PDA

View Full Version : Import Car Culture Graduation Project

BrokenHeart
10-18-2005, 11:24 PM
Well upon the input of others i actually started a graduation project about car culture...so far so good, everything has been turned in on time giving me a happy A.
This is kinda where I need the members of Zilvia to help.
I need four of the older members (21+) to answer an interview about present import car culture.
But before I start I'll put my project proposal (introduction) to get more of a feel of what I'm shooting for.

About six years ago I came upon a Honda Civic that would change the way I felt about non-domestic cars, not as a form of transportation but as a form of aart, expression, style, and passion. A long road followed this sighting causing me to be taken into a tremendous culture, which ranged from young to old, men to women, urban to rural, that all shared the same love for non-domestic automobiles. I arrived upon this culture and my topic with many years of research and experience about automotive workings, garages, and racing evironments, these situations have formed my life into a world of speed, g forces, and fear. A love for the way an engine roaring to life making my spine shiver, the rush of seeing roads blast by as my body is pressed intoa seat, and the thought that a person has built a beast that's not scared of limits, only those set by a driver is why I chose Import Automotive Culture as my Gradution Project.

Now thats outta the way feel free to flame away, but here are a few interview questions that a few of the older members could answer if they feel like.
If anyone has any questions call me at (360)259-7581 between 3:00 - 5:30 P.M.. Sorry the time period is so short its the only time I have between school and work (Yes, I have to work to get a 240)

1. Tell me about your automotive background, like what kind of cars have you "experimented" with, what do you enjoy doing in it, what got you started, etc.

2. Were you in the "scene" before the explosion that F&F started? If so, how did it effect you? If not, what made you get involved?

3. Have you done anything positive to try and get imports out of this "We are all a bunch of dumbasses that just wanna be JDM tyte yo" mentality? (Toys for Tots, Drifting for Katrina, etc.)

4. What are the average citizens reaction, if any, to your car?

5. Have you ever delt with law enforcement over autovotive issues?

6. Why do you think automotive modifications have become so popular over the past few years?

Man I thought I was gonna be able to come up with more questions then that, but oh well.
I'm gonna try and keep this thread updated on my progress with this project.
Thanks in advance

FaLKoN240
10-19-2005, 12:32 AM
I honestly think you don't deserve any flames for asking legitimate questions. Especially since Zilvia is filled with some OGs of import tuning.

ALTRNTV
10-19-2005, 01:33 AM
Great project to do! I'd help, but I'm not quite 21 yet, 2 more months!

Good luck on it.

SilviaNinja240
10-19-2005, 04:22 AM
I don't think the topic is silly at all. Interestingly enough I wrote a term paper about the subject for a class on US/Japan relations. I mainly contrast Japanese car culture to American car culture. I discuss everything from machine mechanics, cultural attitudes, geographical influences to trade relations. If you want a copy, I can sell you one (say $20), its a bit of a read about 70 pages, but it took me a few months to write up.

but anyways on to the questionare...

1) I've always enjoyed cars as a kid and I think beacause of knight rider and shows like that, that started my facination. Probably the most enjoyable thing about cars is obviously, the driving aspect. However its the feeling you get while driving briskely, rather than in traffic or the speed limit, that is exzilerating(sp?).

2) I got into the "car sence" after the F&F, however I never have seen the movie personally till just a few months ago. So it had zero affect on me. Rather what got me involved was that I finally was slowly releaving myself of fiscal problems and was able to afford more sports type cars.

3) Yes, I entirely agree with that statement. Like in any crowd there are always bad apples, and sadly they are the ones that get all the limelight, simply beacause it becomes a specticle with them. However the demographic is usually 60-65% them, and 40-35% of drivers that can be adult about the situation. However, nobody can truely be perfect. the 'adult' persentile i'm sure as engaged itself in a asortment of spirted driving activities ;)

4) Usually they are like 'whoa, nice car'.

5) Never, master of the incognito(sp?)

6) I think its beacause in the 80s most kids were usually getting domestic cars, it could possibly be due to the hostile (business) takeovers the Japanese were doing at the time. Nonetheless, people just weren't interested in import car modification. Yet, I argue that there still was a 'car culture' in the states and there always was one during this time. Anywho, When the Japanese economic bubble blew, and with the 90s emerging, Japanese companies in America re-thought about their marketing strategy, and release more cars with aftermarket support. Plus since they were more reliable AND cheaper for parts, repairs etc.. than the American cars, people bought em up. Plus the media influences such as F&F and Initial D helped too.
Anyways, Its just a theory

MakotoS13
10-19-2005, 08:01 AM
too bad this has been done to death and it was a stupid cliche idea the first time it was attempted.

BrokenHeart
10-19-2005, 08:46 AM
Thanks to most people for being supportive of me...
And to Makoto I know its been done to death. But keep in mind you said "attempted", I'm going a step beyond that and succeed.

Phlip
10-19-2005, 09:08 AM
Email me your questions and I'll do you the favor of not creating any of my long winded answers to clutter the forum. I'm 26 if you needed to know and my email address is [email protected]

the head
10-19-2005, 09:22 AM
1. Tell me about your automotive background, like what kind of cars have you "experimented" with, what do you enjoy doing in it, what got you started, etc.

I have had a lot of different cars my first car I began working on was a 1967 ford mustang. I got it from a family member when I was 13 and started restoring/customizing it since then I have always had a project car/street track race car. I have had two trans ams a 94 and a 99. Currently I have my 240 sx, and 89 ferrari testarossa, the 67 mustang and a 66 corvette. I got into cars because it was a way to express myself. I didn’t really have artistic ability but I needed to find a vent for my creativity. I found that working on the mechanics of a vehicle relaxed me and I also realized that it was something that came very naturally to me.

2. Were you in the "scene" before the explosion that F&F started? If so, how did it effect you? If not, what made you get involved?

Yes I was, all of a sudden everyone in a car accident was killed in a “street racing” accident or killed by a “street racer” according to the news. There are risks associated with the life but on the same side if you know what you are doing you can always minimize risks. Since I started streetracing when I was 17 I have seen only one accident and no injuries/fatalities. Soon after the media blitz the police created a task force of morons that drove around trying to start streetlight races with kids in modified cars. With the help of a local forum we had the vehicles pegged in about three weeks. Also after the movie came out many kids tried to turn it from pride/sport races into money races. No complaints here though just more money for car parts.

3. Have you done anything positive to try and get imports out of this "We are all a bunch of dumbasses that just wanna be JDM tyte yo" mentality? (Toys for Tots, Drifting for Katrina, etc.)

A few local groups are beginning to do import carshows for charity which helps a lot I still think that there are a lot of dumbasses out there though

Depends, the Nissan hasn’t been painted (white body black bumper and some bondo) so I get looks of disgust to looks of wonderment and everything in between. Silvia frontends are fairly rare around here so many people ask me what kind of car it is.

Yes I have had my licence pulled once for speeding violations. It is not an enjoyable experience. I also had my car impounded and was taken to jail on a no front plate charge, just remember no matter how much he asks for it making jokes at a cops expense with witnesses around to laugh at him is not a very good idea.

6. Why do you think automotive modifications have become so popular over the past few years?

I think it is all about individuality, just like the hot rodders of the 30s, 40s, 50s. People want to be different, to stand out in a crowd. The only difference between us and the old hot rodders is they are old now and they bitch about loud cars and flashy paint jobs. They forget that when they were young they did the same thing.

If you have any other questions e-mail me [email protected] BTW I am 25

BlazzinZ88
10-19-2005, 09:28 AM

Man I thought I was gonna be able to come up with more questions then that, but oh well.
I'm gonna try and keep this thread updated on my progress with this project.
Thanks in advance

Ok for the record my name is Craig and I am 23 years old from Pennsylvania in Muscle Car Country which makes it ruff for me tuning my import car.

Answers
1. I had allways loved cars ever since I was a little kid, I would setup races with hot wheels and match box cars. Even as a child I appreciated the artful lines of cars as would be reflected in favortism of some of my toys that I would be very careful with. While others I wound throw around and break. I grew up being taken to dirt track races and having family members and friends of family fixing up their v8 muscle cars and listing to the growl of v8. All my life I never even touched or even cared about a import car as I was raised in an enviroment the mocked them. I never even drove an import until I got my first one in 2002 after comeing back from college. My first car started out as a celebrity which in a way probably helped me get in to the tuner world as it was a cheap family car that was nothing special other than haveing the High Output version of the 2.8 v6. I initialy hated the car cause I wanted an El Camino as my car when I turned 16 the whole time I was growing up and if not that at least a RWD v8 car. But alas I had to work with what I got so I just did a couple little tweaks to it and boosted it performance a little bit and started doing light to light races on the main strip in my area against other cars of its caliber and I was doing great at it. Which built my respect up so much for the car I even picked up a convertible one to fix while I was in college. This is when the sickness starting sitting in that would eventually make my back yard look like a used car lot LOL. Well fate would come in and change my life with cars forever in about a year. On my way back to school at 1am after previously racing a fox body cobra though the winding roads of route 20 in PA in the moutins I had to get gas before getting on the turnpike in Irwin since I burned all my fuel up in the race. After filling up the tank I pull out of the station and have my frame split in half from the bolts that hold the front part of the frame to the rear pull right out of the body due to rust. So my beloved fist car had kicked the bucket. I would go through 2 replacement cars after this that would die in a matter of 6 months till I got out of college a 88 Corsica and a 84 Potiac Grand Lemans v6. Both were heaping piles of crap but at least the Potiac gave me a taste a RWD fun. So when I came home from college and started looking for a car that is when I found my 88 300zx. I knew the car was destined to be mine as this was the second time I found it. The first time was 200 miles away in Pittsburgh when I was looking for a car to replace my celebrity but decided against it as I had not learned at that time how to drive a stick and didn't want to learn in Pittsburgh Traffic. And here it was some how traveling 200 miles to a dealership in my home town the exact car I looked at in Pittsburgh not just a look alike. I took out a loan and entered the world of import ownership and have never looked back since. With my Z I came the love of going to auto cross events, drag strips, street raceing actual cars not just eco cars. Sitting behind the wheel of that car for the first time shooting though hairpin mountin roads at 90+mph gave a filling of exhileration that was like taking a glimpse at heaven that I could never achieve in any vehicle I had previously owned. Alas this wouldn't last long as 2 weeks later my beloved z would be rearended in front of my house thanks to a drunk driver. But much good would come from this as the insurence money coverd not only it being fixed but I was able to get a cherokee to save the car from salty winter driving plust got me the money to turbo my car. My life has never been the same since I have experienced turbo driving. After that I relised that I never understood what fast was. Is was like a drug I kept turning the boost up I had to go faster, and faster. When I couldn't go any faster with the stock parts I started me into this unrational mind set of not caring about my bills as long as I could charge the parts to get a few more horse power out of the car. Some times I swear speed can be as ore more adictive than any drug out their.

2. I came into the scene after fast and furious. It didn't really affect me it helped boost my love I allready had for the supra thats about it, but I do love the movie from and entertainment point and to use quotes from it joking around with my friends. Grand tourismo 2 I would have to say is what got me interested in imports. As when I started the game I couldn't afford any of the cars I wanted so I settled with a used Mark 3 supra turbo. I found the car able to destroy just about any car in the game even as I played on I stuck with my supra in it and would even beat down the car that my friends would use that I had originally wanted. This made me go out look for one. I found a sweet 91 white targa turbo for 5,000 in terrific shape with a just recently rebuilt turbo and 75,000 miles on it but fate would not have me own this car as the banks wouldn't give me a all purpose loan for $5000 as I had little credit at the time even with a co signer. They would only give me an actual car loan for the money but I couldn't afford full coverage on the vehicle as the costs would have been tremendous and I wouldn't have been driving it in winter yet I would not have been able to take it off of insurence at the time so it passed me by. Then later I got my 300zx as I said before and trully enterd the world of import tuning. Then the popularity of drifing is what got my attention to the 240sx. My 300zx is a great car and all but it sucks at drifting so when a budy of mine found a 89 240sx for $500 I jumped on it, it was an automatic but the car was a blast to drive. It was the 1st 4 cylinder I ever drove or owned. I loved taking it out in wet parking lots and just sliding all over the place you just get such a high as you start pulling all of those later G's this then made me want to build up a 240sx but the one I had was in to ruff of shape frame wise from rust spots being patched to make a good platform so I a few weeks ago when I payed off my loan for my Z I took out another loan at picked up a 92 5speed 240sx And I love the car. I can't wait till I get the money for an engine swap and coil overs. Till then it will be my sporty gas sipper. Now I have 5 vehicles sitting in my back yard 1 300zx, 2 240sx, 1 jeep, 1 celebrity. I wonder if I should get a sign that says Craigs Used Cars lol.

3. I try to promote a good image by not overdoing things. I keep my cars visually simple a little thing hear or their but no 10' wing on the back, or so much speaker equipment that it looks like you robbed circuit city. And if I street race I never do it around where people can get hurt, if someone tries to goat me into a race with traffic and such I ignore them. If I go out drifting I do it very late in empty lots with nobody around that I could accidently hit.

4. I get mixed reactions from just normal people they say wow that a nice car or I like that color and such. But from the muscle car jerks they just make fun of it even to the point that 1 guy at a car show told me if I want people to look at my car I should put a 350 v8 in it. I counterd him with why would I want to make my car slower. Nothing I like better than dusting muscle cars that don't show me respect with my turbo 300zx. To the muscle car guys to do treat me with respect I do the same with them.

5. I have delt with law enforcement but not ever anything related to this. Like I said when I do stupid stuff in my car I don't do it around innocent people or in areas cops are known to target for enforcement. I also do the bulk of my racing at the track.

6. I think the automotive modification market has become so popular is that people are seeing that you can by for instance a srt 4 neon for $21,000 and have a 230hp. Or you could by a used 240sx for instance for $2,000 and invest the other $19,000 you saved into it and have a monster car that could outperform just about anything on the road. On the other end of the spectrum for people with money that buy new cars they can by cheaper super cars like the srt4, evo, sti, ext and make them faster that vets and vipers. Also it is a form of personal expression. When you add ground effects you are tring to say hay look at me, see what I want aren't you jelous, don't you want to try to 1 up me. Also the way pop culture and magazines glorifies modifing your car. At least those are my ideas at why it is.

I know that was kinda long winded but I figured if you are gonna write a report you need as much information as you can get. Drop me an email if you have any other questions.

rockinpandas
10-19-2005, 10:42 AM
^^^^^ dang people do care ^^^^^
good write up im sure he appreciates it
i would help but i dont meet the requirements

Shri2222
10-19-2005, 08:38 PM
I'm 22

My Automotive background gose back to when i was 17yrs old. I started working on my first car then, it was a Nissan Altima, at first I hated it and I wanted a Muscle car. It was slow, I wanted speed. I began searching for parts. I knew nothing back then. A intake was a nice discovery for me then. I stubbled on to Altimas.net I then built "blue sex" the first Blue custom painted altima, stillen lip, HS headers etc... I started going to meets, and then made my own Team XTC Motorsports. I then became involved with car shows by 18-19yrs old. I didn't know anyone into cars when i got into it, I learned on my own from reading forums like this. I then went to Apex Tech and got certifed in Autobody and welding. I currently work at a autoparts store as a manager, and I'm gonna be starting at my new job as a Servies manager. I'm currently building my S13 coupe. I've has a Altima 95 and 96, Eclipse 00, and my 91 240sx.

I've been in the scene since 98ish, long b4 fast and the furious. The movie didn't affect me other then the new crowd of ricer explosion.

No, but i'm tring to open a shop up next yr, so I plan to use the scene to help out.

Turns heads, I've been approched by people asking me about it, my older blue altima.

Yes, I have gotten 36 tickets since i've had my licence. 12 were parking tickets, the rest illegal equipment, noise polution, and moving violations.

It's grown from enthusiest to posers who just want to work on cars because it's "cool" Now driving a hooked up car is like dressing good. The scene has grown and become a style. There alot of posers who just hook up their car to look cool. They know nothing or care about much about it.

FaLKoN240
10-19-2005, 11:30 PM
Damn, you're gettin hooked up by the zilvians.

BrokenHeart
10-19-2005, 11:44 PM
OMG guys thank you to everyone who answered my interview thing. Thanks to everyone who was supportive of my project.
Ill keep everyone updated on the progress of the project. The essay part starts next monday.
Zilvians are my heros!

Edit: Ahhh shit I forgot to ask for peoples names...sorry. I already have, the head and blazzinZ88, but i need SilviaNinja and Shri2222. If you cant get it to me its alrite but its just to help my thing look a little more professional. Sorry again for the screw up.

infinitexsound
10-19-2005, 11:54 PM

well for one working on cars is no easy task at all, not just anyone can do it day in and day out. as my automotive background i have plenty. i started in highschool in autoshop learned the basic like tools and maintenance, and oil viscosity and so forth. then after highschool i started at a autobody shop for about 4 years i worked their and got sick of it.. it was great pay by far but some of the people i worked with could swallow my load. thats the thing working in the industry, you definetly learn about peoples character. while i was doing that i was going to the junior college to get certfied in welding. so i quit that place moved to modesto. one of the weirdest place i had ever lived took a large pay cut and delivered car parts to the greater modesto area.. that job sucked by far. left modesto and moved back to my hometown. and got a job at a place called classic motorsports. mainly what i do now is basically help with all the race cars and do what ever needs to be done for each car to be ready for the next race.. so far ive been to a few races like the mid ohio runoffs and the laguna seca world challenge race. this job by far is one of the toughest jobs ive ever done. its definetly long hours. 16 hr a day usually before race day. loading trailors and packing them again after the race. helping setting up cars, and installing motors when need be. honestly this is one of my dreams to be working on cars i do now.. world challenge bmw's SMC cars aka spec miata class and gt2 porche and gt3 350z and 240's. if your the type to complain about the job then obviously the auto or motorsport field is not for u. my favorite car i like to work on has to be my own car.. cause i know that i built it and its all my hard earned cash and skills put to work.

it didnt effect me really, i thought it was kinda a cool movie to watch 1 time at the theaters. but as for the racing aspect of it , its definetly pure trash to my eyes. because on a technicality standpoint theres definetly more to do to a car then just throw shit into it hoping the car would be fast. it came and flew past me. what got me involved into racing.well when i was about 7 my neighbor was a motogp guy and brought me to a few bike races in vallejo.. thats what first got me intrested. then it was gran turismo 1. i played that alot when i was a kid and definetly still play it today.. gran turismo is by far the best racing game series ever. hands down...

no i dont care, about what others do with their lives.. or what ever mentality they have. honestly u can be a cool guy working the field in any which way u can or u can be a asshole. typing on a keyboard on forum message boards acting like u know everything from readin whats typed by others. jdm tyte isnt always best either.. grassroots is so much better..

that guy drives like an asshole is what i get alot...

5. Have you ever delt with law enforcement over automovotive issues?

not so much cause i dont like to draw any attention to myself... but ive had speeding tickets but thats just the norm for anyone..

because history repeats itself its the cycle...from hot rods to imports. to what ever it will be next.

Shri2222
10-20-2005, 09:15 AM
OMG guys thank you to everyone who answered my interview thing. Thanks to everyone who was supportive of my project.
Ill keep everyone updated on the progress of the project. The essay part starts next monday.
Zilvians are my heros!

Edit: Ahhh shit I forgot to ask for peoples names...sorry. I already have, the head and blazzinZ88, but i need SilviaNinja and Shri2222. If you cant get it to me its alrite but its just to help my thing look a little more professional. Sorry again for the screw up.

My name is Shridhar Babu Shri for short

SilviaNinja240
10-20-2005, 04:47 PM

and I'm Luke

axiomatik
10-20-2005, 10:25 PM
I guess I'll help out too.

Name: ---

1. Throughout my entire life, I have been pretty much obsessed with cars, it has always been my number one hobby in one form or another. The first drawings I did when I was a kid were of cars. Naturally, once I was old enough to drive, I wasn't content to leave my car alone. While I have worked on quite a few cars in a maintenance or repair fashion, the only car I have modified is my 240SX, which I have owned for just about 10 years now. Except for a couple of extenuating circumstances, I have done all the work on my car myself. Despite my life-long obsession with cars, by the time I was 16 I still had very little practical knowledge about cars. The first few years I owned my car, I focused only on maintenance and repair (often with the help of my uncle) for two reasons. First, I was pretty much broke, so I couldn't afford to do much more. Secondly, there were almost no parts available for the 240sx then, and pretty much no community to learn from like there is now. Once I got into college (1998), I started seriously looking for ways to customize my car, though it was very hard to find any kind of performance part for the 240SX then. I envied the Honda guys for having such a huge selection of parts to choose from. The most rewarding part of owning my car is driving down an empty, winding road in the country. Almost everything I do to my car is done to improve that experience.

2. Yeah, I was in the "scene" long before F&F came out. I don't think that F&F caused any kind of 'explosion' at all. There has been a very large and healthy import scene since the mid 90s that has steadily grown over the years. I don't think F&F changed anything for anyone who was already into imports. What it did do was to make the scene much more visible to average Americans, and possibly given a more negative association to those who work on import cars. The popularity of drifting has had a much larger impact on my life, as it has popularized the 240. Since then, many, many shops have sprung up that import parts for our cars, and now I enjoy a broad selection of parts I never could have imagined back in 1998.

3. I try to present a positive example whenever I drive. I never street-race, and I ignore anyone who tries to challenge me on the streets. When I am driving around town, I never go more than 5 mph over the speed limit, and basically try to be as courteous as I can. I don't want to get traffic tickets, and have been very successful so far, which is why my yearly car insurance bill, for both my wife and I combined, is only $700 a year, whereas some people on here are paying over $2000 a year.

4. Very few people know what a 240SX is, so usually I am asked first what it is. Next, they usually ask what kind of engine it has (as in 4 cylinder, 6 cylinder, etc.), and then tell me I have a nice car. People who are into imports usually ask me if I have a turbo or if I did an engine swap, etc.

5. I've gotten a few tickets for going 10mph over on the freeway, but nothing more serious than that, and have been able to take driver's ed, so no points on my license.

6. Automotive modifications have always been popular from hot rodders of the 50's, muscle cars of the 60s and 70s, etc. However, it has definitely grown exponentially in the last decade. I think there are several reasons for this. First, the oil embargo and new emissions regulations in the 70's seriously hurt automotive performance for the rest of the 70's and 80's. In the 90's, cars' performance was starting to come back and people again became more interested in improving the performance. At the same time, many young people drove imports because they were inexpensive, reliable and economical to run. When they wanted to modify their cars, they became aware of what was being done in Japan, and started duplicating it here. I think that this new style of modifying brought over from Japan spilled over into other areas and sparked a lot of innovation and growth in the aftermarket industry as a whole, which in turn has appealed to a broader market of people.