PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane rita emergency supply checklist (have a list... got suggestions?)

tastyratz
09-22-2005, 10:26 AM
ok i have friends in houston stuck in the city with traffic and no gas or anything so i want to help them prepare by making a checklist of things they need for the event of an emergency (obviously will happen.) Those of you stuck there or with people you know who are stuck this list could be beneficial to you. If a mod could possibly sticky this for everyone to have that would really be great. Please keep b.s. useless posts down to a minimum and make this constructive. So far ive come up with:

Food that wont go bad
Plenty of water
Flashlights
batteries (rechargable? make sure they are all charged)
Matches/lighter
candles
blankets
big ass hammer if you get trapped, need to get through debris, etc.
Video camera so you can film the crazy ish
Knife with a sheath/retractable handle in case of debris
Towels/even the shower curtain to buffer impact in the event of building structural intergrity loss. If your kids play sports do you have helmets/knee pads/ etc around?
Leather jackets are good for safety on many accounts
Tupperwear to store these things in to prevent damage
Does anyone take medication? Put your medication in the box too.
Bandages
cell phones/laptop if you have it. Fully charge it BEFORE the event in case you lose power
General Medical books in case of an emergency situation and something happens your prepared to play doctor.
Fire extinguisher
Changes of clothes
Gun and ammo : sucks to think about but people get crazy in emergencies and your better off the loaded guy than the guy behind the barrel.
If possible a little camping grill/propane torch/ etc if you need to cook or anything else crazy.
Do you have any pets? Prepare to store your pets in a safe location during the storm.
Bathroom may be the safest place to be because your going to have chemicals and supplies available to you you might need. IF it has a window... Board it. If theres anything glass sharp or unstable high up or anything in there take it out.
Have a basement? Due to flooding risk remove any needed supplies from the basement.
Have alot of extra supplies? Make a main room to go to and prepare everything putting it all in the tupperwear that you can or in the tub, etc. If you have enough to DEFINITELY spare then prepare a second room as a disaster relief area so you can evacuate to there in case of any issues making the originally planned room an issue.

If your house is safe then its your house, however I highly recommend going to a larger building thats considered safe like a high school, hospital, police department, etc. Someplace you can hole up inside with a strong structure. If you go to someplace new or else to hole up pick some place your familiar with if you can, when you get there learn your exit routes

Im not religious but i think you all know what i mean when i say godspeed. Good luck with everyone I hope this is helpful and people can contribute to help others get through this that are unfortuanately trapped in the storm.

MakotoS13
09-22-2005, 10:32 AM
looks like i'm gonna be hangin in a bank with my mom. i'd be up north if it wasn't for her. anyhow, i figure the safest place is with america's money ;)

dont forget:

gun/ammo in case of trouble. guns are like condoms even if you prolly wont need it its better to have one if you don't then not have one if you do.

kandyflip445
09-22-2005, 10:38 AM
I hope your car is in storage Doug. :wtc:

tastyratz
09-22-2005, 10:53 AM
Good idea for the gun. People can get pretty crazy in an emergency and unfortuanately it sucks to think about but your right. fuck your car right now prepare your ish to stay alive think about your car later.

WilloW
09-22-2005, 11:29 AM
"Gun and ammo : sucks to think about but people get crazy in emergencies and your better off the loaded guy than the guy behind the barrel."

I was going to say the same thing, if you could get those MREs (Meals Ready to Eat) it beats eating out of a can. Good luck.

MakotoS13
09-22-2005, 11:48 AM
the car and all the other stuff i'd have a hard time replacing is in a warehouse which happens to have insurance covering everything imaginable. SO, if the car gets jacked or jacked up... i get money to refurnish my house that will undoubtedly be jacked as well.

always have a plan:

1 store valuables
2 stock up on food and water
3 have stuff to do (acoustic guitar and video games if you have power)
4 stock up on weaponry: shotty, axe, knife, chain bolo and brass knuckles

kandyflip445
09-22-2005, 12:29 PM
Now would be the time to go pick up a M16 and the bolt to make it auto. lol

theicecreamdan
09-22-2005, 12:43 PM
it takes some machine work to make an AR15 automatic = M16 right?

kandyflip445
09-22-2005, 01:05 PM
Yeah. AR15=M16 pretty much. I dunno if it's the bolt or what. But there is a way to make it auto.

tastyratz
09-22-2005, 02:10 PM
Please keep b.s. useless posts down to a minimum and make this constructive.

:ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

guys making an automatic machine gun, constructing rocket launchers from pvc, how to kill people 30 ways with your thumb isnt exactly the goal here come on lets keep the useless bs out off the thread so it can be helpful to people who could use it without sifting 10 pages of b.s.