PDA

View Full Version : Door hinge pin removal

YoungRookie
10-29-2005, 10:11 AM
Im in the middle of swapping a new door on my car since theives decided to break into my car. I have the door off but I need to swap one of the hinges over to the other door but I can't seem to figure out how to remove the pin from the hinge.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v227/youngrookie/doorhinges2.jpg

ThatGuy
10-29-2005, 11:38 AM
I just take off the whole hinge when swapping doors. It's 4 bolts and one pin in the center of the door, then it's off. You have to remove the fenders to get to the bolts, but it's still pretty simple.

Now if you got doors where someone else already removed the hinge pins, then you're screwed. J/K, but I've never removed those pins. I'd imagine a good whack with a center punch or something should knock the pin out. Good luck!

FRpilot
10-29-2005, 12:00 PM
pic is too small to see... but you can bang the pin out with a hammer.. bang up or down.. i forgot which way but it comes out with a little bit of force.

projectRDM
10-29-2005, 03:56 PM
Up. One solid hit will get it flat against the catch, then use pliers to grip it and hit the pliers. If it takes more than two hits then the door is open too far and is binding it up.

YoungRookie
10-31-2005, 08:36 AM
I think maybe some of you are thinking about the one that keeps the door from swinging open all the way. I am talking about the hinges at the top and bottom of the door. The pin looks like a nail, on one end its has a flat head, the other end there is a point. The ends are too large to hit the pin out. I will take a picture of what im talking about when i get home from school.

projectRDM
10-31-2005, 01:33 PM
The pins in the hinge are not removable. Replace the entire hinge.

I have two dozen of them if you need some.

YoungRookie
10-31-2005, 02:21 PM
Well if i can't remove the pin then i will have to rig a hinge on there somehow, there has to be a way to put a new hinge on. If you could get me one or two of those hinges i would greatly appreciate it. Let me know

projectRDM
10-31-2005, 04:15 PM
The hinge unbolts from the chassis and the door. There's no need to 'rig' anything, simply remove the old one and install a new one. I don't see what the problem is.

BaliLover
10-31-2005, 10:26 PM
The pins in the hinge are not removable. Replace the entire hinge.

I have two dozen of them if you need some.

Thats news to me since I've replaced all 4 door hinge pins in 2 different S13s and got the pins from Nissan directly. I would also suggest replacing the brass bushings around the pin, since these are typically what wears and causes a door to droop.

Like everyone else said, remove your fenders to do it, bang em with a hammer and the old ones will come out. Pry out and replace the brass bushings, and hammer the new pins in place exactly like the old ones were.