PDA

View Full Version : college suggestions

Marty
10-16-2005, 07:02 PM
Hello all. I'm starting my sophmore year at Elizabethtown College in PA right now and I'm sort of looking to transfer after this semester. I was wondering if any of you had any suggesions as to schools you would recommend. I am slightly considering going somewhere in Cali but I'm open to anything. Thanks.

ThatGuy
10-16-2005, 07:13 PM
PSU

No better place in Pa. That's where I grew up.

What are you looking to Major in?

Andrew Bohan
10-16-2005, 08:18 PM
harvard is always good. princeton and yale too.
in cali, check out stanford

ALTRNTV
10-16-2005, 08:31 PM
Yea, telling us what major or career you want will help in the decision making process.

EchoOfSilence
10-17-2005, 12:32 AM
UC Berkeley. there.

SilviaNinja240
10-17-2005, 07:45 AM
Go to whatever college is best recommended for your major, and disregard everything else

ranisron
10-17-2005, 09:23 AM
is money a concern for you (PA being in state?)

Pitt or CMU!

If not, you can join the drunken college of Indiana Univ. of PA or become a hoosier by joing the real IU (bloomington)

EchoOfSilence
10-17-2005, 05:06 PM
Berkeley is #1 Public School in the country, and it specializes in EVERYTHING. no better way to go.
and plus it's in the Bay Area, CA

ZK
10-17-2005, 05:14 PM
Berkeley is #1 Public School in the country, and it specializes in EVERYTHING. no better way to go.
and plus it's in the Bay Area, CA

Haha.. and the Bay Area is a good thing? I guess, I live here. But its a big world out there. I don't know if he'd want to move across the country.

Find out what you'd like to study and find out which school is good in what. The main thing is, see what schools you can get into by applying to them.

It doesn't matter if you WANT to go somewhere if they don't ACCEPT you. :p

EchoOfSilence
10-17-2005, 05:15 PM
he said he wanted to go to California lol

OptionZero
10-17-2005, 05:19 PM
What your major is has very little to do with what you end up doing.

Don't just look at school rankings, look at the area. The Bay Area is good because there's lots of busineses and such, and if you go to Silicon Valley down south a bit, you can find tons of tech companies; head north to Sacramento and you'll have government jobs (thats me) everywhere, there's law firms in Sac, Oakland, SF, and LA.

So even if you don't get into Berkeley, which might be tougher on out-of-state residents, if you find a school that offers something close to the major you had in mind, it may lead to employment opportunities despite being subpar (Relatively) academically.

Also, you probably don't want to LIVE in Berkeley, it seems pretty ghetto to me. I like visiting there, and i go there for work sometimes, there's great food...but i dont know if i'd wanna walk around there every day. Plus it's frickin crowded.

S14DB
10-17-2005, 05:29 PM
Frostburg State University
http://www.frostburg.edu/

rokmplutonium
10-17-2005, 05:53 PM
UPenn
UCLA
-Good business, law, and medical programs.
USC (Just check that you won't be applying for financial aid, and you'll get in for sure!)
-I think its $80,000 a semester
-Good law and medical programs.
UCSB (Major parties) [ Biggiest holloween parties in the country ] (Right by the beach)
-Good business, biology, and oceanography programs
UCSD [Just an hour away from Mexico] (Right by the beach)
-Good biology and oceanography programs

Marty
10-17-2005, 11:13 PM
I'm majoring in bio/pre-med at the moment, although I'm not sure if I'm going to change somewhere down the road but its what I am right now. I don't think I have to worry a whole lot about acceptance I was valedictorian and really involved and got into some ivy league and such after high school and I've been doing well in college. I don't think money is really an issue either. It's just that where I'm at seems boring and isn't a match for me.

Marty
10-19-2005, 03:38 PM
Anyone on here go to UCSB? If so could you tell me more about it?

RiversideS13
10-19-2005, 03:45 PM
after you started upper division class and study for MCAT, you will not get bore.

ALTRNTV
10-19-2005, 03:47 PM
UCSB is the premier party school in California.

RiversideS13
10-19-2005, 03:48 PM
you will realize how weak you are in the UC system. if you still able to maintain high rank in UC, then i got to say you are the man.

UCLA and UCSD had med school and good courses.