PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Patch Exhaust Leaks?!

IGSDann
11-24-2005, 07:50 PM
Well I have the 240 away for the winter and I got myself a Buick Century for $200 bucks, only 55k miles! Damn good deal, but it's no fun to drive... *shrug* Anyways I got an exhaust leak about an inch by inch big and need some advice on patching it to pass an inspection. I already tried a kit but it worked like shit. Any tips?

mrmephistopheles
11-24-2005, 09:36 PM
take it to a muffler shop and have them weld in a new section of pipe. if it's on the muffler, put on a new muffler.
beyond that you're just wasting time with those patch kits.

trsilvias13
11-24-2005, 10:47 PM
if it on the pipe.. heat wrap + clamps

240meowth
11-25-2005, 03:26 AM
i used a kit to patch up my camry a while ago, it had a huge gap, and it worked great. I had like these cloth things taht i dip in a solution (kidna like paper mache).

theicecreamdan
11-26-2005, 10:26 AM
as opposed to the $15 a not busy muffler shop would charge?

420sx
11-26-2005, 10:45 AM
^60 bux for labor. plus t he cost of the new muffler if its leaking.

Shawn_of_the_Dead
11-26-2005, 11:00 AM
take if and put some of that patch crap on it....cover it all with jb weld....and that should work. Throw some duct tape on there just for good measure. :D j/k...bout the duct tape. (I know somone would think I'm serious.)

theicecreamdan
11-26-2005, 12:16 PM
^60 bux for labor. plus t he cost of the new muffler if its leaking.

Your muffler shop sucks, the guy I go to says $20 to jsut about everything.

I had a clamp together catback for my camaro, and I got it all welded after I installed it for $20, cut out the section of piping with holes, get a piece of exhaust tube, measure the OD of your stock piping, and get some with that as ID, or just take your piece to a muffler shop and they'll charge like $5 to expand it if it needs it. Or get lucky like me and they'll do it free. Put it on yourself and get it welded for a few more bucks.

Andrew Bohan
11-26-2005, 12:17 PM
find a friend who can weld. it's not hard to fill a hole with weld, and even easier to weld some metal over the hole. i've filled the END of an exhaust pipe before, just for practice...

theicecreamdan
11-26-2005, 03:16 PM
I welded the spoiler holes on my trunk lid shut... but my paint kept catching on fire.

IGSDann
11-26-2005, 09:57 PM
I went to the store and saw a big leak patching kit that was basically just a piece of thin aluminum, special "heat tape" and two hose type clamps. I just bought three clamps, used the exhaust leak sealer I found in the garage and used some spare aluminum duct work stuff and clamped it all on there. So far so good. I just need this to pass an inspection and them I plan on putting a side pipe on it (for shits' n' giggles'). Thanks for the help guys.

420sx
11-27-2005, 01:19 AM
Your muffler shop sucks, the guy I go to says $20 to jsut about everything.

I had a clamp together catback for my camaro, and I got it all welded after I installed it for $20, cut out the section of piping with holes, get a piece of exhaust tube, measure the OD of your stock piping, and get some with that as ID, or just take your piece to a muffler shop and they'll charge like $5 to expand it if it needs it. Or get lucky like me and they'll do it free. Put it on yourself and get it welded for a few more bucks.

im guessing. i havent taken my car to a shop in 2 years

Mr.S14
11-27-2005, 02:59 AM
ide just get it welded i had one on my MR2 its better to get it welded