PDA

View Full Version : Catch Can set up for NA Ka24e

s13pignose
12-11-2005, 11:26 PM
Anyone know how to properly set it up? I tried search btw

Redsunz916
12-11-2005, 11:50 PM
air inlet hook up oil catch can connect back to intake. easy 1 2 3.

s13pignose
12-12-2005, 08:45 AM
Okay, whoa you lost me a lil bit lol. See I don't quite have the car here. I plan on buying it, and if I get it, this is one of the 1st things I wanna do to keep it runin clean before doing performance stuff.

I know one end goes to the valve cover as it does on most cars, does it connect to a pcv valve or is there no valve at all? And other end goes to the lil pipe on the intake?

Is this right, or is there some 3rd connection, where I'll have to T anything off?

BTW I' think I'll be ruing a filter/maf adapter setup, any thing I need to cap off on the apadter?

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm new so it really helps

ledzeppelin240
12-12-2005, 09:37 AM
1 end to valve cover other end to intake piping. There is actually a hose that runs from the valve cover to the intake already there. So what you are doing is getting rid of tht hose and putting in the oil catch can, so you could probably use that same connection on the intake.

allmotorKA
12-12-2005, 11:00 AM
If the catch can has a vent on it, then I would not connect it to the intake. With a vented catch can, connect the valve cover vent and the PCV vent to the catch can.

s13pignose
12-12-2005, 11:51 AM
So by vent do you mean like a catch can with a breather filter on top. I know summit sells them cheap, only prob is there is only 1 inlet, but from your method it sounds like all I need. So if i don't run it back to the intake, do I just plug the intake off or something, I thought pcv system needed the filtered air?

So is it still good idea or bad idea?

Thanks

allmotorKA
12-12-2005, 01:52 PM
So by vent do you mean like a catch can with a breather filter on top. I know summit sells them cheap, only prob is there is only 1 inlet, but from your method it sounds like all I need. So if i don't run it back to the intake, do I just plug the intake off or something, I thought pcv system needed the filtered air?

So is it still good idea or bad idea?

Thanks

Yes, the breather filter on the catch can is the vent for the catch can. The catch can vent should always have a filter on it since the valve cover/crank case air pressure can be positive or negative. If you put a catch can, you want to connect both the valve cover vent and the crank case vent to it. Otherwise, if you just put the valve cover vent to the catch can and still leave the PCV valve connected to the intake manifold, you will be sucking unmetered air...its like having a vacuum leak. Remember that the valve cover "air" is connected to the crank case "air" through the timing chain front cover.

My opinion is you don't need a catch can. Spend your money on something useful.

nsn240
12-12-2005, 04:50 PM
valve cover --> catch can --> intake OR
valve cover --> catch can --> atmosphere

simple as that

s13pignose
12-12-2005, 08:48 PM
Ok so in my case it would be one end goes to the maf adapter then to the can, and the other hose goes from the can to the valve cover.

What about pcv valve, I read some where it's in a box??? I get the feeling that this is t'd of the pcv some howhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/S14DB/240sx/AirOilIn2.jpg

am I right?

s13pignose
12-12-2005, 09:06 PM
Hey all motor KA I see what your sayin know about hooking up both the pcv and the valve cover, cause both are locations from where the oil comes from right? Only question is now, how does the air get back into the system, through the vent. Cause originally it sucked in filtered air from the intake right? See this is where I'm lost now. And with this setup is the pcv still connected to the intake manifold. If you can help me get this think I should have it down packed. I know I'm slow with this, but I'm not use to 240s.

To all who who helped, thanks

s13pignose
12-13-2005, 10:13 AM
do I leave the pcv still hooked to the intake manifold doing it his way?

allmotorKA
12-13-2005, 11:10 AM
do I leave the pcv still hooked to the intake manifold doing it his way?
If you use a catch can with a breather filter, then I would connect BOTH valve cover vent and crank case vent to it. Plug the port where the intake tube was connected to the valve cover vent. Plug the port where the PCV valve was connected to the intake manifold plenum.

If you connect the valve cover vent only (without connecting the crank case vent) then the intake manifold will be sucking air through the catch can breather. Here's why: Air flows through the catch can breather, to the valve cover, through the crank case, through the PCV valve, to the intake manifold plenum, and then to your engine. Take the valve cover off and look down the timing chain...guess what...you are looking into the crank case. The crank case and valve cover area are connected by a wide gaping tunnel created by the timing chain cover. You will have a large vacuum leak. Will your car run?...yes. Is it the right way to do it?...no.

Really, I wouldn't bother putting in a catch can. Why do you want to put it in?

s13pignose
12-13-2005, 02:18 PM
OOOOOOOOOOOh okay gotcha. See I just didn't knwo if I should plug the manifold, thought so, but wasn't sure. So when I plug the manifod, how will the pcv valve function with no vac? Really having a can sorta gives me peace of mind, and I like to keep things clean and efficient as much as possible. I dunno I'm just like that, and I know it won't kill my wallet to do it lol.

Thanks alot, you've been more than helpful.

allmotorKA
12-14-2005, 12:31 AM
In your application, if you want the catch can, it might be easiest to just connect the catch can to the valve cover. Then remove the breather filter and connect a tube from the breather filter connection to the intake where the stock valve cover was connected to...sort of like the photo you posted.

s13pignose
12-14-2005, 11:00 AM
Kool thanks again for everyones help! I appreciate it it considering Im new to the board and 240's lol.