PDA

View Full Version : infamous KA ticking sound

Kaotik25
10-16-2006, 12:02 PM
so i've done some searching and i'm sure my KA has the ticking bug...start my car cold this morning the ticking/ rattling ( more like chain is slapping against the cover..rattles) starts..i swear i thought shits in my car was flying all around under the valve cover..then it continues throughout the whole RPM range...so is this the symptom of chain guide broken?? or something else? do i need to replace the guide or im kool with taking it off completely? Why does the "ticking"/ rattling continues at high RPM?? ...any help is appreciated....

*dunt flame me i didnt find a feasible solution, thus im bring it back for future references too*

:werd:

Projectenzo
10-16-2006, 12:18 PM
listen to the engines timimg cover right at the front of the engine, if you hear a rattling sound, chances are is your timing chain tensioner is bad and if thats the case it may very well be destrying your chain guide, don't worry yourself though it happens to the best of us. Just plan on spending about a day screwing with it. EASY fix!

Kaotik25
10-16-2006, 12:52 PM
listen to the engines timimg cover right at the front of the engine, if you hear a rattling sound, chances are is your timing chain tensioner is bad and if thats the case it may very well be destrying your chain guide, don't worry yourself though it happens to the best of us. Just plan on spending about a day screwing with it. EASY fix!

thanks for the help. I just listened to it and yeah it's a rattling sound... problem---> timing chain tensioner. result---> new tensioner and guide and new chain? are these expensive? i dont wanna go to the dealer and get PWN3D.

MOUNTAINGARAGE
10-16-2006, 01:15 PM
thanks for the help. I just listened to it and yeah it's a rattling sound... problem---> timing chain tensioner. result---> new tensioner and guide and new chain? are these expensive? i dont wanna go to the dealer and get PWN3D.

the parts are not that bad, but if you do not know what your are doing, or have somebody to help you that has done it before, I would take it somewhere to get done.

THEN, you have to factor in, do you want a patch job, or go ahead and put a new upper gasket set, head resurface/valve job/valve guides, front main seal, water pump, etc. all things to consider....really depends on the mileage and if ur gonna keep it.

you can get a used engine/longblock for the price that you are gonna spend on the old one...lol

this is what I hate about fixing up old cars :hammer: but I love it....

articdragon192
10-16-2006, 01:30 PM
The guides are done and probably moving around in there. Remove them and whatever is lkeft of them. Do it yourself. Here's a guide.
http://garage.projectraine.com/

aznpoopy
10-16-2006, 01:54 PM
is it a ka24e or a ka24de
i'm guessing its sohc because it says 89 in your sig

ka24de = easy, remove chain guides, check tensioner
ka24e = slightly bigger pain in the ass

Kaotik25
10-17-2006, 09:17 AM
thanks. With the help of my best friend (FSM), this weekend im going to open the cover and see what i can do. :)