PDA

View Full Version : Energy suspension bushing install in the REAR

Skyline0586
03-08-2006, 09:03 PM
This refers to the ES master bushing set...

Ok got everything out wit the sawzall and torch method and worked out great for the most part (this install is HELL). Right now i have the rear toe links, control arm, and those other few little arms out of the car and i cant seem to press the bushings in. The little "neck" on the bushings make it REALLy hard to press in. Anyone know of a way to do this without the use of a 12ton press which costs me money to press in 16 total bushings (both sides)

Kouki
03-08-2006, 10:14 PM
Put the bushings in the freezer for a few hours, the material will contract slightly, and they will be much easier to slide in.

projectRDM
03-08-2006, 10:18 PM
I always use a vice and a large socket. Takes about 10 minutes to do all the rear bushings.

Angel
03-09-2006, 07:58 AM
Or you can use a long threaded bolt with a nut to match and a pair of washers. Run it through the center of the bushing with washers on either end.... and start to tighten it.

whooha1217
03-09-2006, 09:53 AM
I always use a vice and a large socket. Takes about 10 minutes to do all the rear bushings.

i've try the vice with socket... they didnt work well for me....

Skyline0586
03-09-2006, 11:10 AM
its kinda hard wit the vice and socket because when i start pressing it down, due to the "neck", it doesnt go down straight, it starts leaning sideways and such im sure u know what i mean

Skyline0586
03-09-2006, 04:28 PM
help!!!!!!!!!

krustindumm
03-09-2006, 05:22 PM
IIRC one side is tapered to make them go in easier.

Did you take the outer bushing sleeve out?

Skyline0586
03-09-2006, 07:01 PM
yes the inner sleeves are out, hmm i didnt notice the taper. any other tips? does freezing them really help?

Jung918
03-10-2006, 09:00 AM
I just got a 6" bench vise. Just keep going at it. I know sometimes one side will not line up right. Just keep going at it. At the end it will pop out.

SimpleSexy180
03-10-2006, 02:08 PM
^ yeup. put some muscle into it.

Skyline0586
03-10-2006, 02:29 PM
jung i think u got it mixed up im trying to install the bushing not get the bushing out. I already got the bushings out, but looks like installing the bushing is harder than getting it out. i tried again i cant get it, when i try to press the bushing in, it will just slant one way once it gets compressed down too hard and i see no signs of it going in. The neck of the bushing is too big and polyurethane doesnt flex easily enough to get in there. any tips??? Note: this is for the rear hub bushing kit. the rest of the bushings were easy to get in. these arent

krustindumm
03-10-2006, 05:36 PM
leave the metal sleeve out, they will go right in.

Skyline0586
03-10-2006, 09:39 PM
well sorry guys i decided to compromise...i split all the rear bushings in half with a hacksaw and put them in that way. i put them all in and went for a test drive, all seems well and when i bolted everything up, the bushings were pressed in pretty firm between the arms.

infinitexsound
03-10-2006, 11:06 PM
u might wanna lube up the bushing with a touch of oil before pressing them in, makes it alot easier...

Skyline0586
03-10-2006, 11:23 PM
i think we all know to do that come on now..haha..unless u want endless squeaking

fuzzy_tanit
03-11-2006, 01:16 AM
hey any tip i need to know about removing them?
i am doing my this weekend so got my finger cross

Skyline0586
03-11-2006, 10:02 AM
if u wnat a complete walk thru, AIM me at InSaNe0586. If you just need info on removing the rear hub, here ill try to give u as much info as possible:

follow the insructions on dismantling the rear area EXCEPT on removing the 1-7/16 nut (i believe its a 1 7/16). Its the really big nut that holds the rear axles to the hub. Otherwise remove all 3 arms and disconnect the shock.

get the three arms u removed from each side and get a propane torch from walmart (it cost me like 12 bux). 1 bottle is more than enough. Ok start by burning the rubber off both sides of the arms and when a lot of the rubber is seeping out, get a hammer and whack the inner sleeve out ("metal rod"). after u do this, burn as much of the rubber off as u can. Then get a hacksaw or sawzall (something to cut metal) and start sawing the inner sleeve. Look closely and you'll notice theres a inner sleeve which looks like it'll never come out. Grab some WD-40 and spray around it so it can eat up some of the rust. Once you have sawed through ONLY the inner sleeve (make sure its split) grab your propane torch again and heat up the inner sleeve for atleast 10 minutes moving SLOWLY. once that's done find a socket that will fit inside and touches only the inner sleeve. Grab a hammer and whack the socket like ur swinging a baseball bat and eventually the inner sleeve will slide out the bottom. Do this for all 16 bushings in rear.

Once everythings out, grease up all the bushings, ID of the bushings and ID of the arms, basically grease ANYWHERE the bushing and metal will touch or else you'll get squeeks. Now this is up to you. I'm a type of person who hates paying for labor. Getting the rear bushings in is damn near impossible unless u have a table vice from what theyre telling me on this thread or have a machine shop do this for you and pay close to $100 in labor. What i did is saw the bushings in half and put them in that way, i test drove the car and there is no problem because the bushings are "sandwiched" in there by the arms. Once you put both sides of the bushings in like i did, put the metal rod in there as best as u can with ur arms and then have someone simply stand on it and it will slide in. Have someone help you with this job. i only had 1 person help me and it worked out fine. Have a torque wrench ready that can torque up to 110ftlbs. Get the FSM by searching and look up the torque specs for the rear suspension. Time consuming if youre doing the entire hyperflex kit but well worth it! All my old bushings were completely destroyed or ripped.

fuzzy_tanit
03-11-2006, 01:52 PM
so there is a inner sleeve on ALL of the joints?
the instruction said there's only 3 on each side

Skyline0586
03-27-2006, 05:39 PM
there is more than 3 on each side. i think its8 on each side

fuzzy_tanit
03-28-2006, 01:16 AM
i finished my a few weeks ago.
i can "force" the smaller bushing in but the the larger one(4) on the lower control arm was impossible for me so i cut down the milddle with a razor so no material is lost and slip each end right in.

feedback: i installed these with tanabe ruca and toe arm and realigned it.
the back is now very reponsive. less muchie. I like it alot. it dont exact feel stiffer.

overall is great but i just hate the install took way too long.

godrifttoday
02-24-2011, 12:50 AM
sorry to bring this thread up from the dead, but im having the same problem anyone install them without cutting the bushing down the middle? i have a 12 ton press, but just as described bushing slides to the side... thanks!

ManoNegra
02-24-2011, 08:22 AM
vice, lube and plenty of patience
goes a lot faster once you get the knack for it
never had to use the arbor press to do this

eyeball the bushing straight
go slow with the press
have friend use a flathead or similar to push
the bushing into the bore and keep it from squirming out

niscur29
02-25-2011, 06:33 PM
Just got done doing this with a 4" bench vise and it took 20 mins to do the entire set in the rear. Lube the inside of the arms, lube the outside of the bushing, put in vice and squeeze. They sometimes get a little deformed on the way in but they popped right into shape as they go through. Lube up the center piece and then the vise to press that in too. I was about to cut them but said fuck it and they went fine.

FYI, they should have one side that has a chamfer to help on the way in.