PDA

View Full Version : Guys with SRs, regarding turbo elbow.

Animosity
10-31-2005, 01:02 AM
So I'm chatting with my bud here and I'm really starting to ask myself, wtf is this part for? Have any of you guys had a downpipe made or does someone make them that eliminates the use for the elbow and just have a downpipe that extends from the outet to the catback? I'm going to be talking to my exhaust guy soon but was curious to see what you guys had to say. Thanks.

nrg
10-31-2005, 01:48 AM
it's just like a 5 bolt to 3 bolt adaptor. it's not like you can get a muffler shop to fab up you a down pipe with 5 bolts on it. it's alot easier to fab up a 4 bolt "circular" down pipe stright from the turbo. this is why these "elbow" exsit. it will be cheaper to buy an ebay brand for 40-50 bucks. than pay someone to build you one.

/end thread

sciamop
10-31-2005, 04:45 AM
There are downpipe/catback systems that bolt directly to the exhaust housing of the turbo (thereby deleting the turbo elbow). IIRC, they are called turbo-back exhaust systems.

Why a turbo elbow is good: a well-designed unit reduces the turbulence from the exhaust gasses and wastegate. Some even have a split chamber (1 for exhaust and 1 for wastegate) design that reduces turbulence even more. Turbulence = back pressure. Unless your exhaust guy has experience with fluid dynamics, I'd just stick with a manufactured turbo elbow.

If you do decide to have it fabbed-up, don't forget the 02 sensor bung.

As always, Search is Your Friend(tm).

mrmephistopheles
10-31-2005, 06:20 AM
http://www.store.yahoo.com/phase2motorsports/cispo2eldocs.html

http://store1.yimg.com/I/phase2motorsports_1868_5182167.jpg

420sx
10-31-2005, 08:17 AM
looks like a hungry snake...... hehe

Animosity
10-31-2005, 10:54 AM
http://www.store.yahoo.com/phase2motorsports/cispo2eldocs.html

http://store1.yimg.com/I/phase2motorsports_1868_5182167.jpg

WOW that is ugly. My exhaust is very talented, if any of you guys are familiar with the 300zx TT scene, many many many people use his Down-pipes and exhaust systems. I'm not sure how many TT DPs he has sold but I'm guessing it is a few hundred and quite a few exhaust systems as well.

Dousan_PG
10-31-2005, 10:57 AM
yeha because looks are EVERYTHING
exhast has a divided housing
flat downpipe area for extra clearance
one piece

most elbow/downpipes arent like that by themselves
try learning more before posting.

Animosity
10-31-2005, 11:01 AM
yeha because looks are EVERYTHING
exhast has a divided housing
flat downpipe area for extra clearance
one piece

most elbow/downpipes arent like that by themselves
try learning more before posting.

:mrmeph:

LOL wow dude, try some decaf next time. Of course physical appearance doesn't mean shit unless you have awful welds or the inside of the piping is all fubared. My bad for not searching as much as I should have.

kensreliableb18b
10-31-2005, 11:19 AM

LOL wow dude, try some decaf next time. Of course physical appearance doesn't mean shit unless you have awful welds or the inside of the piping is all fubared. My bad for not searching as much as I should have.

so...where is this coming from? personal experience? or are you just commenting on the dp because you assume its comparable to all the megan racing/ss autochrome stuff? i personally have this downpipe on my car. build quality is great (perfect fitment, welds are nice, and its a unique design overall). give me proof that this downpipe sucks.

Animosity
10-31-2005, 11:36 AM
so...where is this coming from? personal experience? or are you just commenting on the dp because you assume its comparable to all the megan racing/ss autochrome stuff? i personally have this downpipe on my car. build quality is great (perfect fitment, welds are nice, and its a unique design overall). give me proof that this downpipe sucks.

LOL, OK you guys love drama or something. I am going to say that I don't have to prove anything to you because I never stated anything about the quality and/or functionality of this product. Try re-reading my post. Also, that is great if it works well, I have no information on the product. Maybe it is the quality of the picture that makes it look "ugly". Next time anyone throws a hissy fit please make sure you have your head on straight. Thanks.

kensreliableb18b
10-31-2005, 11:50 AM
LOL, OK you guys love drama or something. I am going to say that I don't have to prove anything to you because I never stated anything about the quality and/or functionality of this product. Try re-reading my post.

your previous comments lead one to assume that you are referring to this particular product. I am simply trying to clarify to the general public that this downpipe is legit.

Also, that is great if it works well, I have no information on the product.

cool, now we know for sure you dont have experience with this downpipe

Next time anyone throws a hissy fit please make sure you have your head on straight. Thanks.

its pretty obvious you dont have your head on straight this morning since you've been posting ignorant comments

Animosity
10-31-2005, 11:58 AM
your previous comments lead one to assume that you are referring to this particular product. I am simply trying to clarify to the general public that this downpipe is legit.

cool, now we know for sure you dont have experience with this downpipe

its pretty obvious you dont have your head on straight this morning since you've been posting ignorant comments

OK...if you want the win, take it because I don't care. My head is on very straight and I never made any assumptions on anything but like you said, you did make an assumption. If you wanted to clarify you could have just asked rather than asking me to provide proof about something I had no comment on in respect to its functionality. Have a good.

Save a kitten, stop starting drama.

:smash:

Sil Beer S13
10-31-2005, 12:00 PM

well seening is how your first question was asking about down pipe that eliminates, the elbow and cat, you got what you were asking for in that pic.

How can you judge if the pipe is fubar or that the welds suck?? I mean sure the pics looks a little low quality.

But if you exhaust man can create a better downpipe go ahead and have it made.

You asked we answered. Stop cryin.

Now go home.

nrg
10-31-2005, 12:49 PM
kensreliableb18b, does that down pipe give the turbo manifold more stress from muffler vibration?
my next down pipe will be a custom HKS with a 3 inch flexpipe in the middle.

Animosity
10-31-2005, 12:53 PM
well seening is how your first question was asking about down pipe that eliminates, the elbow and cat, you got what you were asking for in that pic.

How can you judge if the pipe is fubar or that the welds suck?? I mean sure the pics looks a little low quality.

But if you exhaust man can create a better downpipe go ahead and have it made.

You asked we answered. Stop cryin.

Now go home.

LOL. :repost:

.::SR20_240::.
10-31-2005, 01:13 PM
i had a one pice one thay suck if you dont have a flex pipe the bolts keep coming loose, but other than that thay are good i guess.

kensreliableb18b
10-31-2005, 01:16 PM
kensreliableb18b, does that down pipe give the turbo manifold more stress from muffler vibration?
my next down pipe will be a custom HKS with a 3 inch flexpipe in the middle.

to be honest with you, the bracket on the downpipe makes the whole unit feel SOLID. i mean if you look at the hks unit, it has a separate hook unit as a bracket and doesnt feel as stiff. a flexpipe would yield optimal results :D