PDA

View Full Version : oil blowout

TropicalJewel
11-13-2005, 09:58 AM
I have a 1995 240sx. I have not had any oil leaks nor any sign of oil sitting anywhere. Last night after I returned home from an almost 2 hour drive, I smelt something funny. It smelled like what I thought was the rubber on my tires. So i figured long drive. So this morning when I woke up and got ready to go shopping, and I reversed I noticed a lot of oil on the driveway. Not in one spot but all over. Then, upon opening the hood there is barely any oil on the dipstick and it was full about 3 days ago, and there is oil spray all over the underneath and sides of the bay. None on top so the cap is not the culprit and the filter feels tight. But before I go get under my totally icky car, I would like to know... can i just spring a massive leak like that out of the blue? Like blow a gasket somewhere in a mad way?
Thanks,
Monique

aznpoopy
11-13-2005, 11:12 AM
when the front main seal goes oil gets all over the the front and underside of the engine. oil pan gasket is another common culprit.

however, when they go... they are slow leaks, at least in my experience. they don't spew oil all over the place. front main seal leaks alot though. i had to fill up an extra quart every week or two to make sure the oil level wasn't getting too low.

the way you describe it sounds crazy, however. maybe something punched a hole in your oil pan.

remember oil tends to flow downwards and back. look for the highest and frontmost oil spillage... that should clue you in as to where its coming from.