PDA

View Full Version : will i lose torque when going hi comp?

driftkid316
09-30-2005, 11:01 PM
just wondering, if i were to go hi compression in the kade, would i lose any or alot of torque. just wondering because im considering going that route and dont wana lose the wonderful torqueyness of the KA. also, going hi comp, is it gona eat up my gas more like when turbocharging? would i have to up the injectors like in turbo cars also? thanks for the helph

wootwoot
09-30-2005, 11:24 PM
Would gain torque since there would be more force per combustion event. Yes it will eat more gas and you are going to have to use premium.

ranisron
09-30-2005, 11:30 PM
won't it be eating more gas above certain rpms?? i.e. 3500 rpm.

I can imagine shitty city gas mileage on a hi-comp.

wootwoot
10-01-2005, 09:36 AM
It will eat more gas at every rpm

S14DB
10-01-2005, 11:47 AM
How will it "eat more gas?" Please, explain the physics to me wootwoot...

MakotoS13
10-01-2005, 11:51 AM
i seriously think it'd be more productive to build a supercharger kit than to build a high comp NA KA powerplant. you'd have torque and that wonderfull blower whine.

theicecreamdan
10-01-2005, 12:23 PM
i had an alternator with an open diode and it sounded like i had a supercharger.

Andrew Bohan
10-01-2005, 03:18 PM
my hi comp ka was fun until i blew it up. (about 150 miles once i got it running right).

it was definately more powerful than a stock KA, but not quite as powerful as a stock SR. maybe about 3/4 of the way between KA and SR. torque was maybe a little closer to SR than that.

wootwoot
10-01-2005, 03:20 PM
I'm actually not to sure now that I started to think about it. A higher compression motor uses the same volume of air it is just compressed more before ignited. I was thinking "more air is compressed so more fuel must be added" which isnt true. My mistake, had never really thought to much about it before. Is that second thought right atleast?

S14DB
10-01-2005, 07:46 PM
Yeah, the higher compression the faster the fuel is burned. The faster the fuel is burned the more power you get from the charge. Displacement or Volumetric Efficiency changes are the only reasons you would add fuel. You are increasing the amount of Air getting into the cyl. so, you must increase the Fuel. Higher octane fuel burns slower to reduce chance of pre-ignition. but, also doesn't produce as much power.

Turbo/Supercharging increases the VE while artificially increasing the Displacement and CR.