PDA

View Full Version : New California Traffic Laws for 2006

wingsnthangs
12-30-2005, 10:40 AM
(Reposting to facilitate future searches because I misposted.)

New traffic laws will be going in effect in the state of California as of January 1, 2006. Here are a few.....

Street Racing. AB 1325 establishes a jail term of 30 days to six months for people found guilty of engaging in motor-vehicle speed contests if the driver causes bodily injury to someone other than himself or herself.

Drunk Driving. SB 597 extends from seven years to 10 years the time period a person is ineligible for a "good-driver discount" following a conviction for drunk driving. The change complements a change last year that required DUI convictions to remain on a person's record for 10 years instead of seven.

Two other new laws strengthen law enforcement's ability to impound drunk drivers' vehicles:

* SB 207 authorizes an officer to impound the vehicle of a person with a prior DUI conviction arrested for a suspected DUI if the person has a blood- alcohol level of at least 0.10 percent or if the person refuses a chemical test.

* AB 979 authorizes an officer to impound the vehicle of a motorist violating a requirement to drive only a vehicle equipped with a functioning, certified ignition interlock device.

Other laws going into force in 2006:

Pocket Bikes. AB 1051 provides a definition of a pocket bike and requires the manufacturer to let prospective buyers know, in writing, where one may not be operated. The miniature motorcycles are illegal to ride on public streets. Also, the new law specifies that pocket bikes seized by law enforcement will be held for a minimum of 48 hours and will be released only after appropriate fees have been paid.

Car Insurance. SB 20 extends the state's low-cost automobile insurance program for qualified drivers to the year 2011 and adds six more counties where it will be available. Previously, low-cost auto insurance was available only in Los Angeles and San Francisco counties. Now, it can also be obtained in Alameda, Fresno, Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino, and San Diego counties. The law also gives the insurance commissioner the discretion to add more counties in the future.

Graduated Driver Licensing Law Strengthened. AB 1474 strengthens the existing teen licensing law by requiring teen motorists to have their licenses for one year before being allowed to drive between 11 p.m. and 5 a.m., or before being allowed to transport passengers under age 20 without an adult in the car. Even teens who have gotten their licenses before Jan. 1 will have to follow the new law if their licenses are less than one year old.

More can be found on the DMV website: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/about/leg/leginfo.htm
Play it safe this New Year's and don't be one of the first to experience the wrath of the DUI laws.

c240sx13
01-04-2006, 05:53 PM
lower rates on insurance!! thats leet

DJPimpFlex
01-04-2006, 06:13 PM
Its not whats right and its not whats wrong, its what is illegal.

hendogg8
01-04-2006, 07:32 PM
There's another new CA law that states your headlights must be on if your wipers are on.

DJPimpFlex
01-04-2006, 07:42 PM
wonderful, I hate cops.

drift freaq
01-04-2006, 08:09 PM
those new laws do not look that unreasonable. If a person is drunk they should not be driving its dangerous to you and themselves. As far as street racing goes you shouldn't do it. If you do then expect to deal with the consequence especially if you injure someone doing it. There are to many kids out street racing and killing people it happens all the time here in socal.
I also feel that until teens can prove they will drive responsibly they should expect restrictions. I know that sounds kinda tight but again to many kids that don't drive responsibly go out get drunk race, crash and kill people. If your going to get drunk, get a cab, Or have a friend who is sober drive. Last thing you want to do is spend time in Jail for vehicular manslaughter cause you were loaded.
As far as pocketbikes go , the problem with them is people cannot see them. they are so low that you can pratically run over them. Plus again there was starting to be a proliferation of pocket bike caused incidents in socal.
All of the above laws are actually decent. I have seen worse laws like the stated one that if you use your windshield wipers you need to turn your headlights on hahhahahhah. Like a cop would ever ticket you for that. He would have to be a real asshole.

Irukandji
01-04-2006, 08:18 PM
those new laws do not look that unreasonable. If a person is drunk they should not be driving its dangerous to you and themselves. As far as street racing goes you shouldn't do it. If you do then expect to deal with the consequence especially if you injure someone doing it. There are to many kids out street racing and killing people it happens all the time here in socal.
I also feel that until teens can prove they will drive responsibly they should expect restrictions. I know that sounds kinda tight but again to many kids that don't drive responsibly go out get drunk race, crash and kill people. If your going to get drunk, get a cab, Or have a friend who is sober drive. Last thing you want to do is spend time in Jail for vehicular manslaughter cause you were loaded.

Word to that :bigok:

theicecreamdan
01-04-2006, 09:22 PM
the windshield wiper law also specifies when you need to use the wipers.

I don;t remember exact distances and whatnot, but its good, it helps a lot when people turn on their headlights when its rainy, that law was effective before 2006 though, there was a 6 month period where they pulled people over and only gave them warnings, after that, it became ticketable.

projekt_s13
01-04-2006, 10:28 PM
WTF!! wierd law
I never turn my headlights on unless i cant see

AllenRPS13
01-04-2006, 10:35 PM
WTF!! wierd law

hahahaha, me too...

reccakun08
01-04-2006, 11:27 PM
sometimes i wish i lived in cali but this is more reason to not live in cali

theicecreamdan
01-04-2006, 11:41 PM
WTF!! wierd law

I really like for other people to be able to see me as easily as possible.
in my corolla I leave the headlights on all the time because they automatically turn off when I turn the car off and open the door, so its not like I will forget.

sometimes i wish i lived in cali but this is more reason to not live in cali
Planning on getting DUIs or killing people in street races anytime soon?
Or do you not like the idea of getting cheaper insurance?
None of these laws have negative consequences on anybody that doesn't deserve them.

jdm538
01-05-2006, 12:05 AM
* AB 979 authorizes an officer to impound the vehicle of a motorist violating a requirement to drive only a vehicle equipped with a functioning, certified ignition interlock device.

**what does that mean?**

wingsnthangs
01-05-2006, 01:51 PM
I really like for other people to be able to see me as easily as possible.
Me too. They also encouraged this in motorcycle safety course I took a while back.