PDA

View Full Version : RSX Type S, Mini Cooper Type S, WRX

jOeHaCk98
11-14-2005, 04:25 PM
Well, no more s14. I'm been looking online for a replacement that will keep my satisfied through college with no "serious" modifications.

I wanted to get some input from this board because you were all a big help in my Gun thread. (im getting a springfield 9mm)

So the 3 cars are relatively equally priced. All cars are either a 2002 or 2003 to stay in my budget.

The Mini- I really enjoy the concept behind the car. Short wide wheel base, supercharged and ~2600lbs. Also the modifications arent overpriced. In fact, very affordable, minus the exhaust, but i have a hook on that. 6 speed, and 35mpg on the freeway.

The RSX- Super reliable, good power, Nice looks, havent really checked on how it responds to modifications, but i dont believe it would respond as well as a super/turbo charged car.

The WRX- Pretty quick, Tranny is questionable. Tons of drivetrain loss. Worst gas mileage of all. But fun as fuck in the dirt. How much dirt it will see... i dont know.

Inputs, flames, leads on good deals or friends selling one.. all appreciated.

Price range is 14-17k

Thanks

OptionZero
11-14-2005, 04:29 PM
RSX + Type R's LSD = done for daily driver.

K-series responds very well to mods, and actually does well boosted....but you'd want to keep it NA, its supposed to be great fun. The' 06 looks sweet, but so do the first series. Can't beat Honda reliability either.

Just don't get your stuff jacked.

lucky7
11-14-2005, 04:41 PM
cooper S for teh win. that gets my vote. even though its not rwd, you will have a BLAST in the twisties.

drift freaq
11-14-2005, 04:41 PM
Mini Cooper Type S, RSX is another ordinary Japanese car. Mini Cooper just reeks of I am different and cool and my car rocks, hahahhahhhahhaha. No but seriously the Mini Cooper is unique styling wise, in comparision to almost any other car out there. Its distinctive, Its fun , mileage is pretty decent. Its reliable. Granted it does not have the Honda name badge in that department, but you know what? Honda's are played. You would be better off looking at a Scion if your going to go that way.
Me personally I look at a Honda/Acura and I yawn. I would buy a CRX for a used gas sipper and get around car ,but I would not spend the money on a new one, even their Hybrid, I would get a Prius over the Honda hybrid without blinking an eye.
So thats my opinion. Mini Cooper , followed by a Toyota or you could wait till Nissans Scion killer is out.

ALTRNTV
11-14-2005, 04:47 PM
RSX Type S.

Irukandji
11-14-2005, 04:50 PM
I've driven all three and I have to say the wrx is the most fun to drive.

The RSX Type S definetly pulls harder but has more body roll than the wrx

Mini Cooper S... no comment... It's alright... but it its kinda metro if you ask me.

For a daily driver definetly go for the RSX type s. Theyre taking it out of production this year and it will become a collectors item (similar to the usdm type Rs). Great gas mileage, decent rear seating, luxorious interior, and gotta love the honda reliability.

EchoOfSilence
i'll concur with driftfreaq.

jOeHaCk98
OE mini windshields suck, according to reviews. Most people are on their 3-5 windshield, but an aftermarket windshield is now available

jOeHaCk98
11-14-2005, 04:55 PM
Oh, and what do you guys think about "theft recovery" salvaged titles? Im planing this car as a long term DD til i graduate and I plan to make big cash, so resale isnt a big deal. I found a black 2004 rsx type s with 19k for 12.8

drift freaq
11-14-2005, 05:15 PM
Salvage titles are fine if A: you know its a theft recovery and not a major accident rebuild and B: you plan on never selling it, so you could give a rats ass about resale value. If you can answer yes to both of those get yourself a Salvage title.
As far as the RSX is concerned I still stand by what I said. They bore me. If you like them and seriously want one get it. In the end this whole thing should be your decision. I do not buy cars based on other peoples opinions, I buy them based on my own opinion.
You should do the same.

jOeHaCk98
11-14-2005, 05:19 PM
I agree. I really didnt like the wrx too much.. too high, kinda feels like you are driving a tank, for a lack of better description. This rsx however, is a great price, and super clean. I was told it was a salvaged because of a scratch on fender, stolen: headlights,and front and rear bumper. I wouldnt think that would salvage a car. I guess ill carfax it.

OptionZero
11-14-2005, 05:20 PM
They bore you, but only in looks. Performance wise, i think it has to have an edge over the Mini, and POSSIBLY on the WRX if you consider that its tranny is weak and its a bit porky

RiversideS13
11-14-2005, 05:23 PM
salvage title is usally depend on your luck, but from my own experience are that most people would lie about their salvage title. they would tell you it got stolen instead got hit (and most of time i would find evidence that the car has been hit). so you need to check the car lines very carefully.

i remeber i saw a 240sx on ebay with salvage title and the seller claimed it has due to theft. i checked carfax and i found the car went to salvage yard twice in three years, and acutioned twice too. freaking lier.

anyway, i would say do not buy a salvage title car, lot of headache and hard to resell.

jOeHaCk98
11-14-2005, 05:27 PM
id most def. car fax it before buying. I hope everything checks out. 12k is a great price, hope its not too good to be true.

drift freaq
11-14-2005, 05:28 PM
I agree. I really didnt like the wrx too much.. too high, kinda feels like you are driving a tank, for a lack of better description. This rsx however, is a great price, and super clean. I was told it was a salvaged because of a scratch on fender, stolen: headlights,and front and rear bumper. I wouldnt think that would salvage a car. I guess ill carfax it.
well headlights and front and rear bumper, are probably bank on that car.hahahhahha. Though ya it still does not seem like it would put it in a Salvage title catagory. Salvage titles are issued when the car is considered total loss by the insurance company. Total losses are concluded when there is A: damage up to 80% of current retail market value or B: enough stuff removed when stolen to add up to 80% of the value of current retail market value in replacement costs and installation, Or a combination of the two above hitting the magic 80% mark.

Remember, just because it has not been to a junkyard does not mean its not major accident damage that was repaired. It used to be that used high performance car dealers would buy Salvage totals straight from the Salvage auction and rebuild the cars from the ground up making a almost flawless Salvage title car that looked brand new. They sold them as Salvages titles under state laws but people would buy them because you cold get a 60-70k Porsche Carrera for 30-40k fully loaded 6 speed largest engine etc.... .After the dotcom crash people stopped buying those as much except for a lot of Armenians in Hollywood. Who still sport Salvage C600's , 745ils etc...

ranisron
11-14-2005, 07:47 PM
well, how about theft rate with RSX-Type S vs. WRX vs. mini.

also, a daily driver = roomy + trunk space...

WRX perhaps?

nistech
11-15-2005, 12:11 AM
i say get the fastest car and the car that handles best = wrx

jOeHaCk98
11-15-2005, 12:16 AM
fastest car? The wrx puts down 168whp, and the rsx puts down 178whp and is about 350lbs lighter. For the price, I can get a CARB legal greddy kit and put down 280hp and still be under the price of the wrx's

WILDACEX187
11-15-2005, 01:36 AM
arent 5sp wrx's the ones with the weak trannies. i think the ones with the 6sp are the one to get. go for the rex. its more practical.

jOeHaCk98
11-15-2005, 02:51 AM
6 speed rex's are STi which are out of my price range by about 10-12k

TurDz
11-15-2005, 02:52 AM
The RSX Type S definetly pulls harder but has more body roll than the wrx

Well I guess it's a relative thing sitting in a stock WRX then. Reason I say this is when I always used to work the station in Auto-X, those stock WRX's would look like they would tip to one sideover during of those moderate speed, mini-sweepers. literally looked like 6 inches of wheel well gap, haha.

rainier
11-15-2005, 03:04 AM
if your interested in a 05 RSX type S. for about 14k. salvaged title due to accident. rear quarter was smashed so it was totalled. looks brand new. i know a guy who owns a shop and deals with only hondas. so yeah. about 8k miles on it. let me know

ZK
11-15-2005, 09:51 AM
Out of those I say the RSX-S or the WRX.

Mini is pretty unique and has a like it/hate it styling. I personally hate it. I throw it in the same catagory of retro-looking cars like the Beetle. It is pretty heavy for its size, doesn't really put out much power and the interior is just really wierd - not a sporty feeling car.

WRX is pretty good, responds well to mods but its big and doesn't look like a sporty car.

The RSX is pretty fast out the box, reliable and has a high resale value. I am not too big a fan of its styling either but it looks more like a traditional sports coupe out of all three of them.

WILDACEX187
11-15-2005, 12:21 PM
6 speed rex's are STi which are out of my price range by about 10-12k

i maybe wrong but im sure i heard something about regular wrx's coming with 6speeds also.

*edit* i just looked it up i guess im wrong.

OptionZero
11-15-2005, 12:27 PM
in' 06 they had a beefier tranny, but still 5spd

used ones will all have the glass 5-spd.

Ghettokracker71
11-15-2005, 10:23 PM
Srt-4

Message Lengh

jOeHaCk98
11-16-2005, 12:32 AM
No way. From what i read, its just cheap speed.. You are paying for the motor, the rest is a shit car.

zero.counter
11-16-2005, 01:09 AM
No way. From what i read, its just cheap speed.. You are paying for the motor, the rest is a shit car.
This is true I tell you.

Out of the three listed, the RSX is the win for a number of reasons. Reliability is the win.

Jcb890
11-16-2005, 06:36 AM
for the love of god con't buy the mini. i'd rather have a WRX, but ni this case, the RSX might be your best bet because of the great reliability and gas mileage.

skatanic28
11-17-2005, 12:41 PM
the rsx is definately a good car for a dd. quiet, comfortable, good use of space, and pretty high quality interior. 6 disc in dash changer and auto climate are nice standard features too.
the torque of the ka has really spoiled me though, the acura feels very sluggish below 5k.

have you considered the scion tc or spec v?

jOeHaCk98
11-17-2005, 12:58 PM
Scion runs slightly higher than what i *should* be spending. And the Spec V is ugly *imo*

EchoOfSilence
11-17-2005, 01:04 PM
After the dotcom crash people stopped buying those as much except for a lot of Armenians in Hollywood. Who still sport Salvage C600's , 745ils etc...
and not just that, either.

Those cars are mostly (if not all) leased. I live in Little Armenia, so I've seen this shit happen. Cars are leased, then they have another one after a couple of months. What's funny is that when I asked them if it's leased, they all say the same thing "Yeah, but i'm going lease-to-buy... it's cheaper." Then they have another car in one month :rolleyes: what a waste of equity.

And I always wonder where they get all the money. AP does some pretty shady shit, i'd assume. A while back, the parking lot behind my building was one of their chop-shops.

sncs14
11-17-2005, 06:59 PM
WRX, I don't care if the transmission gives up under too much stress. it's not that i don't like the Mini or the RSX but they are fwd. i've always liked the WRX ,i just couldn't afford it, so here i am with my S14. :2f2f: