PDA

View Full Version : Anyone get to see Jarhead yet?

iwishiwas-all*
11-05-2005, 04:30 PM
All I can say is "Field Fuck!"
that movie was great atleast I thought, Serious at times and realistic but damn funny also, what do u people think?
Jamie Foxx was good in it too.
yea so who else saw it?

ThatGuy
11-05-2005, 05:12 PM
All my Marines that saw it last night had nothing but bad reviews. :-/

420sx
11-05-2005, 05:23 PM
except for my everyone else that was in the army, navy and air force that saw it :))) for some reason marines dont like it. well, my buddy did tho

carlos9984
11-05-2005, 06:22 PM
All my Marines that saw it last night had nothing but bad reviews. :-/

this movie looks tight... i wanna see it..

but just outta curiosity...
why did they gave it bad reviews??

m0rex
11-05-2005, 06:31 PM
I heard its good yet some people seem to disagree with some of the stuff on it. I dont know. Im still going to watch it and see for myself.

Var
11-05-2005, 06:38 PM
I saw it last night and i really enjoyed it.

ThatGuy
11-05-2005, 06:42 PM
this movie looks tight... i wanna see it..

but just outta curiosity...
why did they gave it bad reviews??

Their words, not mine. I have not yet seen it to make my own comments.

"This movie is based on a book written by a First Term Marine who didn't want to join, was waiting to get out, and never expected to go to combat."

The best I could explain it to Zilvia, from their perspective, is...

This guy was a Newb, got in over his head, got flamed, and wanted to get out and go to NICO or something. The members of Zilvia (representing the Marines) would say, "Suck it up and deal, it's Zilvia, get used to it. Don't join the site if you aren't ready to get flamed" a.k.a "Don't join the Military if your aren't ready to fight." I'll likely wait till it comes out on DVD, as I don't get many chances to get to the theatre. Perhaps then I can give a better review. I do know that the movie is NOT endorsed by the USMC and will NOT be shown at base theatres.

mrmephistopheles
11-05-2005, 06:46 PM
will NOT be shown at base theatres.
I hope that's not true.. at least for my base here.

Var
11-05-2005, 07:53 PM
If it's not shown then that's BULLSHIT. All the more reason to see it.

X the big hit X
11-05-2005, 08:47 PM
i saw it.i really liked it.

S14DB
11-05-2005, 09:01 PM
I hope that's not true.. at least for my base here.You can always read the book.

theicecreamdan
11-05-2005, 09:08 PM
yeah, if people wanted to read or some shit like that.

reefer1114
11-05-2005, 09:23 PM
i personally thought it was bad ass.

wootwoot
11-06-2005, 01:02 AM
I'll give it a thumbs up. Just got out of it actually

kevincao
11-06-2005, 01:07 AM
Expected something more like Saving Private Ryan. Depends on what you're looking for. If you're looking for something with a lot of war and killing, this isn't the movie to see. If you are looking for a pretty private look on military life and P.O.V. of soldiers, you'll enjoy it.

420sx
11-06-2005, 02:05 AM
I hope that's not true.. at least for my base here.

i wander why they are so scared of it. freedom of information and speech. wow, not like they are not gonna see it anyway. should be FFA, might as well show that "its just a movie" and let everyone see it anyway. banning a film from a base is just stupid in my opinion. theres plenty of material similar to the movie's contents out there.

speeddreamz
11-06-2005, 04:46 AM
That movie was great, I expected hella violcene like saving private ryan or something, but it turned out to be more deep/funny.

My favorite part, "Thats my girlfriend, and thats my neighbor, what the fuck?"

Jamie foxx has yet again proven that he can do serious movies, I guess hes already proven himself, but I still think everytime he does a good serious movie he really proves himself again. Maybe iim just used to seeing him in those old movies like booty call.

Jcb890
11-06-2005, 10:25 AM
That movie was great, I expected hella violcene like saving private ryan or something, but it turned out to be more deep/funny.

My favorite part, "Thats my girlfriend, and thats my neighbor, what the fuck?"

Jamie foxx has yet again proven that he can do serious movies, I guess hes already proven himself, but I still think everytime he does a good serious movie he really proves himself again. Maybe iim just used to seeing him in those old movies like booty call.

that was actually his wife ;)

i thought it was really good. not exactly what i was expecting, i was expecting more fighting and shooting and killing and whatnot... however, i still thought it was very good. it was cool to see some of the shit they went through. some may be true, some may not be, but its feasable.

looks like the guys who gave it bad reviews basically just didn't like the main character's standpoint of not really wanting to be there at times and wanting to get out. but honestly, if you're out in the desert for 100+ days when its 100+ every day and you have nothing to do and you're still training and then you still have to fight, thats gotta get real old real quick.

overall, i'd like it. if you're lookin for a movie full of killing and shooting and shit then its not the movie for you because its more about the marine's life and what they went through.

*NismoS13*
11-06-2005, 11:46 AM
I'm going to see it in exactly 2 hours, I've been looking forward to seeing it...

-Adam

TheSquidd
11-06-2005, 11:41 PM
hah, It was Desert Storm, the only fighting and killing were friendly fire and bombs being dropped by planes. I mean, the thing was over within 5 days, how much action were you expecting to see?

I liked it. It was what I expected. A very good look at modern combat and the lives of a bunch of Marines just dying to get their war but it never comes. What I really love is the USMC commercial they ran before the movie in the previews.... kind of crappy placement if you ask me.

S14DB
11-06-2005, 11:56 PM
Overall I think it was a good movie. Sort of a modern FMJ. There were some inconsistencies but what can you expect from a movie. I can see why the Marines don't like it.

Was the guy on the bus at the end his dad?

nistech
11-07-2005, 12:44 AM
it was one of the worst movies i ve ever seen
this pretty much sums up the whole movie=
they go to iraq walk around and come back home and in the background jesus walk beat from kanye while their gfs and wifes are getting fucked by their neighbors.

my friend who was a little tipsy from yager started yelling " this is it.... this sucks..." that was pretty funny

raz0rbladez909
11-07-2005, 12:48 AM
no way you can compare the movie to full metal jacket except that they both included Marines and involved aspects of bootcamp. there was way to much naked dudes is all i can say i mean come on way too much lol oh we'll it was more depressing then anything, wasn't much of an action movie, then again modern movies haven't been anything to talk about anyways theres my .02

Edgar
11-07-2005, 12:49 AM
Ill have to say it was a awsome film! 2 thumbs up

kingsol
11-07-2005, 02:25 AM
is it a 'need to see in the theaters,' or more of a 'wait till it goes on dvd'?

Jcb890
11-07-2005, 06:45 AM
it was one of the worst movies i ve ever seen
this pretty much sums up the whole movie=
they go to iraq walk around and come back home and in the background jesus walk beat from kanye while their gfs and wifes are getting fucked by their neighbors.

my friend who was a little tipsy from yager started yelling " this is it.... this sucks..." that was pretty funny

people like your friend who ruin other people's movie experiences should be shot in the face. i cant stand people that sit there and talk during the movie or bring their kids and let them talk the whole time... i just feel like getting up and choking the life out of them.

Jcb890
11-07-2005, 06:46 AM
Overall I think it was a good movie. Sort of a modern FMJ. There were some inconsistencies but what can you expect from a movie. I can see why the Marines don't like it.

Was the guy on the bus at the end his dad?

i dunno about a modern FMJ, but i suppose you can make some connections.

and yes, that was his father. he said "welcome home son" then gets all emotional.

wootwoot
11-07-2005, 09:02 AM
I would definitely see it in the theatre over home. Some of the visuals depicted are fucking stunning. Just dont go to it expecting an action flick, its about character. PS, quit leaning into the movie and giving shit away you fuckwads.

SirWarrior
11-07-2005, 09:21 AM
people like your friend who ruin other people's movie experiences should be shot in the face. i cant stand people that sit there and talk during the movie or bring their kids and let them talk the whole time... i just feel like getting up and choking the life out of them.
Just go complain to the usher and since they wont do anything after the movie go get your money back because you couldn't enjoy the movie and usher didn't stop them. Do it all the time.

As far as best part of the movie
"What a pu$$y, lets watch it again!" :bowrofl:

*NismoS13*
11-07-2005, 09:37 AM
Just go complain to the usher and since they wont do anything after the movie go get your money back because you couldn't enjoy the movie and usher didn't stop them. Do it all the time.

As far as best part of the movie
"What a pu$$y, lets watch it again!" :bowrofl:

I believe it was "What a faggot, let's watch it again!" But yeah, that line had me laughing my ass off...

Anyway I thought the movie was really good. I wasn't quite sure what to expect since the previews didn't really go into detail. But I love movies that have to do with the military so I enjoyed it...

-Adam

S14-vietusmc
11-07-2005, 09:38 AM
i dunno about a modern FMJ, but i suppose you can make some connections.

and yes, that was his father. he said "welcome home son" then gets all emotional.

that was not his father... i guess you didnt read the book... just some vet that likes to call young kids son...
i didnt like the movie myself. i liked the book, yall should read the book. the movie did no justice to the book. the book is a love/hate relationship with the USMC, the movie just showed how swafford hated it. please dont "flame" on the people to didnt like it, especially the Marines... you dont know what its like to have a movie about you but in the wrong direction. thanks

Jcb890
11-07-2005, 09:50 AM
that was not his father... i guess you didnt read the book... just some vet that likes to call young kids son...
i didnt like the movie myself. i liked the book, yall should read the book. the movie did no justice to the book. the book is a love/hate relationship with the USMC, the movie just showed how swafford hated it. please dont "flame" on the people to didnt like it, especially the Marines... you dont know what its like to have a movie about you but in the wrong direction. thanks

ah, i didnt read the book, so i figured it was his father, thanks for the info though. reading sucks, but i think im gonna have my gf read it and tell me about it since she likes to read.

i wasnt really flaming on the marines who didnt like it, i was just saying that i dont care who you are, if you're in the desert for about 1/2 a year and its 100+ degrees every day and you're always doing training and working and whatnot, thats gonna get old really quick and gonna question the men's/women's dedication and shit.

AFSil80
11-07-2005, 06:53 PM
I thought it was a fantastic movie, honestly.

All the people saying 'waah, there wasn't any action, it sucked!' Well, read your history books, or anything about Operations Desert Storm and Shield, then rethink what you said.

I wouldn't go as so far to say the movie made him seem like a pussy, b/c he OBVIOUSLY wanted to do his part in the movie (towards the end). Nobody in their right mind goes through such vigorous training and believe that they hate their job.

My favorite line:

"What the fuck, that's Vietnam music...why can't we get our own music..."

BTW, when it comes to the scheduled hydration, and the field fucking, MOPP 4, been there, done that and damn proud of it.

A Spec Products
11-07-2005, 07:12 PM
a very "different" type of war movie, i too expected to see some saving private ryan type stuff.

these guys were trained to be ready to kill only to be let down, and come back into the real world where they were too scarred to adjust (i.e the point of the monologue in the beginning). a cocktease in some sense, although a bad analogy, it was pretty much blue balls for them. very ironic, since on one hand you were glad they didn't kill anyone, but you felt bad cause they didn't.

the movie was kinda anticlimatic, but it was nice how the beginning and end brought it back full circle.

i liked it, but left me kinda sad/reflective. good movie imo, but its a netflixxer for sure. nothing you can't wait for on dvd.

and what's up with the casting, one dude from garden state and the other dude from 8 mile? haha CHEDDAR BOB!

kanye suckered me.

Jcb890
11-07-2005, 07:56 PM
a very "different" type of war movie, i too expected to see some saving private ryan type stuff.

these guys were trained to be ready to kill only to be let down, and come back into the real world where they were too scarred to adjust (i.e the point of the monologue in the beginning). a cocktease in some sense, although a bad analogy, it was pretty much blue balls for them. very ironic, since on one hand you were glad they didn't kill anyone, but you felt bad cause they didn't.

the movie was kinda anticlimatic, but it was nice how the beginning and end brought it back full circle.

i liked it, but left me kinda sad/reflective. good movie imo, but its a netflixxer for sure. nothing you can't wait for on dvd.

and what's up with the casting, one dude from garden state and the other dude from 8 mile? haha CHEDDAR BOB!

kanye suckered me.

Kanye is a piece of shit... but thats an argument for another day.

iwishiwas-all*
11-07-2005, 08:01 PM
kanye suckered me.

I have to say the preview would not have been nearly as enticeing if it wasnt for that Kanye West song. But as for the movie, The first scene the only thing i cold think about was "
Full Metal Jacket" with the drill instructor, but I must say that the way it depicted that particular squad in the USMC was so realistic to me and surreal because it showed just how it was, plain and simple, just brutal, but oh man u were gunnin for them to get their confirmed kill, it was more brutal in that scene than watching a person die earlier, just a sign of great film making

two thumbs way up hah

S14-vietusmc
11-07-2005, 08:20 PM
they just wanted to kill someone... getting a confirmed kill is a lot harder than you think. you have to have a bunch of people see you kill that other person then theres the paper work involved and then you have to see psychotherapist after... bunch of bullshit for a confirmed kill... hahah

240SeXy!
11-07-2005, 09:15 PM
:smash: makes me wanna kill someone... haha no jk

KiDyNomiTe
11-07-2005, 09:29 PM
I definately was expecting more fighting and shit, and thought the girls that went with would hate it, but it was better than I thought, and the girls enjoyed it.

S14-vietusmc
11-08-2005, 02:55 PM
:smash: makes me wanna kill someone... haha no jk

join the Marine Corps as 0311... haha... the only reason why the chicks liked it is cuz of the naked dudes...

A Spec Products
11-08-2005, 10:26 PM
I definately was expecting more fighting and shit, and thought the girls that went with would hate it, but it was better than I thought, and the girls enjoyed it.

i think they like mr. jake gyllenhaal, not the movie

Arsenal of Glory
11-08-2005, 11:30 PM
i didnt get to see it yet and dont really plan onto seeing it, but i read somewhere that soldiers were blasting "Ride of the Valkryies" during an attack? Is that true??

if so: BLASPHEMY! thats been on reserve for Francis Ford Copolla :D

YakuzaS14
11-09-2005, 04:33 AM
i didnt like it

S14-vietusmc
11-09-2005, 08:56 AM
i didnt get to see it yet and dont really plan onto seeing it, but i read somewhere that soldiers were blasting "Ride of the Valkryies" during an attack? Is that true??

if so: BLASPHEMY! thats been on reserve for Francis Ford Copolla :D

I was play Bombs Over Baghdad in 2003 during OIF I...

420sx
11-09-2005, 09:28 AM
^ and in english? :ugh: :confused:

ThatGuy
11-09-2005, 11:52 AM
During the 2003 conflict Troops were blasting"Bombs over Baghdad" during the battles. The "Ride of the Valkyries" is straight outta "Apocolypse Now", Troops have been duplicating that scene ever since.

http://www.gonemovies.com/WWW/MyWebFilms/Oorlog/ApocalypseHelicopter2.jpg
:rawk: :rawk: :rawk: :rawk: :rawk: :rawk: :rawk: :rawk: :rawk: :rawk: :rawk: :rawk: :rawk: :rawk: :rawk: :rawk: :rawk: :rawk: :rawk: :rawk:

420sx
11-09-2005, 12:47 PM
yea i remember than scene, was a good movie

wootwoot
11-09-2005, 12:48 PM
I'm having a fuck up right now but what was the war movie where they were surfing? Was that Apocalypse Now?

ThatGuy
11-09-2005, 12:52 PM
Yes..............

jdm538
11-09-2005, 12:55 PM
I have never seen such a mixed review about a movie, I will definitely watch this to see what everyone is talking about.

wootwoot
11-09-2005, 01:10 PM
Yes..............

Allright good, I was worried I might be wrong and it was in a different one. In that case though.

LETS GO SURFING!

Paragon
11-18-2005, 05:14 AM
You know...
The last thing I want to watch right now is a Marine bitching about how much the Marine Corps sucks, and how much Iraq sucks. Alright, enough of my bitching, time for me to go back outside and build some more sandcastles...

(Iraq really does suck, btw)