PDA

View Full Version : Forget about the badge, when do I get the freakin' gun?

jOeHaCk98
10-31-2005, 10:19 PM
Just moved away from my primary hobby/sport. I thought about buying a gun for target range fun. Any suggestions. Im thinking a .22 pistol, I just dont know what to go with. Sub 400 range, but will pay more if its super awesome. .22 sounds good because of ammo price. I've yet to find a good website for info/ shopping. Most gun websites suck.

*NismoS13*
10-31-2005, 10:25 PM
Go to your local gun shop, see what fits your hands well, then come back and do some research online to look for reviews and such.

-Adam

BobbyBoy
10-31-2005, 10:27 PM
.22 is good for pistols for the low recoil, but I have found pistols and .22 caliber in general to get old really fast. It was fun back when i was 10, but now 22s are a bit weak. Spend a little more and you can get yourself a decent 9mm. Start here

http://www.berettausa.com/product/product_pistols_main.htm

The have decent .22 target and plinker pistols well under $400. Their 9mm starts around $550ish

Personally, when funds permit I am getting a .308 remington 700 and some decent optics to play with at the range.

TheSnail
10-31-2005, 10:33 PM
You can get either a glock 19 or 17. (Both very accurate and reliable) They are both 9mm's but have a 22cal conversion kit that you can buy for $170ish. That way you can swap top half of the gun(takes 20sec) for the range and then switch it back to 9mm when you get back so you dont have a pussy gun for home protection.

PS-If you already have a home protection, like a 500a. And just want a 22 for target fun, then I recomend a Ruger.

kazuo
10-31-2005, 11:55 PM
If you're gonna spend $400+, why not just get a Jericho?

???

http://www.magnumresearch.com/Baby_Eagle.asp

420sx
11-01-2005, 12:21 AM
lol..... the ban is lifted and you want a HADGUN??? step up get an AK

Jeff240sx
11-01-2005, 12:42 AM
Berettas suck hard. This is comming from someone who goes to the gun range more than once a month, and has shot well over 60 different brand/caliber combinations. I've never seen a beretta I've liked. They have long and stiff triggers, crummy magazines, and I don't like them. I'm a fan of glock, and taurus. I know, I know.. taurus is a beretta replica.. but has none of the aforementioned crummyness. My gun - whenever the gf allows it - will be a glock 17. If you look into a glock, their compensated gun is good for target practice, but if you were to shoot it in the dark, you'll blind yourself. Bad choice for home defense.
-Jeff

TheSnail
11-01-2005, 01:01 AM
You can get Night sights but they are $90ish. I went ahead and got a laser for my 19 but it made it boring to shoot, so I took it off. Like Jeff said a nice Glock with some night sites. Two different types just came out that are pimp. One: the Sandviper camo one (my next one), or the carbon fiber one.

http://nas4.atlanta.gbhinc.com/GB/039475000/39475613/pix909010656.jpg

http://nas4.atlanta.gbhinc.com/GB/039356000/39356062/pix668327671.jpg

projekt_s13
11-01-2005, 01:18 AM
im liking the cf one

lol

jOeHaCk98
11-01-2005, 01:23 AM
If you're gonna spend $400+, why not just get a Jericho?

???

http://www.magnumresearch.com/Baby_Eagle.asp

well cuz i dont know what i want. I dont live in the ghetto, so home protection isnt a huge priority. Im sure if some elderly caucasian gentleman tries to rob me ill cut him in two with one of my swords. I just want something to take the the range that will be fun for my lady and me.

TheSnail
11-01-2005, 01:31 AM
Then get something like this. A Ruger 22. One of the best for target shooting.
http://www.internetguncatalog.com/pics/70200.jpg

jOeHaCk98
11-01-2005, 01:36 AM
So ive been reading... but damn does that gun like pathetic.. but i guess that doesn't matter.. i keep thinking dildo.

TheSnail
11-01-2005, 01:47 AM
Well don't expect to look like "Boris the Blade" with a 22 in your hands. You can get cooler looking ones, but most are short barreled and are useless for the range as they're only good for a womans purse. You said you want a target pistol, what do you want?

TheSnail
11-01-2005, 02:08 AM
Okay, I searched target .22 pistols and found a competition gun that you would like. Though it is $750 and with that money you could get 22/9mm Glock and some change. But I am positive this one would be alot more accurate then the Glock or ony normal hand gun. It does not look anything like the weird target guns but hangs with the best of them.

Kimber Rimfire
http://nas4.atlanta.gbhinc.com/GB/039482000/39482482/pix922073328.jpg

nistech
11-01-2005, 02:19 AM
i shoot really well with a glock better then anything else but if u are looking for a really good + cheap = cz.

orion::S14
11-01-2005, 08:05 AM
That .22 Ruger would be a GREAT choice...

I have a S&W Model 22A...it's cheap, pops off .22 as fast as you can fire 'em, it quite accurate, and fun to shoot. $220 new + $80 for a nice red-dot scope...it's good, cheap fun. Seems to be VERY picky with ammo...some brands don't clear the breech, so it jams. Other than that..I've put THOUSANDS of rounds through it with ZERO trouble.

I also just got a Beretta 92FS...9mm. I love this gun, but it's not as good as the one I shot before I bought it (another Beretta 92, bt I think it had some work done on it). The Beretta is good for guys with big hands...it's not a small pistol.

I find the trigger pull pretty light...but again, big hands, long fingers...it fits and feels 'just right' for me.

Bought it ~5 months back, cost me $700 new...with 2 15rd mags, and it's the full stainless version:

http://products.berettausa.com/images/immagini_maxi/M92_Inox_S_maxi.jpg

If I were to buy another different 9mm, it would be a Sig Sauer, though...but be prepared for a +$800 price tag.

One option you MUST look at is the Springfield Arms XD series...

A friend has one in .40cal...it's a GREAT gun, and a BARGAIN.

If you want a full frame, full caliber pistol, look at the XD...you can get it in MANY different sizes and calibers.

If target shooting and "plinking" is your interest, then look no further than the Ruger .22 as mentioned above, or maybe a Browning Buckmark.

- Brian

S14DB
11-01-2005, 08:31 AM
Then get something like this. A Ruger 22. One of the best for target shooting.
http://www.internetguncatalog.com/pics/70200.jpg
+1 :stupid:
http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/FAProdView?model=10103&return=Y

jOeHaCk98
11-01-2005, 12:40 PM
thanks for the advice. I guess we both aren't getting .22's anymore. The Original plan was for me to get a 9mm- or larger, and she was going to get a .22. But her dad wont let her get anything that small. So I guess she is getting a 9mm, and im getting a .40. Man, real guns are cheaper than paintball guns :) Thanks for all the help. The springfield is looking good. You can't buy guns online can you? I am just looking for some non msrp prices.

orion::S14
11-01-2005, 02:31 PM
Good call...having a couple different calibers makes trips to the range that much more fun.

It's be like taking 2 cars to the track...!!!

If you want to consider cost of ammo (it adds up):

.22cal: $0.02/round (so cheap!)

9mm: $0.10-0.12/round

.40cal: $0.14-0.15/round

.45cal: $0.20/round

.50cal revolver: $3.15/round...hehe. Seriously.

Etc, etc...

- Brian

jOeHaCk98
11-01-2005, 03:07 PM
yeah, it does add up. Im used to buying 4 cases of paintballs a weekend.. every weekend. It adds up. I could lease an m3 with the money i spend paintballing. ouch

Jeff240sx
11-01-2005, 04:09 PM
.50 caliber is $1/round when I buy the ammo from the range. But.. pulling the trigger and handing over a dollar isn't the way to go target shooting.
Kimber are nice guns from what I've heard. Sigs... are accurate and expensive..but I don't like the feel personally.
Joe, you don't sound like someone whose shot many (if any) guns. a .40 is a solid step up for a 9mm. And because of this, unless you have experience shooting, or are a large person.. the first round will be on target, all others won't be. There is a lot of kick on a .40. A 9mm has low stopping power but large ammo capacity. A .40 is mid-stopping power and mid-capacity. Personally.. after having extensively shot both guns.. I know that a 9mm is my gun. At 20 yards I have a 95% first shot kill (head) on a stationary target. If you count the neck as a kill, I'm at 98-99% first shot kill. You don't need stopping power when you can hit a fatal point. Step up to a moving target, and I'd rather have 15-18 rounds than 10-12. And.. a .40 should be considered as a 1 or 2 round gun, because if someone is sprinting at you, the kick of a .40 will throw you off target, and by the time you've re-aimed.. he's covered alot of ground. A 9mm is a 5-10 round gun.. because at 20 yards, I can empty a magazine as fast as I can pull the trigger, and have 100% center-mass hits. On a .40, its much, much less.. around 40%.
So - before your gf gets a 9mm, which even my friends thought was a powerful gun their first time, have her shoot at a range. And the same for yourself.

That said, there's nothing wrong with a .40 caliber. If you can handle one. I'm 5'8", 170, and can rep my body weight on the benchpress. And the .40 isn't too big for me, but I'm certainly not comfortable with it. The .50 auto Desert Eagle I shot.. that was too big. Unless you're hunting whales.
-Jeff

S14DB
11-01-2005, 04:28 PM
Good call...having a couple different calibers makes trips to the range that much more fun.

It's be like taking 2 cars to the track...!!!

If you want to consider cost of ammo (it adds up):

.22cal: $0.02/round (so cheap!)

9mm: $0.10-0.12/round

.40cal: $0.14-0.15/round

.45cal: $0.20/round

.50cal revolver: $3.15/round...hehe. Seriously.

Etc, etc...

- Brian
That's cheap for 9mm, .40 and .45

crioten
11-01-2005, 06:17 PM
really wtf do you use a .50 cal revolver for? bear hunting? jesus...

anyway, the ruger .22 is one of the oldest assassain weapons... the "pros" knew what to use :)

nsn240
11-01-2005, 07:30 PM
heckler and koch... best guns on the market, period

Jeff240sx
11-01-2005, 11:51 PM
I disagree. I picked up a H&K USP .45 pistol because of counterstrike. They are double action guns, which makes their trigger pull twice what a normal gun is. Glock is 5.5#.. H&K is 11# for their .40, couldn't find the spec for their .45, but it felt like 13-15#. And, its a large, clunky gun. Not heavy, surprisingly, but it's not a carry weapon except on a holster imo.

So, for the sake of not being bandwagoners.. could you guys give reasons why you like a certain brand, other than 'my pappy had one' or 'i can shoot some Ts in the head with it'?
-Jeff

TheSnail
11-02-2005, 12:09 AM
"You guys" is a bit too broad.

kazuo
11-02-2005, 12:11 AM
Why not get a AK? Simple, cause he and I both live in CALI, and we have our own assault weapon ban, so we cant get semi/fully automatic rifles/handguns/etc.

Willie, just get a Jericho (aka Baby Eagle). S&W if you wanna make sure the motherfucker doesn't get back up. Otherwise get the 9mm.

hahahaha :D

Jeff240sx
11-02-2005, 09:55 AM
Here's another thing that I've seemed to miss. Everyone talking about the assault weapons ban being lifted. Now, sure, the ban is lifted. You can now buy an SKS (semi-auto AK47), AR-15 (semi-auto M16), and high-cap magazines. But when it comes to full-on automatic weapons, you cannot buy one without jumping through hoops. You need a Class 3 license, which is something like $500 to get, and $500 per year, with extensive background checks. And there may or may not be a limited number of these licenses. Next up, the automatic rifles are still $2k+. Without the Class3 license, you can't buy a Glock 18, uzi, or any other submachine gun. And, without that license, you can't buy a silencer. Or the massive magazines. Like, Glocks have a 31 round magazine, that's unavailable to anyone without a Class3 permit.
So ya.. you can't go to Guns 'R Us and walk out with a Browning .50 cal, an M16 and some silencers without doing the legal limbo and forking over $1k up front, and $500/yr.
-Jeff

theicecreamdan
11-02-2005, 10:16 AM
I shoot better with the 1911 a1 than the beretta 92fs

theicecreamdan
11-02-2005, 10:36 AM
CA people, how hard is it to get a permit to carry a concealed weapon?

I'm going to google next

weak,,, it just says to contact the local sherrif or police.

S14DB
11-02-2005, 10:38 AM
Here's another thing that I've seemed to miss. Everyone talking about the assault weapons ban being lifted. Now, sure, the ban is lifted. You can now buy an SKS (semi-auto AK47), AR-15 (semi-auto M16), and high-cap magazines. But when it comes to full-on automatic weapons, you cannot buy one without jumping through hoops. You need a Class 3 license, which is something like $500 to get, and $500 per year, with extensive background checks. And there may or may not be a limited number of these licenses. Next up, the automatic rifles are still $2k+. Without the Class3 license, you can't buy a Glock 18, uzi, or any other submachine gun. And, without that license, you can't buy a silencer. Or the massive magazines. Like, Glocks have a 31 round magazine, that's unavailable to anyone without a Class3 permit.
So ya.. you can't go to Guns 'R Us and walk out with a Browning .50 cal, an M16 and some silencers without doing the legal limbo and forking over $1k up front, and $500/yr.
-Jeff
That's going before the supreme court soon. Class 3 laws are unconstitutional.

240SeXy!
11-02-2005, 10:50 AM
If your in Idaho, It should be that bad, Its all State rules etc. Your sherrif should give you all the info etc.

I think One of the funnest Wepons Ive fired out of an AK, nevada state swat edition mp5, and many many handguns, The very best was a WW1 B.A.R, that will shake your balls of your body if its not on the bi-pod, tell you the truth we restore ww1 vehicals @ my house and we have 9 turkish and vickers machine gunz, WW3 im ready for....

:whip:

theicecreamdan
11-02-2005, 12:37 PM
oh in Idaho its no problem at all, you take a class and you do a background check.

my dad got his permit and he hasnt had a class since 15 years ago when he wanted to be a cop in San Diego

Jeff240sx
11-02-2005, 05:08 PM
That's going before the supreme court soon. Class 3 laws are unconstitutional.

Care to elaborate?
I'm really sick of the constitution... we're using a 200 year old set of rules to deal with problems that weren't concievable 10 years ago. Like, the electoral college needs to go, for starters. But that's another thread.
-Jeff

kazuo
11-03-2005, 12:24 AM
CA people, how hard is it to get a permit to carry a concealed weapon?

Basically impossible, unless you work in law enforcement, and even then, you need a REAL good reason for it and need to know people.

Not worth the trouble, cause they gonna deny the request regardless.

TheSnail
11-03-2005, 08:47 AM
Class 3 in ga involves, a one time $200 tax on the weapon. Then you have to fill out 5 pages of forums, then you need two passport pictures, then you need to go to your local police chief to have him sign it. Basically you go to him, and say hello I want an automatic or a destructive device or a silencer. If he approves you, then next you go to get finger printed. Then you turn in all that stuff, and wait 3months until you get the word. Alot of places can handle you class 3 stuff, by helping you through it for a 100-200$ fee. I have been thinking about doing it, since I have a sheriff that will sign my papers, but am yet to decide what I want. (maybe a silencer). You can get an Uzi because they are normally 3-5k but most other automatics are $10,000+. Im thinking silencer because it is around $500-700, and then your back porch becomes the range:)

Arsenal of Glory
11-03-2005, 02:06 PM
wow, just found out about this:

Link #1 (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1704519&perpage=40&highlight=&pagenumber=1)

Link #2 (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1711278&perpage=40&pagenumber=1)

SF Gate Link (http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2005/10/29/state/n161713D29.DTL)

Yahoo Link (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051030/ap_on_re_us/neighborhood_rampage)

-Kid goes on forums asking about guns/ammo
-kid shoes on a shooting spree

theicecreamdan
11-03-2005, 04:41 PM
Joe's gonna go kill people

crioten
11-03-2005, 05:02 PM
i dont think that you should be able to buy a full auto gun anyway...

wtf are you using this for?

i think they are cool, but you dont need that shit

jOeHaCk98
11-03-2005, 05:07 PM
you never know when the itallian mafia, the chinese triads, or the LA crips want to rob you. Automatic weapons only compliment my bullet proof vest.

TheSnail
11-03-2005, 05:20 PM
That was a good 3 hour read. A+ on the links. Makes me wonder if any of us Zilvians are going to flip one day. Makoto, Jeff, Infinit, Myself... Shit, look at FatBastard, he is already jumping into pools from roof tops! I think My MET partner has the same disorder. The man cant speak worth a damn. Just stands there stuttering, not being able to finish a sentence. I was debating on using my backhand to smack some communication skills into him, but I have reconsidered the possible consequences.

91CRXsiR
11-03-2005, 08:33 PM
personally of all the airsoft gun replicas I sell I like this one the best. It molds nicely into your hand.

http://www.airsoftmaniacs.com/pics/H3HWA/H3HWA_18.jpg
Walther P99

and you can't go wrong w/ a 92F Beretta
http://www.airsoftmaniacs.com/pics/S2B1/S2B1_25.jpg
as far as power and that other stuff i dunno since these only shoot plastic balls.. but these feel the best haha

theicecreamdan
11-03-2005, 08:58 PM
yeah, never mess with the people that might snap one day... give them candy daily, so when they do snap they wont blast you too.

kazuo
11-04-2005, 12:23 AM
Wasn't Robocop's gun a modified 92F?

From what I recall, the "real" version is also highly badass.

oh, and no one really needs automatic weapons, but they cool as fuck to have, and you never know what'll happen...

sw20>>s14
11-04-2005, 02:42 AM
thinking silencer because it is around $500-700, and then your back porch becomes the range:)
hahahaha, i had a neighbor that did that...you buncha crazies...haha

on topic: ive shot a .9mm once at the range when i was like 12, dont remember anything about it...planning on getting a pistol next year...for fucks...i dont know how you guys went from which guns good for the range to "if you dont want him gettin back up you get..." hahaha...cool tho, informative...

91CRXsiR
11-06-2005, 03:30 PM
http://www.airsoftmaniacs.com/pics/S1B/S1B_01.jpg Wasn't Robocop's gun a modified 92F?

From what I recall, the "real" version is also highly badass.

oh, and no one really needs automatic weapons, but they cool as fuck to have, and you never know what'll happen...

Its still a bretta but I believe its a diff model

Ghettokracker71
11-06-2005, 09:54 PM
lol..... the ban is lifted and you want a HADGUN??? step up get an AK

haha b/c ammo price. I personally have to AK based guns. Both use the same exact design,but one shoots a .22 shell,and is a somewhat smaller frame,uses a preban berreta handgun clip (15 rounds),I don't know the the hell makes it? But it shoots awsome,is somewhat accurate,and breaks down like a tradional AK for cleanup. I also have a Saiga .410,wich is a soviet union standard issue rifle which is fun as hell.

As for cheap ammo handguns (like .22) that don't feel like a pussy gun. Try a full frame smith if you like revolvers. I got a 10 shot .22 built on the .44 mag frame

WilloW
11-07-2005, 01:27 PM
Go to your local gun shop, see what fits your hands well, then come back and do some research online to look for reviews and such.

-Adam
Yup, go look around a hold a few so see how it feels in your hand. If you've got a chance to shoot it, even better. It took me a while to find a gun that I'm comfortable with within my price range. If you're looking to spend around the area of $400 then I would recommend a Ruger or CZ, I have both and shoot them regularly. I like my CZ P-01 more than the Ruger P95, seems to shoot better, trigger feel is very smooth, and accuracy is excellent. The same could be said about the Ruger P95 with the exception that it is a brick compare to the CZ. I would like to get my hands on a few other pistols like Sig, HK, and Walther, but those are a bit on the expensive side. Oh yeah, my cousin got a Yugo SKS and that thing is a blast at the range. Speaking of range, I'm going to get me some ammo. Good luck.