PDA

View Full Version : Moving ... Where to?

Hartley1080
10-19-2005, 11:17 AM
I have been throwing around the idea lately of just picking up and moving. Just to see if i could make it somewhere else and have a change of pace and landscape. Maybe this is a completely stupid idea but, what would it hurt to try. Has anyone here ever done this and if so how did it work out. I am just sick of the town i live in. I know it's the same everwhere you go but, just looking for a change. Where would be a awesome place to move to? I was thinking somewhere out west. Seattle, Colorado?

Kind of a random post i know but, just wondering what everyone else thinks?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Jonathan Hartley

RJF
10-19-2005, 11:33 AM
Colorado :rawk:

Home of Zilvia.net

theicecreamdan
10-19-2005, 11:34 AM
what are you looking for? There are tons of awesome places out west, but they all fit different types of people better than others.

SW20Racer
10-19-2005, 01:24 PM
i gotta second the colorado im heading out there after my 6 month stint in jersey(im giving myself 6 months to complete my car) i had the same idea as you and imho its not stupid ill be making mini road trips to new mexico and arizona while im there too

theicecreamdan
10-19-2005, 01:57 PM
best roads ive driven on are in Utah, Arizona and colorado.

ALTRNTV
10-19-2005, 02:02 PM
So Cal. :wiggle:

Hartley1080
10-19-2005, 02:13 PM
Yea i was thinking that colorado or SoCal would be very nice. Just wondering how hard it would be to get started Job, Apartment ect... I am 21 just trying to get things together and it's just not going to happen for me in this hick town that i live in now. Let me know what you guys think this is the plan of action. Finish car should take about a year, And also in that time save up about 2 grand and just go. Thats the plan.

Thanks

Tenchuu
10-19-2005, 02:14 PM
I'm moveing back to Oregon from cali. few cops,no import hateing cops, no traffic, no emmissions, no sales tax. you kinow the roads and you own the place. I have my own personal autobahn up there. can't wait to get bask. gotta love rual un-patrolled highways.

got to be loaded to move to so cal. 1 bedroom appt in san diego costs 1200+ a month

ALTRNTV
10-19-2005, 02:16 PM
Well, living in So Cal, the cost of living is high. Apartment prices are insane in most areas. Saving up 2 grand and moving here is really nothing. $1000 will go towards your first months rent already.

RJF
10-19-2005, 02:29 PM
Yea i was thinking that colorado or SoCal would be very nice. Just wondering how hard it would be to get started Job, Apartment ect... I am 21 just trying to get things together and it's just not going to happen for me in this hick town that i live in now. Let me know what you guys think this is the plan of action. Finish car should take about a year, And also in that time save up about 2 grand and just go. Thats the plan.

Thanks

Cost of living is quite reasonable here. So, you can always find an apartment in your budget range.

Weather is great year-round. If we do get snow in the winter, its usually gone in a day or two. We had snow a week ago Monday (about 8") and within two days it was back up near 70 deg.

As for a job/career, what's your background/education?

Hartley1080
10-19-2005, 02:31 PM
Yea i figured things would be very high in SoCal. I was thinking maybe finding a small town somewhere near a larger city to lower the cost of living a little. I will be honest i am really wanting to move somewhere that will be easier to get into motorsports. So figure what better place then out west. All we have here is dirt track racing YEEHAW. I have about a year of general college classes so, a job might be an issue to but, i just want to somehow get into some form of motorsports prefferably Drifting or road racing. Not something easy to do i know just can't see myself doing anything else. Any ideas i am looking for any help/advice.

Thanks Guys
Jonathan Hartley

Romeyo07
10-19-2005, 02:32 PM
I just moved from SW Florida (just in time) to Atlanta over the weekend. So far, I love it. Everything is different here, in a good way.

A Spec Products
10-19-2005, 03:03 PM
Yea i figured things would be very high in SoCal. I was thinking maybe finding a small town somewhere near a larger city to lower the cost of living a little. I will be honest i am really wanting to move somewhere that will be easier to get into motorsports. So figure what better place then out west. All we have here is dirt track racing YEEHAW. I have about a year of general college classes so, a job might be an issue to but, i just want to somehow get into some form of motorsports prefferably Drifting or road racing. Not something easy to do i know just can't see myself doing anything else. Any ideas i am looking for any help/advice.

Thanks Guys
Jonathan Hartley

i would not recommend socal unless youre pretty open minded and calm. im not too familiar with where youre from but im sure its drastically different from socal.

things can get mad hectic out here, and there's the positives but there are enough negatives to make people from other states not that happy.

but in terms of drifting, socal is probably your best bet, in terms of parts, tracks, etc.

there are a lot of good schools out here though, and the weather is nice.

ALTRNTV
10-19-2005, 03:33 PM
and the weather is nice.

End of discussion.

Hartley1080
10-19-2005, 04:01 PM
Alright i am moving. So AkademicONE are you going to pick me up at the airport. HAHA.
No seriously thanks guys for the help. Maybe it will happen for real.

Thanks again
Jonathan

ALTRNTV
10-19-2005, 04:04 PM
Haha.

So Cal is brutal to newcomers. Ask anyone.

SilviaNinja240
10-19-2005, 04:56 PM
you should try Nor Cal, it's 'Hella' cool ;)

ZK
10-19-2005, 05:07 PM
I'd say finish college and or go to college before you figure out where you want to go. Or else you can move out to go to college somewhere. The degree definitely helps you out no matter what job you get.

And yeah, NorCal is very cool as well. Many of the benefits of SoCal but less smog, less traffic, less crowded, more scenic (some places) and not as hot. Car scene is pretty big here as well. Still a pricey place to live.

FaLKoN240
10-19-2005, 05:07 PM
+1 for nor-cal, but sometimes I just wanna visit So-Cal.

m0rex
10-19-2005, 05:15 PM
Oxnard, Ca- best weather right there. Expensive as hell though.

ALTRNTV
10-19-2005, 06:09 PM

WORD. ;)

I love Oxnard weather. Expensive is the right word. You won't find any one-bedroom apartment here for less than $1000. Oxnard used to be a farm city, but houses are being built on those farmlands. Oxnard will be booming in the next 10 years.

MakotoS13
10-19-2005, 08:22 PM
i have a three bedroom town home with carport and concrete driveway for 500 a month.

God i love texas :)

drift freaq
10-19-2005, 08:38 PM
I'm moveing back to Oregon from cali. few cops,no import hateing cops, no traffic, no emmissions, no sales tax. you kinow the roads and you own the place. I have my own personal autobahn up there. can't wait to get bask. gotta love rual un-patrolled highways.

got to be loaded to move to so cal. 1 bedroom appt in san diego costs 1200+ a month
hate to say this Tenchuu but oregon freeway speed limits are very strictly enforced, and they are low. Whoever told you they were unpatrolled was pulling your leg ask Yoshi. As far as rents go in socal they are not nearly as bad as the bay area. At least you can get a one bedroom in socal for 1k in Los Angeles in good neighborhoods. Everyone knows, though San Diego is nice, its more expensive and the cops hate on you big time.
Depending on where you are in Los Angeles cops don't even look at you.

I live in one of the best Los Angeles Neighborhoods, Los Feliz ( Red Hot Chili peppers live here, Gwen Stefani lives here, Madonna used to etc....) cops don't even bother us here.

Oh ya and I am a ex norcal boy , grew in Palo Alto, lived in San Francisco for 9 years, great place , way overpriced though.
I am happy in socal . As I type this in the bay area at my Dads hahahhahaha

infinitexsound
10-19-2005, 09:23 PM

Thanks Guys
Jonathan Hartley

move out west and get involved with scca somehow like being a corner worker, or a grid worker....... i moved out to modesto, ca for awhile picked up and left cause it sucked there... definetly prefer the bay area... and landed a job at a race shop.. now all i do is travel and help with the cars...

RJF
10-19-2005, 10:16 PM

Best Weather????? I loved the marine layer where you wouldn't see the sun for days. Did alot of work at Pt. Hueneme a few years back.

Phlip
10-19-2005, 10:24 PM
See, what you people fail to realize is that this guy is in Macon County, North Carolina, WAY out damn near the west corner... There is nothing there, err... here:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a6/NCMap-doton-Franklin.PNG
... there are 99 other counties in this state, and I can name at least 10 that would give him what he seeks, without having to move 3/5 to ALL the way across the damned country.

m0rex
10-19-2005, 11:07 PM
Pt. Hueneme but Oxnard was always nice. Sometimes i'd be foggy in the morning but it always had kick ass weather when i lived over there. I couldnt even notice the weather until i moved over here well actually it was sometimes windy but overall always nice.

If i was really serious on moving i would take a trip out where ever you are going and ask the locals some questions. When i moved i never thought about the snow and actually it got expensive almost as expensive as living in cali. Our natural gas bill quadripled, we had to buy new clothes, new tires, new car, and a lot of other misc shitsnitz for the winter. Tell you the truth the amount of money i spend for living here equals what i use to spend in cali because in summer we also use the a/c all f'ing day.

MakotoS13
10-20-2005, 07:24 AM
oh and be sure to account for the hundreds of dollars typically associated with getting your car smog tested or whatever and keeping it all up to spec. hooray for cops being able to fine you for them thinking you car is louder than a toyota prius!

Hartley1080
10-20-2005, 08:34 AM
Yea PHLIP is right we are way the hell out here. I am pretty open minded person so living out west and things being a little different would not bother me. So how many here are involved in SCCA?

OptionZero
10-20-2005, 10:51 AM
It'd help to tell us what you do, what you're studying. Moving isn't gonna help if you can't afford a living!

If you're still in school, i'd definitely think about finishing (if u can in a year or so), get a degree, more important, work a bit to save and get experience. If you have family out west or wherever, that's one jumping point.

theicecreamdan
10-20-2005, 11:48 AM
oh and be sure to account for the hundreds of dollars typically associated with getting your car smog tested or whatever and keeping it all up to spec. hooray for cops being able to fine you for them thinking you car is louder than a toyota prius!

overstatement of the year.

undercoverdjay
10-20-2005, 12:11 PM
Ironically I moved TO Raleigh NC. I moved from Potsdam(northern) NY (as in 25 miles from Canada), and it was quite the change. Felt like a big area smack dab in the middle of nowhere though since 20 mins from outside of the city there was nothing at all, worse than my home town. I liked it there but my roomates turned into assholes and I took a pay cut, from 400-450 a week to 500 every TWO weeks. Living expenses were cheaper than NY. But I moved home.

Ive really been looking for a change of scenery myself but I have a great thing going on up here. Great friends, chill area, making money and able to spend almost every dime on my cars(yeah 2 S13's and an S12) so I'd hate to give this up. CA seems like it'd just be mad expensive but a nice place to visit. FL you'll die from hurricanes, CO seems pretty nice, Id be tempted to consider it. I wouldnt want to suggest any place north as NC has quite a temperature change from any northern climate.

Im 22 and 3 semesters into college so I dont have much of a choice, however, college gives you something a job wont, FREE housing. Get accepted to any college, any where and live off the government for the time you're there. Its like educated welfare, hehe. Just an option to consider, Id call about out of state funding, but Im PRETTY sure that you'll still qualify for federal aid, thats all I need to afford college. As for a job, if you're at all good at selling stuff RadioShack pays very well, commission basis job, good benefits for full timers, and its easy to make at least 10 an hour anywhere(not so much for urban areas as there are dozens of other RS stores and other electronics stores) plus you can take the job anywhere by transferring.

Food for thought, good luck to you

MakotoS13
10-20-2005, 12:13 PM
understatement of the year.

there fixed.

Tenchuu
10-23-2005, 08:18 PM
hate to say this Tenchuu but oregon freeway speed limits are very strictly enforced, and they are low. Whoever told you they were unpatrolled was pulling your leg ask Yoshi. As far as rents go in socal they are not nearly as bad as the bay area. At least you can get a one bedroom in socal for 1k in Los Angeles in good neighborhoods. Everyone knows, though San Diego is nice, its more expensive and the cops hate on you big time.
Depending on where you are in Los Angeles cops don't even look at you.

I live in one of the best Los Angeles Neighborhoods, Los Feliz ( Red Hot Chili peppers live here, Gwen Stefani lives here, Madonna used to etc....) cops don't even bother us here.

Oh ya and I am a ex norcal boy , grew in Palo Alto, lived in San Francisco for 9 years, great place , way overpriced though.
I am happy in socal . As I type this in the bay area at my Dads hahahhahaha

someone was BSing you man. i lives in ORegon for 22 years befor moving down here. the portland/eugene area is kinda patrolled, but i routineley drove 95+ accross the east 3/4 of the state. that's the part with no traffic and almost no cops.

yeah the limit is 65 but you really don't get tickets unless you go over 75. (the limit is 65 down here in SD too though, altho it goes to 75 further north)

so cal is as fun in my opinion. so i am going back soon!

oregon emmissions test-> can the traffic behind you see through the cloud of smoke comeing out of your tailpipe? yes or no. (yes=pass)

fliprayzin240sx
10-26-2005, 10:38 PM
well my family moved alot cuz my dad worked for the government and now im active airforce so ive been pretty much all over. If your car crazy, socali no doubt. Anything and everything is pretty much a spitball away *meets, drift events, tracks, parts, roads, weather and women* down side is socali will suck you dry. Cost of living is nuts. Seattle is koo but im not too fond of rain and snow. Personally, if you wanna move west, id either pick Vegas or Phoenix (maybe tucson). I say Vegas cuz its the fastest growing city in the states right now...jobs are easy to find and cost of living is still fairly cheap and your still 4 hrs away from socali. Phoenix, kinda like Vegas without as much job security. East coast, Florida is koo but hurricanes this season are nuts. Id either move to Tampa or Ft Lauderdale area.

TheSnail
10-26-2005, 11:20 PM
Move to Atlanta. Here unlike Cali, you can have guns that out power the police, and drive a car that runs off of methanol. Dont go to the middle of the US, they have tornados there. Don't go mid north, there is a total population of 500 between 4 states. Dont go mid south, they have laws that can get you fried if you brake them. Dont go northwest, it's too cold there. Don't go northeast, a pack of cigarettes is $7. I recommend moving east in NC, or the Southeast states excluding Louisiana and south Florida.

infinitexsound
10-29-2005, 04:18 AM
Yea PHLIP is right we are way the hell out here. I am pretty open minded person so living out west and things being a little different would not bother me. So how many here are involved in SCCA?
im a member of the SF region :werd: