PDA

View Full Version : Smog Question

i8yourfwd
01-15-2006, 03:04 PM
Will my SR pass smog? hah no jk It's not one of those threads, here's my question:

I bought my car June 2005, of course I had to have it smogged then. I re-registered my car November 2005 and I didn't have to smog. I'm trying to figure out if I'm going to have to smog this year or not.

I've heard since the last digit of my licence plate is an odd number I won't have to smog this year. Doesn't make much sence to me, but that's what I've heard.

My thinking is, since I didn't smog when I re-registered last year, I AM due for a smog this year. But does the smog that I did last year when I bought the car count for that year's smog? Thus making me NOT have to smog this year?

Sounds a bit confusing, but any info would be great. Would I be able to just call the DMV and ask them if I'm due for smog this year?

P.S. Is this in the right section? I put it here because other places of the USA have different smog laws. I'm located in CA. So any information from CA people would be great.

kazuo
01-15-2006, 03:18 PM
You will have to smog it again this year.

License plate #'s and such don't affect when you have to smog, only factors like the year of the car and when your registration date is.

Unfortunately, DMV don't care if its only been 6 mos. since your last smog; if there's been 2 "registration" years that have gone by, you need to resmog.

Ex: I registered my car in January '04 & smogged it, July '04 had to renew reg. (1yr)

July '05, I had to re-smog to register.

Hope that helps.

i8yourfwd
01-15-2006, 03:38 PM
Ok, that's what I thought. Thanks for the quick clarification Art. Will the DMV know this early in the year if I have to smog? I might as well call them also to find out.

kazuo
01-16-2006, 11:41 PM
Ok, that's what I thought. Thanks for the quick clarification Art. Will the DMV know this early in the year if I have to smog? I might as well call them also to find out.

Ya they will know, just call 'em up.

Ritz S14
01-16-2006, 11:51 PM
What month does your license plate say? If it says April, you should recieve your renewal next month. You usually recieve your notice 3 months in advanced.

i8yourfwd
01-17-2006, 03:33 AM
Says November unfortunately :( I'll just give them a call and find out. If it's this year (hopefully it is T_T)

Andrew Bohan
01-17-2006, 03:35 AM
i'm on my 4th car in california and i've never smogged any of em. go figure :rawk:

NateKim
01-17-2006, 12:31 PM
I know in georgia that if a car is 12 years old or older you don't have to smog it. Is there any type of rule like that in Cali?

Ritz S14
01-17-2006, 12:36 PM
The car has to be made on or before 1975.

i8yourfwd
01-18-2006, 04:20 PM
One more question.

The notice for renewal of registration comes three months before it expires correct? And a smog certificate is good for 90 days. So if I planned it right, I could smog a month or two early, before I get my re-registration notice. Then renew my registration ASAP, thus having my smog out of the way earlier in the year so I can go get swapped?

Ritz S14
01-18-2006, 04:27 PM
No. Cause say your cert is due on the 19th. If you smog 90 days before the actual due that, you'd have to do it again.

i8yourfwd
01-18-2006, 04:29 PM
dammit. I though I had some uber l33t plan to smog earlier thought up.. poooop...