about 2-3" which would have meant that i could not have cornered near as well. It was comfortable enough for the first hour of my last trip, but by hour 2 it was starting to get rough, and by hour 3 me knees were killing me, and they felt like that the rest of the day.

now what you said about being easy and forgiving to ride is true, but if this guy buys a new 250 he in going to get tired of it in a few months and sell it at a loss of a few thousand. so i say get the 600 and be cautious when learning, or try and rent/borrow a 250 for a while to start out with.

Tenchuu
06-23-2008, 03:36 PM
Evo driver sucks or you weight next to nothing

and i believe that by saying you weigh next to nothing he meant that your person (bodyweight) weighs next to nothing. my 250 had a higher poer to weight ratio dry than my RB25 240, but once you fill it up and put me on it it was way lower than my 240, add a backpack and a weekend worth of clothes, and the 250 is a dog.

rb25_s13*CHUKI
06-23-2008, 09:21 PM
Im 6'2 and 260lbs... So i don't think me being on a 1000 would be a problem and im not an idiot. I weight the bike down enough

ms!3
06-23-2008, 10:59 PM
^ dont know how i ever missed you. if you user name means what i think it does.... well... GTFO and DIAF.

Its my chassis code. Didn't even know MS13 was a gang until i already signed up.

Akiros
06-23-2008, 11:55 PM
Im 6'2 and 260lbs... So i don't think me being on a 1000 would be a problem and im not an idiot. I weight the bike down enough

contradiction perhaps? Hmmmmm? :mepoke:

DJM AutoWerkz
06-24-2008, 01:32 AM
I got a 07 yamaha r6.I have never ever rode a bike and i purchases his bike brand new.But I must say the r6 sits higher then the gixxer 600.My buddy has a 07 gixxer and it sits lower in stock form.Also the gixxer 600 uis a good beginner bike cause it has the gear gauge to show u what gear ur in.hazard switch which the r6 doesnt..but i luv the r6 better then any bike out there and both bikes are eazy to ride one u get the hang of them.

g6civcx
06-24-2008, 06:56 AM
now what you said about being easy and forgiving to ride is true, but if this guy buys a new 250 he in going to get tired of it in a few months and sell it at a loss of a few thousand

so i say get the 600 and be cautious when learning

I agree 50%. For standard, touring, and cruisers, anything will do. I do not think a new rider should start out on a 600 supersport. It has to do with the riding position, the short wheelbase, the rake, the lowered bars, etc.

try and rent/borrow a 250 for a while to start out with.

This would be best.

Do what you want. Just be sensible and don't be afraid to ask a lot of questions. It doesn't matter what you ride if you use your head. There are lot of people here who ride and wouldn't mind helping you out.

Do you think any of you can take me on a 250 on a short roadcourse? :loco: I'm terror on a 250, that is, until I start scraping mufflers :D

DrG_RPS13
06-24-2008, 07:19 AM

Dude I am about 6'3 and weigh 105kg's and the 1000 nearly killed me a couple of times when I just got it. And I've been riding on a 650 for about a year prior, every day, and week ends.

Even if you weigh 300lbs the 1000 (and most bikes for that matter) can and will get you killed if you are not serious and careful. No one here is hating - they just all want you to make a sensible decision.

If you are scared to loose money and you want a big boy bike then I'd say the only solution is the GSXR K7 or K8. BUT, then you MUST have the self discipline to use the Mode Settings. Run it in C-mode for at least a month, then Switch to B Mode after that. Then after maybe 3 months if you're still alive switch to A-mode.

But spend a bit less on the bike and get some decent gear. Not just a helmet. Get boots, gloves, Jacket and riding pants. in that order. Research shows that after the head the feet are the most vulnarable in a bike accident. And read up a bit and buy good quality gear. 2mm+ leather with decent stiching.

And go for rider training.

Tenchuu
06-24-2008, 02:05 PM
Dude I am about 6'3 and weigh 105kg's and the 1000 nearly killed me a couple of times when I just got it. And I've been riding on a 650 for about a year prior, every day, and week ends.

Even if you weigh 300lbs the 1000 (and most bikes for that matter) can and will get you killed if you are not serious and careful. No one here is hating - they just all want you to make a sensible decision.

If you are scared to loose money and you want a big boy bike then I'd say the only solution is the GSXR K7 or K8. BUT, then you MUST have the self discipline to use the Mode Settings. Run it in C-mode for at least a month, then Switch to B Mode after that. Then after maybe 3 months if you're still alive switch to A-mode.

But spend a bit less on the bike and get some decent gear. Not just a helmet. Get boots, gloves, Jacket and riding pants. in that order. Research shows that after the head the feet are the most vulnarable in a bike accident. And read up a bit and buy good quality gear. 2mm+ leather with decent stiching.

And go for rider training.

word don't drop all your money on a bike. Most peole who just go out and get one that i see around where i live wire with the street shoes, pants/jeans, t-shirt and no gloves.
I ride with full setup is best, the bare minimum i ride with around town (to the store and back, i always go with pants too if riding on the highway) is jacket, gloves, boots, full face (with the shield down, idiots ride with it up allot) cause if you crash you need that stuff to keep you alive and happy. fixing a crashed biker is a LOT cheaper than the medical bills you will have with no protective equipment.

Tenchuu
06-24-2008, 02:06 PM
and as far as the voting goes, I am getting a CBR 600 F4i here int he next couple of days used for around $4K. yay for used bikes.

MomentumGT
06-24-2008, 03:29 PM
I'm voting for other...Triumph Daytona 675 just to be different. GSXR's are like the honda civic of bikes and are a dime a dozen. Better to stand out before you get laid down...I'm with g6civic in starting out small. The 250r has a very good resale value and after using and learning on it you can resell it with little loss as long as everything is still in good condition. GL and stay safe.

-Jon

rb25_s13*CHUKI
06-24-2008, 06:25 PM
I talked to a buddy of mine and he is gonna let me use his 250 ninja. So i don't have to go out and buy my own.

g6civcx
06-24-2008, 06:48 PM
GSXR's are like the honda civic of bikes and are a dime a dozen. Better to stand out before you get laid down

Out of the current 600 supersports offerings from the 4 major Jap manufacturers, I prefer the gixxer the most because the riding position requires the fewest adjustments to my style of riding.

All I would need is a Corbin and flip the shift lever upside down. Throw on a Puig windscreen, a set of frame sliders/rear wheel spools and it's perfect for me.

Although the 08 250R is starting to grow on me. I'd like to buy both actually :D

TCtrackrunner
06-24-2008, 11:31 PM
Start small and work your way up and wear you gear no bs i have friends with bad cuts

posdriftin
06-25-2008, 09:44 AM
my2 cents....
the gixxer is a great bike gonna cost more for insurance (because they are the most pop. bike and get downed and stolen alot) has midrange powert

the r6 is a track bike with lights.. great for racing and not so comfortable in the long run...loves to rev..not much fun in lower rpm

the honda i have no idea about.. heard good things though

the kawasaki zx6 seemed very stable and balanced.. alot of older gixxer (stunters) guys are switching to these because there the new stunt bikes people use..

everyones opinion is gonna be different... why not go to a bike shop and sit on allof them and see what feels the best to you ..some are to tall some are to wide..

i would avoid the 08 ninja 250r... why buy a bike to out grow it in a few months.. looks nice though...

Tenchuu
06-26-2008, 02:06 PM
I talked to a buddy of mine and he is gonna let me use his 250 ninja. So i don't have to go out and buy my own.

good choice. i just picked up a 01 F4i last night, rode around town and on the highway for 3 hours. I can say that it really wants to hand you your ass if you don't give it the respect it deserves. WAYYYYYY more power than the 250, i am veary sure this thing is faster than my RB25 S14, it requires a delicate wrist to work it well.

rb25_s13*CHUKI
06-26-2008, 11:20 PM
I don't think that a 250 can beat ur rb'd s14... His 250 couldn't beat my sr,But yea ima ride around with that for a while,get the hang of it. Gonna get a zx10r ninja.. I was going with the gixxer but they are everywhere! So yea getting a liter bike. In a few months if all goes well.. Ill be riding the 250 until that time:wiggle:. Looking to put in atleast 4 hours of riding a day.. and maybe canyon cruise with my cousin and the fearless stunters

rb25_s13*CHUKI
06-26-2008, 11:21 PM
If i feel that im not ready.. Then i will Wait and ride the 250.

aNskY
06-28-2008, 08:58 AM
why not try a 600 before you take the plunge into a liter? you may like the handling characteristics... straight line speed isnt everything (like i need to say that on zilvia ;))

jsasrsr
06-28-2008, 01:14 PM
if your really that confident, then go for a 600 bike... but no matter what you get, please get yourself a ninja and possibly a gixxer. i learned on a 250 and now that i rode a 6 i still dont feel that confident... +1 to him ^^

nismo tuned s14
06-28-2008, 01:58 PM
ive been thinking about the 250r for a while now. the 08's look amazing (except the small rear tire.) my only fear is that i'd grow out of it too soon and want a 600, but bikes depreciate slow so getting my money back wouldnt be a big deal.

g6civcx
06-28-2008, 08:40 PM
Why put up a poll if you don't like the choices people pick?

This is how unbelievable broad your choices are.

2008 Suzuki Gsx-r 32 34.78%

This can include GSX-R 600, 750, 1000, and possibly Hayabusa (GSX-1300 R if using the older nomenclature)

2008 Honda Cbr-rr 9 9.78%

This can mean CBR600RR or CBR1000RR.

2008 Kawasaki Ninja 18 19.57%

This can mean any of the Ninja line, including 250R, 500R, 650R, ZX6-R, ZX10-R, or ZX14-R. If you want to get technical, you can add in the ZZR-600 as well because it's the previous generation Ninja.

Other bikes 13 14.13%

This includes everything on 2 wheels, including bicycles.

If you don't know much about riding but insist on picking the bike before you learn, then just do it and see what happens.

If you want to learn then like I said above, there are many who can help you.

Live and let die.

DrG_RPS13
06-29-2008, 12:16 AM
ive been thinking about the 250r for a while now. the 08's look amazing (except the small rear tire.) my only fear is that i'd grow out of it too soon and want a 600, but bikes depreciate slow so getting my money back wouldnt be a big deal.

The K8 600 and 750 gixxers also have the suzuki mode selector switch which would make it ideal if you are starting out as well.

So get the 750 and start off on C mode. That way you will have a fairly "civil" introduction and as your skills improve you can work your way up to A mode. The modern 750 gixxer is about as quick as the older generation R1's so it's by no means a "small" bike. And it comes in that fantastic burnt orange.:bigok:

I've said this in every post but here goes again. Do get some rider and track training. Too many guys die cause they don't know how to react in an emergency. Swerving, proper braking, proper cornering and general bike-sense (especially since you'll be commuting) are things you need to be taught. And I'm not talking about some random bar talk about bikes.

Good luck and let us know what you decide on in the end.

g6civcx
06-29-2008, 05:20 AM
The K8 600 and 750 gixxers also have the suzuki mode selector switch which would make it ideal if you are starting out as well.

So get the 750 and start off on C mode. That way you will have a fairly "civil" introduction and as your skills improve you can work your way up to A mode. The modern 750 gixxer is about as quick as the older generation R1's so it's by no means a "small" bike. And it comes in that fantastic burnt orange.:bigok:

I've said this in every post but here goes again. Do get some rider and track training. Too many guys die cause they don't know how to react in an emergency. Swerving, proper braking, proper cornering and general bike-sense (especially since you'll be commuting) are things you need to be taught. And I'm not talking about some random bar talk about bikes.

A lot of Euro-spec bikes have mode selectors to curtail excessive power for new riders. Unfortunately most of those features don't carrry over to the power-hungry US market.

sac
06-29-2008, 09:12 AM
I would not buy a BRAND new bike for your first bike. I would get a used bike for 3-4k and get comfortable riding. IF you are already comfortable riding or dont care. You might want to check into Ducati. Expensive.. Sure.. But they ARE worth it in my opinion.. the recently discontinued..999r or 999s are fuckin bad ass machines...

But of the list i chose the cbr... gorgeous..

Modrified
06-30-2008, 03:07 AM
this here is my opinion and from experience. you'll probably not going to take it because deep inside you know which bike to get.

when i first got into bikes, the first ones i look at are the 1000cc bikes and above - and yes including the hayabusa. Because haha they are the top bikes to get, and ego kinda played into it to. 1000cc bikes are too much if you never riden one before. if you get the hang of it very quickly then kudos for you i guess. start with a used bike. you might think it will be very unlikely for you to drop it, but the chances of you dropping it are actually pretty good. if you're into going fast, 600cc bikes can go very fast.

starting at a lower cc is a very good idea. but sometimes people get used to it pretty fast and would go to a higher cc pretty quickly. best thing to do is go to bike dealers and get on the bikes or better yet if you have friends that let you try them that would be the best to go. hope you get the bike that you like. good luck.

an_orange_s2k
07-01-2008, 01:14 PM
if i had a choice id get a yamaha. the r6 raven is the hottest bike out rite now in the states. just be careful bro.
http://www.zilvia.net/f/images/statusicon/wol_error.gifThis image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 800x600 and weights 110KB.http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/slideeight6/535671gotrka9ej3.jpg

the raven is sex on 2 wheels...

nismo tuned s14
07-01-2008, 03:33 PM

well my price range for a bike is around 4k. so if i got anything bigger than the 250r it will have to be used. i think a used cbr600 wouldnt be that bad.

jsasrsr
07-05-2008, 02:35 AM
please for your own good, dont buy a ducati or another italian bike.. sure they are great...............when they run! my first and only bike was a used ducati that i thought i got the best deal ever on... damn it was an 03, and it would never start... always stalled, especially in heavy traffic for some reason, and repairs are more than ridiculous...

cant go wrong with a ninja or possibly a gixxer, although EVERYONE has one..possibly even an r6.. stay away from honda.

tulsa240sx
07-05-2008, 01:06 PM
my best friend just bought an 07 cbr600rr and I can tell you that bike is fast and handles amazing I had an r6 but sold it die to funds for the 240, but once my 240 is complete and I look at getting a new bike im gonna look at the 07' and up cbr600rr, they are the fastest bike in its class and they handle amazingly. thats what I have to say and ps I would take it over an r6 any day

blu808
07-06-2008, 02:04 AM
Buy whatever the fuck you want. Its your money. Any of those bikes will blow your mind with their performance. some more than others, but as long as you have the one you want, you will be happy with it.

norbac
07-06-2008, 11:22 AM
what are the insurance costs on these bikes?

downshift_sideways
07-06-2008, 01:33 PM
why do people think that 08 models are the best in overall performance?

I had the opputunity to get all those bikes listed.

I chose a 2002 Honda 954RR.

blu808
07-06-2008, 11:47 PM
After owning many many bikes, and including a 05 r1, a 02 r6, a built zx7r, cbr900rr, 2 cbr 929rrs, etc.

I can honestly say the 929rr was the best on the street for fun factor, power delivery, and ease of killing yourself.

On the track is another story though.

downshift_sideways
07-06-2008, 11:49 PM
^Yea.

Very true. I have nothing but positive comments regaurding the 929rr.

Great power delivery mid range!

Hows the r1? Lets ride!

skeet skeet.

blu808
07-08-2008, 12:24 AM
Im down for a ride. You should roll down to my shop, then we could ride around the mountains.

What are you riding now anyways?

downshift_sideways
07-08-2008, 12:43 AM
2002 Honda CBR 954RR.

I'll be worked this whole week at the construction site...and with parting out my coupe.

Next week we'll go ride...and eat afterwards.

Drew you in?

blv2xlr8
07-08-2008, 06:04 PM
I debated getting the daytona 675. I love the exposed frame and it reminds of the ducatis.

Hatemy7
07-09-2008, 01:17 PM
I have an 2006 R6 50th anniversary Limited Edition...

If its your first bike, i would recommend a ninja 250, looks good and gets pretty gas mileage...You are looking at 1000's and that is a very very bad idea, wich can only lead to you getting hurt or you killing urself...

But if you had to choose, I would wait for 2009 R1, wich is redone, stronger and faster ... Its already creating the buzz that it will out do the honda cbr 1000...

SR_Elliott24
07-10-2008, 04:38 AM
Some people just need to learn the hard way :duh:

Hell yeah. My friend got a hayabusa for his first bike. Crashed it twice within 2 months of each other.

rb25_s13*CHUKI
07-10-2008, 08:23 PM
2002 Honda CBR 954RR.

I'll be worked this whole week at the construction site...and with parting out my coupe.

Next week we'll go ride...and eat afterwards.

Drew you in?

I'll be down for a ride when i get my bike.. Everything was going good using my friends 250 but he took it to school cause his car broke so he came and picked it up.. Next thing i know I'm getting a call from him telling me to pick him up at the hospital. He got cut off by a g35 and he went over a lane and a car speeding clipped him, so the bike is done. He can't even drive his 240 anymore, Not for like 3 months! I've done lots of research and thinking.. I think I'm gonna pick up a 08 Kawi zx-6r. Hear lots of good things about it and i really like the styling, Hear it's nice and stable for the street.. If i don't get a 08 I'm gonna get a 04 Gixxer 750.. So yea ill be down for a ride up in nor-cal, I'm gonna be going up there alot seeing as that's where my Lady is:hsdance:

downshift_sideways
07-10-2008, 08:34 PM
werd playa.

(510)712-9688

Holla when your up north.

thats a longggg ride...get an ipod setup or something to keep you company.

noname7198
07-10-2008, 08:57 PM
I sold my R1 last month. That bike was awesome. I really miss it, but for some reason I thought I needed 2 s13's...

posdriftin
07-11-2008, 09:41 AM
i just bought 01 f4i for 2k... ok bike to start on..

Hatemy7
07-11-2008, 12:11 PM
i just bought 01 f4i for 2k... ok bike to start on..

damm right, one of my all time fav bikes.. that bike came with the passenger seat if im correct, and the tourque that monster carries is bad ass for a small bike...GL and dont forget to respect the bike..

rb25_s13*CHUKI
07-11-2008, 02:16 PM
werd playa.

(510)712-9688

Holla when your up north.

thats a longggg ride...get an ipod setup or something to keep you company.

Fo sho!! Yea it's going to be a long ass ride.. The first time my back and legs will be sore as fuck,balls probly numb but i will get used to it after like 3-5 times.. Ill probly be stuck in riding position the first time hahaha. A few friends of mine have a bet going around that i won't get a bike cause they think my lady has me :whip::whip: She said i can't get one:rofl::rofl:.. So I'm gonna win like $60. I'm already getting a ipod set-up.. Mixture of music.. Trance,techno,electro,All sorts of rock,couple rap songs ye know

downshift_sideways
07-11-2008, 07:37 PM
Hahaha.

I got a friend who's mom said..if he gets a bike he's getting kicked outta the house.

His girlfriend also says, if he gets a bike she's leaving his ass.

fail! lmao.

my balls always get numb after 30 mins of riding.

rb25_s13*CHUKI
07-11-2008, 09:05 PM
Hhaha my mom just said she will sabotage it if it's ever on her property..:-/.. I gotta hurry and get another job! First pay check I'm going down to berts mega mall and picking up meh bike:mephfawk:.I could get it now but i would be out of money in a few months(Extra savings i have left over) That's what I'm living off of right now:wiggle::cool:

noname7198
07-12-2008, 07:34 AM
My mom also said I couldn't live at home if I bought a bike. When I got my first bike I made a deal with her, I agreed to go to church with her on Sunday's and pray for safety. I've now had 3 bikes, never crashed (which is impressive considering all the really stupid stuff I used to do). Also, I met a pretty cute girl there last summer...