PDA

View Full Version : snow-worthless vehicles...

ranisron
12-08-2005, 12:47 PM
First off, my ignorance not reading the weather report of the day. :ugh: Snow heavily here around lunch time. Had to get transcripts for a friend. GOD DAMN

240SX is definitely one snow-worthless. Mine is stuck not so far from the school.... little inclined slope and stop sign killed my 240SX. :fawkd:

All-season tires are so worthless...

Time to dig up my U13...

skatanic28
12-08-2005, 02:14 PM
i made it through 2 or 3 ny winters without a problem.
dont drive like a retard and its fine.

Tenchuu
12-08-2005, 06:12 PM
haven's snowed the 240 yet, but my old 280Z drove like a champ in the snow. I can's stand FWD vehicles in the snow. cool for beginers, but once shit starts busting loose, a RWD vehile is veary predictable on how it will react to every input in every situation where a FWD is a shot in the dark.

wootwoot
12-08-2005, 06:50 PM
So is this going to turn into another thread just like the "240's are worthless in the rain thing" where it all comes down to the driver and not the car?

theicecreamdan
12-08-2005, 07:48 PM
actually,,, he's not saying its dangerous... his car got stuck at a stop sign... open diff owns you, not 240sx.

I took my corolla on a drive up the mountain the other day... SOOO much ice on the roads its a blast. I spun and got stuck in the snow that gets plowed to the side. but a truck saved me.

Tenchuu
12-08-2005, 08:53 PM
alhto i will conceed the cact that a quic grabbing clutch+average amount of torque+stop sighn on an up hill slant will own even the best of drivers for a bit.

Phlip
12-08-2005, 08:57 PM
alhtough I will concede the fact that a quick-grabbing clutch+average amount of torque+stop sign on an uphill slant will own even the best of drivers for a bit.
And add an open diff and the car sits for a while once it is stuck there.

zaneithan
12-08-2005, 09:28 PM
i just put mine in the garage, it made it through last winter ok for the most part (except for when there was like 6-7 inches on the road and no plow in site), i just picked up an ae86 for winter duties, gonna throw some snows on it and have fun

ranisron
12-08-2005, 10:00 PM
well, with the help of two friends and my Altima, the 240sx got back home safely. I drove the altima and pushed my 240SX on the hill...

theicecreamdan
12-08-2005, 11:23 PM
And add an open diff and the car sits for a while once it is stuck there.

5.9L 6 cylinder + big turbo + diesel = sitting truck at stop lights

ranisron
12-08-2005, 11:53 PM
are we talking about the Cummins diesel or something else ?

Too much torque??

91CRXsiR
12-08-2005, 11:56 PM
i dont know about snow but 240s are worthless in the mountains going downhill in the rain on a muddy road w/ bald tires and crappy headlights

West
12-09-2005, 12:00 AM
I lived in Denver since I could drive and owned a 240 since I was 15 and made it every year with that car, no snow tires.

Only thing you have in a 240 in a snow storm is control, not traction. Its great.

ranisron
12-09-2005, 12:07 AM
Mod, would you mind to elaborate more on that? --> Control?

I like snow - my first season driving full time with the 240SX. She got garaged last winter. My old 86 was fun to drive, until I got to the icy roads...

Only thing you have in a 240 in a snow storm is control, not traction. Its great.

skithesteel
12-09-2005, 01:55 PM
I took the 240 out in the snow today ... it was great with snow tires on it. Although it did make me regret getting a helical diff and not a clutch-type. Stopping on an incline sucks, lol.

ThatGuy
12-09-2005, 02:03 PM
Mod, would you mind to elaborate more on that? --> Control?

I like snow - my first season driving full time with the 240SX. She got garaged last winter. My old 86 was fun to drive, until I got to the icy roads...

Ok I gotta step in a little here.

First off:
Moderators -- Bold Black Titles
Administrators -- Bold Dark Red Titles
Creator and Owner of the one and only Zilvia.net -- Mark WeST

Thank you, that is all.
:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

ranisron
12-09-2005, 04:35 PM
my bad... hehe... :bowdown:

anybody else with contributions?

Ok I gotta step in a little here.

First off:
Moderators -- Bold Black Titles
Administrators -- Bold Dark Red Titles
Creator and Owner of the one and only Zilvia.net -- Mark WeST

Thank you, that is all.
:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Yuri
12-09-2005, 04:37 PM
I spent a winter in Detroit with my S13. 8" of snow on the road, and I went grocery shopping. stock ride height, all-seasons, and vlsd. Although all the roads I was driving on were crowned, so it would be going sideways down the street. Oh, it had an SR too. I guess driving in the snow with it was no problem because I grew up in wisconsin with a 2wd ranger.

SimpleS14
12-09-2005, 05:37 PM
Drove my car in the snow two years with an open-diff and all season tires. Just getting out of a parking spot on an incline was a PITA. Now I have a VLSD and it helps out a lot. No more getting stuck on inclines and now my car will fish-tail instead of spin-out....which is good because you can control the car more when it fish-tails.

SilviaNinja240
12-09-2005, 07:48 PM
I just bought some some tires last week; I have to say they do help, but... there are some parts of the road where you still have to go like 15kph. Going uphill isn't really a problem, but its just going downhill that's a tad scary. With enough momentum and speed you'll slide on the iced roads rather than stay on them. I have to go much slower downhill rather than up. Doesn't matter what car you have