PDA

View Full Version : new laws in cali

tripleb
01-11-2006, 10:09 PM
ok i posted this in gerneral to but got some hatin about it:fawk2:

so here are some laws i came across comming in effect soon
Motor Vehicle Speed Contests
Increases the jail time to a minimum of 30 days and a maximum of six months in jail when a person is found guilty of engaging in a motor vehicle speed contest and the driver causes injury to someone other than himself. If it is a second or subsequent offense and serious bodily injury occurs, the jail time is increased to a maximum of one year.

Pocket Bikes

Adds the definition of a "pocket bike" to the Vehicle Code.
Adds §21720 to the Vehicle Code, which makes it illegal to operate a pocket bike on a sidewalk, roadway, or any other part of a highway, or on a bikeway, bicycle path or trail, equestrian trail, hiking or recreational trail, or on public lands open to off-highway motor vehicle use.

Requires the manufacturer to provide a disclosure statement to the buyer which clearly indicates where a pocket bike cannot be operated.

Authorizes law enforcement to seize a pocket bike and hold it for 48 hours when the operator is cited for violation of Vehicle Code §21720.

Driving Under the Influence (DUI)
Allows a repeat DUI offender to obtain a restricted driver license after 12 months of the revocation and 12 months of either an 18 or 30-month DUI program if an ignition interlock device (IID) is installed on the vehicle.

Authorizes a 30-day impoundment of a vehicle when a person required to have an IID installed is found driving a vehicle without such a device.

Provisional Licensing Program
Prohibits a provisional licensee from carrying passengers under the age of 20, unless accompanied by a licensed parent/guardian, licensed/certified instructor or a licensed driver 25 years of age or older, during the first 12 months (currently six months) the driver is licensed.

Prohibits a provisional licensee from driving between the hours of 11 p.m. and 5 a.m. (currently 12 midnight and 5 a.m.).

Police Pursuits
Requires DMV to include a question in all non-commercial drivers license examinations that deals with the risks and punishments associated with evading a law enforcement vehicle.

Significantly increases fines and jail/prison time for persons who flee from law enforcement in a vehicle.

Requires law enforcement agencies to implement a police pursuit policy and to provide related training.

Motorized Scooter Driver License Requirements
(Transportation Omnibus Bill)

Adds a person with a Class M or M1 license is authorized to operate a motorized scooter

Insurance - Low Cost Policies and Evidence of Financial Responsibility
Expands the California low-cost automobile insurance pilot program created in 2000 to include Alameda, Fresno, Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino, and San Diego counties and requires these new counties to begin their programs by April 1, 2006.

Authorizes the Commissioner of the California Department of Insurance to establish the program in other counties, as appropriate.

Increases the vehicle value to $20,000 and allows two low cost policies per person.

Extends the date that vehicle owners in Los Angeles and San Francisco Counties must show evidence of financial responsibility to January 1, 2011.

Car Buyer's Bill of Rights
Requires a seller to offer the buyer the choice to purchase a two-day contract cancellation option on used vehicles with a purchase price of less than $40,000.

Creates additional disclosure requirements for the purchase of add-on items.

Limits the amount a dealer may add as extra "markup" when arranging financing.

Requires dealers to provide the buyer with the buyer's credit score and explain the meaning of that score.

Effective is July 1, 2006.

s14xman
01-11-2006, 10:20 PM
welcome to two weeks ago................http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=97993&highlight=laws

tripleb
01-11-2006, 10:29 PM
well i have not been on that long and i just came across it else where
plus i live in michigan

i was just trying to be helpful :)

jayka
01-11-2006, 11:18 PM
yea its a repost, but thanks for lookin out, it rough on zilvia becareful what you post