PDA

View Full Version : Fuel system cleaning

shayrgob240
10-04-2006, 06:50 PM
So, I work at Sears auto where my boss always stresses fuel system cleaning b/c it's profitable. Well, he says that you check the Throttle body and see if it's dirty, and if it is, then the car needs a fuel system cleaning.

However, I am not sure if this is entirely true, or is it? From my understanding, TB's and intake manifolds get dirty b/c of the EGR and the gases going back into the intake.

What do u guys think? Is it ok to tell customers that they need a fuel system cleaning when all they really need is something much simpler to clean out the residue?

mrmephistopheles
10-04-2006, 08:16 PM
To be honest, it's a matter of scruples.
Some folks don't care about the customer and just want to make as much money as they can. Some folks remember what it's like to be on the other side of the counter, and only recommend what really needs fixing.

Ultimately, if the service is being performed, the safety or performance of the car is improved, and the customer is happy it doesn't matter what you do.

Just don't fabricate work. That is, something like cutting open CV boots on a car that's in for an oil change, and recommending the service. That's illegal and malicious.

As far as that specific issue is concerned, I'd say charge the customer for a can of brake cleaner (or carb cleaner) and 1/4 hour of labor for you to clean the throttle body of gunk. Fuel systems generally don't get 'dirty'. Injectors that pass low quality gas will get a little clogged sometimes, and if a car is missing or sputtering (or otherwise getting poor fuel economy), I'd recommend it.

Your boss is just trying to get you to sell customers on a low-cost high-paying job, because there's alot of profit in it. It's his job to make the store profitable, but he won't lose it if his mechanics are unscrupulous.

irritatedmax
10-05-2006, 09:14 AM
i work at a quick lube (not jiffy) and we offer the entire line of BG products (if you haven't heard of BG, then you are missing out). we do induction cleaning, injection cleaning and gas tank additives as an entire kit. to get to the point, there have been some cars that come in that we do the whole sha-bang on and makes them drive like new. customers are always saying it feels like their car has more power/drives better afterward. i was a skeptic at first but, i got to do the whole kit on my car for free when i started working there so they could "prove" the benefits and afterward it was a night and day difference. i was totally shocked by the improved performace. but as mrmeph said not all people need it, so use your disgression.

carbon build up on the throttle body is just an indication (usually a good one) of what it looks like in the intake plenum.