PDA

View Full Version : lost my chance at a good job

09-29-2005, 05:22 PM
i recently applied to ADP, which is like a huge buisness corporation. i wrote this impressive resume and cover letter that i got so much help with and they were all like wow, we'll give u a call and talk about ur qualifications. so i was pretty sure i'd get the job. then they call me and i was like... o i have classes monday wednesday and friday. and they tell me i need to have wednesday open. so the lady was like... let me try to convince my supervisor and i'll get back to u. then 5 minutes later i have a e-mail that says.. sorry but we found a candidate more qualified then u :cry: . and i have shift leader experience and all. damn... im so freaking poor i need a job bad. that places was offering $12/hour too.

any ideas where to work? and with decent pay...
i have too much time, mon and wed i got done with class by 1, tue, and thur, i have no class at all. and fri i can work after 5. and available all saturday. i thought i had a good schedule.... but damn i got screwed over.

ALTRNTV
09-29-2005, 05:28 PM
You should have told them you were available. You can always drop out of the class or schedule it for another time.

09-29-2005, 05:32 PM
hahah man school comes first. although it is tempting to make some bucks right now, gotta finish my education so i can make some real bucks in the future. and im only a freshman in college, so im taking all these GE classes so its hard to reschedule cuz everyones taking them

ALTRNTV
09-29-2005, 05:34 PM
Well, you could have still said you were available. Then you can look at the open classes still available and transfer to them. The worst thing that can happen is you telling them you have school on Wednesday and them turning you down, just like they did.

wootwoot
09-29-2005, 08:48 PM
Valet parking....Why dont people realise how much that shit pays? Also working banquets and things of that sort pay great as well. Find a job in the service industry where you are surronded by the rich, it will pay good espicially if you are polite and attractive

chlatboy
09-29-2005, 09:29 PM
Plus one for BANQUETS and the SHERATON HOTEL!!!

TheSnail
09-29-2005, 10:02 PM
I have not had a job in 4 years. When you need some money, scavange up some money, build a car and flip it on ebay. Just one car a month is like playing with lago's for 30+k a year. You make your own schedual, and go to school. 40hrs work a month @ 75$ per hour.

TheTicTac
09-30-2005, 02:07 AM
I have not had a job in 4 years. When you need some money, scavange up some money, build a car and flip it on ebay. Just one car a month is like playing with lago's for 30+k a year. You make your own schedual, and go to school. 40hrs work a month @ 75$ per hour.

That maybe true in georgia but in Cali, where everybody thinks they are a superstar with a wrench, its nearly impossible to "flip" a car a month and make money.

anyotherone
09-30-2005, 08:12 AM
I'd actually toyed with that idea TheSnail... but I think it would be hard to come away with a profit.

aznpoopy
09-30-2005, 08:31 AM
it can work.

you just need to know the market.

also check out your state laws concerning private party resale of vehicles; some states have limits on how many you can sell per year before you need a license or something.

Big Daddy
09-30-2005, 09:13 AM
i recently applied to ADP, which is like a huge buisness corporation. i wrote this impressive resume and cover letter that i got so much help with and they were all like wow, we'll give u a call and talk about ur qualifications. so i was pretty sure i'd get the job. then they call me and i was like... o i have classes monday wednesday and friday. and they tell me i need to have wednesday open. so the lady was like... let me try to convince my supervisor and i'll get back to u. then 5 minutes later i have a e-mail that says.. sorry but we found a candidate more qualified then u :cry: . and i have shift leader experience and all. damn... im so freaking poor i need a job bad. that places was offering $12/hour too.

any ideas where to work? and with decent pay...
i have too much time, mon and wed i got done with class by 1, tue, and thur, i have no class at all. and fri i can work after 5. and available all saturday. i thought i had a good schedule.... but damn i got screwed over.
try verizon wireless. i know they are hiring. i start on monday with them.

Agent_S13
09-30-2005, 11:49 AM
Sorry to hear that but at least they let you know they found a new candidate.

As I was approaching my last year of college, I interviewed with PG&E (Local Utilities company) for a computer tech support job. I did the full phone interviews and even had the panel interview with 4 people bombarding me with questions in their office. I knew it was a good sign when I was called into their San Francisco office (with free parking in their building, guy was used to parking executive cars so I heard him rev my car and echo throughout the garage)

Anyways, I never heard from them again. A year later I went back to my school's career fair and actually met with the same person I interviewed with a year ago.

Me: "Hi here's my resume..."
Her: "Thanks." (Scans resume and looks at me) "You look familiar, did we ever meet before?"
Me: "Um yeah, I interviewed with you last year and NEVER heard back from you regarding the position."
Her: "What? No one ever told you? Well we filled that position already..."
Me: "Yeah, I figured that since I'm standing in line handing out my resume and talking to you right now..."

She apologized again and a week later after seeing that manager, I get a letter from their HR Dept saying that the position I applied for back in 2003 was filled... Umm, yeah.

It doesn't matter though, got me a job and ironically is a few blocks away from PG&E in the city. Maybe I'll go there in a few years but it will be for something completely different than a computer tech support job.

Just keep looking and throwing resumes out there. My current job took me over a year to contact me regarding a position. It really just came out of the blue and I forgot I even gave them my resume.

How long I'll be here... I dunno. :x:

-Aaron
'91 240sx coupe