PDA

View Full Version : Weed Makes You Smart...maybe

zenkiDori
10-16-2005, 11:43 PM
the article:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20051014.wxcanna1014/BNStory/specialScienceandHealth/

and the actual research paper(PDF):
http://www.jci.org/cgi/reprint/JCI25509v1.pdf

420sx
10-16-2005, 11:50 PM
im full of sceptisism here. proof of pot being degrading can be found after talking to any of your pothead buddies (Everyone has at least 1). however theres other factors involved like stress, alcohol or other substance abuse hehehe :boink:

S14DB
10-16-2005, 11:57 PM
Smart? Did you put the bong down to read the article? It has to do with eliminating the nausea and vomiting associated with post-operative analgesics or cancer and AIDS treatments. Not getting smarter... :loco:

zenkiDori
10-17-2005, 12:05 AM
read the actual research paper. I'm not saying the study says it increases your intelligence or anything, but more brain cells and connections == good. the maybe is because they didn't test THC but another form of cannabinoid which is 100X more potent called HU210. i just thought it was a neat study. also, i don't smoke weed so no i did not have a bong in hand when reading it. i'm not trying to say pot makes you smart(there's a maybe), just a catchy title because the article deals with cannabinoids. just read the article and research paper and come to your own conclusions. it also helps if you at least graduated high school.

furthermore, the same studies that people like to quote so often that refer to pot lowering your IQ also state that once use has stopped, there is no more negative effect.Current marijuana use had a negative effect on global IQ score only in subjects who smoked 5 or more joints per week. A negative effect was not observed among subjects who had previously been heavy users but were no longer using the substance. We conclude that marijuana does not have a long-term negative impact on global intelligence.
from one of those articles. just FYI.

zenkiDori
10-17-2005, 12:07 AM
I found the article here BTW: http://science.slashdot.org/science/05/10/16/0229239.shtml?tid=99&tid=14

drifter808
10-17-2005, 12:21 AM
I had a bong in hand when i read this. hahaha

that180guy
10-17-2005, 12:41 AM
woo hooo!!!! blaze on!

m0rex
10-17-2005, 02:34 AM
Theres a lot of marijuana hype right now. I see it smell it and hear a lot of people talking about it everyday everywhere.

Ghettokracker71
10-17-2005, 08:55 AM
"marijuana is bad,mmkay"

Sorry,I had to be the first asshole to post that :-D

SochBAT
10-17-2005, 09:03 AM
Sometimes, i actually think its good to smoke weed. Being as it stimulates (and later, kills) your braincells, you should try studying while affected. I used to read the dictionary, or synonym finder just for kicks, and to pick up a new word every so often.

Jeff240sx
10-17-2005, 09:54 AM
The claim that it doesn't effect long-term intelligence is a fallacy. Sure, its not as bad later, but even I find myself showing signs of it 8 years after putting the bong down. Like, if I get interrupted during a conversation, I absolutely cannot remember what I was talking about.
-Jeff

MakotoS13
10-17-2005, 10:32 AM
not to mention the fact that i say dude more than i use conjunctions. i hate drugs so much now, nobody every mentions the fact that they rob you of clarity... then again the same people that say they make you think better are retarded pot-heads.

lame.

zenkiDori
10-17-2005, 11:01 AM
getting confused isn't alwasys caused by drugs. most people, as they get older, become less clear thinking anyway. for now i'll trust the scientists.

MakotoS13
10-17-2005, 12:00 PM
i'll trust the fact that most people who smoke pot are complete losers with zero ambition even if they had all the smarts in the world.

intelligence is meaningless without application.

SRkouki
10-17-2005, 01:48 PM
i'll trust the fact that most people who smoke pot are complete losers with zero ambition even if they had all the smarts in the world.
sounds more like an opinion rather than fact....
If you look at the facts, smoking pot is less harmful than smoking cigarettes. Pot is not physically addictive, UNLIKE cigarettes and alcohol (both of which are LEGAL).

Secondly, the stereotypes that pot smokers are bums and useless individuals are completely incorrect.There are MANY intelligent individuals who smoke cannabis and do very well in society.

SW20Racer
10-17-2005, 01:53 PM
i now a guy that was a pot smokin hippie back in his day and he became a damn good brain surgeon. if youre going to say smoking pot makes you stupid you might as well lump in drinking and watching tv. theres a simple code to live by: everything in moderation.

that180guy
10-17-2005, 06:22 PM
todays pot heads, are tomorrows presidents. :lmao
i hate the fact that somebody doing something, is automatically associated with being stoopid, a loser, no ambition, etc.

Phlip
10-17-2005, 06:33 PM
Has anyone tried to hold a conversation with a pothead? And I don't mean that dude who smokes a bowl to wind down after work every few days, I mean that motherfucker who is unremorseful about smoking 3 blunts every morning on his way to work as "breakfast," then goes on to exhibit his overtly annoying laugh (everyone has been repulsed by the pothead laugh at some point) in response to shit that is LESS THAN funny and can't remember the answer to questions that he asked you just 8 minutes ago. THAT motherfucker is why I quit hustling and got a real job and a college degree.

SW20Racer
10-17-2005, 07:50 PM
^^^^^^completely backing up my point. Too much of anything isnt good for you, too much water, you drown. too much air, your lungs explode et c. I dont know of anything stating this as a fact, but ive noticed that people who smoke shwag regularly are usually the ones with the retarded stoner laughs and such. While people who smoke "A" grade pot can actually hold a real conversation when smoking (also, high grade smokers dont need to smoke as much since their product will keep you up much longer, and the desire to hoard such pot is inherent)