PDA

View Full Version : Tdc??

eastcoastS14
06-12-2007, 02:17 PM
replacing my HG so I need to set my engine to TDC...already have my 27mm socket and now Im wondering if its possible to set the engine to TDC without removing the radiators and fans etc because I was under the impression that you use a 27mm socket and a breaker bar to turn the crank pulley to line up with the marks but it doesnt seem like i could get to it without removing the fans and radiator...someone help me out

<///><
06-12-2007, 02:22 PM
Remove the parts first. It will save you the risk of breaking something.

benefitx
06-12-2007, 02:26 PM
yeah they are easy to take off , 2 bolts for the shroud and 4 for the fan.

sbanzer123
06-12-2007, 02:34 PM
i moved mine to tdc when i was doing a leakdown test with everything on.

eastcoastS14
06-12-2007, 02:37 PM
^^ howd yo manage that?

also it looks like the fan shrowd is held on by 4 bolts 2 on top 2 on the bottom

Im also trying this with a 27mm deep socket...idk if a regular one would make a difference, its all they had at autozone tho

projectRDM
06-12-2007, 05:14 PM
Go from under the car, no need to remove anything.

eastcoastS14
06-12-2007, 05:35 PM
ok I will try that..

next question: how do you get the front timing cover off? I took out all the bolts and i tried to use a small pry bar to get it loose but no luck...I was thinking flat head screwdriver and a hammer but i dont want to fuck anything up...should I just go ahead and do it?

projectRDM
06-12-2007, 09:12 PM
Why are you pulling it for a HG? No need to.

The oil pickup sits down in the pan, so you have to drop the pan to clear it.

eastcoastS14
06-12-2007, 11:24 PM
fuck im confused...so Im not supposed to pull the upper front timing cover to change a headgasket?

"The oil pickup sits down in the pan, so you have to drop the pan to clear it."

^^ someone explain this

eastcoastS14
06-13-2007, 12:17 AM
anyone?? mssglth

benefitx
06-13-2007, 12:47 AM
so your changing your HG? yeah you dont need to take off the front cover...just the head...take off all the headbolts in order per FSM...then there will be 2 outer bolts , one in the back right of the engine and one under the CAS...then there will be 2 inner bolts in the front of the engine...take off your head , put in headgasket and put the head back on.

eastcoastS14
06-13-2007, 01:32 AM
still confused but to make sure we are on the same page.. this is the front cover I was talking about

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w166/maxlopes/timingcover.jpg

^^ now according to my FSM on EM 15 it says you have to remove the cam sprocket cover in order to remove the idler sprocket bolt behind it...is this correct?

projectRDM
06-13-2007, 09:23 AM
That is the upper timing cover, simply remove all the bolts securing it and pry it off, it's RTVed on and will be a little tight from years of heat. Your wording of "front timing cover" indicated the lower cover/oil pump.

The FSM clearly shows the removal procedure. Nine bolts, three M6s and six M8s.

benefitx
06-13-2007, 11:10 AM
o i thought u had an SR :(

KrazyZenki
06-13-2007, 11:40 AM
While you have the head off you might want to take it down to a machine shop and have it cleaned. Looks like there is a lot of miles on that engine. And not to insult your intelligence just a few tips Ive learned; with the cams make sure you hang them by the sprocket when you get them out some people lay them down but cams are really soft and just there own weight can cause them to warp. Keep everything organized, put the cam cap bolts with there respective cam caps, make sure you keep tension on the timing chain when pulling the cams so it doesnt move and you end up slipping a tooth(need a buddy for this), and go to the local autozone and pick up some permatex copper spray for your headgasket. It basically fills in any impurities that the headgasket could have and I believe it really helps that hg seal properly. Again not an insult to your intelligence just some things Ive learned from doing hg swaps.

steve shadows
06-13-2007, 12:09 PM
now according to my FSM on EM 15 it says you have to remove the cam sprocket cover in order to remove the idler sprocket bolt behind it...is this correct?

god i hate ka's sr's are so much easier

but yeah

eastcoastS14
06-13-2007, 12:16 PM
ok only other question is when people say keep the chain from hopping a link or tie it off to something or whatever are they talking about the upper timing chain or the lower because in the FSM it tells you to go by the timing chain removal procedure which tells you to completely remove the upper timing chain

projectRDM
06-13-2007, 02:44 PM
Here's what I do, if it helps, because you're killing us all.

Remove the cam sprockets completely, and then the cams. Pull the idler sprocket from the head and remove the upper chain. It doesn't matter if you jump a hundred teeth, you have to reset the timing anyway.
Now with the head off, holding tension on the idler sprocket, rotate the engine to TDC. You can physically see the piston and match it to the timing mark so you know it's dead on. Now reassemble as you would, resetting the upper chain and cams back to TDC after you put the head on.

This whole theory of setting it beforehand is stupid since you're pulling everything on the top end anyway. The only reason I could see this useful is if you had someone hold the cams, chain, and idler sprocket all together and kept it aligned while you did the cleaning, scraping, and new gasket installation. But he'd be holding it all for a minimum of 30 minutes, more likely an hour or so, plus getting the head off with the cams in the way is that much more work.

Also another tip for anyone reading this, you can pull the head with the upper portion of the intake manifold still attached a LOT easier. Leave the lower half sitting in the car, and while it's separated remove the two (2) M8 studs on either end of the plenum and replace them with bolts. Now you can remove the lower portion, the plenum, without having to remove the alternator or oil filter to gain clearance because it doesn't have to drop down an inch to pass the studs.

I'll take a pic if need be, my head is off right now anyway, but it will be a few days. I don't work during the week after Wednesday anymore.

eastcoastS14
06-13-2007, 03:00 PM
hey thanks that clears things up a lot....I fail at things like this and I appreciate you guys helping me through it and taking the time to read my retarded posts...trying to learn and its easier not having to go it alone so thanks again

benefitx
06-13-2007, 11:16 PM
i'll just pull the whole engine cause im cool like that

(probably will get neg repped for saying that, i can see them coming now)