PDA

View Full Version : i know some of you guys used to have civics

SR240DET
10-25-2005, 10:11 AM
anyways.... my girls car turns... and turns strong.. but does not fire up and start.... we did the battery/alt test when we jump it and remove the jumper cables after it starts to see if it dies... but it didnt even start... where else should i look? i have class soon so i cant go over there yet to check distributer and plugs.... its a 93 stock civic EX thanks for any help..

i posted in a couple civic forums already.. just seeing what you guys have to say...

breakindrifts
10-25-2005, 10:54 AM
See if its getting fuel...

captain hammerite
10-25-2005, 11:41 AM
Is it throwing any codes? If not start narrowing it down. CHeck for fuel and spark. Check the distributor rotor and plug wires. After that, remove a plug wire and put a screwdriver by the tip and see if there's a spark when you try to start it. Also, see if the fuel pump is priming because your main relay might be bad and you won't be getting any fuel.

lucky7
10-25-2005, 11:42 AM
is it stock?? does it turn over?? probably something simple like a ground or bad alternator. im no mechanic. but whenever my car doesnt start, i have a loose ground somewhere and its a relatively cheap easy fix.

RYAN_S-14
10-25-2005, 12:04 PM
my wifes car had that problem (92 del slow b16) turned out to be the distributer (600$ later) it ran fine, POS honda.

lucky7
10-25-2005, 12:30 PM
$600 for a distributor?? i replaced my cap and rotor for $30..

i dont understand these guys that turbo their daily driven hondas. the cars in stock form have bullitproof reliability.. why mess that up for your daily driver? im swapped with bolt ons. its not fast, but i RARELY have any mechanical issues with it. thats hard to beat.

RYAN_S-14
10-25-2005, 12:48 PM
$600 for a distributor?? i replaced my cap and rotor for $30..

i dont understand these guys that turbo their daily driven hondas. the cars in stock form have bullitproof reliability.. why mess that up for your daily driver? im swapped with bolt ons. its not fast, but i RARELY have any mechanical issues with it. thats hard to beat.

YUP (dis.,cap, rotor) brand new from the dealer, could not find a used one and i needed it fast. Something about the internal coil or ignighter went bad, dont really remember it been 3 years.

SR240DET
10-25-2005, 03:07 PM
no spark..... new dis,cap,and rotor...

NemeGuero
10-25-2005, 04:02 PM
yah, needs fuel and spark. if its not starting, check those 2 and replace accordingly

Ritz S14
10-25-2005, 04:05 PM
If it's not sparking, I bet you it's the ignitor. I'm alsmost willing to put $ on it.

SR240DET
10-25-2005, 04:10 PM
If it's not sparking, I bet you it's the ignitor. I'm alsmost willing to put $ on it.

internal coil?... if so... then autoparts store sells that with distributer as a whole...

Ritz S14
10-25-2005, 04:15 PM
Yes, internal coil. When you remove the dist. cap, and coil cover, the coil has about 3 screws which are really difficult to remove without a cordless drill.

They cost about $100, if anything go to the junk yard, and see if you can buy a used ditributor. On early 90s Hondas, it is VERY common for the ignitor to go out.

SR240DET
10-25-2005, 04:30 PM
Yes, internal coil. When you remove the dist. cap, and coil cover, the coil has about 3 screws which are really difficult to remove without a cordless drill.

They cost about $100, if anything go to the junk yard, and see if you can buy a used ditributor. On early 90s Hondas, it is VERY common for the ignitor to go out.

bad ass.. thanks alot Ritz... i got an hour to get the the junk yard....

Ritz S14
10-25-2005, 04:35 PM
Cool, let us know what happens. But before you go to the junk yard, make sure you don't have spark. lol.

edit: ok just read that you did not have spark. Good luck.

RYAN_S-14
10-25-2005, 04:58 PM

i wish i knew this when i shelled out the cash. i would have been able to swap the coild. oh well its over know.

the guy at the hobby shop told me i need to buy the whole thing, i went to a few junk yards and they had different plugs so just bought the damn thing

lucky7
10-25-2005, 05:19 PM
my engine is out of a 91 SiR. i just replaced the cap + rotor. now that i think about it. its just because i was firing on 2 cylinders i didnt have to swap the dist. plug/wires did nothing, next step was cap and rotor. ahhh, its all comming back now. hope this works out for you.

SR240DET
10-26-2005, 06:38 PM
yep.. the distributer....... well the damn kid sold me the wrong part and we switched coils to see if it was the coil.. and it was... thanks for the help ritz..

Ritz S14
10-26-2005, 07:39 PM
Awesome. If you're really thankful here's my email addy [email protected] gmail.com:D just [email protected]

So what did it end up costing you? Did it go smoothly? Just curious.

mrmephistopheles
10-26-2005, 07:48 PM
Awesome. If you're really thankful here's my email addy [email protected] gmail.com:D just [email protected]

Like, for PayPal, right? :D

Ritz S14
10-26-2005, 08:06 PM
hahaha :)

skeeet