PDA

View Full Version : D1GP US vs. Japan

DARKEST_HOUR
10-03-2005, 04:40 PM
After watching formula D last night I think the U.S has a chance of getting 4th or at least 3rd.What do u guys think.?

TheSquidd
10-03-2005, 06:25 PM
AFter attending D1GP US. VS. Japan last year, I'd be amazed if anyone even qualifies.

U.S. D1 was terrrrrrible.

Flybert
10-03-2005, 11:15 PM
I plan on competing in D1 drivers search in hopes to compete in the main event. For that reason, I say we have a good chance at winning this year. AHAHAHAHA FLYBERT FOR THE WIN!!!!!!

kazuo
10-03-2005, 11:51 PM
+1 in agreement with Squidd.

US D1 drivers simply are not up to the level of the Japanese drivers, and that is to be expected, since some of them literally have more than a decade of experience over the American ones, who have like, 5 yrs tops for the most part, if that.

yoteru
10-03-2005, 11:57 PM
After watching formula D last night I think the U.S has a chance of getting 4th or at least 3rd.What do u guys think.?

After watching Formula D last night (I assume you are talking about irwindale) no i dont think we have a chance at the podium. Although i think that Rhys Millen would be our best bet.

Maybe in another year and on the Irwindale course we might have a chance at it.

Just my opinion, but what i do i know...

SochBAT
10-04-2005, 03:36 AM
Japans' drivers (for the most part) learned on mountain roads, which makes them pick the safest line, and keeps the stress level up, keeping their skills sharp as nails. US drivers are (for the most part) track guys. Sadly, Japan's street guys could easily own our US drivers, being as cop there don't really trip on that, solong as nothing is damaged, and everyone respects others properties. US cops are more along the lines of "Yes, here comes my paycheck rolling in with lowered suspension and loud exhaust. Time to rip him a new one"

NI_YON_Zenki
10-04-2005, 04:19 AM
Bump that sochbat. I have to agree with the Initial part of his post. .. . They've got us. They have the time / The patients / & most / the passion. I believe that everyone in here would agree to that much alone. I've held thoughts about this Motorsport since 99' (Big UPs).. .. & As far as the cops. Can't see Me. I don't want to sound-off > But Henry, Duke. I have love for yah' but.. .. The traffic Brotha, the damn traffic. you couldn't see that though. .. . he has come a long way with that S14A. .. .

So getting a bit overzelous is nothing new. I can not say I wouldn't have done that myself. .. .(But then, thats just me).

So to all those who jump the gun more than necessary, watch yah' backs, cause they'll pull over a honey pulling 106 coming thru the Desert Hills. (some of you know). .. .Just keep Practicing. .. .Love It Or Leave It Alone.

Keep This Alive. There Are TrUe Enthusiasts On Here. .. .

(P/S) JAPAN CARRIES GENERATIONS of THIS. .. .24

SilviaNinja240
10-04-2005, 04:59 AM
Its funny, its somewhat rare to find a run-of-the-mill japanese car enthusiast. When some japanese dude decides cars is his hobby, they go all out. Like going to track events in Nor Cal, anyone with hopes, dreams and a car is there. stock or with heavy modifications, you get a little of both. But in Japanese track events, I've only seen hardcore super dooper mega car enthusiasts there.

420sx
10-04-2005, 07:42 AM
i really dont give a fuck who wins. to me its just a good show.

Var
10-04-2005, 12:12 PM
The key to winning is horsepower. The driver hardly does anything.

TheSquidd
10-04-2005, 02:04 PM
:jerkit:

Message length.

ZK
10-04-2005, 03:21 PM
I think the US drivers and equipment has come a long way. In the first D1 GP, only Rhys kept up with any of them in the Supra he was driving. A lot of the US cars were modified street cars, not the purpose built race cars the Japanese were driving. Also, the skill was just not there, its different to drift on a cone course than to go 100mph towards a wall sideways.

Now I think the US guys have a lot better chance now but the Japanese are still better. We're just not as serious into it as they are. Do you see any US drivers going to Japan to compete on their own money (not sponsor's money) like the Japanese do?

NismoSilvia270R
10-04-2005, 04:15 PM
Now I think the US guys have a lot better chance now but the Japanese are still better. We're just not as serious into it as they are. Do you see any US drivers going to Japan to compete on their own money (not sponsor's money) like the Japanese do?

that silvia truck was awesome. i want to meet nishida.

u.s. has some good drivers.

i want to see vids from the falken pikes peak dealy.
maybe that will convince me that we have a better chance

chlatboy
10-04-2005, 06:46 PM

Yea, but can you name a US driver who has the money to do it? Most of the D1 drivers have some sort of sponsorship to way to have incoming funds such as vertex and ueno and uras from nomuken! I doubt phiffier makes much from battle version to be able to pay for him to drift in japan!!

DARKEST_HOUR
10-05-2005, 10:28 PM
The europeans did pretty good at there special d1 match.
http://www.drifting.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16386
PICS (http://doristars.com/v-web/gallery/D1GP)

Maybe soon Japan Vs U.K Vs U.S

ZK
10-06-2005, 10:03 AM
Yea, but can you name a US driver who has the money to do it? Most of the D1 drivers have some sort of sponsorship to way to have incoming funds such as vertex and ueno and uras from nomuken! I doubt phiffier makes much from battle version to be able to pay for him to drift in japan!!

Not really, what about the guy in the Daihatsu Charade? The independent guys? They still showed up in the US paying on their own. The drifting in the US is too commerically driven with companies and sponsorships. The Japanese guys are into it and drift whether they have backing or not. For them this is their lives, for the US drivers, its a weekend pastime.

kognition
10-06-2005, 10:26 AM
US drivers shouldn't be able to beat Japans drivers anytime soon. US drivers have had to learn drifting in a completely different mindset with different motivations.

Having to drop $150 just to get out and drift on a track makes for an experienced but broke drifter. Not to mention destroying perfectly good tires.
It is a bitter sweet sport for the typical enthusiast.

420sx
10-06-2005, 12:52 PM
yea.... where for most people "fun" lasts 15 min till u burn through the set of new tires :hahano:

i dont see it possible without major cash or sponsorship

kognition
10-06-2005, 01:09 PM
Yup,
I'm still trying to figure out just who is cashing in on the sport. And it looks to me like the event promotors are winning. :coolugh:

yea.... where for most people "fun" lasts 15 min till u burn through the set of new tires :hahano:

i dont see it possible without major cash or sponsorship

TheSquidd
10-06-2005, 02:19 PM
I think U.S. drifting is at that point, like any business, where it's in the red. Sure there are people profiting off the sport, but I bet there's a lot of money not being returned from investment into these events. I think most of it is companies can have product exposure for relatively cheap (compared to more popular sports) and supporting their drivers is relatively cheap for now.

Eventually the sport may turn profitable and maybe even become a legitimate event with legitimate judging. At that point, a lot of these sponsors will pull out and let the big guys come into play, having had their exposure during the infancy of the sport.

And the fun for me continued when in 15 minutes I had burned up a set of used old tires ^_^ who the hell drifts on new tires?

yoteru
10-06-2005, 02:33 PM
Not really, what about the guy in the Daihatsu Charade? The independent guys? They still showed up in the US paying on their own. The drifting in the US is too commerically driven with companies and sponsorships. The Japanese guys are into it and drift whether they have backing or not. For them this is their lives, for the US drivers, its a weekend pastime.

the us is to commerically driven? it is more so in japan. and how many independent drivers do you see place? place?

side note: didnt the guy in the daihatsu die on the way to the track or something like that?

kognition
10-07-2005, 12:35 PM
Has drifting always been commercially driven since the beginning in Japan? Or has it just recently become so? I wish i had the time and money to go out there
before i have my first child. Maybe i will.
///////

the us is to commerically driven? it is more so in japan. and how many independent drivers do you see place? place?

side note: didnt the guy in the daihatsu die on the way to the track or something like that?

SochBAT
10-07-2005, 05:25 PM
Being as everyone and their moms knew how drifting started, roots based in mountains, they were never charged fees for running touge. It was a spirited pasttime for japanese drivers, not about $ or anything like that, its the thrill of the ride. And for the person that says drifting is the Japanese Lifestyle, while its a weekend thing for US drivers, i'd say its the other way around.

While most Japanese drivers do run pretty often, its not their lives. Some have their foot in the doorstep with their own companies, or daughter-companies. Some are the run of the mill accountants. You catch my drift, all that jazz, but whereas Americans pursue drifting as a career. Talk to people, and you'll see.

Japanese see drifting as a way to releave stress, and have fun.

Americans see driftings as a way to make money and get known.

Brian
10-07-2005, 05:35 PM
I see drifting as a pure hobby. nothing else.
The money I spend on my car is NOT an investment. It is a pure loss.
Why do i do it?
It is easily the most fun thing I've done. ever. hands down.
I'm pretty much broke now, but I have had a lot of fun, and will continue doing so.
i drift as often as i can afford it, and never take it seriously.
I know there are other people who have my same mindset with this whole crazy thing.
I must say that I don't care for a LOT of the drifters here, simply because they do it to try and make money or beat other people.
blah blah blah
I have and will always do(ne) it for fun. period.

420sx
10-07-2005, 06:22 PM
thats a good way to look at cars. i have to agree with your view on things. im just like that plus i dont plan on selling my car to anyone. i will part that bitch out to the bare frame before someone else gets it