PDA

View Full Version : SR20DET, CALI, and smog question

djkev
03-04-2006, 04:03 PM
Hi there, I'm new to the site and looking to get a 240 soon. I live in Cali and was wondering how the SR20DET would pass California Smog emissions. I've seen alot of 240 with the SR swaps and kinda interested in one. My last car was a C43 AMG that had a 5.4L motor swapped in from a E55 AMG. Never had problems smoging that car just because it looked totally stock and have same emissions. I really want a 240, but kinda worried about maintenance, and finding parts for the SR. I've been reading up on this forum but any help would be greatly appreciated

Ricks15
03-04-2006, 04:11 PM
Welcome!!! "to the greatest place on earth Zilvia"

ALTRNTV
03-04-2006, 04:28 PM
looking to get a 240 soon.

I really want a 240

Don't get one.

I've been reading up on this forum

No you haven't. If you had been, you'd know SR's don't pass smog in Cali, and are illegal.

SEARCH!

bimmerlover
03-04-2006, 04:35 PM
It passes visual and sniffer just fine.

ALTRNTV
03-04-2006, 04:44 PM
http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=62177&highlight=california+smog

http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=18294&highlight=california+smog

Sniffer, yes, if you're lucky and install it right. Visual... good luck.

bimmerlover
03-04-2006, 04:48 PM

YAY for sarcasm!!11!

Here's your answer right here. Thread done.

:lockd:

ALTRNTV
03-04-2006, 04:53 PM
He'll probably ask a bunch of other questions...

AFSil80
03-04-2006, 05:50 PM
To the new guy:

Run while you still can! :rawk:

midnite_180
03-04-2006, 08:07 PM
No you haven't. If you had been, you'd know SR's don't pass smog in Cali, and are illegal.

mine did and so did my friends and it was the right way not the pay like $300 for it to pass, so dont post rong info if you dont know what your talking about.

ALTRNTV
03-04-2006, 08:13 PM

Read again, buddy.

*wrong*

*you're*

bimmerlover
03-04-2006, 08:39 PM
mine did and so did my friends and it was the right way not the pay like $300 for it to pass, so dont post rong info if you dont know what your talking about.

That's one way to pass: take your car to a shop in the boondocks where the hicks don't know what engine they're looking at.

OdessaS13
03-04-2006, 08:52 PM
It passes visual and sniffer just fine

lol, but only if the smog technician is blind
hasnt this question been beaten to death like...well you know what i mean

ALTRNTV
03-04-2006, 09:01 PM
lol, but only if the smog technician is blind

YAY for sarcasm!!11!

Message length.

HyperTek
03-04-2006, 09:05 PM
Smog is the easy part, you gotta know people who know dirty shops.. but anyways, i got owned last week.. pulled over and got hood popped by police.. hopefully I can make payments on the fine =(

fliprayzin240sx
03-05-2006, 11:38 AM
k heres my question bout this...I wanna know facts and personal experiences for people who got SRs and got popped in cali. Ive heard people say that they got away by just paying the fines, and they didnt have to get their cars impounded/swap back to KAs. Are there any facts to this or is that complete BS? i wanna hear court/ref stories...

drift freaq
03-05-2006, 11:46 AM
Smog is the easy part, you gotta know people who know dirty shops.. but anyways, i got owned last week.. pulled over and got hood popped by police.. hopefully I can make payments on the fine =(
damn that blows where were you?

ankyle62
03-05-2006, 06:53 PM
it will pass sniffer, but not visual. why do you need a sr anyway? ka is fine.

djkev
03-06-2006, 12:18 AM

See that's what worries me... I think I'll stick to the KA engine and turbo it. I know its a "truck" engine, but do u think putting a turbo on one with 150k miles is asking for trouble? Not really looking for crazy numbers, but something a little more then stock. BTW I'm coming from a C43 w. an E55 swap. So I'm totally new to the 240 scene.

djkev
03-06-2006, 12:19 AM

See that's what worries me... I think I'll stick to the KA engine and turbo it. I know its a "truck" engine, but do u think putting a turbo on one with 150k miles is asking for trouble? Not really looking for crazy numbers, but something a little more then stock. BTW I'm coming from a C43 w. an E55 swap. So I'm totally new to the 240 scene.

Thanks for the info guys and I'll keep reading and doing my homework. Hopefully I don't ask too many questions that have been asked a zillion times before

bimmerlover
03-06-2006, 01:32 AM
Mileage doesn't play the majority of the decision to turbocharge a KA or not. As said many times before, if your engine has been treated like garbage the last decade then you know what to expect when under more stress by a turbo. However, if the mileage is high but has been treated like a queen (as it should be), by then all means, turbocharge it. If it blows, then pick up another KA; no big loss. Hell, my engine has almost 160K and I'm turbocharging it this month because I know my engine is good, as shown by a compression test. And if what you want is "a little more than stock," then this is what you need:
~ T25 turbo from S13 SR20DET
~ SMIC from S13 SR20DET
~ 370cc side-feed fuel injectors from SR20DET
~ Turbo manifold for KA
~ Downpipe
~ JWT ECU (or some other type of tuning)
~ Oil line/pan kit
~ Blow-off valve

That should land you in the 200hp mark. Go to www.ka-t.org for more info on turbocharging the KA. And I'm only answering your questions because you're a local.

i8yourfwd
03-06-2006, 03:33 AM
Quick question, why would you downgrade from a Mercedes to a 240sx?

Yeah, search button is your friend. Zilvia.net doesn't take kindly to people who've asked questions that have been answered numerous times.

S14DB
03-06-2006, 04:55 AM
SEARCH!
+1 :lockd: