PDA

View Full Version : Blown Piston Rings

Powerzen2002
09-28-2002, 03:45 PM
Hey, doesn anyone know what a ball park figure is on a new piston ring(s) ... i dunno what to do!

Do i just sell this thing before it just goes.  I mean, its a 90 240 KZ with 59,000 miles.  But its eating up oil and burning it.

GRRrr I only got this car less than a year ago!

icer
09-28-2002, 04:59 PM
i don't think the piston rings are the expensive part, its the work, you might as well rebuild the entire engine. I'm wondering how bad you beat on this car if the rings are bad at 59,000. On my second '91 the rings didn't go bad until 130,000 and my first one is still good after 108,000.

chickenmanq
09-28-2002, 07:47 PM
Do you have a locking gas cap?  Perhaps someone was mean enough to put sugar in your tank.  That'll eat rings.

Powerzen2002
09-29-2002, 02:45 AM
Yanno, its possible!  No I DO NOT beat on my car, in fact I take pretty fukin good care of it.  Synthetic oil changes ever 2,500 - 3K, change trani fluids every 6 months, I do a basic tuneup like every 15-18K, Fuel injector clean out yearly, ... that is only the basic pennies.

Anyway ... I dunno what to do!  I mean, I have a side guy that iwll do the work for half.  What you guys think they would get in a shop?  Is it more than 5 hours labor ya think?

This guy did my whole timing chain .. guides and tensiors for only 300 bucks!  Nissan wanted about 600-700 dollars!

Thanks.

P.S.  I wanna get a compression test to be sure, but definately something with the pistons or rings.  Why else would it eat oil and blow grey'ish/black smoke on hard launch? (Not to mention all the carbon dust on my rear bumper).

icer
09-29-2002, 10:17 AM
if your burning oil it would be bluish white smoke and that would not cause carbon dust that means that your car is running rich. and all I was saying was piston rings just don't go especially at 60,000 miles. and i think it would definatly be more than a 5 hour job they gotta take the whole engine apart basically.

bbp
09-29-2002, 10:50 AM
if you have bad rings the car would not run very smoothly.  It would tend to stumble a bit.   I would check mixture first.  Second do a compression check before tearing it down.  Could be valve stem seals, or evena a bent valve?

Powerzen2002
09-29-2002, 12:19 PM
Could be valve stem seals, or evena a bent valve?

I was thinking bad valve seals myself, but DID NOT know how
to check this out. And did not think that bad valve stem seals could allow the engine to burn up oil like that.

How do I check something like this to make sure? I know the valves are accessible right on top soon as your take off the cam cover. I will goto pep boys or straus and pick up the tools to do the checking before I bring it to a crook of a mechanic to do the work. I know the valves I can play with my self though. Thanks guys for the replys.

P.S. I just called around for the valve stem seals and there all asking me "which ones", what do I do? How would I know if there the intake or the exhaust ones? Grrrrr...  Oh and where are they located?  THAnks

hurleyboi514
09-29-2002, 01:14 PM
yah, my engines on its last leg.  its got 175k miles, and the odemotor only works 1/2 the time so its got more than that.  my numbers were: 140, 130, 135, 145.  all below minimum.  i plan on rebuilding it (or having it done), what can i do to make it fast?  ive got 2 exaust cams already, i wont do another cam upgrade for al ittle while.  i heard i can use SOHC pistons, but are they a direct fit?  and i may shave the head a little.  anything else, more advice or something?

stil bil
09-29-2002, 02:08 PM
try this out (http://www.flatlanderracing.com/nissanenginekits2.html)

Powerzen2002
09-29-2002, 03:14 PM
What should the compressoin numbers be on a 90 240 KA24E?  I am hoping that it is only my valve stem seals. I dont know where to start or if its even them.  Here aer my syptoms again:

- Black smoke on hard launch
- eating oil

thats it.  what else should I notice if its piston rings?  Its not running shitty or anything ... maybe a little hard on shifting, but I need to flush my trani fluids this week.

I DONT KNOW WHAT to do.